Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

this is not what the above posted article says

This marks the beginning of a formal infringement process against the United Kingdom.

so if you want to interpreted it did not start the process cool . in the eu words it sounds more they paused the process to give uk more time to think

however they did start to new proccess on wednesday on 2 other points

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think this area is under consideration by the EU again as well, so the "ban" on them could be relaxed somewhat.

However it is exactly the kind of thing (a drifting apart of the EU and the UK on such standards) that will lead to trouble for Ireland.

I suppose I've always been unsure that the EU can force implementation of the Protocol.

Yes they can hurt the UK economy badly, even very badly if it comes to it, but I have never believed they can make UK govt. implement the agreement if the politicians there decide they are not going to. They definitely don't want to and won't do it willingly and won't work with the EU on it - that's been obvious for over a year now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I suppose I've always been unsure that the EU can force implementation of the Protocol.

Yes they can hurt the UK economy badly, even very badly if it comes to it, but I have never believed they can make UK govt. implement the agreement if the politicians there decide they are not going to. They definitely don't want to and won't do it willingly and won't work with the EU on it - that's been obvious for over a year now.

International treaties are based on trust. The EU trusted the UK to stand over its side of the agreement and vice versa. However, the UK are not abiding by what they agreed so the EU can take actions against the UK.

Nobody can force the UK or the EU to do what they promised. But they shouldn't have to!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

'Nobody can force the UK or the EU to do what they promised. But they shouldn't have to!'

Well, sanctions can have that effect. If that fails, then extra sanctions might have that effect. And if that fails - well keep adding sanctions until there is nothing but war left.

Now no one wants war - do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If those stats on shellfish from NI are true, how how it not been picked up as a serious issue by the EU yet? I mean its very obviously taking the piss, NI could not suddenly increase its legitimate output theat much that fast???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Totally agree and it is awful it is coming to this. I have to say I found the performances of the UK politicians (e.g. the interview of Truss linked earlier) defending this (their new legislation) disturbing.

It is really just bare faced lies. Not the normal political spin you get as an unfortunate but maybe necessary part of democratic politics, it's more the type of up is down black is white reality melting that came from Trump's flunkies, or that the creatures of autocratic states put out. We expect that from them but despite Trump and co. + how we all got so used to and numbed by years of it, it still disturbs me to see ministers and the like from a democracy at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Wasn't the EU legal case put on hold as the UK and EU went back negotiating. And now it's started again as the UK have stopped negotiating (contrary to the talk out of them that they want a negotiated settlement)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Inflation in Ireland has surged again and was running at 8.3pc in May, the highest level since the 1980s. The new inflation figure from Eurostate shows the rise in the cost of living here is running below the EU average but significantly higher than France and Malta where the rise in the cosy of living was 5.8%pc in May.

Well on course for the 15% I predicted it will hit by winter.

With a trade war it will hit well over 20% in Ireland.

Nobody cares about international law. The USA doesn't even recognise the ICC.

I dont see Irish people bycotting America goods or foreign direct investment over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

I just checked Lumber futures and they're no a third the price they were six months ago so aside from fuel I can see the pandemic backlogs beginning to ease off.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Despite Johnson and his cronies being a thoroughly obnoxious bunch, I don't think anyone here in the UK is shaking in their boots at the prospect of the EU springing into action.The performance around the AZ debacle painfully exposed and debunked the myth that the EU can handle itself in a situation like this imo.

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't put too much stock in what people there think of the EU seeing as most don't have a clue how it works.

I used to have to explain to some of them what the UK was nevermind the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

With the talk of the UK government looking for some signs of confidence from the DUP, to be done on a phased basis (appointment of a Speaker in the assembly first), might an interpretation be made that they are going to get the DUP back into the Executive before the bill is enacted and then ... just not enact it?

Will shaft the DUP for sure, from their perspective, but it wouldn't be the first time Johnson did that to them. I know it makes them wary, but they depend on the government to make the changes they think are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think the current government really care whether or not Stormont ever sits again.

They might use the Stormont situation as another excuse to delay this bill they won't pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All bets are off with this Tory government, and is probably not their ultimate goal as @breezy1985 suggests ... but if this did come to pass I'm not so mature I wouldn't take immense delight at the DUP being out-manoeuvred for the umpteenth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Out-maneuvered? Theres nothing to out-maneuvre, theyve been lied to again and again by this Government alone and the Tory party for a century now. If they go along with this and get shafted its because they are as gullible as a puppy.

Time and again they refuse to take on board the warning Carson left for them about the Tories, its beyond funny how unwittingly and consistently naive they are, its just sad and quite pathetic at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Out manoeuvred from the point of view of the DUP; where simply lifting the football away as they swing their legs is a bold or clever strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

After being lied to so much by this (and earlier) governments, the phrase 'the result is the goal' jumps to mind. The DUP leaders know they're going to be lied to. They also know, eventually HMG will literally buy them off via the usual upping of subsidies, etc. Which, no doubt, benefit them (cash for ash anyone?) So, they know they're going to be lied to, expect it and plan for it. Takes two to tango - Westminster and the DUP.

This latest round has to be just joyous news to the DUP, they know they've got their sheeple supporters by the scruff, can frighten them with images of IRA types in balaclavas while their auxiliaries in the UVF deal drugs to the children of those DUP supporters. Now, the drug dealing apparently has been and will be more impacted by customs checks on the sea border, so that might be prompting the DUP a bit, but in reality, the worst thing that can happen to the DUP is peace and sanity. They'd have no purpose then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Not being a party to an international agreement is completely different from being a party to an international agreement but ignore it or breach it.

Very cheap attempt. Try again.

• Advertisement

Sure, you can nitpick.

It was started and immediately paused. So did it start? Yes, if you want to be pedantic. Did it really get anywhere? No, it was frozen immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Interesting - laugh all you want at Boris but things are moving quite quickly here......the UK move to prepare legislation to cut the protocol is moving things along. Looks like the EU has blinked. Not surprised the last thing the EU needs is a trade war and Boris knows it.

In time this will go away and both sides will sit down and agree a series of checks so minimal that it really doesn't matter.

The end solution in time I feel will be the British suggestion of 'Green' and 'Red' lanes which the British will control trade from the mainland UK to NI and the EU will retain some oversight control or right of control on 'Red' tagged.

It will all blow over eventually.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is obviously wrong. We were promised Ireland was going to be thrown out of the single market over this.

Will end up being a giant fudge....................Boris will manage to get restriction free trade between the mainland UK and NI through green lanes so he will be happy. The EU will end up folding into some position where they have oversight over 'red' stuff that the Brits say is destined for the Republic and therefore the EU single market and the Protocol will be left in place but it will nothing more than a piece of paper so the EU can say the Protocol is still in place..............

Will just take sometime for all the egos to settle down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe, but only until GB starts importing non-compliant product or moving away from EU standards - particularly important ones.

One scandal is all it will take.

Yes absolutely but suspect there will be a 'dispute process' in time which will allow both sides to deal with this. Bear in mind it can work the other way too and we also have no real evidence yet to suggest massive moves away by the UK from EU standards, reality is UK standards are high and there will be minimal appetite from within the UK itself to move away substantially from EU standards. Yes we may see issues with agricultural imports in time (although not clear) with countries outside of EU but really we don't know.

I personally have absolutely no concerns at all about British standards dropping - sure grew up with the BS kitemark as the gold standard. The paranoia about Britain post Brexit becoming some dumping ground for shoddy stuff and dodgy food is well paranoia........the average Brit isn't going to want to stuff chlorinated chicken down his gullet, well no more than any Irish fella is.

Just feel in time this will settle down as there just can't be any logical appetite within the EU or the UK for a massive trade war right now, it would be utterly bonkers. Also bear in mind in the greater scheme of things the border and NI may be a big deal to the Irish media etc but in a European context it's very minor and there are far bigger things that the EU is focused on right now.

I'm hoping sense prevails and we end up with a fudge and we can all use the printed copies of the NI Protocol as toilet paper !! It is beyond tedious now and we have bigger fish to fry.

Meh, we were told in 2016 that the EU would accept all the UK's rules in the easiest trade deal ever. Every month or two we just get more any day now the EU is about to capitulate. All we have are more reasonable solutions from the EU that the UK either refuses or accepts and then changes their mind. However I am sure that this time the conservatives will get everything they wanted. This is the one.

• Advertisement

Surely common sense would be the UK not breaking its own agreements? Though if the UK simply matches the EU standards as you say then it is fine, that was the deal May was offered a few years ago.

Advertisement