Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

If they put as much work into obtaining a work visa and entered the country the proper way, I would be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Economic migrants, but not real refugees" (copyright Daily Mail and Nigel Farage) who don't actually want to work. Surely there are a load of contradictions here? We're supposed to believe they travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of pounds so they can doss around on the UK's virtually non-existent benefits system, the worst in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The latter part of your answer is probably what drives thinking in the likes of the person you're responding to. I doubt they're on the dole, in fact, I'm sure those that aren't dole recipients in the UK idolize it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, since, yinno, Billy down the pub told them about some dole recipients with a house in Spain and a couple Mercedes and of course them brown people are flooding our shores looking to get on that gravy train.

and sure, I heard that one couldn't fit their pushchair on the bus so left it at the stop, because the social would buy them a new one.

And they all get free houses and taxi licences dontchaknow?

The entire debate in GB around the Rwanda scheme seems toxic. Reading the comments in the tabloids, their readers are absolutely convinced that the reason there are hospital waiting lists, shortages of housing, shortages of school places etc is because of people crossing the Channel in dinghies - when studies show that only 6% of immigrants to the UK are refugees or asylum seekers.

Logically, these Rwanda supporters should be campaigning to end 'all' immigration to the UK, no matter where it comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Logically, these people should avoid voting for toxic bigots who ideologically oppose the existence of the state as anything other than a means to funnel pubic money into taxpayers' hands. Instead, they vote for the "f*ck the poor" party and then get surprised when the poor get f*cked. Then they vote for them again.

It's sad to see one of the world's oldest political parties reduced to Stephen Yaxley-Lennon politics but we are where we are.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I saw someone point to the fact that the two biggest UK stories this week were the Irish Protocol and the Rwanda scheme - two totally manufactured 'dead cat' events by Johnson and his many press pals designed to distract and deflect attention away from his failed government. Nadir doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or maybe they just know that people who sail from France to the UK are chancers

What would be so wrong with 'economic migrants' (mostly young people) trying to make their way to the UK to find work? The way the Tory / Brexit guys go on, immigration to a country is an aberration, an unnatural and unwelcome event that needs to be stamped out.

You mean economic migrants who apply for a visa to work in a country legally? Do I need to point out the difference?

Very odd.

• Advertisement

The Brexit voters voted to end EU freedom of movement, did they not? i.e. perfectly legal immigration to the UK by hard working people from the 27 nearest states, but Leave voters decided there was way too many of them coming and they needed to be stopped.

Cameron bragged about how his aim was to reduce net EU immigration to small numbers, May announced in 2017 that it was 'the will of the people' to halt freedom of movement and Patel proudly proclaimed on her Twitter page "We Are Ending Freedom Of Movement" in banner headlines (all about reducing EU immigration to a trickle. no other reason).

Why do you quote my posts when you're just typing unrelated, random stuff rather than replying?

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

End all immigration to the UK and there would be hardly anyone left working in the NHS.

I answered you directly. I pointed out that the Tory / Brexiteer guys have just a big a problem with "legal" immigration to the UK, never mind refugees or asylum seekers. They don't want anyone coming.

The shadow economy constitutes approximately 10 per cent of GDP in the UK

No, but we can appreciate that many will be aware of the shadow/black economy that exists in the UK, and hope to make money illegally/untaxed while also taking welfare (or not). People come to the UK because the perception exists that the potential for high earnings exists, along with having a high standard of living. The diverse ethnic population means that peoples from abroad will see it as an easy place to disappear, and live outside the bounds of the legal system.

The UK has been a choice destination for migrants for decades... up there with Germany. It is what it is.. and while the UK's star has dropped with Brexit, many migrants from 2nd/3rd world countries will be making their decisions on past knowledge (the perception of the UK as opposed to the reality) rather than taking into account current trends.

You're ignoring one of the biggest concerns that native groups have about the UK. The lack of integration or assimilation of foreign groups. That's why they don't want more young foreign migrants.. They don't see any real difference in policy, or effective measures to manage the foreign cultures already established in the UK. Foreign cultures which are growing in population, and influence. You're also ignoring that a rather large chunk of economic migrants of the young male variety, tend to be low skilled, and so, add to the series of problems already existing.

So, the question is whether you try to deal with the population currently existing in the UK.. one way or another... or do you continue to allow foreign groups entry, many of whom have larger families than the native groups, and won't integrate with British cultural norms?

There are no easy answers with this situation... and those who throw out easy answers aren't considering the negatives from each angle. This topic is far too agenda driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Good to see Rwanda is finally getting some multiculturalism.

Utopia is imminent for that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Well, take football as an example, the UK applies very strict Visa rules to footballers, for eg they must have played 75% of their countires international games in the previous 3 years... Now, these are professional footballers with managers/agents etc. Use your massive brain and start going down the food chain of wealth and opportunity and ask yourself is it realistic for an African migrant to do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Jennifer Blair, are you joking , she makes a good living from the asylum industry .

at the end of the day logic must prevail, I know 3 so called successful asylum seekers in Ireland who take regular visits home

Why use a footballer? Use massive brain me, I don't get to rock up to Australia and start living there because I want to. I have to apply, meet the requirements and be given permission to do so.

You apparently think this process of a nation deciding who gets to move to their country to live is some sort of travesty.

Odd.

• Advertisement

Nobody has ever argued that immigration into the UK should stop. The debate has always been about controlling immigration itself.

And on the channel crossings, the UK cannot control migrant crossings if she remains under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights. It's astonishing to me that this Conservative government - who wanted to Get Brexit Done - continues to allow a European organ to override court decisions made in the UK.

Conservative MP, Peter Bone is putting forward legislation this coming Monday on leaving the ECHR. It probably won't be successful, but at some point Priti Patel and Johnson must confront the inevitable reckoning that they cannot control the migrant crisis as long as they remain under the jurisdiction of the ECHR.

Why use a footballer? Because your suggestion was that it was easy, I'm giving you an example of a very high profile profession in a billion pound/euro industry in which the applicant has a manager and it's still very difficult, yet you seem to think someone with no education, who might not read/write, should go through the normal process - if the normal process was possible, do you think they'd trek across Africa and risk their life (and their kids, remember how many of them have drown) to do so? Meanwhile white slothy boards warriors, working hard at internet debating, are siting smug after they won the birth lottery.

"I don't get to 'rock up'(!) to Australia" - Yes, Australia, another famously welcoming jurisdiction.

I didnt say it was easy. 🤔

Still you seem to think whoever rocks up to a nations shores has some sort of right to live there.

Very odd altogether

You implied it was easy. Yes, isn't it amazing that someone could think arbitrary lines drawn on a map may not be ideal.

'Very odd altogether' is something I would use to describe someone with your viewpoint, that by virtue of pure luck, you get a nice life, and be damned if you didn't, or at least, let me review your application for you, might take a while though as I have to beat this guy on the internet, and then I'll come back to it, oh, no sorry, not this year, hopefully you don't starve or get murdered.

I think people with a basic level of reading comprehension will look at my post and realise that I implied nothing.

Nation states are not arbitrary. Nobody is born into their circumstances through luck, let alone pure luck. I think your problem might be with reality. A lot of that about these days. Which I find...very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Nope, analysis of new government data showed that 77 percent of people who arrived by small boat were likely refugees and would be allowed to remain if their claims were assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Really, the likely lads now is it? Look if all of that continent isn’t good enough then they can find another island.

Let’s be putting an end to the literal loopy business; folks.. free up more space on the psych wards

They were seeking refuge from France were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

• Advertisement

People are quite literally born into their circumstances through sheer luck, or are you suggesting you had some influence on where you and to who you were born?

Repeating 'very odd' to anyone with a contrary opinion is juvenile, an attempt at belittling, which is not quite surprising given your views on immigration, and from poster who seems to think they were ordained.

Advertisement