Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In Rathdrum, Wicklow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Help_Dubai

Significant but not surprising increase in prices for phase 2 avonmore view

https://www.daft.ie/new-home-for-sale/avonmore-view-ballinderry-road-rathdrum-co-wicklow/3934948

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John E.

Yes, now €330k for the standard 3 bed semi-d … though how much was it in phase one? 290k??

I ask because I have noticed (not least in myself) that a one year rise form 300k to 330k (e.g.) is seen as “crazy!” when in fact it is simply 10% over the year when some of the ingredients of the cost have risen more than 50% … It’s the fact that that “small” rise takes something from just-within-reach to out-of-reach that prompts that sense of panic and that it’s all gone “crazy’ … At least in my humble opinion.

But yes, notwithstanding, these are almost unreal prices … the equivalent in Wicklow town is around 400k (365k for a duplex, not even an semi-d) …

That particular house type was 277,500 last year in Avonmore View. They had a few slightly different 3 bed house types ranging from 270,000 to 285,000 in the previous phase. So around a 19% increase I think. The problem for people is saving any money with the current cost of living. The help to buy scheme is digging a lot of people out but that just causes more new build inflation as well. Some commentators are claiming the market will plateau and slowly cool off but I think it might continue to go up for a while, seems to still be a lot of unmet demand. There might be a different trajectory for the new build help to buy market and the second hand market as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 John E.

Yes, it's a very big annual rise alright, though not so surprising for the new builds given soaring costs of materials and shortages of labour ... impossible to tell which way it will go but those who are predicting a big bust on the model of the 2008-09 crash tend to forget that supply, demand, and regulation of lending are all very different now than back then. That said, if I was 20 years younger, I'd probably decide to sit this out, but I don't have that particular luxury at my age where each passing year means a smaller mortgage for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 690Duke

Phase 2 Avonmore View seems to be all snapped already, even with the price rise from the first phase.

It not surprising really though. It’s a lovely village with easy access to South Dublin. Ideal if you can work from home a couple of days a week.

• Advertisement

And Stewart’s Hall upped their prices from 315 and 320 to 320 and 325… bit opportunistic to send out the prices as a feeler and then adjust based on interest/demand… prefer the usual approach from developers - fixed prices per phase. That kind of approach doesn’t bode well for when house finishes are being finalised etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Has anyone looked into Stewart's Hall? I'm curious about this development, it's slightly cheaper than Avonmore View and only down the road.

Planning permission granted for 130+ houses in knockadosan, Rathdrum. Things are going to get busy there.

It used to be a lovely town. Ah well, at least it has a slide.

Rathdrum is no longer a secret so… hope there’ll be some infrastructural improvements and a few new amenities / shops etc to go with the (for a village this size) huge population expansion. A supermarket bigger than the centra on the outskirts would be a huge improvement for residents to remove the need to drive to Wicklow once a week for the big shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Agree pretty much with this with the exception of “village” 🙂.

long past been a village.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I drove dow on Saturday and was shocked at the size of the main st and general amenities vs what they're building up on Ballinderry road! And now they've been given the go ahead for 130 more houses? Difficult to imagine how that will work without any infrastructure improvements!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yep I moved to the Rathdrum area in 2018 and its amazing how much housing has come onboard in the 4 years since with practically nothing in the way of infrastructure or amenity improvements. Fair enough the new library and primary care centre are in but the main street through the town is not fit for purpose because of all the double parking going on. It's the usual planning idiocy though, build the houses and only then worry about amenities and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

What are the commuting options to Dublin? Just the train at stupid o clock? I don't see any bus options online.

Oakway Homes I think. I don't know if there is a start date yet.

They developed Viewmount just up the road so I would imagine they will use the same agents, REA Brophy Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Having lived here in Rathdrum for 15 years and married to a local I'd have a few observations.

With all the new housing it should force the powers that be to build a new primary school. A large mixed school. Ridiculous that in 2022 its still split into a boys primary and girls primary school.

The main street is a shambles. Awful job trying to get up an down it. It should be made one way especially as the outer ring road is there.

Shopping is limited and expensive.

Big Lack of amenities or infrastructure but hopefully that will have to come with the hundreds of house being built

People are lovely in my experience. Very friendly and a relaxed calm place to live with little(to my knowledge) anti-social behavior.

15 mins from the beach in Brittas Bay

Train link even if only twice a day

A good and active GAA club. There is also soccer,rugby, gymnastics etc.

Avondale house and glendalough on your doorstep.

Not too far from with bigger shopping towns of Wicklownor Arklow.

I'm from the Midlands and to be honest after living here I'd never go back. I really like Rathdrum!

Thanks very much.

Those Viewmount houses are decent though I imagine the new houses will probably cost around 350,000 going by the increase in prices at Avonmore View.

How do people who don't take the train commute to Dublin? Does everyone drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Mostly yes.. or drive to a park and ride for the Luas or Dart

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Charlesmarls

Whats the story with the houses across from Kelly’s garage? Very slow..,prob all sold!

Advertisement