Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You won't get an answer but the usual reply is something waffly along the lines of how we must be a caring nation and a reminder that the Irish emigrated also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ireland is a mess and run by morons.

The best analogy I can come up with is this.

I run a sandwich shop (Ireland). I notice that there are a lot of homeless about (“asylum” seekers), so out of the goodness of my heart I put up a sign saying free daily sandwich to any homeless person who comes in. It’s grand and sustainable.

Until word spreads of these free sandwiches, and suddenly there are crowds gathering, including people who have their own bread and turkey and ham and could easily live off this, but want a better sandwich. Now I’m losing money, and being told time and time again that a lot of the “homeless” don’t actually need a sandwich off me. So what do I do? Go to the trouble of weeding them out of the queue to save myself money and leave more food for those who actually need it?? No chance. I do a sandwich amnesty and say whoever is in the queue at this point gets a sandwich no matter what.

Now my backers are saying, right we can feed these people and that’s it. No, says I. In fact, anyone that comes to my shop from now on will get a full meal (front door accom). Now the queue is around the block and I’m struggling. My staff are exasperated, but there’s nothing they can do, they have a contract for another 4 years(time til new election). I borrow and borrow and borrow. My left leaning friends tell me I’m doing a great job. But eventually the bills have to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Of course we can. We can fit 1 billion on this island, we can fit a lot more. The problem is the logistics of bringing them in, if we bring 10.000 a day it will still take over 250 years which means we will never be able to reach the number of 1 billion and still have them all alive, small issue though. They will start dying from starvation and cannibalisms long before that. But until then it will be wonderful, so diverse, so vibrant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I get where anyone is coming from who says it’s naïve, because it assumes the best in other people, as opposed to the opposite side of the coin which is to assume the worst of other people, and reality and social history have equally demonstrated how that perception and portrayal of other people plays out

I prefer to not assume the best or worst in people, but rather to see people as, well, people. And in many ways how they act tends to be quite consistent across culture and time and geography. Old style human nature. Something we like to think we have more top down control of, that culture, nurture can overpower nature. Multiculturalism is a good example of this thinking. If only we did [insert thing here] then it would work. The problem is it doesn't and hasn't and every Western multicultural nation shows the emergence and continuance of the same trends, time and time and time again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Even if we look at 10 million more in population, we don't have the natural resources to support them. Nor do we have the economic power to provide first world living standards to them.

It's an utterly destructive stance to take.. the belief that we should increase the population significantly. We can barely manage the population we already have, and even then, the cracks are becoming more and more apparent in the support systems we have now. More people place more strain on those services, and modern society has shown that just become people migrate to another country, many of them don't contribute enough to balance out their own demands on the system. So, we would need migrants who provide more to the State than what they (and their families) cost, because they would need to support those who don't. After all, we can't be deporting those who don't contribute enough.

The position on increasing the population, usually through immigration, is utterly retarded and avoids considering the practicalities involved.

• Advertisement

Ireland's population has grown by 1 million in just over 20 years and 1 million in the 30 years prior to that.

The place has gotten on fine. Sure there's a few bumps along the way but then there always will be.

It's projected to be 6 million by around 2050 and will probably be around 7.5 million by 2100.

I don't see what the big deal is. Sure some like to say we don't have the space, we do, or we don't have homes, we will build them, same as we've always done. The health and education areas will expand to meet the needs of the growing population the same as they have always done.

In other words, keep calm and carry on, it'll be grand, it always is.

Regardless of immigration the population will keep growing, immigration is only a small piece of the overall growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

-listen fruitcake you won’t drown me out with a deluge of Africans and Indians; my partner’s tribe is oppressed by the latter you’ve drawn her into this. I’m tell you that much for nothing, she’ll have your head on a stick

Great news out of the EU today with the announcement that Ukraine and Moldova are to be given candidate status to join the EU.

Both countries have done a lot already to get to this stage and have a lot of work to get to the final stage but I've every confidence that they will be full members within the next 10 years.

Georgia has been told the same status awaits them too if they do a bit more work.

At this rate we could see the EU having around 35 countries by 2035,amazing progress

RTE news : Commission proposes Ukraine as candidate for EU

I'm fully in favour of Ukraine getting in the EU but Christ I hope common sense prevails and free movement is limited for a period of time. Whatever about the countries they may go to, their population has already dropped by millions. For the sake of Ukraine itself they need as many reasons as possible to return and/or stay. There's going to be decades of rebuilding work to do.

You’re too nice. The lad’s only intent on turning the place into a dump, best not take a lead from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Interesting, provide details on Irelands population growth that backs up your assertion

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I made it very clear at the beginning that I will not be engaging with you. If I could block you I would. Stop harassing me or I'll report you.

You made the statement, just asking for evidence. I guessed you made it up but offered you the chance to prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

You have been caught out and it was explained very clearly in the post. I do understand that it's pointless to engage with some people on here but when you've been clearly caught red handed posting untrue information then perhaps it's time to admit you were wrong rather than seek to avoid the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The audacity. Days later, and you still haven't even made an attempt to back up your earlier claims. You lied through your teeth, yet here you are calling another poster a liar. It's pure insanity that people like you walk through life thinking that you've a right to be righteous about anything.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I think that come September there's going to be a **** show. Many Ukrainians in student accommodation will probably refuse to move out to somewhere they don't like. The Gardai or private security firms are not going to go in and drag them out. The same will be true for those in hotel rooms. People getting 3 meals a day in a nice hotel aren't willingly going to move into a community centre and sleep on a camp bed. This might just be the wake up call needed for middle class parents who've happily gone along with the illegal migrant scam for the past 20 years because they're not affected by it.

If little Fintan and Amy can't take up their university places because there's no student accommodation available and no property to rent, maybe then these people will start to cop on to themselves. If we didn't have thousands of illegal migrants in Direct Provision, hotels and B&bs then we wouldn't have this problem. I see on the front of the paper this morning about an Indian family here 4 and a half years, asylum claim dismissed but now they've got asylum, for handing out cloth masks during the pandemic. Jesus wept, what a great little country for foreigners. People are eligible or they're not. They weren't so what changed?

The historical population growth figures are available from multiple sources so I'm guessing you mean the projected ones?

The projection to 6 million by 2050 is contained in the govt file below. It's also mentioned in the Ireland 2040 plans and others

The 7.5 million is my own personal guess as govt documents don't project that far

As to why we need more people

The old-age dependency ratio in Ireland – the number of retirees as a fraction of the number of workers – is set to nearly double over the next 30 years, from 24 per cent at present to 47 per cent by the middle of this century (53 per cent by 2070). To put it another way, there are currently around 4 persons of working age to support each person aged 65 and over; by 2050, the equivalent figure will be just over 2.

Whereas I'm fully against Ukraine getting into the EU.. or any other nation, for that matter. Ukraine has too many issues with corruption, and authoritarianism to mesh with European values, and beyond the media soundbites, there's been little interest in combating such issues.. Besides which their economy was in the toilet before the war, and it'll take decades to recover to what it once was, never mind, being productive enough to be of value to Europeans.

Anyway, the EU needs to solve the existing problems/weaknesses within itself before it considers adding more nations to the mix.

You can ignore them.

Just go to your own profile, the drop down menu at the top right, and edit your ignore settings. I think it's case sensitive... but I ignored DaCor a while back, and I've no regrets. 😀

So that’s Ukraine effectively sown up then. Moldova; proud Europeans only remains to be asked when do the mongols come into the mix?

• Advertisement

What were the causes though? Russia for the most part. If you look at Ukraine it doesn't look (well, before the way) like the shithole it should be based on economic figures. Culturally they were very much moving towards the west and you can call it lip service if you like but progress looked to be being made. As well as that a country of 40-odd million people joining which happens to be eh... a bit less welcoming incompatible cultures may well help the EU make some of the improvements it should be making.

Ukraine has too many issues with corruption, and authoritarianism

No argument there but it is part of the 35 articles (I think that's what they are called) that they must address those and other issues before they will even be considered. All 35 must be fully achieved before they can become a full member

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

….

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think it will be. The EU have the capacity to restrict new member states and terms of the movement of their people within the EU but I doubt it will come to pass that it will be limited. Can’t seem to be having one rule for one and not the others…not a great optic…one rule for one…in this situation..

all and any of the 41 million Ukrainians will be of the ability to move anywhere and everywhere, resettle, relocate… benefit from whatever benefits are, wherever they end up… cash, housing, healthcare and all other benefits.

all for a pool of any of that 41 million people….

41 million people who are potentially under physical threat from their neighbour.

41 million people who live in the poorest country in Europe by GDP capita.

41 million people who live in one of the most corruption ravaged countries in the world, THE most corrupt country in Europe. Yet, we are supposed to roll out the welcome mat. Knowing full well a large percentage of them are here for good.

a kid here or in any member state going to college now with seriously higher competition for that place which they have dreamed of.

same kid if they get in and go to get a job in a supermarket to pay their way and god forbid have the odd night out or … save for a car or holiday… forget it, every low paid job is now a minimum wage job and will be targeted at and by our visitors…

the future is beyond bleak. If you think the present is difficult, you’ve no idea what is around the corner. The impact won’t be temporary.

Multiculturalism is not a positive unless it’s limited and ruled are in place to protect member states and their citizens…. It’s not and there are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Back up your claim that immigration will only be a small part of population growth. The link that you provided contradicts that.

"The fertility rate assumptions do not have as much of an impact on population projections as net migration assumptions"

None of the projections show immigration being only a small part of population growth as you claimed:

So yeah, you might want to provide support for your assertion. Thats before we even get to birth rates including children born of immigrant parents

The option was there during previous enlargements. Each member chose whether to have temporary restrictions or not. The Brits decided to have no restrictions then give out about all the Bulgarians and Romanians landing in e.g. We also had no restrictions, off the top of my head I could swear it was us, the Brits and one other who had an overnight free for all.

EDIT: I was wrong, bunch of countries had varying kinds, levels and durations of restrictions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_enlargement_of_the_European_Union#Free_movement_issues

A lot of the issues people have with "The EU" come down to their own state not making use of the tools available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well from what I’ve read last week, can’t find the link, there won’t be restrictions as is of now.

Would be idiocy. You can see in the link though the Dutch started with "no restrictions" and **** themselves quite soon afterwards. Tends to be how these things go, deny the obvious truth of what the consequences will be, see those consequences, do a half-ass job to cover it and deny there was ever an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It is true, as Britain is finding post Brexit, the south east coast is flooded with illegals, and no doubt this will be another record breaking summer.

Getting rid of the European Commission out of your life will only solve so many problems.

• Advertisement

Advertisement