Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The dense cloud in Kildare is miserable compared to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

quite a warm morning in Dublin, cloudy but pleasant and 20 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The tabloids will no doubt gloss over this epic fail with tales of next weekends heat wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

8am - woke up to lashing rain

9-11is - eased off

constantly raining since after 11 albeit light and drizzly

car read 13 degrees going to shops

near Mohill, Co.Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Damp miserable morning but still mild out at 17c.

Earlier this week the local radio afternoon presenter was telling everyone to stock up on the suncream as this weekend is going to be a scorcher. Cue next Monday he'll be moaning how Met Éireann don't have a clue, even though it was never forecast.

• Advertisement

Some island NW vs SE

Nudging 24c here in Arklow ,though I'd say we're scrapi g the last of it now

Suns still out

Parts on England and Wales in for a nice shock temperaturewise tomorrow. Should cool the sunburn.

Will he even come on the radio and acknowledge that he was talking utter nonsense!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Impressive temperature range on the WOW map - 30's in the SE of UK to 13's in the west of Ireland

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I find that wow map cumbersome

Its is slow to load and sticks a lot in the one area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

What do you mean it didn't get started till after June 18th? June 2018 had already been a warm, dry and sunny month up to that point following a very dry, warm and sunny May. I finished my summer exams on May 29th with perfect weather conditions outside. It got to a rounded 27C in Donegal that day. Harmonie was showing chances of 30C around Shannon Apt which was ridiculous and was not gonna happen but shows the warmth that did occur then. That warm spell ended by June 10th then we had a week of westerlies before a second warm spell which was the heatwave to end June.

That first warm spell also unlike the latter one brought thunderstorms to some - most notably Cork on 27th May.

1995 meanwhile properly didn't get go till after mid-June as whilst there was a very warm start to May that year, a prolonged cool spell ensued from mid-May to mid-June with lots of cloudy northerly winds.

If people want to go conspiracy, well then we haven't had a "good summer" (warm, dry, sunny) for a year ending in "2" in forever. 2012 was the last one, I don't need to say what happened then. 2002 very cloudy and changeable, not terrible in the far north. 1992 very frontloaded; warm June, cool and wet August with a transitional July. 1982; very wet June, dry July, indifferent August. 1972 notably cold summer but with one brief very warm spell in mid-July. 1962 notably cold again. Before 2018, summers ending in "8" had a good summer back in 1868. 1968 had a very sunny and dry summer in Ireland but wasn't that warm. Can't say I can think of a summer ending in "2" that fits the ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

All over the UK news about heatwaves all over Europe! Looking outside, I'm not seeing it. Confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We're an island off an island on the northern edge of Europe.

It's currently 18 degrees here in Dublin, according to my trusty phone.... doesn't feel like it if I'm honest - but I'll take it over 35 degrees in Spain any day!

To be fair, I dunno about Tenerife but my station was hotter than Mykonos today

As were some Dublin stations yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It has been a very dry June in Galway so far. The rain this morning was needed.

The total mm of rain thus far for Athenry and Mace Head are 14.9 and 14.8 respectively. The long term average for both stations are 79.6 and 82.4 and it looks like we will get significantly less rain than the previous 3 years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Don't worry about rain. It's never far away in this country.

No he won't, i might text to ask where's the scorcher we were to get.

I see a few farmers have hay down now, no doubt due to hearing all the radio talk of heatwaves and scorchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

Raining here now in NCD.

The husband was correct !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Woke up around 6am very sweaty from such a warm night. Early this morning was very warm , close to 20C just after 6am and then the temperatures droppped to 17C around 6.30am and I fell back asleep.

If only that cold front stayed off to the west like it was supposed to on the charts up to Tuesday, today would have been very interesting indeed to see how warm or hot it could have been. GFS was the first to pull the curtains on todays hot weather and this was quickly followed by all the other models later on Wednesday.

Currently raining here in Meath, didn't expect to see wet ground here today. Yesterdays max temperature of 25C will probably stand a very good chance of being the maximum temperature for this June as I don't really see us getting any higher than 22 or 23C at best for the rest of the month with most days in the mid to high teens. Although it has to be said next week could be a mixed bag with one or 2 surprisingly warm days as we are kind of in a battle ground this month between chilly north-westerlies and warm south-easterlies.

It's hard not to be dissapointed with this June, but we have definitely had worse Junes than this with June 2019 and June 2020 sticking out recently. Both of those Junes from what I can remember had regular low daytime temperatures with plenty of cloudy or wet days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Indeed - years ending in "2" were not great Summers, 2012 in particular was horrendous following a run of poor summers since 2007.

Years ending in "8" held the same reputation until well... 2018!

Perhaps 2022 can redeem itself like 2018 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

34mm in Sligo averages 2mm a day. There has been that but the first week was nearly completely dry.

This rain is useless so far. Rivers quite low but I won't wish for rain though it does look like a lot of small amounts in the coming days so East and South could face a shortage soon

Mostly cloudy now in Arklow but still hovering around a balmy 22c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Thats statement should be framed and put on your wall :)

Gonzo the max was only 23.9 yesterday, cant see it even getting to 22 today.

I agree with the sentiment that it's difficult not to be disappointed with June 2022. First week locally was very sunny (apart from the horrendous 5th), 1st and 6th were great. But temperatures were on the cool side then the wind picked up big time and it's been mostly cloudy, dry since.

First half of June 2019 was undoubtedly worse than this June. Ideal Leaving Cert weather for me though. The "heatwave" in the second half was also disappointing here on the east coast but least the second half provided much more usable weather and closer to average conditions than that sad excuse for a first half. June 2020 was rubbish really with the odd fine or spectacular day. The days that come to mind as spectacular are Bank Holiday Monday the 1st, 8th and the 15th which I know you really liked. The 24th and 25th were also mostly fine but 24th had a cloudy start and 25th cloudy end with a thunderstorm overnight. The altocumulus floccus that provided a great sunset on 24th June 2020, one of the best I've seen, were clearly nature's way of saying a storm was on the way! Shame there was only a couple of rumbles/flashes here as Wicklow took most of the hit from what I recall then we don't get into what happened thereafter (J### 2020) 😂.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The boundary between the hot air and the much cooler air is a very short one in terms of distance and this is going to make very swift progress over England and Wales during today. Wales will lose much of it's warmth by early this evening and by the morning most of England will be chilly just like Ireland. The temperature drop in southern England between this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon will be quite something, down from 32C today to maybe just 14 or 15C tomorrow.

The far north-west of France could see even greater extremes between Saturday and Sunday, forecast to be close to 38C on Saturday afternoon and by Sunday afternoon the same location may get no higher than 15C.

Getting back to our weather and looking at the models over the next 2 weeks it's very difficult to tell what the temperatures will be like for the rest of June. I think we have been on the battleground between the chilly north to north-westerlies and the hot and humid south-easterlies over the past week and this looks like continuing for the rest of June. Ireland will most likley end up on the colder side for the majority of the time but we could still have several sneaky isolated warm or hot days this month.

While this doesn't sound great, it is far better than looking at 2 weeks of models full of a non ending summer Atlantic conveyer belt where the temperature stays below 18C throughout.

I await your flaming July prediction in the July forecast contest when the time comes Danno 😉

Surprising how warm it feels outside despite the rain. Currently 20C with the sun trying to make an appearance through the drizzle.

• Advertisement

Don't I know it, he has reminded me enough today🤣.

Pauldry we better not let our spouses enter the monthly weather contest, they might do better than us🤣

Advertisement