Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

The rest of us are looking for answers to legitimate questions on the trans- issue.

But you seem incapable of answering questions without hurling unnecessary comments like that.

In fact, I don't think you've even expressed an opinion on the LiveLine debates, which is slightly bizarre given that this is the subject of the thread.

It says a lot that you can't answer a question.

Painted yourself into a corner and unable to give an answer that won't show up your dishonesty and hypocrisy.

"As a homosexual myself"

Need to get that printed on a t-shirt for you 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's honestly sad how posters like yourself are so predicable that you could be replaced with a bot that's programmed to say only a handful of things. If rules were applied fairly, you won't last a day on here, as all you do is insult people, run away, and come back with more of the same.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

I think the thing with the surgeries is that it's one of the main aspects that terrifies parents. So it takes up a much larger share of the concern than maybe it deserves. I'd imagine most parents would rather that their 16 year old daughter is not getting a double mastectomy. This becomes more terrifying if schools are not being transparent about what is going on in the classroom. If parents concerns are met with a cold brick wall and a not very subtle implication that one could be accused of being a bigot for even bringing up the topic then again this just creates fear and anxiety.

People are probably quite similar regarding tattoos and teenagers, right? You wouldn't want your son or daughter to get a tattoo on their face, I guess. Even if kids with facial tattoos were super rare, you'd be concerned if you thought that your kids teachers were telling them all about how cool and wonderful face tattoos can be.

I understand the logic. My kid feels that they were assigned the wrong gender at birth. If we do not do something about this then there is about a 4 in 10 chance that they will commit suicide. The solution is to go to therapy, maybe start medications, maybe even get surgeries and then your child will certainly live. OK. That's a very compelling argument. How do we know it's the right argument though? Are there other ways? Is the surgery guaranteed to work? Am I even allowed to ask those questions? After all there was that big kerfuffle with Liveline and RTE because they were even debating this kind of stuff!

Your 16 year old daughter comes in from school and is talking about this surgery or that surgery. Later, your 30 year old daughter phones you up in an absolute state asking why you let her make such a massive and rash decision. Nobody wants to be in that position. What happens to people who transition as they go through their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s does this stuff affect life expectancy? Do we even know?

If that kind of fear is unfounded then fine. That's great. I think in Ireland at least we know if something feels off and there seems to be a very concentrated and very focused effort to stop you from saying that you think something feels off then maybe it's time to just slow down and have a real close look at what is actually going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This isn't a reasonable conversation with the homophobic dog whistles 😆

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

For someone who posts so frequently, you have exceptionally little to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

No one has requested your presence here, so you're free to leave this thread when you want.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Ah thats not true, I like having Anna here. Her posts validate and confirm almost all of the points I have been making about toxic trans advocates.

The combat style has changed now though and in the next few hours we will get the dreaded "MOD NOTE: Thread closed" notification once a few more of them get their instructions to do what they always do.

But it is heartening to see that there hasn't been any major u-turn by RTE. I think they will at some stage though. Panti Bliss always gets his way

• Advertisement

And confirm what Dublin Pride have done.

Ventilating manufactured outrage, throwing out dismissive labels intent on corroding debate, as well as the ceaselessly censorious attempt to shut down debate on this subject.

They all sing from the same hymnbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

'In 2019, a report about gender recognition law was compiled by the world’s largest law firm, Dentons.

The report was developed as a tool for activists and organisations who are working for trans rights. It recommends practices for advocacy including: “tie your campaign to more popular reform”. Ireland is cited as an example of how effective this strategy can be. In Ireland the campaign for gender recognition was tied to the marriage equality referendum. Most members of the Irish public were unaware that the gender recognition act had been passed or that it even existed as there was little to no public debate about it. 

Other techniques recommended in the Dentons document include “the limitation of press coverage and exposure”, the lobbying of individual politicians — particularly youth politicians — and the collaboration of activists from trans rights organisations at national and international level. '

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-gendrification-of-ireland/

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

It all comes down to "I've decided there is no risk whatsoever in removing the word 'women' from national legislation, and letting people with male genitalia into women's spaces, so none of you can think otherwise, and if you dare question any of this, I'll say you are questioning trans people's right to exist"- it's such utter, manipulative bullshit.

I said it earlier on the thread, and I'll say it again- it's about trying to make people feel deep shame for asking these perfectly legitimate questions, by calling them nasty names like terf and transphobe. In that sense, I think the TRAs have much in common with the Catholic Church of the 20th century. They want us to feel deep, burning shame for daring to say "hang on a second, can we just talk about these points in a civilised and respectful way?" Well fcuk them. I don't need "Dr" Panti Bliss dictating to me what I'm allowed to speak about.

At least he's getting ripped out of it in the replies to one of his latest moronic tweets.

There are so many people in the country who do not agree with their line of thinking, I think they're genuinely in for a shock. I'm a very liberal, progressive, straight white woman who lives in Dublin. I have complete respect for the difficulty faced by trans people in many areas. I know someone who has recently decided to transition, and I completely understand that this is a very private, sensitive choice that needs to be handled by those around them with extreme care.

But don't pretend there are absolutely zero issues with deciding that woman now means whatever people want it to mean, and encompasses all humans. Women will not take kindly to being told to STFU by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s like arguing with a teenager. If you don’t accept our perception of the world wholesale and god forbid you dare to ask questions despite being in good faith then you’re a fascist.

It’s depressing, the divisive nature of modern activism doesn’t bode well for the future. We’ve raised a generation who are incapable of confronting opinions that differ to their own.

Rory O'Neill is well into his 50s and behaving like a child over this. Perhaps he knows the repercussions of not toeing the line 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

You can be critical of the Trans ideology, and not be a transphobe. You do realise that, right?

That's literally it.

The strategy seems to appeal to some kind of warped guilt by association, "...but you're on the same side as fascists - can't you see the wrong in your ways? If only you'd abandon your critical faculties and agree with us, then you'll be okay".

And that's not just our word on it, either. This parallel is repeatedly drawn ad nauseum throughout social media, and especially in relation to the LiveLine debates.

A woman on social media talked about her concerns that some men were dictating to women (including Panti Bliss) how they should react about the word woman being removed from maternity legislation.

This was the response:

Invoking Godwin's law is looked down upon as one of the weakest forms of argument.

In some quarters, it appears to be the only argument they have - and they seem quite proud of it, too.

It's actually pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its quite amazing how much power this group/community actually has in the world at present.

After all, they are a tiny tiny fraction of one percent of the worlds population, yet they have the worlds media, universities, workplaces, schools etc etc jumping through hoops and walking on eggshells for fear of offending. And their language is so complex, its hard not to offend, even when you are trying not to.

Pathetic and self defeating. It’s amazing to me that they seem to think that intimidation and censorship can adequately replace cool headed debate. This is all heading in a terrible direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Anyone have a link to the proposed maternity bill (?)

It's called the General Scheme of a Work Life Balance And Miscellaneous Provisions Bill 2022.

The contentious parts are mostly in Head's 10, 11, 12, and 13.

For instance, Head 10 states that the Maternity Protection Act, 1994 is amended from this:

“employee who is breastfeeding” means at any time an employee whose date of confinement was not more than twenty-six weeks earlier, who is breastfeeding and who has informed her employer of her condition

to this:

“"employee who is breastfeeding” means at any time an employee whose date of confinement was not more than one hundred and four weeks earlier, who is breastfeeding and who has informed his or her employer of his or her condition

Head 12 proposes for the replacement of the word "woman" with "person".

In other words, most of the bill is about erasing the word woman in favour of the gender-neutral term, "person" - such as "person with a cervix" etc.

But apparently discussing the bill is transphobic, so I'd better shut up, hadn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Thanks for explaining that.

When you say:

"In other words, most of the bill is about erasing the word woman in favour of the gender-neutral term, "person" - such as "person with a cervix" etc."

What do you mean, as it looks like one "head" is about changing woman to person. Or is head 12 considered a bill in this case?

And woman is just mentioned once in Maternity Protection Act 1994?

I.e. is this the correct section that is changing?

"16.—(1) If a woman (in this section referred to as “the mother”) who has been delivered of a living child dies at any time before the expiry of the fourteenth week following the week of her confinement, the father of the child (if he is employed under a contract of employment) shall be entitled in accordance with this section to leave from his employment for a period ending as follows—"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm not ashamed no. It was very clearly a vile bigoted homophobic dog whistle in that post. Thanks anyway.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wrong, you're trying to smear an innocent poster as a homophobe just because they disagree with you. It's disgusting and immature. Shame on you.

All I did was highlight the poster is using bigoted homophobic dog whistle tactics. Sorry if that upsets you.

Terry Pratchet

The only one that's upset is yourself because you can't argue a single point that they've made and so you're reduced to immature namecalling. It's a huge a backfire on your part.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's pretty clear what you were doing, but then this thread isn't about you, so, like your contributions to date, it's largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

A dog whistle for who?

What does that even mean "dog whistle"?

• Advertisement

Funnily enough it’s reflective of some of the perceptions people on this thread have expressed about the standard of discourse from trans activists.

Advertisement