Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

If you bought from a UK dealership and paid with a debit card the transaction would have cost you less than 12euro and gone through instantly up to the allowed daily threshold, but you might be able to pre-agree a higher threshold with your bank (I did this but pre-Brexit).

The reality on the other side is you could have left Ireland wanting to buy a car in the UK for say 1 bitcoin and its value could have easily gone up or down 900euro by the time you get there plus id love to see you walk into the VRT office with a receipt for purchase of a car with 1 bitcoin, great way to get fast tracked for a revenue audit 😄

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Like other Ponzi schemes, the value of it comes from convincing new investors to invest to drive up the value for existing investors. It is not based on any economic output, it is not based on anything tangible.

It is complete fluff, a sentiment driven speculation game. And a lot of people are unfortunately going to lose their shirts for playing.

Nothing as nonsensical, illogical and intangible as crypto could ever be considered as a hedge against inflation. We could have hyperinflation next month and BTC could drop to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Where are you going with a bankers draft in 2022?

I'd be paying an awful lot less to wire money to the UK, companies like transfermate do it at far more reasonable reasonable cost.

Saying there is a risk in currency fluctuations doesn't add up. 1 bitcoin was 30k last week 20k this week so it's far worse than EUR/GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I used to buy things in a dark corner of the internet many years ago with bitcoin and the fluctuation in price was a serious pain in the ass. I can't remember exactly how I was doing things but I'd have to order $75-80 worth of bitcoin to be sure I'd have enough to buy an item currently priced at $70. I have vague memories of having $20 or so spare in my wallet on that site when it got shut down, it's probably worth thousands now 😥

When you start accusing people who challenge the validity of bitcoin as being trolls you lose all credibility.

Its very strange a car dealer will accept a bank transfer. You send it Monday then fly Wednesday. You seem to have stumbled on an obscure example to validity your position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I know that, but as mentioned earlier the person I was buying the car off wanted a banker's cheque so that is what I got them. I didn't want to transfer 17K into some random person's bank account. That is a sure fire way to lose your money

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I understand your scepticism, there's nothing tangible, this seems to be a blocker for a number of people, let me ask you if it were tangible would that make it more acceptable? If the keys were printed on paper would this then make it acceptable?

And if I was buying from a dealer that would take a transfer that would be possible. But as mentioned, it was a private sale and on a Saturday. Do you know of any bank transfers that can be done on a Saturday in an hour?

Obviously you are using an obtuse example to try justify an entirely new payment system, did it have to be a Saturday?

As a matter of interest as a seller I wouldn't take a bank draft in case it had been forged or cancelled.

See this is what I am talking about. Donald said there was no examples of bitcoin being cheaper than euro. I gave an example, a real-life one that happened. And instead of the response being I never thought of that, maybe I was wrong and there are things about bitcoin I'm not sure of.

The response is, why didn't you use transfer wise, why didn't you transfer money into his bank account, why didn't you fly on a different day.

I flew Saturday and gave him a banker's cheque because that is what he wanted. We popped into the bank they ran the cheque through the system and confirmed it was legit. He was happy I hopped in the car and drove home.

Yes there are other ways to buy a car, but the question wasn't what is the cheapest way to buy a car in the UK. It was to provide 1 example. Which i did.

• Advertisement

The keys being printed on paper makes no difference, that doesn't address the tangibility.

Physical crypto keys would be just as worthless and usless as virtual keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You don't understand what a "hedge" is.

(Financial hedges that is, in case you are thinking of the one in your garden)

By his logic pretty much every asset class is a hedge.

Grumpypants. Your example of a use for bitcoin is a real world instance of when you could have used it but didn't.

You also mention that you would not want to transfer cash to someone else's bank account ....... but you appear willing to transfer bitcoin to another user ...... an inherently irreversible transaction. At least when using the bank, there is an intermediary who can potentially stop or reverse the transaction.

Again moving goal posts. You asked for an example I gave you one. But apparently now that's not good enough.

Yes I would not like to transfer money to someone's bank account and as suggested fly over a few days later.

With bitcoin I'd be there beside him I'd have verified the car, the documentation etc was all in order. I'd hit send and we would have a cuppa while it processed, and he could then confirm it was there. I'd be on my way. No messing about.

He could have converted it right away into sterling or could have kept it, and had about 50 grand worth of bitcoin now.

But yeah that's a stupid system. I should put money into strangers bank accounts in different countries. That's the smart move.

You didn't really give me an example use case grumpypants. You gave me the example of a case when you possibly could have used it ..... but you chose not to use it .... even though by your own claim, you could have saved 900 quid by using it!

What would you do if you gave your man his bitcoin, drove the car a mile down the road and the engine fell out of it? Go to a judge and say "yeah, I sent my tokens to this anonymous wallet address which I cannot prove that man has any connection to. I know he says he never met me and he does own that wallet, but will you please tell him to give me money".

Every asset class that protects the purchasing power of your investment against the diminishing purchasing power of just holding cash would be a hedge against inflation. I hold very little cash. About 6 months worth.

Again goalposts moving. My example of a scenario where using bitcoin would be cheaper than using euro isn't acceptable because I didn't actually do it.

If I bought a shirt in Dunnes for €20 and then saw it in Tesco for a tenner am I not allowed to say that is an example of a cheaper shirt because I didn't buy it.

And then you invent fantasy scenarios to make your arguement. But for the sake of argument. I'd do the same thing I would do if I gave him cash, or a bank transfer, or a transfer wise, or any other method of payment.

I'd eat the loss because it's a private car sale. There is no come back.

Your scenario makes no sense at all, that's why he's questioning it.

There are far better easier and cheaper ways to do what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

And what’s €1000 v €1000 worth of BTC 6 months ago???

• Advertisement

Your scenario is the fantasy scenario. Proven by the fact that you didn't use it!

There is nothing wrong with putting your money into crypto. You can make good money from it. But you need to be honest about what it is and what it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Buying loads of link today 😁

Imagine someone said there is no example of cars costing 40k. Then I went to a car dealer today, there was a car there for 40,000. But I didn't buy a car. That doesn't mean there wasn't an example of a car there for 40,000.

You ask for an example, I gave you an example. It's irrelevant if I went through with it or not. It existed.

That's why you don't use a short cycle when talking about investing to hedge against inflation. You look at a long term so the inflation can have its effect.

Really it's 5,10,20,30 years.

If you are going to invest for just 6 months to try and beat inflation. I wouldn't recommend bitcoin.

I'd prob just fill the tank with oil. 500 liters a week ago was 750, today it's 790. And they expect it to go up another 150-200.

If you wanted to invest for a return in 2024 then bitcoin would be a good option. I fully expect it to hit 120-150k.

Grumpypants, you had the choice, and you chose an expensive bank draft. There is no point in trying to say that bitcoin would have been a better solution. If it was a better solution, you'd have used it and saved that money you are talking about.

Again Grumpypants, you don't seem to understand what a hedge is. A hedge should allow you to balance out movements in what you are hedging.

We've come through a sustained period of low or zero inflation, whereas your bitcoin has gone up massively in that time. Once we hit a period of actual inflation, your bitcoin has tanked.

It isn't an inflation hedge. By all means include a very small percentage of it in some portfolio you've constructed as a hedge, but it isn't in and of itself a hedge for inflation. It's just a speculative asset at this point in time.

If it existed you would have used it rather than waste money.

But you couldn't do because either or both parties could be burned by bitcoin fluctuations.

All you are doing is dreaming up a hypothetical scenario of only being able to do it on a Saturday, by bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Inflation has only become an issue in last 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can a mod change the thread title - it is becoming tiresome seeing new posts only to see people bickering over crypto

Go to the other thread ffs

• Advertisement

Thread title is "are we excited yet". That allows for people to answer both "yes" and "no".

Advertisement