Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

I'm doing GardaIP. I reckon I'll be called soon cos I placed in 300's. I'm finding the course material very good so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Post edited by Witcher on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pat95

Anyone do stage 2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pat95

Anyone any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Not to put a negative spin on it but. 97 Garda suspended atm. In 2015 it was 7, and they would have actually done something serious to warrant it. Says it all there. Destroyed from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

Or maybe it's being tidied up now?

More room for new recruits..

I see your point, but 97 seems a lot. Not to mention the member in Limerick that might be sacked because he put on the blue lights….

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

It almost seems like this stage many will pass due to it being straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭blinkinghinds

Yeah but considering only two hundred odd have sat it I imagine that was always going to be the case. If they're only calling 200 hundred at a time and a high amount of that number are failing it would be a fairly prolonged process to get however many hundred they need.

I found it grand as well for what it's worth. Certainly much easier than the previous stage and I think most people will be fine with it so no need to worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

I just completed stage two there, am I correct in saying it was only the one exercise? I'm afraid that I accidentally skipped the other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

I am doing it later. How was it typing the notes? Was the video slow or fast that you could catch the details alright. It’s the only part I’m over thinking and I’ve been practising my typing skills the last few days lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

The conversations move quick enough but they pull no tricks. Focus solely on transcribing details into the note section as you hear them - forget structure or syntax, just jot keywords if you have to. The report is easy to piece together then once you're satisfied with the details you've captured.

When does stage 2 close for you guys in the top 224?

• Advertisement

It closes this evening.

I'd echo what others have said really, it is a fast conversation but as long as you get the key details down you should be alright piecing the report together.

This evening, I imagine it'll take the the best part of a month to get everything marked and communicated though if stage 3 doesn't start until the end of July/august

Did anyone have issues with the timer? When the video stopped playing 10 mins had lapsed for me.

Well done everyone that has done it so far :)

Post edited by leheaven on

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

How long before it did they give ye a date for stage 2? Is it like stage 1 where you had over the course of a couple of days to do it? Because I started a new job and he seems to want me there long term and I haven’t mentioned me wanting to join the guards so I’m wondering will I have to take time off work if there’s only a specific time slot allocated? Trying to keep it on the DL😅😅

• Advertisement

Yeah you’ll have a few days yo do it, 3 days I think. Like stage 1

No time slot. We had 4 days to do it. You won’t need time off as it’s less than 1 hour as well. 😊 I told one person at work and she told half a dozen 🙄🤣

Are you guys training for the fitness tests?

Started 2 weeks back, done the beep test here and I mean barely made level 5🙈 got level 6 sunday and hoping to get level 7 in 2 weeks again. You?

That’s really good going! I haven’t tried the beep test yet but had recently completed a C25K program and hurt my ankle at the very end 🥴 . Just yesterday made it to 32 sit ups in one min. It was the first time I completed them properly. So happy to see some progress. I still have work to do on the push ups!

fairplay, c25k is exactly what i’m doing now and then plan to do the beep test then every two weeks. Hopefully the ankle recovers soon. The push ups I found ok, the sit ups are tough. Trying to do a few sit ups every day and just up it then every few days. I’m in the 32 sit ups bracket too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Does anybody know about the eyesight test as part of the medical? Can that be failed if you need to wear glasses?

I'm just guessing here but I highly doubt they are failing people because they need glasses.. this day and age....

They will conduct and eye test at the medical stage. They request that glasses are taken off one hour before you take the test.

The minimum standard for your eyesight is 6/18 unaided that can be corrected to 6/9 with glasses (might be worth having a chat with an optician if you are unsure of whether you meet that).

So wearing glasses isn't disqualifying by itself, you can be shortsighted while still having better vision than 6/18. Every second guard seems to wear glasses nowadays too but maybe they are stricter for recruits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 D_Mc87

Delighted to have found this thread! So hard to get info online etc!

Currently 903 oom after stage 1- anyone else similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nompixels

I'm in the 900s myself, wonder how long it will take for us to move to stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 toyforme

Thinking Il be waiting a good while myself. I'm 2897. The campaign is to last 18 months.....a good opportunity to add some more volunteering to the cv😏

Literally no idea how long it will take- !! I would hope stage 2 by the end of july??

I'm about 290 oom so expecting to be in the next batch called. At least then we should have some idea of how long they are giving between batches.

Wondering if they will call larger groups in the next batch. Like a few hundred rather than just another 224

I only learned today that 224 is not representative of people or panel etc , it’s those who ranked scores within that range so it was most likely a few hundred people sitting the stage two, not 224, I completely misunderstood now to interpret the results of a psychometric (thanks google ) !! Tell me I am not the only one ??

keep us updated when you get that heart jumping text from public jobs 🙌🙌

I'm not sure what you mean to be honest. Here is order of merit described by public jobs themselves.

• Advertisement

My understanding is, but I’m totally open to correction , you can have multiple people who achieve the same score (different variations on answers etc but same score in the end ) therefor a number of people getting the same order of merit number.

I have emailed the recruitment campaign for clarification as ironically - myself and another member on here and realised we have the same OOM number !! 😳

True, very possible people would get same scores on things. Would certainly mean a few extra people being called up each time if true.

That’s what I’m thinking , it could move a lot quicker !

As far as I understand, each persons OOM is their individual rank. For example someone who’s OOM is 20, they are in 20th place. Considering some people on this thread are in the 2000’s, it would make most sense.

I don’t think it’s an individual ranking - specifically to one person - for example 200 people could have scored the same score to be OOM @ 20th place - if you think about it - almost 11k people we’re invited to sit stage one so assuming half those passed ( likely more than 50% passed ) that would mean the numbers could go up to 5000+ and considering it’s 18 months for the competition , if they were to bring people forward in groups of 224 sure they wouldn’t get to stage 2 by 18month let alone intakes ?

See in previous campaigns they took the first 1000 to stage 2 at the same time, this year is a strange one that they only took up to 224. I personally think and this is just my own idea, but I think the reason they took just 224 now is because they probably have a back log from the lockdowns to clear too, and they just need so many from the first 224 to fill that class. But thats just my own thinking. But as for the order of merit, i’m pretty sure the number everyone got is specific to them. Thats why theres people in this thread with numbers as high as 3,000. Maybe someone in here will clear it up for us anyway who has a better understanding of it

• Advertisement

So yeah your OOM is your place in the list. Everyone has their own individual number

then we have a serious problem.. because myself and another member on here have the exact same order of merit number 😳😳 which is why I questioned this in the first place 😂

One of ya’s must have mixed it up, that or ya’s may get onto them. be graaand😂

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

Get onto career services and ask them how

the order of merit works and if two candidates can have the same number, they’re efficient so will be able to advise on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭Spook22

To clarify this for people, two or more people absolutely can recieve the same OOM number, it is not specific to one person, but rather that persons performance - which may well be identical to that of another, resulting in the same number being issued.

This wont have a huge impact on the numbers going through in each batch, and is likely offset by the number of people within each batch who never show up, etc.

In other words, it can happen, but doesnt have a material impact on progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement