Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

First half was very good until the doubke meltdown restarts.

Bonner needs to go now. Need a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Sad day for Donegal football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Rubbish from the start. When pressure was applied they folded. Damning indictment of football within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Out of our misery for another year, that was dreadful. Time to draw up a shortlist for next manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

He has another year on his term. Is there a chance he would attempt to stay on. Surely he has to realise he can't get this team to challenging at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I can't see the present management looking for another year. The setup needs new blood at the helm. We have been the authors of our misfortune for the last few years, back to the drawing board & we'll see how things go. We were hammered today & the mood in the camp must be rock bottom.

Yeah you would they would leave. Today is a dark day but there is still a team there if the right changes are made and that's where the worry lies.

We really need to modify our game in the county. How can these players improve or the team improve when they're playing the same stuff at club level? Our underage set up is playing the same crap football. No one is expected to win their own ball, no one is expected to tackle hard. The kick pass is banned or kicking the ball early. When we've come up against hard physical teams in recent years we've been pummeled. We've had clueless county managers at minor and u20. We know who they are. Repeating the same mistakes over and over etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Nothing surprising about the level of performance or the result. It's been like that all year, play in fits and starts and then have a meltdown.

Bonner has one more year but cannot be allowed to see that out. It has gone stale.

It's a trickier situation than 2017 as there is nobody internally ready to step in, and the competition around ulster is fiercer now. Anyway for now, there is still the bones of a good team there but needs new ideas and new energy.

The other thing too is that this current set up have 'lost' the fans. General apathy around Donegal this week which was not nice but it was completely understandable. The management have caused that themselves - huge disconnect there which isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Hard to argue with any of that nudge, Bonner has served us to the best of his ability, played some great stuff as we won 2 Ulsters but trying to fix the defensive issues with the team we've regressed attacking wise. As a whole we are further from competing than we were after year 1/2.

I have no idea who replaces him, the patchy performances would remind of the pre McGuiness days which I hope is management than squad, but when you see recent club results it's a worry too.

Don't really see any departures from the starting line up, but Murphy won't have long left. New management, fresh ideas, squad talent is there (imo) for some more silverware before he goes. We probably have seen the last of Neil McGee, unreal servant. Not sure we will lose anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Their first goal was just one of those things that there is not a lot you can do about, but up until the two brain fart short kick outs we were going well. Defense looked good and we were scoring for sport. Those two kick outs just sucked the life out of us and resulted in 1-04. Coasting 3 up to 4 down at half time. Maybe harsh on Patton but for me those two kick outs were the same as last year against Tyrone with the missed penalty and Michael`s red card. Both cost us the game. The one I fail to get is if we are pushing up on a team to go long for their kick outs, why are we farting around with short kick outs. Same two weeks ago with that messed up kick out to McMenamin.

How Ryan McHugh started is a mystery to me as well, and like the last two games how he was left on. A pale shadow of the player he was.

Very poor support today, and I`m not sure if it`s because this team has lost the fans. Seems more apathy to me with us getting to so many Ulster finals in the last ten years. We played well first round against Armagh, but the support for the semi against Cavan was poor and for the final very poor as well.

Still the guts of a very good team there, but where we go from here even under new management, or even who would go for the job, I have no idea. As pointed out, the football being played at club level is not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

RE: Underage teams - I agree with your comments on the underage structures but has anybody ever asked the question what exactly do the various roles within the county structure do? We have a coaching officer, we have a Development officer, we have a games development manager and we have a Head of Academy Development? Are none of these guys responsible for the way we play football at underage level? Should we (or they) not be telling the underage management how they want the game played. Let the manager 'manage' the team, but let the coaches 'coach'. Another thing, why does the county underage management prevent players from playing club football? 3 current provincial winners allowed their players to play club football during the county championship timeframe, but yet in Donegal, management - in their wisdom - decided against it.

I have to ask this question also. Many a post mentions stuff like.."we've a great bunch of players", "we've a good squad of players", "They're a very talented bunch of players"....blah blah blah, but we haven't won anything at underage level (including U20's) since the minors in 2016 and U21's in 2017. What evidence is there that this team is so talented? They may be very good club players but there's no underage evidence to suggest that they are as good as people make them out to be. Go back the last 6 or 7 years and you'll see that most of the All Ireland underage finalist have comprised of the big teams - Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone and Galway. So based on this evidence it would suggest that Donegal won't win anything in a while. Is it possible that we're looking at things through green and gold tinted glasses?

Possible managers? I'll tell you who I don't want.

Maxi Curran - no thanks - Too defensive with Eunan's when there. Too defensive with the ladies and disastrous result V Armagh ladies. Only an AI win with the ladies would push him back into contention for me, and even then.......

Rory Kavanagh - Having watched the County final last year and game v Glen, equally as defensive as they come.

Paddy Campbell - That Slaughtmanus(?) result a few years back sticks in the mind. Was it 4 points to 3 or some crap like that. Again, too defensive for my liking.

Martin Regan - Given the history and vitriolic nature of the relationship between Glenties and....just about every other senior team, I'm not sure he can gell the players from other clubs together.

Would Mickey Moran have the energy for it again? What about Cian O'Neill? Decent manager with Kildare I thought, just didn't have the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Would Rochford be a candidate ?

Absolutely not. While Declan is the figure head as manager Rochford is running the show in terms of the coaching and style of play.

Entire backroom team needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Manager needs to to go. The players are talented but seem to be very weak mentally. Anytime they’ve gone into the qualified they’ve been beaten out the gate, except by Dublin for some strange reason.

Look at the shape of us in Sligo in 2017 and again yesterday. Players going on a 2 or 3 day bender after losing the Ulster Final clearly didn’t help. If it were a national league game in January and there was a 2 week break to the next game there’d be no drinking allowed so I can’t understand them going hard at it after the Ulster Final. By all means have a few drinks, but extending it on doesn’t give you the best chance.

Too many players not contributing, especially defensively. It all looks great going forward when you have time, but some of them can’t defend. Some of them are too indisciplined, get a stupid booking every game for the sake of it.

The start of the second half broke me yesterday, we were down by 6, 15 mins without a score and 15 men in our own half whilst Armagh handed passed it under no pressure.

We need Jim, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

How about Malachy o Rourke?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

First thought on that was the Father Ted line, "is there anything to be said for saying another mass"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It's time for change. Hope Declan sees that too. A wonderful servant to the County, but he's taken this team as far as he can.

However, very hard to see who will come in and make the necessary adjustments.

Anytime I heard Rochford interviewed, he's made it pretty clear that he has no interest in intercounty management again. Besides, I think he would have serious questions to answer about the performances under his watch, even if the buck stops with Declan.

Anyone involved with the club scene in Donegal does not strike me as someone to change the way we play. Of course, they would like have more talent available at intercounty than locally, so that might allow them to set up differently, but it's hard to see it.

The one name I have not seen mentioned is Lacey. Is he a candidate? Was involved before. Never managed a senior team, but that's not necessarily an issue. Seems like a strong character. Would he popular with supporters.

Would Murphy throw his hat in as player manager? Seems very unlikely, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Would be play himself at 14?

I think questions have to be asked about the talent available. Is it as good as we and the national media think it is? I'm not sure. And, as was mentioned, underage success has dried up, although we are competitive. But the way our teams play hardly lends itself to talent development.

It's been a depressing couple of weeks. Teams we had been beating regularly for 10 or so years now have our number. We could be going back to the noughties.

A hammering by Armagh led to the beginning of a glorious revolution in 2010. Not many saw that coming. There is no messiah with the U20s this time though.

Up Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

No denying that Declan has been a wonderful servant to Donegal football as a player, to club, underage and county management.

However, I believe he’s not of the standard required if we want to get the squad to the semi finals of the All Ireland series. He has maxxed out his abilities. Personally, I was quite angry he didn’t step away last year as I’m pretty sure we would have had applications, but nobody wanted to unseat him due to the respect he is held in the county. I hope he doesn’t turn out the same trick this year again and just walk away. We’ll always find people willing to manage Donegal.

I get the feeling Martin McHugh has had his eye on this job for the last two years. His analysing of the modern game wouldn’t instill much hope in me but his profile within the national game would make me think he would have the clout and knowlege to put a serious backroom team together as well as getting the Kilcar boys out of the rut.

I think we should learn from past experience that players becoming managers doesn’t work. They need to go out and cut their teeth in club management or at least a weaker county.

I think our best chance is to go outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Lacey doesn’t deserve a shot ahead of the likes of Regan and Kavanagh, he needs experience in my opinion. Whether that’s with the minors or 20s, he needs it.

Nobody is mentioning The Whale. I’m not advocating for him but I wonder would he throw his hat in the ring?

Id offer it to Jim, whether he applies or not. Send out an SOS! After that, Malachy O’Rourke.

Wonder how many will play for their clubs this weekend? Some could badly do with them….

I hear the Whale is stateside for the summer. I don't think he would but who knows. The pool in Donegal is very weak.

Jim may be focussed on soccer and not interested but given what he achieved it would be gross negligence from the County Board if the question wasn't put to him, but who knows with this County Board and what the relationship between them and Jim is like at present. Unlikely but he has a passion for Donegal GAA so whenever the vacancy is there it would be lunacy not try to tempt him. He did say on a recent podcast with Tomas O'Sé he would never say never on a return to intercounty.

Lacey from what I hear is a highly regarded coach and could well be a future manager but agree probably needs experience. ie Andy Moran at Leitrim who I am sure is eyeing bigger things in future. O'Rourke only other candidate I can think off with a decent CV.

The candidate who sets out a plan to address the shortcomings in the team and has a vision for the future 'deserves' the job, regardless of experience. Andy McEntee has plenty of experience. Wouldn't want to see him get the job. Same with Banty.

Yeah Campbell and McEniff had good enough pieces this week.

Cassidy had an interesting take on DV show on Highland. OMcFF was a great man marker at Club and it's been coached out of him at County. Not sure if I fully agree, but our 1 on 1 defending has been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I just hope Declan doesn’t feel he has a right to ponder as long as he likes on whether he’ll stay on or not.

Time enough.

• Advertisement

Amazed to see Gallen playing a league game for MacCumhaills today.

Advertisement