Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

it's one of those times when we don't have a great ten.

We do have a great ten. This is one of those times when we don't have two great tens which has been the case for the vast majority of the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ross Byrne is good 90% of the time, because 90% of the time he's playing regular season URC games, behind a Leinster pack who always have dominance against those sides. And he's never more than a steady eddy in those games. He does what the coaches want from him and facilitates others without creating a whole lot himself. A test quality 10 playing for Leinster against bottom half URC teams should look absolutely outstanding every week. Like, could you imagine Marcus Smith playing for Leinster against the Welsh and Italian URC teams? He'd look like prime Beauden Barrett.

On Frawley, I'm not saying moving him to 10 is right or wrong. All I'm saying is, Ngatai is coming to play big games. Whether that means Frawley is going to be used more at 10, or is just dropping down the pecking order at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

hes played very well in europe at times too though, exeter last year for one and the bottle he showed against ulster a few years ago was very impressive. hes not the most creative of 10s but thats no harm sometimes too. someone like carbery is a very creative 10 but look at how inconsistent he is - tbh if leinster wanted to swap the two of them id happily pack JC back up to dublin

on the marcus smith comparison, he looks great rn on dry pitches but hes not exactly a world beater in damp conditions so i wouldnt be so sure of him carving it up against urc teams. i distinctly remember him being talked up before the munster - harlequins game a year or two ago and he was shocking since it was a crappy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What good will that do though? Starting those games doesn’t give him extra XP that go towards an upgrade. Starting 1 or 2 Test games isn’t what HB needs. He needs a run of games to develop his decision making etc. He’s not going to get that playing a couple of games for Ireland over the course of 15 months.

Also, Carty is ahead of HB in the pecking order, as evidenced in the 6Ns. So HB is 4th choice. Not 3rd choice.

Also, the whole “Sexton will likely get injured in the RWC” doesn’t really stand up to scrutiny. We need him fit for 2 pool games max. That’s it. After that there are a max of 3 knock out games. That’s 5 games absolute maximum that we need him for. He’s regularly managed that over the last number of years in the 6Ns. He’s only missed 1 RWC game from 3 tournaments due to injury IIRC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭ersatz

We'll just have to disagree about this, but any coach going to the WC with a 38 yo out half thinking sure it'll be grand, he didn't pick up any injuries 4 years ago or 8 years ago or 12 years ago, needs their head examined. As for HB, the point is to get him playing a test under real pressure because he has never done it and he might have to in the WC. And you don't know he is fourth choice, the fact that he is going at all given how little he has played tells me Farrell doesn't agree with you. If you think there's no point and we should just have Johnny play all the tests because he is the best, well, Im glad you're not he coach.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah here, that's just an contrarian post for the sake of it. You've just disagreed with all the points but offered nothing in retort. You've even tried to assume how the coach views the ranking of the out halves without considering the injury to the most recent 3rd choice player, when the only metric available is to consider the ranking when everyone is fit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Farrell isn’t going into the RWC thinking anything is grand. That’s a ridiculous straw man derived from some context I was trying to put on the discussion.

In the most recent tournament that meant anything (the 6Ns), Carty was 3rd choice. Carty is now injured. All evidence right now points to HB being 4th choice. It may be inconvenient to the point you’re making, but that doesn’t mean you can just ignore it.

I never said Sexton should play all the Tests. I’m just saying that it isn’t some great disaster or error in judgement if our 4th choice 10 doesn’t. There’s more to Ireland than our half.

You’re clearly not willing to take on board any other viewpoints other than your own given that most of your response is either a straw man or a deliberate attempt to ignore valid points raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The, “he might get injured” argument. Worked out very well for Gatland last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Ross Byrne isn’t nearly as bad as one poster on here has led the rest to believe. He regularly makes good passes and kicks and his break or committing the defensive line is only a secondary fault to his game. How many outhalves in world rugby commit the defence on a regular basis? Not many. And not many have a break.

Looking for shortcomings in one players game and blowing them out of all proportion is scapegoating. It is arguable whether he has been to blame for the losses we have incurred but on the flip side he has won us some big games -Exeter two seasons ago being one.

He may not be world class but he is probably better than the rest we have and we’ll have to make do with him. Do other posters come on here and criticise Ringrose for taking the ball on a wide arc and rarely if ever making it through the gap? An outside centre has to have an attacking game and Ringrose is URC level in that regard.

An outside centre has to have an attacking game and Ringrose is URC level in that regard.

It would have been much faster to just type "I don't watch much rugby"

And nobody ever "blamed" R.Byrne for any loss. That's a complete strawman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was nothing to do with Byrne, he has an obsession with Ringrose going back through other usernames

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Back to Ringrose? The least of our problems. I would say that this summer tour I'll be pivotal for Carberry. I don't expect him to be lights out! But, if he is able to control things that would be ideal. I reckon he should get thev1st test! It's getting late in this cycle, so he needs to show something.

HB is obviously well thought off. But, has he earned this tour? I expect he starts both Maori matches. If he goes well and builds confidence, who knows.

I’d expect Carberry to start both Māori and one test match. With HB getting 20-30 mins in the Māori games.

I can't see that happening, because that would mean he'd be starting two games in the space of 3/4 days at least once, and I don't think they'd do that.

H.Byrne will start at least one Maori game, possibly both. Carbery will be getting plenty of minutes in the test matches. I can also see Frawley seeing some minutes at 10 v the MABs.

I can see Sexton starting the 1st test no matter what, as that's probably our best shot at a test win. Carbery will start the 2nd. Who starts the 3rd will depend on whether we can win the series or not. If it's 1-1, Sexton will start, if it's 2-0, Carbery will start. That's how I see it playing out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose made more metres in attack than any outside centre in the most recent Six Nations.

URC level attacking game tho. If you're going to troll at least use better bait.

He’s average. He fills the hole, defends well and does the job but he’s not as good as you make him out to be. Most metres for an outside centre? Did France even have the same outside centre for all games? Likewise England?

Metres made is a deceiving stat also. I would prefer clean breaks as a metric for an outside centres attacking ability but that wouldnt suffice. There is a whole array of things required to make one above average. Which Ringrose isn’t.

I don’t know what you’re talking about!

Anyway back to Byrne, he’s not as good behind a beaten pack but neither is Carberry. And he’s more solid than Joey. Does the basics to much higher level.

Did France even have the same outside centre for all games? 

Eh yes

I see Sexton starting two tests, probably the first and the last. With Carberry starting the second test. That would allow Carberry to start both Māori tests. I really can’t see Frawley getting anytime at 10. Since he has only played one game there in two years. There’s more chance of Lowry being used there.

That maximizes gametime for Carberry and gives us a chance of a series win. Though I have a sneaking suspicion Sexton will start all three tests.

• Advertisement

The 2nd test is 3 days before the 2nd Mãori game. I can't see Carbery starting a test match on Saturday and starting again on the Tuesday v the Mãori.

Fair enough I suppose, I was focusing on the 7 days before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Lord jaysus there’s some sh1te written on this forum at times.

I don't think it's being contrarian to say we don't know who the 3rd choice is in Farrells head but there is no reason to assume it's Carty given that HB had played something like 2 games coming into 6N selection. He was never an option while Carty was fit and playing regularly. I'm rejecting the oft repeated logic of some posters that because there isn't much between the bench of options after Sexton (and lets say Carbery also because he is clearly #2 in the coaching view) there is no point in wasting caps on them, "what good will that do" acc Molloy, his argument continues that what HB needs is a run of club games, etc. I'd offer that that ship has sailed in terms of Farrells options as a coach. He is bringing HB to NZ so clearly he continues to believe in him as an international OH, so he should give him real game time because beyond NZ we have less than a dozen tests left to figure it out. I shouldn't have to explain any further why a coach who assumes Sexton will be good to go throughout the tournament is taking a risk no coach is likely to. He is prone to injury and there is a real risk that his form just tanks due to his age. The point is that the #3 out half may well play an outsize role in the WC, and right now that's HB so give him games.

I don't think it's being contrarian to say we don't know who the 3rd choice is in Farrells head but there is no reason to assume it's Carty given that HB had played something like 2 games coming into 6N selection.

given that Farrell chose Carty ahead of HB not 5 months ago, I think its pretty clear who 3rd choice is by that decision alone

unless you have some other unvoiced metric you are working to?

I think its pretty clear who 3rd choice is by that decision alone

I don't think it's quite that simple. When the 6N squad was announced, Carty was in superb form for Connacht and H.Byrne had been injured a lot and not been in great form when he played.

But prior to that, H.Byrne was selected in the November squad and Summer squad ahead of Carty. So I don't think it's that black and white that Carty is no.3. He might be, but it isn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, third choice OH has bounced around so much, I don't think it's a given it would have been Carty at all.

What TRC said. But I literally outlined the logic in the post you're responding to, HB hadn't played at all and Carty was cooking so the reason he was included is crystal clear, had HB been playing regularly we don't know how it would have played out. I think you said the same thing earlier. There's a habit of reading what you want to read in peoples post here.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Every year without fail there is nonsense that Ringrose isn't good enough and every time he proves otherwise.

Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise. He's the best 13 Ireland has by a mile and that hasn't changed in years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hyperbolic. Ringrose is certainly not average, he's a great player, but let's not go to the extreme either.

Robbie Henshaw is comfortably Ireland's best centre in either position. At 13, I do not think Ringrose is miles ahead of anyone and he will be under pressure for his spot from the likes of Hume. Which is good news.

Advertisement