Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’ll be running back to RTE in good time.

this is them having a flounce because in a democracy, they didn’t like people expressing views in public not consistent with their own narrative and beliefs.

childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Is the whole pride thing after jumping the shark at this stage anyway, a campy corporate pink washing campaign. Replace it with a German techo festival.

🙈🙉🙊

You've argued that some biological females who give birth to their children are in fact the biological father of those children.

You haven't produced an ounce of evidence to back this claim up.

And yet you want the statute books to be based on this kind of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,929 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You haven't produced an ounce of evidence to back this claim up.

I have, and there’s plenty of evidence exists to support the view that within the context of Irish law, people who identify as male are becoming pregnant and giving birth, and the logical extension of that reality is that they can only be regarded as the biological fathers of their own children. These people are entitled to the same protection from discrimination in Irish law as everyone else, and that’s what the proposed legislation aims to do. It’s introduction into Irish law doesn’t require your consent.

The statute books are already based upon this line of thinking, meaning that you’re not being prevented from discussing whatever you want to discuss. The real issue for you is that you don’t have the authority to compel anyone to live their lives in accordance with your perception of reality.

No, there you go again with the sleight of hand.

within the context of Irish law...

I'm not referring to Irish law, nor what's considered legal.

What I'm saying is that, from a biological perspective, you have argued that some biological females are in fact the biological fathers of their children (with the concomitant implication that some of these children may have been conceived motherless).

Within the context of legal frameworks, of course you can make your case! Lawyers are adept at trying to persuade us that falsehoods are facts. They've made an artform out of this.

But in the biological realm, in the world of reality, your claim does not stand up to scrutiny (and that's putting it mildly). The fact you need to defer to "within the context of Irish law" demonstrates to me that you may not even believe the claim yourself, but that you're framing it within the context of Irish law to justify the claim.

What's legal isn't always what's right, and vice versa. In fact, by appealing to the law, you are engaging in one of the most basic logical fallacies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've found it wise to never get into back and forths with certain posters on here as it's completly pointless and often frustrating. You could converse with them for a hundred years and they'd never budge an inch.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Yes. Always note the overuse of "the reality" in the T community language. This incessant incantation is required as it is so obviously NOT the reality observed by 99.99999999999% of the population. Actually I think I may have missed a '9' in there!

"Their truth" and not "the truth" is another one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I'm not referring to Irish law, nor what's considered legal.

I’m well aware you’re not referring to Irish law or what’s considered legal 😂

You’re trying to apply your own standards as if they are universally accepted, when clearly, they are not. That’s why it is only what is recognised in law that matters, because it’s the law which determines anyones rights within the context of science, medicine, education and even the parameters and limitations of discussions in the public domain.

That’s the reality you appear to be unwilling to accept, or rather determined to ignore. It doesn’t matter what my personal beliefs are, I’m not atheist either for example, but that doesn’t mean that anyone who is atheist isn’t entitled to protection from unlawful discrimination. Your whole “biological reality” construct is meaningless, because it’s predicated solely upon your own perception and your determination of prescribed language, with the idea that everyone in society must adhere to your standards. It doesn’t appear to take any account whatsoever of the concept in philosophy known as metaphysical reality -

Metaphysical - Longer definition: Metaphysics is a type of philosophy or study that uses broad concepts to help define reality and our understanding of it. Metaphysical studies generally seek to explain inherent or universal elements of reality which are not easily discovered or experienced in our everyday life. As such, it is concerned with explaining the features of reality that exist beyond the physical world and our immediate senses. Metaphysics, therefore, uses logic based on the meaning of human terms, rather than on a logic tied to human sense perception of the objective world. Metaphysics might include the study of the nature of the human mind, the definition and meaning of existence, or the nature of space, time, and/or causality.

https://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/metaph-body.html

It’s this reality where the concept of gender comes from. It’s not a physical phenomenon. It’s part of overlapping fields of study in the life sciences known as psychobiology, or behavioural neuroscience -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_neuroscience

It’s not a fallacy btw to point out the fact that precedent exists in Irish law as the basis for support of an argument. Common Law which is the basis of law in Ireland, is based upon existing precedent -

The Irish legal system is a common law system and this means that Judge-made law is an important source of law. Under the doctrine of precedent, or stare decisis, a court is bound to follow decisions in former cases, particularly decisions of higher courts. However, this is a policy and not a binding unalterable rule. This body of law includes rules, general principles, canons of construction and maxims. The doctrine of stare decisis draws a distinction between ratio decidendi, the binding part of a decision which must be followed, and obiter dictum, observations made by a judge in a case on issues which were present, or not material, in the case, or which arose in such a manner as not to require a decision. The obiter dictum is not binding in future cases but may be persuasive.

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_member_state_law-6-ie-en.do?member=1

The precedent exists because your attempt to argue what you call “biological reality” in Irish law at the time, was found to be insufficient reasoning for the continuing failure of the State to adequately address the issues which arose out of the original case -

Judgment was reserved for nearly two years until 9 July 2002 when Mr Justice Liam McKechnie rejected Lydia Foy's challenge, stating that Foy had been born male based on medical and scientific evidence and that accordingly the registration could not be changed. He did express concern about the position of transsexuals in Ireland, however, and called on the government to urgently review the matter.

On 19 October 2007, the court found Ireland in violation of the European Convention on Human Rights, and decided to issue the first declaration of incompatibility between Irish and European law. According to Justice Liam McKechnie, provisions of Article 8 of the Convention protecting Foy's right to respect for private life had been violated when the State failed "to provide for 'meaningful recognition' of her female identity". He also expressed frustration at the Irish government's failure to take any steps to improve the position of transsexuals following his previous judgment in 2002.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Foy

If you want an argument from a biological perspective, that’s even easier - parents whose offspring are conceived by means of the biological process known as reproduction, are the biological parents of those offspring. It doesn’t matter what anyone refers to them as, whether it’s mother, father, or in my own case my offspring who refers to me as “big diddies”. Cheeky little shìt gets no response until he refers to me in the way I prefer to be referred to as his father.

I expect the same is true of anyone, that it’s just basic manners to refer to anyone how they prefer to be referred to, without the need to pretend that this is an unreasonable expectation or unjustifiable imposition on anyone or a violation of anyone’s fundamental rights that they can’t refer to people however they like. It’s an understandable oversight allowed for when people are children, but as adults, people are generally expected to know better, unless they are cognitively impaired in some way which would explain their inability to understand that other people are entitled to the same dignity and respect that they feel they are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

It’s this reality where the concept of gender comes from. It’s not a physical phenomenon. -One Eyed Jack

How can you actually type that among all that copy/paste waffle with a straight face? Do you genuinely believe it's a concept and not physically and definitively proven to you when you look in the mirror naked?

• Advertisement

I reflexively stopped reading that tombstone of text the second the term "metaphysical reality" came up.

Let's be clear for a second: we are talking about whether men can give birth.

Not the mind-body problem, not the interaction of quantum theory with matter, not the hard problem of consciousness.

But the simple question of whether men can give birth.

So I'll politely withdraw my labour of writing responses and allow others, if they so choose, to discuss with you the metaphysical reality of how men give birth.

(And to anyone who may not know what metaphysical refers to. It's a word dreamt up by philosophers to justify their own obfuscation and generally irrelevant and unprovable waffle).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Yeah, the 'Lived Experience' of people who are telling lies, but not lies cause it's their 'truth'.

Since the 15th century they've meant the same thing.

It’s not a question any more though, according to men themselves, they are giving birth. You don’t agree with them. I don’t care either way.

The only thing I do care about, and you can’t accuse me of being unclear on this, is that the law recognises this reality, which it doesn’t currently recognise. You asked for an example of where people who are transgender are denied human rights, and there you have it - in terms of employment law and maternity leave, they are not even recognised in Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Good to see a bit of common sense prevailed rte wont be dragged up infront of the committee now,

I know.

It was the basis of the Gender Recognition Act in 2015 -

18. (1) Where a gender recognition certificate is issued to a person the person’s gender shall from the date of that issue become for all purposes the preferred gender so that if the preferred gender is the male gender the person’s sex becomes that of a man, and if it is the female gender the person’s sex becomes that of a woman.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/section/18/enacted/en/html#sec18

A small but significant precedent.

If this kind of retribution went ahead, I believe it would have caused a chilling effect - where elements of the media would have been terrified to approach this subject for fear of reprisal.

Just because you say something doesn't make it true, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Which is exactly what this group in our of society are trying to achieve… they’ll lap up the applause, support and any acts that enable them… but anything questioning of their actions, beliefs or ideology..toys out of pram. Found out big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

"[...] you can’t accuse me of being unclear on this, is that the law recognises this reality, which it doesn’t currently recognise."

What a sentence! I think you'll find we can accuse you of being very unclear indeed ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Doesn't read as straight forward as that to me, I'm just going off the examiner article.

"The Irish Examiner understands that a renewed invite may be sent by the Oireachtas Media Committee to invite RTÉ staff in to discuss the organisation's overall strategy after RTÉ told members that a formal statutory complaints procedure is being undertaken in relation to the programmes.

It is understood that in its response, RTÉ has told politicians that it will engage with Dublin Pride directly, something some committee members say is preferable to a committee appearance."

You presented what I actually said out of context in order to accuse me of being unclear though! I mean, come on like 😂

You snipped out the important part - I was speaking in the context of the only thing I care about which is that the law recognises the reality that according to themselves, men are giving birth -

It’s not a question any more though, according to men themselves, they are giving birth. You don’t agree with them. I don’t care either way.

The only thing I do care about, and you can’t accuse me of being unclear on this, is that the law recognises this reality, which it doesn’t currently recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it is at that level already. Nobody is going to cover this issue now. It won't be on RTE and if they do, it will be pure eggshell stuff.

Almost as if the radical trans activists are promoting "alternative facts".

I wonder do they accept that wholly.

Yeah, awful shame they might have to be held to the standard of taking responsibility for what they publish or broadcast instead of imagining they should have to take no responsibility whatsoever for pumping out the usual drivel that they know drives audience engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Denny61

Ye all having much to do to regurgitate this shite .go out and get fresh air or play sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I think most of them are nearing 50+ and have no kids or anything so plenty of time and it's their right to regurgitate whatever they want. You don't have to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It couldn't be allowed to happen. The optics of the government hauling the State public broadcasting company before an Oireachtas Committee hearing to justify allowing debate on something would have been awful. It's astonishing that it was ever even suggested. This whole mess has been an eyeopener for many and I think a huge amount of support for trans issues and possibly even for LGB issues has been lost. People who wouldn't normally have even given this stuff a second thought in the past looked at PRIDE leading the charge to ban any kind of discussion on the issue and TENI calling for women to be harassed, terrorised and smashed out of existence. This has been a huge mistake for PRIDE. I don't think they'll ever have any credibility after this.

• Advertisement

Your obsession with old men is bordering on being comical at this stage 🤣

Advertisement