Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

You must not have been following the Olympics

Thomas, 22, who spent the previous three years swimming with the men’s team before she began transitioning to a woman, has created an uneasy environment in the locker room, as she still retains her biologically male genitalia — which are sometimes exposed — and is attracted to women, one teammate told the Daily Mail in an interview.

The swimmer told the outlet that other team members have spoken to the team’s coaches about possibly getting Thomas to change elsewhere from the rest of the team, but those discussions haven’t gone anywhere

Transgender swimmer Lia Thomas admitted she is still dating women.Penn Athletics

“Multiple swimmers have raised it, multiple different times,” she said. “But we were basically told that we could not ostracize Lia by not having her in the locker room and that there’s nothing we can do about it, that we basically have to roll over and accept it, or we cannot use our own locker room.”

She added, “It’s really upsetting because Lia doesn’t seem to care how it makes anyone else feel. The 35 of us are just supposed to accept being uncomfortable in our own space and locker room for, like, the feelings of one.”

White was sent to the female prison estate on the basis of self-identification as a woman, despite having had neither surgery nor hormone treatment.

Convicted paedophile White was imprisoned on remand for grievous bodily harm and multiple rapes and other sexual offences against women.

From 2018 These numbers are from those that admitted to being trans

It said that 60 of the 125 transgender inmates it counted in England and Wales were serving time for a sexual offence.

Remember - those 125 transgender inmates only include people who have had a prison case conference. It won't include transgender people who haven't identified themselves to the prison service or who already have a gender recognition certificate.

Of the 60 serving time for sexual offences:

• 27 were convicted of rape (plus a further five of attempted rape)
    • 13 were convicted of possessing, distributing or making indecent images of children
    • 13 were convicted of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault
    • Nine were convicted of causing or inciting a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity
    • Seven were convicted of sexual activity with a child
    • Seven were convicted of indecent assault or gross indecency

Those numbers add up to more than 60 because some prisoners are serving time for more than one offence.

We don't know the gender of the victims or perpetrators in these cases.

The Scottish Prison Service says the 17 trans prisoners it counted were serving time for a range of crimes, including some sexual offences. But it wouldn't tell us precisely how many had been convicted of a sexual offence.

A more detailed Breakdown

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/18973/pdf/

Comparisons of official MOJ statistics from March / April 2019 (most recent official count of transgender prisoners):

76 sex offenders out of 129 transwomen = 58.9%

125 sex offenders out of 3812 women in prison = 3.3%

13234 sex offenders out of 78781 men in prison = 16.8%

I'll leave it at that because we don't know if someone is just faking it or truly believes they are of another sex.

Post edited by spookwoman on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've always been a listener of Talk radio, usually UK than Irish. Like this forum actually, I find it educational, in that you get to hear what ordinary people think, than say watching some short time restricted discussions on Prime Time type shows, where you have politicians and heads of NGO's come on with their prepared mini speech's given in response to a question where often their response doesn't even address the question that was asked.

Your comments on Livenline types shows is an argument for not entertaining them at all. Your link to the Savage satire piece shows that these kind of shows do represent people as they really are in a way that participants on PrimeTime shows doesn't, and I think that is valuable for everyone, which is what I was getting at when I said that Liveline discussions exposes people for what they are really like (what 'type they are') when I referred earlier to Liveline discussions on homosexuality yesteryear.

So for example, a caller against homosexuality presents their rational augment against it. But it would transpire that that particular caller is actually a religious zealot. Similarly a pro trans everything caller may argue their case but be exposed as a lgbt zealot, and even an anti-trans caller could be exposed as a anti-trans everything bigot. Or you have people simply making rational arguments that are not zealots of any kind.

I'm defending those types of shows to exist for the reasons I've outlined, and that is why I don't think this thread is specifically about trans inclusive language, it's more about shutting down debate, free speech, etc.

What did I say that was Transphobic? Or better yet, transphobic insults? Be specific. None of these vague accusations.

Alas, the majority of Transwomen don't look that well prepared, and most people could spot them a mile away as being different. Or in many cases, as a man dressed as a woman.

What is transphobic about that? Most Trans can't afford the expensive surgical or hormonal treatments, along with re-education lessons (speech therapy, posture training, etc) that would be required to begin to match what a biological woman would look like. And that's if they wanted to do a full transition, which many don't.

So, what's transphobic about stating that? Is it the idea that a Trans person can't easily change their appearance enough to pass as a biological woman, and so, gain access to female only spaces without being noticed? Which is what you asserted. That Transwomen had been using female toilets for decades.

Letter from a group of organisations (Amnesty, TENI, etc and suprisingly FLAC) published in the IT today (thought trans organisations were boycotting the IT?) stating that their issue with liveline was:

"These episodes of Liveline provided airtime to what we believe was a co-ordinated group of organisations who actively deny the basic humanity and rights of trans and non-binary people. The repeated use of the same speaking points and language is evidence of such co-ordination in our assessment. RTÉ's use of the logo of one such anti-trans organisation in its promotion of the programme was, in our view, a serious error."

I know The Countess organisation was on but what other organisation(s) are they alleging took part in this co-ordination. There seemed to be similar speaking points on both sides why is only one side being accused of some sort of co-ordinated attack?

Its a fairly hyperbolic letter "By positioning whether trans people have a right to exist, are entitled to basic human dignity, have a right to live free of discrimination and harassment as matters of “debate”, Liveline failed to recognise the vulnerability of the trans community, their needs and contributed instead by stigmatising, misrepresenting and further harming trans people.The problem of violence and discrimination against trans people – which was well acknowledged by presenter Joe Duffy during the programme – is important context for any discussion on the rights of trans people. However, we believe on this occasion these dangers and risks were not adequately taken into account in the framing of the discussions.In defending freedom of expression, we must also consider that giving airtime to groups that would deny the basic rights of a minority community has the effect of intimidating and silencing those minorities while also contributing to their stigmatisation and isolation in society."

Why can no group or person who objects to what was said on liveline point to something concrete, why is it always vague safetyism?

I'm surprised FLAC has joined this group, aren't they supposed to be independent? In the UK at least under the Forstater case Gender Critical beliefs are protected under the Equality Act (Ireland's EA is largely the same) "the appeal tribunal concluded the belief that "biological sex is real, important and immutable" met the legal test of a "genuine and important philosophical position", and "could not be shown to be a direct attempt to harm others." As such these beliefs were afforded protection under the Equality Act."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/2022/06/17/trans-equality-together-responds-to-liveline/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not a distraction technique or anything like it. The woman who was giving her opinion made the claim that men as a class, are a threat to women as a class. When pressed on it by Duffy, she admitted that she had ‘a man in her life’, as she put it. Duffy isn’t on a salary of €400k a year for nothing - he knows exactly the kind of people he wants on his show to make a good show for his audience. @AllForIt hit the nail on the head earlier- he plays devils advocate with guests who he knows have a hair trigger.

The point I was making about ‘a man in a dress’, is because that’s entirely the stereotype of the bogeyman that is portrayed as a threat to women and children in changing rooms, ie - the claim is made that self-ID legislation allows men who want to attack women, to enter women’s changing rooms to do so. We’ve had self-ID legislation here for 7 years, and in that time there has never been an issue of men who claim to be women, attacking women and children in changing rooms.

That’s why I said it was remote. That’s why I said women don’t live their lives in constant fear and anxiety that they’re going to be attacked by a man in a dress. That’s why I said I understand why someone who is that paranoid IS that paranoid - because THEY read the news. They go looking for these stories, just like you did, and came back with a story from the UK about a man who was not wearing a dress, who attacked a girl in a public toilet, in the UK.

Of course it’s understandable that people want to avoid these situations, ya think like? But the point being made is that it’s rubbish to claim that women need to live in constant fear for their lives and the lives of their children on the basis that they could be attacked by a man in a dress as a consequence of self-ID legislation.

If the concerns are for women’s safety, as opponents of self-ID claim, then it appears they should be far more concerned about being attacked by ‘the men in their lives’, than men as a class, let alone the idea that any man would bother to go to the trouble of applying for a gender recognition certificate as part of some devious and cunning master plan to gain access to women’s changing rooms to attack women and children, because that’s always been a criminal offence, regardless of the gender or sex of the sex offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

they are disingenuously attempting to engineer a situation/narrative where people would be afraid to question, disagree or debate their views. Hopefully it will absolutely backfire.. I think it’s starting to.

As Voltaire once said…”I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”.

That should always be a bedrock of freedoms of speech in any democracy, anywhere.

As Voltaire once said…”I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”.

Except Voltaire never said it -

https://amp.checkyourfact.com/2019/09/17/fact-check-voltaire-disapprove-defend-death-right-freedom-speech

Bit awkward 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not awkward, whys is it awkward ? I didn’t know who said it and when looking it up I was informed that he did by multiple sources so he did or he didn’t, but ..I’m certainly in agreement with him or whoever did :) it could be Evelyn Beatrice Hall as it’s also attributed to her..

the point still stands as it relates to the actual topic being discussed. :) which is the important issue not the author of said quote.

Because in making your point about the importance of the right to freedom of speech, you used a quote that nobody ever said. Beatrice Hall was giving it as an example of Voltaire’s thinking -

In the passage where the quote appears, Hall discusses Voltaire’s reaction to news that the government had condemned and burned fellow French philosopher Claude-Adrien Helvétius’ book. Voltaire, according to Hall, did not find the substance of Helvétius’ work particularly impressive but was still dismayed by French Parliament’s actions.

That’s where the whole idea of defending the right to freedom of speech comes from - the idea that anyone should be able to express their opinions without fear of prosecution by the STATE. It doesn’t seek to protect anyone from condemnation by people who disagree with them.

In any case it’s irrelevant here because you don’t and wouldn’t defend anyone’s right to freedom of expression, which is a good thing for you, because you don’t have to. The right to freedom of expression is already recognised in the Irish Constitution, and upheld by the State, and it is a limited right, meaning nobody has the right to just say whatever they like -

6 1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality: –

i The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

The education of public opinion being, however, a matter of such grave import to the common good, the State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en#article40

And because the State has a responsibility to ensure that organs of public opinion (in this case, RTE), are not used to undermine public order or the morality or the authority of the State, this is why the Oireachtas Committee on Committee on Tourism, Culture, Arts, Sport and Media are inviting RTE to a meeting to discuss the issues which have resulted from the broadcasts -

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0615/1304966-rte-dublin-pride/

Quite simply, because RTE have a responsibility to the public, and that public includes people who are transgender, RTE don’t get to enjoy the right to freedom of expression in the same way it relates to individuals, and so this idea that Dublin Pride are disingenuously attempting to engineer a situation/narrative where people would be afraid to question, disagree or debate their views, just doesn’t amount to much at all. Dublin Pride aren’t responsible for a situation engineered by RTE to generate more revenue by attempting to whip the general public up into a moral panic about people who are transgender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that’s just silly talk

I use names all the time , never address people by pronouns, it’s bad etiquette, remember the old saying “who’s SHE the cats mother”

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

FLAC represented Lydia Foy in her actions against the state regarding legal recognition of Transgender person's true identity.

Except RTE didn't "whip the public into a moral panic". It was a moderate, reasoned debate between the two sides.

The fact that the core component of Transgender ideology has been exposed, once again, as being wafer-thin, is not the fault of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

So RTE, and everyone must follow suit, only present the view of Trans activist. And ANY other divergent point of view will be condemned as bigoted hateful etc.

That makes absolutely no sense, and is frighteningly intolerant and censorious, extremist . But these are the times we are living in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Funny reading that now, that in 2011:

"It also proposed ‘compulsory divorce’ – that married trans persons must divorce before they can be recognised in their true gender – to avoid the possibility of same-sex marriages."

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly. I was told earlier there was no fearmongering in this thread but you have just highlighted some of the fearmongering.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There is no fearmongering from anyone.

It's a total and deliberate fabrication to shut down debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

RTE's responsibility to the public is to facilitate reasoned discussion on topics of public interest and to conduct the discussions fairly. All the evidence suggests that Liveline did this. The discussion was over multiple days. So, anyone who wanted to contact them had plenty of opportunity. I heard Joe Duffy say they made several attempts to contact the Irish Council for Civil Liberties who released a particularly critical statement about the first program, but they didn't reply. That suggests that some of these organisations, who signed that letter to the Irish Times, don't want fair reasoned discussion on the subject.

If I've understood that correctly, it seems the argument is that freedom of speech does exist in this country - but not when it comes to discussing trans- issues.

How convenient!

When the vast majority of people within these organisations can't, or more likely won't, even answer the simple question "What is a woman?" without losing their tempers or giving answers with zero logical backing, you cannot expect a reasoned discussion from them.

A public discussion exposes the entire framework of the ideology; that it is a house built on a foundation of paper. The reality is that even these staunch defenders of it, know this deep down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I know a very, very funny thing about the ICCL on this topic and Goddamn it I really wish it wouldn't get a few people sacked and a whole shitstorm if I shared all the details. Suffice it to say they've become quite a bit "harder" in their stance in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Male = XY, Female = XX, why is that fact so hard for people to understand, sex is sex, it's not subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Duffy isn’t on a salary of €400k a year for nothing'

Lol

They would argue, if I've gotten this correctly, that there's a difference between the objective XY and the subjective gender of "maleness" and so, if they feel they are inwardly "female-ness", then this contradicts the XY and so they need to transition to live as a female to match the "female-ness" they feel.

Now I agree with you 100% that biological sex is biological sex and gender is a social construction, but I think that's the perspective they're arguing from.

“The woman who was giving her opinion made the claim that men as a class, are a threat to women as a class”

this clearly true, on aggregate. men on average are more violent, more aggressive, more likely to engage in sexual assault and so on.

Well, the CSO reports that "81.1% of victims of sexual violence recorded in 2019 were females, while 18.9% were males; and 98% of suspected offenders of detected sexual violence crime reported in 2018 were male" - so that generalisation is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Transpeople and women alike need to be protected from people like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I really don't see why someone who genuinely wanted to change their gender would then go and want to be labeled as something else, or say stuff like women have penises too.

Identify as what you want but for fukcs sake would they quit with all these labels.

LGBTQ2+ us now doing the rounds... wtf. It's like people created a bunch of really obscure and specific terms so they could act like they were the victim of some made up injustice.

• Advertisement

Well, it's even more complicated than my terse explanation above.

Many people forget that non-binary is also included as part of trans-; and is effectively a limitless list of what you can identify as, and isn't limited to the concepts of maleness and femaleness. For example; there is Novigender, which is defined as "having a gender that can’t be described using existing language due to its complex and unique nature".

Advertisement