Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

Personally I think Galway have the players but I'm not convinced about the management and coaching.

Just hard to say a team has worked on all the variables when our kick outs and pressing kick outs is below the required level.

Kickouts alone can be worth about a +6/-6 per game based on how you press and retain. So we're starting with a handicap.

However in players like Walsh, there is some top level quality there. Comer can run at people like nobody else in Ireland in terms of sheer power which forces teams to foul him.

The footballers should only get better as the age profile is already young and the last few years at underage have been fairly successful after a barren spell of nearly 10 years without a minor Connacht.

I'd have more faith in us winning a football title than the hurling based on both squads, I can't see Mayo getting any better(their main players are all 30+) so Connacht won't be getting any harder. There's always a few easy 1/4s knocking around and you'll get lucky some years.

I think we might just need a new management to push us on further though. If we lose to whoever, but give a good account of ourselves and don't get wiped out in some needless stat area like kickouts won/lost, I'd accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

My view on how i think AI championship will play out

Clare aren't big scorers and the 2-15 total they got on Saturday said more about Roscommons lack of defending. A more organised Derry should beat Clare by 4 to 6 points.

Galway have a decent balance between defence and attack (Cian O'Neill a good addition) Croke Park will suit Galways best and in form players in Conroy, Comer, S Kelly, S Walsh so I'd give them the edge by a point or two.

Dublin by at at least 12 points against Cork.

Mayo to die with their boots on Kerry by narrow margin and plenty of question marks.

Semi finals

Galway gave Derry a trimming already this year. How much Derry have really improved will be seen here. I'd give Galway the edge again and have a feeling the game decided on a debatable call by the officials.

Kerry v Dublin will be a sell out and a high scoring energy sapping contest. Dublin to win with a late score deep into injury time and prove they haven't gone away yet.

Galway v Dublin AI final. I'd expect competitive match for around 55 minutes and then for Dublins superior fitness and conditioning to take over and win by about 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Unpopular opinion but Walsh is a show pony who can score great goals against Cork in the league but goes missing in big games.

Super talented footballer, great when the team is going well, lacks any big game mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Destroyed Mayo in the first half last year. Biggest rivals on the big day. We all know the tactics Mayo used to put an end to his involvement.

Man of the against Roscommon this year in the Connacht final. Second biggest day of the year.

Galway in big trouble in the 2018 Connacht Final down by three at half time. Shane Walsh again man of the match and dragged us through.

After the Mayo game this year maybe COC could link in with him for a few lessons how to kick off his left.

Gladly keep our show pony over forwards who time and again fail on the biggest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Robson99

Sounds like a lot of the Mayo forwards when it comes to All Ireland Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Can't believe you said that with the problems Mayo have in getting scores from their forwards. It's like drawing blood from a stone to get some of them to even shoot.

Shane Walsh is class. Would be a massive addition to the Mayo team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway basically came out of nowhere with a load of young fellas to win the All Ireland that year. A large number had won the Hogan cup just a couple of years previously with Jarlaths and some won a Siegerson with Tralee IT after that but that team was loaded with Kerry stars and even Jim McGuinness. They had no pedigree in intercounty.

I'm not suggesting they'll win the All Ireland but they had about as much history as the present team and some similar quality players. They could well fall on their sword next sunday as I'm not convinced of the sideline more than the squad. But I wouldn't rule them out beating Dublin either. This is not the Dublin team of old. They've beaten no one of consequence this year and all the hype is based round beating a Kildare team who decided to give Dublin 30m of space in front of their full back for 40mins.

When you say the tactics Mayo used I presume you're talking about this, where Walsh tries to check O'Hora's run by grabbing him.

As the saying goes if you don't start nothin, there won't be nothin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah I remember Donegal won their most recent Sam in 2012 v Mayo. I am not sure who was favourites but would have assumed it was Mayo? Long ball to Murphy within two minutes or so. Bang early goal = game over. Atmosphere is whole ground changed.

And in 2010 Down played Cork. From what I remember from it Down were nervy and never really got going.

Then there is the 2011 one where Dublin beat Kerry against the run of play. Kerry were coasting to victory and the Dublin goal changed the whole dynamic and atmosphere of the game.

To me it is more moments that change change games. What does 'tradition' do only bring pressure IMO. Whether it is an expectation to win like Kerry fans have. Or the hope to break a 'traditional cycle' of losing finals that Mayo have.

Dublin threw away a good few AI's in the 90's because of that expectation of winning. They didn't know what to do when Down AIF, Donegal AIF, and Derry AISF got momentum. Weren't able to turn it their way, as favourites.

But when all is said and done it is moments in games that change tradition. One boot of a ball, or bounce, tackle, goal, inspirational point etc can transform a counties mindset.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Hard get good tickets for the Sunday fixtures?

• Advertisement

Walsh puts his arms across him so O Hora slams him to the ground. Clap clap fair play. Seeing the antics of the O Connors et al against Galway in recent times its no wonder you feel that is an appropriate response. It's obviously what being a top team and getting over the line on the big day is all about.

Oh wait these players haven't gotten over that line. Silly me.

Problem is that Galway do not have the quality of backs that they had in their late 90s early 00s era. But if they manage to stay in games somehow, any team with the likes of Shane Walsh in it, is capable of turning a game on its head.

Sure we all know when Galway get their chance they'll win the all Ireland.

Did ye get word yet whether yer allowed win it this year?

Are you codding? If Mayo had a Shane Walsh they would have probably a three in a row won! I always said if Mayo and Galway merged would be a top notch team. No weakness. Just pick mostly Mayo backs, mix midifield and pick the mostly Galway forwards. It has been the same for decades for some reason.

I saw Walsh v Dublin in CP few years ago (2018 AISF) and he was the best player on the pitch by miles. That is including the Dublin players! I remember saying 'Jayus he is too good for Galway!' 'Didn't know he was that good!'

I'm sure that made sense in your head. I'll leave you to your echo chamber.

FWIW I wouldn't count Connacht final as a big game, in Walsh's two biggest games he was held scoreless from play against Tipp in 2016 and scored a late goal when the match was done to bolster his personal tally against Dublin in 2018.

Come back to me when he does it in Croke Park

Walsh scored 1-5 v Dublin in the 2018 AISF v Dublin. (3 frees rest from play). Games top scorer.

Everytime he got the ball he seemed a real danger. Basically Walsh gives what McDonald used to do for Mayo. An x factor, can play off the cuff. Gives space to others.

I'll let Shane know what he has to do to impress you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Walsh and Galway have a great opportunity to show that they are more than show ponies.

They really have been in the doldrums for 21 years.

Their only championship win in Croke Park in that 21 years was a group game v Kerry, and even though that was a good scalp to take, it was not a knockout game.

They are in the side of the draw with teams their equal or below them, so there really are no excuses.

We'll see what Galway are made of soon enough.

Anyway it is great to see there is no softening of the Mayo v Galway football rivalry judging by the posters on here!

Am just laughing at the craic there would be if there was a Mayo v Galway AIF final. This could be the year??! 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Walsh of 2022 is a different player than the walsh of 16 and 18, a more rounded better conditioned player, he's listened to his coaches in training and learned and moved on, maybe you should too from that old past its sell by date description

To be honest I think Galway have been mismanaged given the players they have. Questionable tactics from the sideline in the past. Didn't get the best out of what they have IMO anyway.

Mayo the opposite, funny enough, the last day v Kildare was typical Mayo they found a way despite having no scoring forwards. It is hard way to win a match. Mayo sideline has a cleverness, despite the fact they pick Aidan O'Shea to start sometimes. As far as I am concerned a starting AOS is giving 4 points up to the opposing team at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not starting AOS for the last few months has not been an option for Mayo with injuries and both midfield and half back line.

If Flynn is fit enough then he starts with AOS coming on as a sub, if Flynn is not then vice versa.

That's my take on it anyway.

Galway back six wasn't that great in 98. Sure you had lads like De Paor who was a super footballer, but Gary Fahy was no more than solid. Divilly was decent but no Seamus Moynihan. Ray Silke was a decent leader but not a great footballer. Tomas Meehan was a newbie. I'd argue that the back six now are as good or better football wise but the coaching has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Got lower Cusack 305. Presume more lower Cusack and Hogan will come online at some stage when clubs give back their allocation and season tickets are mostly finished buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭doc_17

Galway v Armagh is the only really interesting quarter final. Walsh v O’Neil will most likely decide it. If either team can hold the opposition star man and their own can fire, that could tip it.

Kerry and Dublin will win handy and Derry will be too good for Clare. Hope I’m wrong though.

The AI semi between Dublin and Kerry will be a sellout.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Derry and Clare will look close and Kerry Mayo the same but the result won't be in much doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was hoping after someone else said that but someone else here said there was talk of 60 or 70k already sold :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Yeah few ends tickets or first few rows on Hogan in corners available? What do people think typically do more attractive tickets become available? Looks like it may sell out on the Sunday.

Advertisement