Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

it's from 9.05 on.

Not allowed to discuss Trans rights and there would be an uproar if womens or other groups rights were discussed.

Women's rights were discussed during the abortion referendum and gay rights were discussed during the Marriage referendum.

Also discussion on the Article 41.2 of the Constitution, which refers to a woman’s life within the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's is a good point though. If you are so convinced your a man, and you want to live as a man, and socially transition to be outwardly viewed as a man, then what are you doing having a baby? That's not a man thing to do is it. He could still have a genetic baby without having it himself. Like he could have donated his embro? So it seems to me he's (and I've always thought this) it's the outward superficial appearance in society of being a man that's more important to him, than it is that he actually IS a man. It's amazing how quickly he can ditch the idea of what a man is when he want's something else at the same time. Kinda interested in human psychology so shoot me.

You’re interested in psychology, so you’re probably familiar with the idea of cognitive dissonance already. You’re familiar too with how gender dysphoria can manifest itself to varying degrees and the idea of how it can really mess with a person’s perception of themselves and their environment, everything they are learning from society, such as the idea that becoming pregnant is not a man thing to do. It explains why McConnell said they felt like an alien -

McConnell, 32, started taking testosterone at 25 and had “top surgery” to remove breast tissue a year later. He considered a hysterectomy, but never went through with it – partly because he had not ruled out the possibility of having children. In the film, we see how discombobulated McConnell becomes when he stops taking testosterone as he tries to conceive, using a sperm donor, and his body, in effect, goes into reverse. He starts having periods again (“I don’t like the idea that I’ve got tampons in my bag,” he winces); his facial hair gets wispier, his hips broaden, his tummy softens and he starts to speak less from his chest and more from his throat. “Every time I think about it, I think, ‘What the **** am I doing?’” he says. At one point, a tearful McConnell sobs into the camera in the middle of the night: “I feel like a **** alien.”

It’s just not a great point in any case, because why should anyone have to do any of what’s being suggested? Up until recently, mandatory sterilisation was one of the conditions of being able to avail of sex reassignment surgery, in order to prevent people who are transgender from being able to reproduce. The choice was taken away from them, and removing that choice from them was deemed to be a violation of human rights -

https://www.lgbti-era.org/news/no-more-forced-sterilization-trans-people-europe-trans-pathologisation-remains

The issue also came up in regards to whether or not people who are transgender were legally provided for in regards to abortion legislation -

https://gcn.ie/abortion-legislation-trans-men/

The requirement being in place, and then removed, explains the statistical increase in recent years of the numbers of people who are transgender. In simple terms - the idea of mandatory sterilisation put a lot of people off the idea of being open about experiencing gender dysphoria or seeking treatment for it, or availing of surgeries if they wished to do so. The ideas aren’t ditched at all, they’re just suppressed. Some people can manage to suppress their feelings, some people aren’t so successful at being able to suppress their feelings and thoughts and emotions, and it can overwhelm them eventually.

When I talk about gender ideals being snuck in under the gay banner, I'm not talking about all the legal stuff you're on about. No doubt interesting as all that side of it is. I'm taking about, and I'm sure most people are, are alluding to gender identities being taught to children and all that stuff. That has nothing to do with legal rights. In fact, now that it occurs to me, I can't believe I'm never made that point before. Is it a trans right that schools should teach kids about trans people? No I don't think so. That's a social issue.

I know you’re not, but that’s the sort of thing that should have been part of the discussion on RTE IMO, rather than every discussion always being reduced to a bickering match or snappy quips and ‘hot takes’ in the hope of going viral on Twitter. Gender identities and all that stuff being taught to children in schools though has everything to do with legal rights, but to answer your question - schools, in Ireland at least, currently, maintain the legal right to determine their own curriculum with regard to education on social issues in accordance with the Patronage of the school.

There have been attempts to introduce legislation that would mandate children be educated in accordance with certain political beliefs in all schools which are in receipt of public funding, regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school, but those attempts haven’t amounted to much tbh -

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2021-11-16/10/

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2018/34/

That being said, at the same time - children DO have a legal right to an education which is suitable for their needs, which is not really an issue if the school is supportive of the needs of children who are transgender. Some schools are more supportive than others, and in some schools there is no support at all for children who are transgender. It’s the opposite effect -

https://gcn.ie/new-limerick-secondary-school-gender-neutral-toilets/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/uniforms-toilets-pronouns-are-schools-doing-enough-to-support-trans-students-1.4807449

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1084291/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40037663.html

These are some of the issues which could have been discussed by our publicly funded national broadcaster, if they were actually serious about having a discussion on the numerous issues involved. Instead they appear to be only interested in generating revenue from advertising by increasing their listenership with sensationalist, tabloid media style BS “debate”, as opposed to demonstrating any real interest in any discussion.

A trans man is a biological female, hence the ability to give birth. Of course the law shouldn't register a biological female as a "father".

That is absurd. It's asking the law to ignore biological reality, and that is not the basis for any human right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yes on the screening page it says women.

"Women and people with a cervix between the age of 25 and 65 should go for regular cervical screening when it’s due"

• Advertisement

Women and people with a cervix between the age of 25 and 65 should go for regular cervical screening when it’s due.

This makes things even more confusing, in the sense that I thought trans women saw themselves as women and not "people with a cervix"?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I guess "people with a cervix" covers Trans Men?

Without actually saying it out loud. Or something. I dunno

From what I can tell, the definitions shift often depending on who you're talking to. It's a lot like the gender fluid themselves. Nothing, including the language they want used stays the same for an extended period. And then there's the difference in perspective of what is what.. There's no centralist acceptance within the Trans community that A=B and C=D. Instead, everyone is encouraged to have their own idea on everything.

It's utterly bizarre that the Trans topic gets as much support as it does from State and other organisations. The support within the medical community is the worst though. How can people who were trained to be exact, have so much interest in supporting that which defies being specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ha i get you yeah! I guess the main thing is it is covering the groups of people who should go anyway. And retains the word women. So everyone is happy!

• Advertisement

It's utterly bizarre that the Trans topic gets as much support as it does from State and other organisations.

This, exactly.

I can't find any raw data on the percentage of people who identify as transgender in Ireland. But if 2-3% identify as LGB, then perhaps 10% of this, maybe 0.2-0.3% are transgender. Some polls in the US, when surveying LGBT people, had the percentage of transgender as 12% of the total polled. So, I think my 10% approximation is fair.

That means 2,600,000 women in Ireland are having their identity and language torn up to appease 10,400 people - the majority of whom are biological males.

And people wonder why we phrase this as misogynistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Philip Boucher Hayes covered the topic in Playback earlier.

A lot of the research or analysis on Trans populations use different definitions as to what constitutes a Trans person. The numbers are inflated because if a teenager claims they're confused over their gender (which many do while being a teen), then, they would be included as Trans.. TBH I often wonder if perhaps the Q population is included with the T.. or if they're kept separate.

There is an agenda at play to blow up the numbers of Trans people in any country.. again, it's a bizarre stance to take because the numbers are still very small compared to the majority. Even with all the efforts to increase the numbers. And yet, it's one of the biggest topic in Western societies, and yadda yadda yadda.

For sure, and even if my figures above were 5x wrong, it would still be an outrageous state of affairs and, what's worse, to have a tiny minority within that minority, the activists - backed by Dublin Pride - saying we cannot discuss nor debate these issues that impact 2.6 million women.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

The Indo hopping on the bandwagon with this. Behind a paywall but the headline says it all. I haven't read the article, I'm not going to pay to be insulted. The gist of it looks to be another dismiss any biological woman who won't drink the Koolaid as a lying crank radical trans hating feminist and wave the flag.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/ignore-the-false-feminist-fears-and-take-pride-in-our-trans-rights-success-41764915.html

and that is not the basis for any human right.

It is though, it’s the basis for quite a few of them, such as freedom of thought and freedom of religion and so on, notwithstanding the fact that human rights themselves, are based upon recognition of the inherent dignity of every person. What you call “biological reality”, isn’t what human rights are based upon.

The law already “ignores biological reality” in recognition of a person’s right to freedom from discrimination on the basis of their gender and recognition in law of a person’s right to their gender identity. If a person is already recognised in law as male, then from that they should be recognised as a father if they become a father, and they should be entitled to the same rights in law which are afforded to fathers, in recognition of the relationship they have with their children as a family in accordance with Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights -

https://www.echr.coe.int/documents/guide_art_8_eng.pdf

If you are suggesting legal father, I can accept that - I think it's unavoidable actually. In the same way as fathers in the case of adoption. In this case, there is no real biological contradiction.

Am I right to assume that you are not suggesting that a biological female (trans man) who gives birth should then be stated as the child's biological father?

Because the above are two very different things.

Nah, you’d be wrong to assume that, because it would be ignoring the reality, or the fact, if you like, that the child has a biological relationship with the man who is their father.

If you are arguing in favour of the position that a trans man (biological female) who gives birth is the child's biological father, then that's actually a new one on me.

So presumably that means this child has two biological fathers, yes? Motherless, too? A child conceived without a mother?

Just when I thought that logic and evidence couldn't sink any further, this is the kind of thing that pops up.

Arguing that the above should be considered a human right is about as logical as arguing that education textbooks should be asked to teach the flat Earth theory in secondary school as geological fact. I'm sure we could find some lawyers out there who can make the case for this being a human right to hear "the facts".

I've never heard so much total rubbish in my entire life.

So presumably that means this child has two biological fathers, yes?

Yes, it’s no different than the reality that a child can have two biological mothers - the genetic mother, and the mother who gives birth. These kinds of issues have always existed and been discussed in fields like bioethics, medicine and assisted human reproduction. They became a reality when Louise Brown was born -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Brown

• Advertisement

Nah, that's just sleight of hand.

I'm sorry, but this is misleading. In the case of the biological mother(s), you at least have an actual mother conceiving the child.

You are asking us to accept that a biological female who conceives the child is actually the biological father. Not the legal father, the biological father.

Only those committed to a dogmatic cause could possibly believe something as ridiculous as that.

In fact, I think it's the worst and most absurd thing I have ever heard regarding the trans- question.

And activists don't want us to even debate this kind of thing?

I can see why, because it's absolute utter tosh.

You are asking us to accept that…

Stall on there eskimo, I’m not asking you to accept anything. I don’t care whether you do or you don’t, or what you do or don’t accept. My only interest is in the State recognising that everyone is entitled to be regarded as equal before the law. Whatever any individual thinks or feels about anything is entirely their own business. In the same way as you have the right to freedom of belief and freedom of expression, so does everyone else, and nobody has the right to compel anyone else to agree with them or accept anything.

Essentially - you’re free to believe whatever you like, so is everyone else.

By installing this kind of legislation into the statute books, it necessarily compels everyone to accept…

It doesn’t though. What it does do, is compel the State to recognise that all people are equally entitled to the protection of law.

The rest of it is just grandstanding, doesn’t actually add anything to your point. The whole purpose of the proposed legislation is to recognise that people who are transgender, are entitled to equal protection in Irish law in terms of maternity leave in employment.

Irish Law is the context in which the argument is being framed, as opposed to your philosophical considerations and your feelings based upon what you call “biological reality”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah now - this isn't another men vs women thing...

this is a very small and particular subset of men but also a not so insignificant cohort of loud women who also stand for this sh!t... It wasn't exclusively trans men that rounded up on the likes of JK Rowling.

Only you said this:

Essentially - you’re free to believe whatever you like, so is everyone else.

That sounds great and all, except that you want your belief, and the consequences of it, on the statute books.

My belief already exists on the statute books eskimo, as do the consequences of it, which is how we’re able to have this discussion, as opposed to the idea that anyone is compelled to discuss anything with you on your terms, before it is installed on the statute books in Irish law.

Well, no matter what gets on those books, the reality is that biological fathers cannot give birth to their own child.

No matter what legal slabs of impenetrable text come up, nothing can change that unfalsifiable fact.

And yes, it's the equivalent of asking us to believe that the moon is made from cheese.

I have no doubt you’re aware at this stage of the bitter irony in the idea of your stating your opinions as though they are facts, and expecting anyone else should just have to accept them.

Were that the ever the case, David Norris would never have had a hope of winning his case against Ireland, with the effect in Irish law being the decriminalisation of homosexuality. What was once promoted as an objective reality by some people which they argued could not be changed, was demonstrated to be based upon a lie -

Norris v. Ireland was a case decided by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in 1988, in which David Norrissuccessfully charged that Ireland's criminalisation of certain homosexual acts between consenting adult men was in breach of Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (right to respect for private and family life).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_v._Ireland

The original appeal in the Irish Courts was rejected on the basis that:

On the ground of the Christian nature of our State and on the grounds that the deliberate practice of homosexuality is morally wrong, that it is damaging to the health both of individuals and the public and, finally, that it is potentially harmful to the institution of marriage, I can find no inconsistency with the Constitution in the laws which make such conduct criminal. It follows, in my view, that no right of privacy, as claimed by the plaintiff, can prevail against the operation of such criminal sanctions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norris_v._Attorney_General

It’s a good thing for Irish society, that nobody can be compelled to accept other people’s beliefs as facts which can be used to deprive them of the same rights, freedoms and liberties, to which they are entitled, as a human being. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be having this conversation now.

If you have any evidence that biological fathers can give birth to their own children, I'd be more than happy to review it.

Until then, the theory is bunkum.

• Advertisement

Ahh, you’re putting the cart before the seahorse there… horse 😂

Nobody is a biological father, until such a time as they become a biological father, through the biological process known as reproduction -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproduction

Advertisement