Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Shefflins 2 yellows and the ensuing hullabolloo spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Simply no comparison. Everybody in their right mind knows the story there. Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Will be interesting to see how two quarters go and whether the apparent gap in standards between the provinces materialises.

Hard to know, but way too much was made of the supposed gulf in quality between the two respective provincial finals at U20 this year.

On the other hand, I feel two easy wins for Cork and Clare would leave me very pessimistic about our prospects.

"Stupid stats"?

Anyone who ignores stats that tells you a player coughs up lots of ball, distributes poorly and concedes heavily to markers, is mental.

Cody still brings a lot to the party but he is old school and stubborn, and in all walks of life (not just sports) putting faith in "intangibles" like gut feel and midas touch is hokum.

Look at the Limerick team, it's too easy to just say "ah they're all great players". a lot of Limerick's players were nothing special as 19-21 year olds. 4-5 years ago I wouldnt have been blown away by Flanagan, Hegarty, O' Donoghue, Donovan or even Sean Finn and Peter Casey, but now all are quality players. But they became quality players by Kinnerk and Kiely coaching them in good habits and by working tirelessly on their flaws etc. and endless anaylysis of their games. Not by just telling them to go out and play and "show me what you're made of"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Rosita

But in fairness to the previous poster I'd be a bit concerned about manager who needed a stats man to point out a player labouring as badly as you describe.

• Advertisement

True but I also believe Cody is an excessively stubborn man who hates to be proven wrong. He also has a blind spot in rarely taking off defenders. Tipp full forward line 2-16 from play in 2016 yet our entire full back line saw out the whole match. Leaving Reid and Deegan on versus wexford last month when they were both having a nightmare and actually setting up repeated Wex attacks and scores.

His stubborness should have cost us the 2003 AI but was saved by Shefflin and Gorta. Back to back AI defeats by Cork would have seen him off and history would have been different.

Henry resuced at least three All Irelands (2003, 2009 and 2012) that looked lost for us, making Cody's recent behaviour towards him even more distasteful for me.

Cody has been a great general but also a lucky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

It’s what I thought. Is that official or do I determine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I have no problem with Henry managing Galway but at least it's burying the myth that the Ballyhale style of hurling easily translates to county hurling. Easy puck ball into a full forward that contains Cody, TJ and Fennelly at club level but this is a different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭blackcard

So either Clare or Wexford in the semifinal. Kilkenny would have taken that at the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Galway have to play Limerick in the semi-final, so we will play the winners of Clare and Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think I'm right in saying that the semi-final against Clare will be the first time the two counties will have met in the championship since 2006.

That's correct I'd say. This should be a great occasion. Harder than ever to get novelty in the championship but this one will have it. Can't imagine Brian Cody will be thinking anything other than route one against that Clare full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

An exciting finish covers over two poor enough games but like ourselves in the leinster final the winning teams won't mind too much. A couple of howlers from a few of the goalies stand outs but the galway goalie had a much better game.As I said Henry has no magic wand and galway were lucky cork were so wasteful and the horgan incident probably backfired. They'll regret not bringing on cadogan earlie aswell.Cork were so wasteful it was criminal. Lehane missed a few frees and the head kind of went. Whelan is a serious player but donaghoe having a look around instead of gobbling up that ball for the goal sums things up for cork. I couldn't understand how did not try pull the gakway big defenders around and put a man marker on cathal mannion but mannion went to town near the end.

Wexford will also be disgusted it was a game they very easily could of won but the two recks were big losses along with roc. Have they trouble getting over the line? Chin should of had a penalty near the end. Clares subs very influential bit fannings howler was turning point.Clare had a lot of dirty petrol in the tank as I thought after coming down from that epic match with Limerick.wexford had their tactics spot on and I thought the 2 rocks going off turned this game cause Taylor,Shane o donnell and tk really came into it in the last ten mins

Cody will be giddy with the thoughts of dropping missiles in on the full forward because clare looked vulnerable with the long ball in on their full back line but this should bring on clare and although I'd give us a chance we've a poor record against them. We need to get our match ups right lads like Ryan Taylor,Shane o donnel and tk are key players.looking at kelly he reads the game so well he stands just outside the rucks and runs on to the breaking ball. He'll probably go with browne,butler and fogarty to sacrifice their game to nullify these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i recken some clare players are running on empty , we almost have a better bench then starting players in several positions

cleary is a great man to hold the full forwards hurl , he was on a yellow when wexford started bombing high ones on top of him , clare droped malone in to center back and john conlon to sweeper to counteract it and it actually worked until cian noaln almost gave away a penalty at the end

it will be a really good game in two weeks time either side will give limerick hell in the final . so "off you go now" as cody would say and best of luck for the rest of the year......handshakes are for wimps as del boy trotter would say!! 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Great post although I was wondering about the "poor record against them". I don't put any store in league results, and we haven't played them in champo since Lohan was on the team (unless I'm forgetting a meeting since 2006?), so can't see that being a factor. I think they have better hurlers overall than us but we have a lot more battle in us than Wexford showed today, if it's in the mix near the end it will be some craic, two teams that would go through a wall for their managers.

The thing about wanting to drop ball on the edge of the square is understandable after today, but I hope Cody's instinct to play all route one is kept in check, our biggest weakness is when we get predictable. Quilligan is unlikely to have as bad a day twice in a row. Varying our attack is our best hope. That said, great day for tj to be in full forward looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

we almost have a better bench then starting players in several positions

Well that's an interesting one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

as i say i reckon some of the current first team are running on empty .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Clare had their bubble burst abit yesterday. It ll ve a tough battle now in the semi. That Clare full back line were exposed yesterday but you would think Lohan will sort that out. Kilkenny would have been better off if Clare won by ten.

Cork left that first game behind them. Again Galway will improve but if they are as open against that Limerick attack then it's curtains. I think they ll test Limerick but if Limerick have Casey and Lynch back available on the bench then it would take a herculean performance from Galway. Make no mistake,Cork ran through them like water through a grate yesterday.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Even though Galway were never led yesterday they look disorganised and won it through individual plays rather than any semblance of a game plan. They will be well beaten by Limerick.

The other semi-final is Kilkenny's to lose at this stage you would think.

Clare are 4/6 favs so no idea what you're on about there

• Advertisement

Personal opinion. Don't check bookmakers. Limerick we're seventh favourites to win the 2018 All Ireland so the bookmakers saying it doesn't make it so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

....don't check bookmakers...... but knows they were 7th favourites in 2018. Yes, bookies too get it wrong - shock!

Clare are 4/5 and Kilkenny 5/4 not a whole lot of difference but enough to suggest that ' it's Kilkenny's to lose' is a bit rich.

But you missed the bit where I said I don't check the bookmakers before offering an opinion.

By the way the 2018 stuff was easily googleable. It was an obvious one to show that bookmakers' odds are often baloney in the end.

"Often"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But you missed the bit where you said you don't check bookmakers....before going away and googling Bookies odds from 4 years ago ( on an outright market rather than an actual match) to try to back up your opinion.

Either way, I reckon your opinion that it's Kilkenny's to lose is one you share on your own - especially in this thread.

Bookies don't have to be right all the time to make money.

I never claimed to share the opinion with anyone. And I never mentioned that bookies have to be right all the time to make money. That's nothing to do with me. Never commented on their business model whatsoever. You are arguing against points I never made.

Apart from making the point that bookies odds are often balony in the end - odds being literally the definition of a bookies business.

I never claimed that you share your opinion with anyone either - the opposite was actually implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Is somebody looking for attension.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

You would forget that O loughlins club goes out to Johnswell village.

• Advertisement

Advertisement