Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Good We will give it a go thanks, look forward to seeing some scenes from Antwerp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

pure shite, i watched it to the end but pure shite,

The acting, jesus wept

Not hugely impressed so far after 2 episodes.. holes in the plot and most of the actors seem to be overacting a bit to the point where I neither like or believe them also with Irish, Belgium and Canadians involved I'd be afraid it'll turn into a bit of a stew, but I'll stick with it I suppose... Its hard to find an honest review from an irish source where irish actors are involved, its why I try to avoid watching them straight after they are released, I'll get around to watching normal people some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭dball

i enjoyed Normal people, possibly best to watch it in the middle of a lock (frame of mind) down though as it helps with the cringey lovely romancey stuff!!

Herself and myself endured another two episodes last night, and I think we'll leave it there, we neither care nor want to know what happens next though can see what direction its going, all badly miscast imv Kirby and the husband with the obligatory beard don't work and Cathy Belton acting like hell in every scene shes in, they even managed to get a plug for Louis Copeland into the script... Couldn't get into it at all, would an Irish cop be allowed to swan around crime scenes and police stations in Belgium asking the odd question? It also seems to be infected a bit by the wokey variant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But there's no ad breaks and you get 540 more pixel width.

That's almost exactly the 544 pixel width that Virginmedia use on Saorview. /RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭cozar

i did'nt see it on RTE and i won't be watching on BBC either. i thought it was an odd choice to fill the 9pm saturday night slot usually the caliber of programmes are top notch. have'nt seen it but i doubt it would measure up to the usual BBC4 sat night fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BBC Four is now up for another potential round of cuts to services if the BBC has to find more money to spend elsewhere in the corporation.

To be honest the article is probably giving us a bit of scaremongering. Although there could be a bit of realism attached to it as well. BBC Four officially do not have the Eurovision Semi-finals along with the sports coverage anymore. All of that content is being switched back over to BBC Three once it comes back to linear TV on Tuesday week.

There is also the inevitable possibility that the BBC licence fee funding will be frozen under instructions from Nadine Dorries in the Tory government if they are still in Government in Westminster.

However considering all of the latest relevations about the parties in Downing St during lockdown; the topic of licence fee funding for the BBC being frozen by the Tories may make that commitment highly questionable at this current time.

If the Sue Gray report about the lockdown parties in Downing St unlocks any suggestion that it will not act too kindly to them in future; the Tories will be suffering with a huge amount of turmoil afterwards with the British public at the ballot box.

If the report makes any formal calls in it to carry out a radical punishment with the how the UK is being run at the moment. It would act as the major indicator of an instant P45 for the Tory government currently in power at Westminster.

Anyway the main question yet to be addressed on the matter as the Tories are still in power for now is if more cutbacks were happen to BBC Four in the near future with maybe all of it's content being swapped over to BBC Two; Would you be happy with seeing that change even when you don't pay for the BBC licence fee here in Ireland.

You wouldn't be happy with all of that BBC Four archive content being stuck on iPlayer in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I would fear for the loss of BBC 4 it would be a shame. It's been a great channel overall but is it's ethos enough of a priority in this day and age.

Given the nature of UK politics I don't see a swing away from the Tories that would keep them out of power until 2028/2029. Such was the scale of the 2019 win, they effectively stopped Labour winning 2024 as well. And the BBC is not too popular outside Greater London, it's lost many of it's defenders from a decade or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

BBC Four acquires first original drama series from the Faroe Islands.

The highly anticipated six-part show is based on the crime novels of Jógvan Isaksen and filmed in the Faroe Islands.

Sounds interesting!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/faroe-islands-crime-drama-trom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hidden Assets apparently has some fans in the Sunday Times "You Say" TV column!

But proper Eurocrime returns soon.

6 part French series The Promise starts on Saturday 12th February on BBC4, starring Olivier Marchal (Crimson Rivers).

And Rocco Schiavone returns to More4 on Friday 11th February.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched a few of those rocco schiavone ones really excellent. Going by IMDB there seems to be a tonne of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

F for following 😗

(feed must have dropped with the changeover)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

watched the first couple of episodes of The Promise and thought it was pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭cozar

thought it was excellent. from the writers of Spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mentioned this on the film forum as well that BBC Four are showing a Korean movie, Burning, at 10pm on Saturday. I thoroughly enjoyed this when I first saw it and it gained a lot of praise when it came out. Worth a look. Very absorbing story that keeps you on your toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

is it dubbed or subtitled? 😶

Beck is back on BBC4... Saturday 7th May with Series 8.

Also, for fans of Eurocrime, in the Friday night slot on More4, Nordic Murders (aka more apt name Baltic Crimes) will takeover from Crimson Rivers on Friday 13th May.

BBC Four airing promos for what seem to be the last set of episodes of Il commissario Montalbano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

That's great news. Brilliant series. As are the original books. Just checked the bbc 4 website and there are two repeat episodes airing at its traditional 9pm Saturday slot, starting tomorrow night. Hopefully the new episodes will follow.

• Advertisement

New Nordic Noir series starting 9th July - Trom.

Seems like it is a 6 episode miniseries, with 2 episodes airing Saturday nights.

Danish crime drama about a journalist who returns to his former home in the Faroe Islands to investigate the death of an animal rights activist during a local whale hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is there a date yet when over-the-air is ceasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

BBC4 running season of classic Beeb dramas from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Among them is the Singing Detective which I've always been meaning to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boys from the Blackstuff starts next week

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think its until 2026, so a bit too early for a specific date.

Have already set to record the first 3 episodes of Boys From the Blackstuff being shown next Wednesday. Presumably the 'Yosser' episode will be the following Wednesday.

Talk about an actor's varied career... Bernard Hill (from Manchester) playing Yosser (quintessential Scouser) in Boys of the Blackstuff and ending up in roles like the Captain of the Titanic & then King of the Horselords in Lord of the Rings!

Our Friends In The North is the one I'm looking forward to seeing!

Superb documentary about the life of Ingrid Bergman on BBC Four last night,she always had a cine camera with her so her life is documentated from her childhood to her death in 1982.

On Wednesday 27th July, BBC4 will air a documentary & episodes of the acclaimed 13-part drama series The Roads to Freedom - which is being shown on television for the first time since 1977 as part of the BBC's Centenary celebrations. Based on the novels by Jean-Paul Sartre and set in Nazi-occupied France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Advertisement