Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

Refuses to accept that people may have a different opinion and still not be a bigot....check

Attempts to shut down conversation or opposing voices by calling them names or falsely interpreting a comment or opinion to be "phobic......check

Unable to answer any direct questions because it will show hypocrisy, dishonesty and ignorance....check

Uses silly cliched terms and insults to deflect from the subject in hand....check

Hi Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Can dogs whistle? Who knew. My hound is such a layabout. Wouldn't learn how to whistle if you promised him all the squeeky toys in Petstop.

They have no intention of engaging with actual debate and discussion because deep down they know perfectly well how weak their arguments are.

Even a 5-year old child could dismantle their arguments.

All you've done it insult/label other posters when they express an opinion, or perspective different from yours... and when called on it, you disappear, only to reappear later to do it all over again. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Only because there allowed do it. I genuinely don't know how this thread is still going there mod must be busy and hasn't been tipped off yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

That's all the poster has, a complete inability to answer even the most base level questions without throwing insults at the person asking them. the lack of self awareness is astounding but not unexpected, all these people have is bullying and bullies never win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nothing at all wrong with this thread. It's quite a good discussion, apart from one poster who is intent on labelling everyone a homophobe or some such phobe. They haven't even made one arguable point in the last few pages, it's just dog whistle this, dog whistle that, homophobe this or that.

I'd argue for leaving them in the thread though. They are making a show of themselves, and showing that they don't have the ability to debate in a civilised manner, have no points to make and that they can only throw out insults and accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im not saying there's anything wrong going on or reason to lock it just usually when things are not going to plan it's locked and thrown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Based on the discussion so far in this thread, there would be absolutely no reason to close it.

I do think a certain poster deserves an infraction though. They personally insulted other posters. Does the “play the ball not the man/woman/astralgender” not apply anymore on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

When you strip it all back and boil it down to basics, what's basically going on is that there is no discussion allowed around the trans issue. The world is expected to accept men who identify as women and vice versa as being the opposite sex. So, a man can have plastic surgery and get a set of breasts but we're, to put it crudely, supposed to ignore his cock and balls and say he's a woman. Likewise, a woman can have a double mastectomy, take hormones to grow a beard but we're supposed to ignore that she has a vagina and not a cock and balls and say that she's a man. When she has a period she's not a woman, she's a person who bleeds/menstruates.

We're supposed to say that her having a cervix and uterus doesn't mean that she's a woman, 'they' are a person with a cervix and uterus. We biological women are supposed to ignore the word women being changed to womxn, endorsed fully by Michelle Obama. We're supposed to accept comments from TENI saying that we should be terrorised and smashed out of existence. If ordinary men and women who aren't trans disagree we're all bigots and homophobes. That we shouldn't even be allowed to discuss the issue if we aren't trans. That it is necessary to haul the State Broadcaster before a government committee for even allowing discussion on the matter. It beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

they now identify as "no-ans gender" : identifying as someone who can't answer questions.

I am not allowed discuss …

They only have power in the fooked up Americanised Western world.

They have shag all power in the major population centres of the world.

The West at this stage is going up it's own ass which suits Asian powers and a certain Eastern European/Asian power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Two gay men on the 6 o clock show said the rights of trans people are not up for debate in any way. Well, when they demand the majority of the population to shut up and conform , they are going to get a debate whether they like it or not. Life is about accepting that people will always be different and hold different views. They seem oblivious to this common curtsey

Except if you were to ask either of those two men what human "rights" trans- people are unable to enjoy in this country unlike everyone else, they would not be able to give a single example.

What's being demanded isn't trans- rights, as all rights are already enshrined in law.

What's being requested is that we give special treatment to trans- people at the expense of (mostly) biological women's identity. And that's not on.

And for them to dictate the terms and parameters of the debate is pure arrogance.

But what about when those rights trample on the rights of others?

In particular it seems to be that trans rights drive a coach and four through the rights of women.

And I don't mean their definition of women which includes blokes that reckon they feel like women yet they hang onto their cock and balls.

Women are meant to just suck it up if trans women who still have all their bits in place want to share a changing room.

Women are meant to just suck it up if trans women who have born and raised male want to compete in women's sports.

Women are meant to just it up when they are being told they are no longer women but cis women.

Women are meant to just suck it up when they are being told it not just them that have a cervix, not just them that can give birth, not just them that can breastfeed.

To me this whole thing looks like wholesale misogyny gone wild, because the ones facing the brunt of this are women and it is more often than not being perpetrated by males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

”not up for debate”

Unfortunately that’s not how a democratic society works lads. If your rights demand that we redefine women then it’s mandatory that we debate it.

"Women are meant to just suck it up if trans women who still have all their bits in place want to share a changing room."

I'd have phrased that differently 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

You're all guilty of cistemic racism.

• Advertisement

To me this whole thing looks like wholesale misogyny gone wild, because the ones facing the brunt of this are women and it is more often than not being perpetrated by males.

By males who don't want to be male...

Isn't this potentially damaging to public health campaigns?

For instance: instead of "women" being called for cervical smears, the campaign may see either "people" or "people with cervixes".

If the word woman is erased, it makes things less receptive as the word "people" in campaigns is so broad.

Moreover, polling shows that many women are not familiar with anatomical terms - with 50% not knowing where a cervix is, and 57% saying "they don't know much about women's anatomy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Why is this user allowed to insult other members? She does that all the time and as soon as someone pushes back they get a warning and thread gets locked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Two gay men on the 6 o clock show....

You will not believe this, but the second I read that it shot into my head they'll be just like those gogglebox guys.

Turns out...they ARE the gogglebox guys lol

Do I know types or do I know types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

You'll always get the ones who'll shut the loudest heard, there's a lot of lgb people who disagree with them but wouldn't speak out as the vocal minority can be very vicious and nasty in the community, thats why the gay scene so diluted, many of us are happy to go to regular bars and just enjoy life,as for panti he has some balls coming out with the chap on twitter really getting her knickers in a twist.

Completely agree. I happen to be gay, and almost all gay people I know actually, are either hostile to what's going on with T or are apathetic and don't want to know about it (toward trans activists, but completely accepting of trans people themselves). There are a lot of gay people who are "going along" with it, so not as to cause offense, but who privately - when you get them on their own - express the polar opposite opinion.

It's definitely a minority that's leading the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Ah yes, just like the JKR thread that was mysteriously closed even though it revolves around the exact same topic but my biggest concern with the trans discussion involves hormonal children going through puberty. Am I wrong in saying they shouldn't be allowed decide what to do with their bodies until they reach adulthood or at least be educated in such circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What I don't understand maybe someone can shed further light on it.

This particular debate stemmed from proposed changes to maternity wording legislation ...namely person with a cervix.

Now if I'm born a female with everything working but I feel actually I don't identify as female I identify as male so from this point forward I want to be referred to as male -he/him and I want a male name and I'm going to wear male or androgenous clothes.... definitely not feminine stuff.

How the hell do I end up pregnant?*

If I'm male, living life as a man how does it happen? ....surely you've denounced all "female bits" of your life.

I get female to male will still menstruate unless they go surgery/hormones route but is pregnancy not totally off "the table"

There's some mental gymnastics to jump through to understand the situation.

I'm female, but actually no I'm a male, but I'm going to do the "most female" thing I can do and get pregnant..then I want everyone to pander to my feelings.... twilight zone stuff!!

*I get they are obviously still having vaginal sex with a man or else ivf.

• Advertisement

Interesting that you ask that. I was just reading Douglas Murray's latest article on precisely this issue.

One paragraph stood out:

But what the hell do children know? Children are not born wise or with complete self-knowledge. They are — by nature — highly suggestible. If a child lives in a society that tells them they might be trans then some will mistakenly believe it. Most will turn out to be perfectly straight or gay. And some of the latter might see being trans as an easier — and more acceptable — solution. I know this from interviewing such people and hearing about the terrible consequences.

And if we're honest, he's right.

Given that children are involved, and given the irrevocable consequences of some surgeries, it's paramount that we debate this matter. Not for the amusement of adults on online forums, but in the interests of young children who may be confused.

Advertisement