Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Take the cost of the car new and go buy one of the in-stock Tesla Model 3. Probably the only way you get into a car quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Is this refund they are proposing a full RRP refund or a market value refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

No interest in a Tesla to be honest.

Nice car, just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm only suggesting it as they have stock. If you look elsewhere then you might need to wait which isn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

"You can't drive a loaner car free for 9 months".

Such a disappointing attitude from them.

They are making THEIR problem your problem.

Hopefully a decent solicitor can navigate a suitable for you pathway out of this mess.

Post edited by Old diesel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

It’s a tricky situation and not a nice place for you to be in, your experience with the new car ruined. Hard to see how it can be sorted to your satisfaction at this stage, as you said they sold your trade in so that’s not an option, if you are still set on a new M50 and don’t want your existing one I’m not sure what you can do. Personally I’d probably order a new one and would only purchase a car for 9 months based on a guarantee of 100% rebate in trade in value against the new car. Then you have the cost of fuel vs electricity which is also a major factor now considering it cost me €116 to fill the motor yesterday 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

They've said 9 month wait with no option to expedite and they're asking me to purchase a car from them for the 9 month period as "I can't drive a loaner car for free for that time", their words.

Of course you can but the problem becomes how do you insure it if you're no longer the owner of your existing inoperable brand new BMW. If the dealer takes back ownership as part of the 9 months replacement you then no longer have a current insurance policy and you can't insure a car that isn't yours.

A family member bought a new Hyundai last year and and due to a poor trade in value offered for their existing car the dealer advised to try and sell privately and if successful they'd give my family member a loaner car between the expected delivery and arrival. The trade in car was sold within 24 hours of being advertised and dealer held true to his word on the offer of a loaner car but with no longer a car in their name the insurance company was a big obstacle. Eventually the dealer agreed to transfer ownership of the loaner car to my family member so that it could be insured until the new purchase arrived. The new purchase took a further 4 months before it eventually arrived and the loaner car and was then transferred back to the dealer. That said the loaner car was a low value 2007 Ford Focus but at no stage did any transfer of funds, cash or electronic exchange hands for the use of the loaner car so where there's a will there's a way.

Good luck with pursuing the matter, certainly not what you'd expect after handing over a huge sum of money to a supposedly prestige car manufacturer and associated dealer network. In trying to obtain a refund is that to include the car detailing and associated expense there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

To be honest, if they've offered you a refund then they've probably met their legal obligation. It's understandable a replacement wouldn't be available given the problems with supply at the moment. Can't see what other options there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

Polestar 2?

I ordered an eDrive 40 at the beginning of May and the dealer told me it will be late Q1 2023 before it arrives; your mooted 9 month wait could extend. Also it seems that BMW are dropping options willy-nilly (eDrive 40 config now doesn't allow DAP selection.) I'm unsettled by the notion that when the order is confirmed (probably much later this year?) I will only find out then that it will be missing desirable options.

I'm going to test drive a Polestar 2 AWD next week. According to their website I could have one of them with pretty much all the toys within weeks.

It's making me think, though I am aware that it's an 'older' car than the i4 and has a much shorter range.

And I can't help thinking that no matter what, I'll still pine for the Bimmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

My thoughts too, I would be inclined get the money back and run so long as its what you paid and maybe a tiny bit less. Order from a different BMW dealer or switch brand whatever is your preference. I am really sorry for you that this is playing out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I think you have to wait for the repair hard and all as it is , Hopefully with the loaner car you have it might make them sort out the issue quicker as im sure they want it back asap.

You are not been unreasonable holding onto it until they get the i50 fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If they say that they have fixed the car in the next week or two, do you still want it?

if it's a case that you have lost faith and trust in the car, then take a refund as long as it's what the car cost and move on. It will have cost you on your own car but I think I would swallow this to get away from the dealer. Your relationship with them seems to have broken down so why prolong the experience?

If on the other hand, you want the car back, you will have to wait I suppose.

personally, I would move on and buy something in stock for a year from a BMW dealer while ordering a new i4 at the same time. Something like a demo iX3 of which there are a few around is similar money and would lose very little over the next few months.

Not strictly true.

The 1980 Sales of goods and supply of services act is not clear in this regard.

Both parties typically need to agree as to whether it's a refund, a repair or a replacement. (The law doesn't deal with how difficult a replacement might be, I've indicated I'm flexible on colour and spec).

They've proven unable to repair.

I've rejected refund on the basis of the price increase and the fact that replacing my trade in would cost 8k more than the value I was given.

Hence I've asked for replacement.

It's now for both of us to agree acceptable replacement terms, or let the solicitors deal with it if we cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I might have missed it in a previous post but have they been able to tell you what the issue with the car is? Must be fairly catastrophic if they can’t repair it.

SME unit and gasket been replaced twice.

Now they are waiting for a "DC Charge Connector" to come from Germany on Thursday I'm told.

Based on the information I've received, it would appear that the support/response that the dealer has received from BMW has been ... let's say... suboptimal.

Day 45 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

With a model so new to market - is it just me that thinks BMW should pretty much have an engineer from Germany dedicated to getting to the bottom of an issue like this.

So that if it subsequently became a wider issue across the model - they are on top of it quickly.

A reasonable expectation in line with my own... But here we are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

To be honest I'd eat the 8k and take the refund and run.

If they're offering you a refund they themselves don't think they can repair it.

You could try BMW to give you stock replacement but doubt it due to demand so bad timing unfortunately. They're not going to give you a replacement.

Take the money and run, never darken their doors again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

No way I would take the 8k hit here. I'd be looking for the refund and to be given a car of similar spec to what I traded in so I'm at least back in the position I was before I started.

What did you trade in with them @yllw.ldbttr ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

@v10 My order is pushed back another month now. Since I ordered the cancellation order in May, the build week has been pushed back 2 months. Fairly frustrating to buy a new car these days!!

Traded in a beautiful (to me) 5 series M sport.

2019 with a mere 26k km on it. Mint condition. It had been the sales managers car for a few months when I purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I didn’t realise you’d be 8k down if you walk away with simple refund.

that’s unacceptable.

have they formally offered you anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hardly. Most are 4 pot diesels and many go on fire.

I've owned E34, E39 and E60, all petrol and all straight six or V8. Those were amazing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

yeah it's getting very frustrating for sure. I checked again today and told it's still status 101, due for build week starting 1st August, delivery mid August but I take it all with a pinch of salt now. Not sure I'll be taking it if it delays much further.

I’ve never had a diesel BMW, have petrol/hybrid, my dad had many diesel BMW’s…. none went on fire……

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

Car has arrived, registering on 1st July, organised to pick it up on 5th July.

• Advertisement

Lucky you, very best of luck with your ultimate driving machine.

Advertisement