Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Arrgggh!!

Still not up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Have they entered the PPPoE configuration correctly? We say an incident here before where the installer just hadn't set up the PPPoE login on the modem (In that case it was a Digiweb Fritzbox)

I dint know, the nbi guys had said that vodafine had not provisioned my account, and they tested my line by enabling it in the nbi network itself!

They said yesterday before they left that I needed to ring vf to get it provisioned, which I did. Vf said it can take up to 24hrs, but normally much faster than that.

Still no sign if it and rang vf to check and they said that their nbi team were not working over weekends so will have to wait till Monday, but it might come up in the mean time before then..... very annoying, and vf cust care us actually quite frustrating to deal with.

I've logged on to the modem but it seems very basic, cand find wan settings etc, appears to be hidden!

Looks like Monday now to get it activated, thats frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Significant training programmes and additional recruitment of resources overseas are among the measures currently under way to accelerate the roll-out of the National Broadband Plan (NBP), according to the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications.

It will announce additional subcontractor capacity early next week which “will support our commitment to getting the project roll-out back on track”, a spokesman for the NBI said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/technology/consumer-tech/2022/06/13/monday-print-broadband-news-story/

• Advertisement

Well finally enabled, 1gb product, here are my speed test results

Wireless (directly in front of gigabox modem and using samsung s21 ultra

DL 558, UL 112

Wired, CAT6A directly in to back of router, windows machine 1gb ethernet conenction (via usb adaptor) and using ookla speed test app (not web browser)

DL 90 UL 113

Thats dissapointing, wondering if my issue is the usb dongle, but it says it is 1gb capable

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I looked up the NBI rollout & the map shows Network build in progress for Clondalkin but when I searched my eircode it says my address is not included as other providers have said they can provide 30MBS at my address.

Eir's website says I can only get up to 7MBS. I do have virgin but I'm hate the yearly increases & battles to get a discount. I was hoping NBI would add some competition.

Is just having virgin enough to be excluded from the rollout?

Siro used to list Clondalkin as planned since 2019 but now they have removed that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What does the open-eir map indicate for your location? open eir broadband checker (arcgis.com)

Just checked my sister's address in Lucan and surprised to see she can get 2 Gbps fibre over the open-eir network. The NBI site says of her address "Internet service providers have indicated that they intend to offer speeds of 30mbps or greater in your locality".

So it looks like if a commercial network provider intends to rollout fibre at some point in the future you won't be included in the NBP rollout.

OK, after a painless install on Friday followed by a few days if frustration with Vodafone getting it provisioned, I am up and running.

Speed tests now showing as 927dl and 108 ul with a wired connection.

Wifi speeds are in excess if 500mb dl and 120 ul on my own unifi access points which are not wifi6 (time to upgrade it think).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is just having virgin enough to be excluded from the rollout?

Yes. The point of the NBP is to bring high speed broadband to places that don't have it, not to put competitive pressure on existing providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

I see the map has gotten some updates last night:

Even more colours/states added. A bunch of places marked as "Survey Completed" now. No purple areas (Survey Planned) on the map at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed that my area gets a survey date soon (in one of the many 2025-26 areas)

They've basically removed any reference to the 2025-2026 timeframe on the map display, but it's still available in the javascript powering the map here:

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Nuphor

Yeah, that's what I'm currently scraping and alerted on changes for (well, that and https://premises-api.nbi.ie/ext/premises/EIRCODE)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

I was May 22- October 22 in East Cork. Now i'm August 22 to October 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

great that you are finally sorted , gives me hope of being connected sooner rather than later

Cobh gone pre order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

NBI increases construction crew numbers by 25% - TechCentral.ie

National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the company delivering the National Broadband Plan, has announced that the total construction workforce delivering the roll-out has now reached over 1,500, with a 25% increase in workers in the first half of 2022. The increase includes 80 additional construction workers deployed to the NBP roll-out as a result of NBI’s new partnership with Gaeltec Utilities.

Excellent!!

how long between going pre order for you and available to order was it for you roughly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

I checked the roll out dates for my area. I am in a relatively new build. We moved in last year. All the houses around us are due for connection between August and October. Ours is "pending survey".

I took it that this was simply because our eircode didn't exist whenever they done the survey. I contacted NBI and they said the house actually has to be surveyed. No time frame. I'm so angry. He could offer no information. We are literally surrounded by houses in the network build stage.

Are they likely to include our house whenever they are putting the infrastructure in place? Anyone experienced this?

• Advertisement

This happened to two new builds on our road in the Tipperary DA. They went straight from Survey Pending to "Ready to Connect" when whole area did. I suspect you'll be fine, and your eircode will go live during the August-October timeframe along with the other houses.

I was curious that you mentioned "when they are putting the infrastructure in". Has there been any work done on your road already? I'd expect there to be at least fibre in place on the poles for those go-live dates.....There may not be DPs (the black boxes on the poles) for a little while longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I emailed digiweb yesterday to say that I was tired of waiting. Today I got a call from KN offering an installation date of 4th July. Coincidence??

So now the fun begins. Is my service duct blocked ? Will I need a pole in the garden ? All will be revealed. I must get onto Digiweb to send the modem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

I'm in a similar situation, but my property was excluded from the initial survey due to an error. Area went live and is due for connection July-August and NBI have told me it will take 6-8 months after go-live to survey my property and have it ready for connection.

I'm hoping what @heavydawson said above is true and the whole thing is a formality.

Thanks for your response and I hope I will be in the same position as your neighbours.

NBI have been out a few times in the area but not 100% on what work has been done. What is frustrating is when they were doing the survey, my house was well under construction and I approached a guy from NBI who was doing a survey and discussed the best position for ducting etc. I have a duct running from a telephone pole close to my house all the way to my utility room. The guy took pictures etc of the ducting. Hopefully it is merely a paperwork thing and I don't have to wait too long more.

It's very frustrating. It seems like there is no logic. It's almost as if you owe them something. The tax payer is spending massive money to put this in place. If they completely missed your house when surveying that is their mistake and they should rectify it as soon as possible.

Don't overthink it, honestly. You'll almost certainly be going live with your neighbors. One thing you can do if you're so inclined is to contact your local broadband officer with your Eircode and ask for a status update. Let them know if you have neighbours either side of you showing they'll be ready to connect in the timeframe you mentioned etc.

I fired off an email to our local officer for the two new builds on our road. They got back to me with a copy of a mail they'd sent to NBI. I heard no more from the officer or NBI, but the Eircodes cut directly over from pending survey to ready for connect when the time came.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

I want Full Fibre (Fibre to the home) I have got an email from NBI saying we have gone, pre-order, and my eircode is showing pre-order, however when i contact the providers they all say we are only Part-Fibre? Is Fibre to the home a separate roll out?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You should probably give your business to providers who know their ass from their elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Got an update today, estimated date went from Jan 2023 - Dec 2024 to July 2024 - Dec 2024....brill

• Advertisement

Sometimes pre ordernstatus in the nbi website is nit reflected in the providers own databases for a few weeks, from personal experience, when u went ore order it took nearly a month before vodafone were updated and I couldnorder through them

Advertisement