Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

By the sounds of it though, Johnson is playing a long game. He won't try and remove the ECHR now, but instead will make it a manifesto pledge for the next general election. All he needs to do for the moment is keep things bubbling over, the ECHR continuing to intervene in deportations, the right wing press will remain fully on board with the Rwanda scheme etc. It might be that he has the idea of a snap general election in mind within the next 12 months.

Well, first off the black economy isn't a theory.. it exists. And of course using it as a "rational" for them going there stacks up. It's not the only reason.. And again, as I've stated previously, it shows why migrants would come to the UK in spite of the low unemployment benefits.

I wasn't trying to explain why the UK is more attractive than France or other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is the UK more attractive than France? I thought they were getting lower inwards migration than both Germany and France. I can see the language being in its favour, but beyond that, someone would want reasons other than the warm tory welcome to pick the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No, what you said was that "there is an active, and large Black economy in operation". It isn't that large, it's actually small compared to other industrial countries, so the notion that it would be "an economy that migrants would be aware of through cultural/ethnic/national word of mouth" doesn't stack up.

But the UK is 'not' more attractive than European countries - this is where the English tabloids are openly and deliberately lying to their readers.

Germany, France and Spain get far more asylum applications per year than the UK (Germany and France almost three times more). Which means the vast majority of asylum seekers who enter France choose not to travel on to the UK.

• Advertisement

10% of the national GDP seems rather large to me... it's not larger than other countries, but then, I didn't make such a claim.

Really love how you're all seeking to shift the goalposts away from the post I responded to.. and the context in which I stated the references to the black economy. Awesome stuff.. quite funny really, but hardly subtle.

"10% of the national GDP seems rather large to me"

Well, you clearly don't know what you are talking then, because out of of 159 countries the UK has the 7th smallest shadow economy, which makes a nonsense of your claim that it would be "an (black) economy that migrants would be aware of through cultural/ethnic/national word of mouth"

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/shadow_economy/

Post edited by Ahwell on

You clearly don't understand basic English then, because you're taking (and even quoting) the sentence, but then, claiming it means something different (while arguing against your own difference). You keep trying to twist what was stated.. but it's there in clear language..

Ridiculous the need to twist language rather than engage a discussion with logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

This is quite an amusing post considering the deficits of basic logic you have exhibited throughout this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People did vote against toxic bigots in the last Westminster election.

Corbyn and his Jew baiter fan club received the worst election result in 85 years and that is for a party with a gift for losing elections.

• Advertisement

Boris Johnson and Priti Patel now considering the introduction of electronic tagging of those who enter the UK illegally.

This is actually a sensible policy. Not all migrants abscond, of course, but many do. It also serves as an additional layer of deterrence to discourage migration across the English Channel. Anything that reduces the risk of people drowning in the channel can only be a good thing.

But, as always, it comes down to the ECHR, and the UK needs to pull out fast - rather than delaying it until the next election. 50,000 economic migrants have already crossed the channel this year, so we could easily be talking 100,000+ migrants this year alone. Imagine that number, increasing, over the next few years; you could be talking a population the size of the city of Liverpool or Manchester. It's totally unsustainable.

The people downplaying the numbers as "not that many" are either unaware of the numbers or are being deliberately misleading.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This thread is really funny to read back over considering the lads who were celebrating cruelty couldn't be told that this wouldn't work.

It's like they get really excited and their ability to actually think goes out the window entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

No matter how many nonsensical policies Johnson and Patel introduce, there will also be plenty of Tory toads on here claiming the policy is "sensible".

Doublethink doesn't even begin to describe it.

"the truth is that there is an active, and large Black economy in operation. An economy that migrants would be aware of through cultural/ethnic/national word of mouth.

I'm not the one confusing "large" with small. The truth is the UK has the 7th smallest black economy in the world. Yet you are trying to imply refugees would be aware of it because of it's largeness, which is clearly an illogical thing to claim.

Post edited by Ahwell on

Is there anything to be said for building a wall? Man it with a bunch of volunteers and equip them with long poles and they can just keep pushing the little boats back into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Can we then fill it with water

*punchline to a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

This concerns Ireland big time. Ilegal econmoic migrants are free to take the ferry from UK to Belfast, then enter into the republic with zero checks. I think its true to say we are all for legal migration processes to fill low skilled and high skilled jobs, but without security background checks, we dont know who is coming into the UK shores daily (and potentially ireland).

The Belfast route well known that this was a route many Nigeria's tookbefore claiming aslylum in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The easiest solution would just be to intercept the boats/dinghies at sea and drop the economic migrants back on the French shore that day. Same with those that are intercepted as they make landing. Let the French deal with a problem that they should have done from the beginning when these people arrived there.

Rwanda is a joke by the Tories. And a very bad one at that.

Well, that's unlikely to happen.

That said, technically at least, migrants who manage to secure a UK passport after a number of years will be able to travel and live here. The numbers are unlikely to be huge, of course, but it's a possible pathway for them to legally move to Ireland.

On the security point, I think that's inescapable. We've seen footage in the channel of migrants throwing away their passports and other documentation once they've passed the maritime line into UK waters. The UK is limited on the kind of checks they can do if they've very little to go by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's awful simple when you are clueless....

You can't return them to France because they are not French and in any case a UK war ship or other state vessels can't enter French territorial waters without permission from the French, otherwise it would be considered an act of war.

The UK had a solution and the walked away from it, they were offered an alternative they rejected it. So it is their political BS that have then in this mess.

• Advertisement

Large. Not huge. Not massive. Not above average. Large.

10% of the UKs GDP.. that's a significant percentage when considering the range of jobs to support migrants. So, twist it any way you like, but I stand by my original points.

Grand. No point continuing that then.

Even though it is bollox. How about taking out the incorrect bit and put in the "truth"

"the truth is that there is the 7th smallest black economy in the world in operation. An economy that migrants would be aware of through cultural/ethnic/national word of mouth."

How does that scan? Not very well.

Though from what I can gather, none of the Rwanda refugees were being deported for security reasons. None had criminal records or had been investigated over security concerns. It's debatable whether refugees or asylum seekers pose any sort of a credible security risk to a country (actual terrorists probably have the money and resources to enter a country quite legally with documentation and have no need to arrive on board a dinghy).

The Rwanda solution up until now has been gesture politics; appealing to the base.

It was predicted weeks ago that the European Court of Human Rights would hold up the stop sign, and that they did.

If Johnson and Patel are serious about the Rwanda solution, they'd commit to excising the UK from the ECHR. UK courts have already thrown out objections, paving the way for the policy to be put into action.

It may well be that Johnson views it as another version of the Irish Protocol. Something that will drag on for months or years and featuring regular clashes with the ECHR. This may have been the original plan - "what sort of scheme can we introduce that will really rile people up and galvanise the base?". It's definitely eye catching and hugely controversial, which might have been its aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

2. The British Government will complete incorporation into Northern Ireland law of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), with direct access to the courts, and remedies for breach of the Convention, including power for the courts to overrule Assembly legislation on grounds of inconsistency.

Best of luck to them backing out of that and burning what bridges they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I honestly think that this is a good idea. It's usually safe to say that if something annoys the Guardian then it's a good thing. There's a huge industry around illegal migrants and people trafficking. They're in France and want Britain because they'll get away with more in Britain than in France. I think the French are also required to carry photo ID which isn't the case in Britain. The French have been turning a blind eye to illegal migrants heading from France to Britain for years. No country can sustain unlimited numbers of illegal migrants arriving in dingys onto their coast. How many is enough? None according to some.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/19/outrage-over-scheme-to-electronically-tag-refugees-arriving-in-the-uk

Better still, they could just hobble them, Misery style. Cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John_caffrey

Really interesting topics for the Irish society. Well done.

Maybe the UK can first stop engaging in illegal wars that have messed up all those asylum seekers' countries.

By the way this is the first time I hear that an asylum seeker can be illegal because they are an asylum seeker.

Also you are being emotional about this topic in the title and post. Yes it should be resolved and yes it costs a fortune, but there is work and opportunities for everyone but goverments are running out of ideas and momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Greeks have being doing this for years with the tacit support of the EU, taking people who enter the country illegally from the sea, putting them on lifeboats and leaving them back in Turkish waters from whence they came

The asylum systems of European nations were never envisaged to deal with mass immigration, it is not sustainable but the likes of the EU don't want to admit that and instead look for all sorts of workarounds

Advertisement