Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I renewed with Energia at the start of this month on their EV plan and the standing charge is 377.06. That is for a rural location.

But the 7.9cent night rate was the best I could find

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

377 is over a euro per day, that's very high, your bill will be 60-80 quid every two months even before you switch anything on

It is very high but that is for rural night rate. I think the cheapest of any provider is around 350 if signing up currently

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Also rural with energia.

I've 4 weeks left on the fixed EV rate (18c day, 5c night after discounts).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I think I have 2 months!

Gonna seriously have to look into what's best for me soon, I almost tipped over the 2000 kwh of night use last winter. And now with extended battery storage, I very likely will be over it next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

But that 7.9 rate inc vat, comes with a very expensive day rate, of 27.43 day rate incl vat, would really only suit people with PV, as thats a very expensive rate to be paying, especially for our quite lengthy winter months.

I did look at that tarriff, but it didn’t stack up for me, as usual, it depends on individual household usage etc. One needs accurate usage data, over a year at least, to find the best fit.

I'm currently using around 80% night rate. Mostly due to charging EV and running HP DHW at night.

In the process of finishing a PV install with a big battery so that will change things. And I can charge it on night rate in winter.

So it really is a case of what suits an individual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭verizon

I'm currently with Energia but switching to Bord Gais EV electric only plan. Energia smart tariffs seemed more expensive.

I was switched to a "Smart" meter earlier this year but to avail of Energias EV Tariff, I would have to switch again to a Day/Night meter which they said they would do cost free, but if I'm ever to switch back to a Smart meter, I'd be paying a few hundred euro to do so. It's probably already clarified in here, but the phone call I had with Energia was very frustrating, because they can clearly charge different rates for different times in the day on a smart meter, but they can't do it for their own EV tariff. They couldn't explain it at all.

Not sure why the average person has to put so much effort into understanding a household requirement and then finding the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got a smart meter installed last September. With Electric Ireland, 24hr rate of 25.73c/kWh, 272 standing charge.

Looking at Energia's D/N plan, 24.25/11.64, 296 standing.

So I just contact Electric Ireland and tell them I want a day/night meter before moving? Essentially putting the old meter back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I'm on Energia too, renewed contract at same rates above:

27.43 at day rate, 7.89 at night rate. Way more expensive that last year's plan but prices are up approx 15% too. Is a 12 month contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

Its ridiculous that they are not offering the same rate to smart meter customers and are also wasting ESB resources by encouraging customers to switch to Day/night meters.

I don't get the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

Did the opt-out for smart meter today after hearing the relentless ads in the media lately,had a look at the pricing again there at weekend, 2-4 in the morning low rates and super high rates 5-7 in the evening???absolutely crazy what good is that to anyone?,they've no more need for meter readings so if anything pricing should be cheaper surely?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

With Electric Ireland - rang them Thursday 16/6 to replace my Smart meter which was not activated. Day / night meter installed today. So less than a week for change over. Good going.

Great business plan from electric ireland/fitting smart meters that people don't want and then replacing them a few weeks later???🙈🙈🙈

Tbf ESB networks fitted the smart meter about 18 months ago and ESB Networks removed it today following my request through my Electricity provider as my EV coming in 4 weeks.

On a side note at 9:25pm Day/Night was reading 8:02pm - will this rectify itself or should I contact ESB?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Folks I got my charger installed last week and have to make an appointment with ei to wire new tails into the smart meter. I wonder should I just ask for the day/night meter install at the same time?

So your meter is an hour and a half slow?,you could use that to your advantage and say nothing- ie cheap rate electricity till around 10 30 in the morning in summer but you lose at night obviously,you'd need to have a think about that one.my own meter is half an hour slow(till 9 30)-very handy in summer (washing machine,heat water,ev charging etc).i am normally at home till around 10 most mornings.

Thanks John - wasn’t sure if that the case but if it is then I could work it to my advantage alright. I defo use more energy in the morning than around bed time - would also mean putting on washing machine and dishwasher in the morning rather than during the middle of the night. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Your meter is UTC i.e. winter time. It does have an offset of 17mins though, so you need to remember this when timing any loads to start on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anyone know if Bord Gáis Energy has a night boost rate? Can't tell from their website or from the switching sites.

Night rate of 10.51c/kwh incl VAT looks good, but hoping there's another lower rate for 02:00 - 04:00?

Also - a little advice - I'm with EI on a standard 24hr meter. Should I:

1. Switch providers and then order a Day/Night meter
    2. order a Day/Night meter and then switch

Wondering if the installation of a D/N meter locks you in for a further contract period, or restricts you from switching plans internally etc.

Leaving aside the 24 hour rate,

Youre choice is

1)a night rate for 9 hours per day low rate, or,

2)a smart meter, which has multiple time bands, some of which include a night boost. These are generally very poor value

There is no combination of the above 2 available.

For the meter switch query, you should switch to a night rate before you move supplier, as you can only go onto a day/night rate, if you have the meter in place. The meter switch does not involve a contract. Ring your current supplier to request the meter change, then, a day or two later, ring ESB networks to confirm they have the meter change request, as they are the people who actually arrange it.

Finally, when you switch providers, do the switch by phone, never, online as it takes up to several weeks for the switch to take effect if you do it online.

No, that's after the discount. Their rates are significantly more expensive (up from 16c at day and 4.7 at night) but still seem competitive. Not using a smart meter, just old fashioned day/night one

So rang Electric Ireland last Thursday as requested a switch to a day / night meter from my smart meter which I never activated. Electric car on way from Emden and coming in 2 weeks. D/N meter fitted Monday so very quick turnaround to be fair. Singed up to Energia on the net with D/N rate of 24.25 / 11.64 which I thought was good. Gas @ 6.24 cent

Electric Ireland rang today to try and convince me to stay - offered me following - 22.6 / 10.97 cent for electricity and gas @ 5.6 cent. Standing charges are very similar for both companies. Was paying 25 cent day rate with EI. Going to stay with EI now. Small bit of hassle but should be a nice reduction on my bills after that.

Flagging , i made a huge mistake by switching online, and it took 6 weeks to switch over, i rang them multiple times, but was told as i switched online, i could not reverse that. Its way faster by phone. Long and short of it was, i got caught for my previous supplier - out of contract rates for a few weeks, (as my contract expired just after i got the day/night meter installed. This is why i mentioned this in my previous post yesterday.

Also, it was a bit of a drama, getting EI to DD my N26 bank account,i had to fill in a form and send it off, (an email of the form was rejected by EI, must be hardcopy)that took more than 2 weeks to rectify, had the same issue when i switched to Bord Gais in April 2021, they can’t seem to handle non Irish Ibans on their systems, or, are discouraging it, and when you call customer service, they read off a script that says only irish bank accounts accepted, which is incorrect, you have to fill in paper DD form, its all a bit much, but it is what it is.

IBAN discrimination, i think its called !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just noticed mine is one hour behind and was only installed last month.

Do these things not have daylight savings built-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

It will always be on GMT, hence why in summer the night rate is one hour later.

Yeah, organisations and institutions here are required by the EU to recognise and accept EU IBAN's. I imagine part of the problem is simply legacy systems with archaic validation haven't been updated, there's probably a JIRA card buried deep in a backlog to fix it :-D

• Advertisement

Should change automatically,check T1(night)-T2(day) arrows around changeover time and you'll see where you're at.

Advertisement