Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

I thought it was owned by the cotton ball chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Have eaten there a couple of times, including today. Food was nice enough I thought - ordered the Chicken Supreme and the coating was delicious. But I 100% agree on the portion sizes, every time I've cleared the plate and left hungry (and I'm normally someone who leaves a fair bit on the plate). They definitely could add a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another great meal in market lane yesterday evening. Food, service, value all top notch as ever. In a league of its own

Not a restaurant but there was a rotisserie chicken trailer parked in Dublin builder providers yesterday that also does a chicken bun or panini.

I got myself a panini and it was delicious, it only set me back €5, seriously good value.

I always thought they only sold the rotisserie chicken, never knew they had other options.

I'd really recommend giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

^^^

You are either in the wrong region or you will have to explain where "Dublin builder providers" is in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent meal, doesn't have to be fine dining, that serves food for both vegetarian and gluten free options. Takeaways or lunches will do too.

I'm done with having to go to Scoozis for a family dinner (kids are teens/young adult). Paid ott prices yesterday, for ok-ish food, all because they do gluten free pasta and garlic bread🙄 the birthday girls choice as she's coeliac and we are very limited as to where we can go.

^^^

Maybe have a look at Market Lane. Won't be any cheaper but probably a whole lot better.

I think increased dining prices had hit the lower end of the market harder than the mid/high end.

Fine dining seems better value than ever compared to what you pay for bog standard fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Dublin builders providers is just off the south ring road as you head towards Forge Hill, just past the turn in to Kearys / An Post etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats cork builders providers dublin providers is on the kinsale road oppopsite smiths/harvey norman etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

As said above it's across from Harvey Norman, well worth visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi folks - anyone tried this place called COO COO Indian (near Captain Americas/Fast Als)? Looks like a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, I heard about that. Still though, I'd risk a curry if it was any good. I'm probably more of a hazard to myself in my own "kitchen". Cork is starved of decent curries. There's a Chinese place too there by the same company.

Has anyone tried their food?

I'm often of the view that somewhere that has been caught out over hygiene issues is far more likely to be compliant and on their best behaviour than somewhere who may not have had an inspection in years! (unless it's a real persistently badly run hole!)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

anyone tried The Jiang Bing Crepes opposite the Roundy? Looked interesting and genuine.

Also which is the best kebab in Cork these days, haven’t had a kebab in almost 10 years now in Cork.

thanks

The Jiang Bing are delicious, well worth trying.

For me, Istanbul is still the best kebab in Cork, if you avoid the night tome rush (quality goes down). Sometimes the doner meat can be a little cold though. But the quality is good compared to other places. I liked Ali Baba on Washington Street when I tried it a few years back, but have not gone there since, so don't rely on that.

On a slightly related note, what are people's opinions of Lavish on Washington Street?

Particularly their curries, and tarka daal? Or even kebabs (but not expecting much for a €8 kebab)?. I wouldn't be interested in the pizza/burgeres etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

My brother was there with an Indian guy recently and he gave them two indian thumbs up. They got some curries there.

• Advertisement

I'm addicted to those Jian Bings. I like the basic and have about one a week. Best handy snack in town for my money. Duck and pork ones are good, too but I like the plain one the best.

I have a liking for Crazy Kebab on Coghburg Street - the chicken donner - I don't care for their lamb donner. They are huge and tasty.

Went back to The 4 Liars to try again yesterday. I went twice around the time that they first opened and thought it was pretty terrible - very bland. I think it is run by different people now and is really good. They've redecorated, too and it's now a much nicer space.

The service was pretty poor to be fair, and they aren't exactly chatty but the staff were pleasant, all the same and it's good value.

Thanks TBR. I found the staff very friendly when I visited a couple of years back, but shared your opinion of the food back then. Hoping to visit again soon to reassess. I would love to support the business, it's a badly needed food option in a city swamped by burgers and pizza. A great addition to the Shandon area too.

Seeing that Wok'n'Roll are opening an outlet at Daunt's Square... I've never tried their food. What opinions do people have on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

up there with Ramen.. only ever had it at festivals - twas grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I was there with a group of 7 two weeks ago, positive comments all round as well. Too bad the BYOB option is gone as I live close by so could easily nip home to resupply everyone.

I believe you can still bring your own booze. We didn't but I did speak to someone yesterday who did.

4 Liars will be closed for the next few weeks for a holiday. Must visit again in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Got an Oakfire yesterday... they've gone absolutely down hill into the gutter. Most disgusting pizza I've had in a while. They used to be good when they started and they actually tasted kind of healthy. It has turned into a greasy mess now. Will email them a photo of the pile of grease and see what they say.

I also went to Four Liars a week or so ago, thought it was yummy. My third time there. This time I got the "BBQ ribs" ... which is actually a lamb rack sliced into chops. Great value, think it was around 17 yoyos. (Have paid €30 + for that before in fancy Cork places.. with a teaspoon of mashed potato and a single asparagus balanced on top. Absolute bolocks.) The meat was cooked to perfection with that nice smoky cooked-over-the-coals flavour. Think you get about 5 or 6 "chops" with the meal. I recommend eating in, don't see how it would survive a ride on a deliveroo bike. You need it fresh off the grill. Very muck savage friendly too, my auld counthry dad would love this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went to Lab82 across from train station for brunch today and picked up a brownie for takeaway - couldn’t fault it - all delicious! Fast and efficient service, the place was buzzing - will be back

Advertisement