Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

When you are flying regularly it becomes like second nature and you get it down to a fine art.

Problem is you are only one in the middle of a lot of messers.

To be fair a lot of them are only off for the holidays once or twice a year and are just keen to get to that beach so they haven't given a lot of thought to the actual airport/flight.

Agree with a bit more information while in the queue, couldn't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I travel quite a bit and even though the people in front sometimes the security belt dictates everything, there is the odd person who forgets something but not the norm in my experience as there are advisors telling what needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The DAA are not responsible for aircraft pushbacks. The contracted ground handling agent is…

ramp jobs require months training per employee. Unfortunately I’m guessing the handling agent didnt predict the surge… which knowing the way a couple of them are run from the top, no surprise in the slightest ..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

What time would I need to be arriving Monday evening for a 19.50 flight out with Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

Is that not an airline or handling agent issue? Nothing to do with the DAA, they don’t provide ground crew and tow bars. But still crazy and beyond frustrating that it meant a 3hr delay. What airline was that?

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of guessing going on, i think the buck stops with DAA on this one as i expect they choose the agent, if not who does or can they come and go as they please.

The airline would choose the handling agent, not the DAA. The buck stops with the agent. But margins are razor thin because airlines insist on lower costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been through airport security 50-60 times, I think I have only set the alarm off once (that wasnt the random search).

Some of the shite I have seen in security queues is unreal. Women who do absolutely no research whatsoever or don't seem to think the rules apply to them specifically, just coz. I see a make up artist trying to bring her entire suitcase full of kit on through security before. Or people with massive bottles of water in their bags. And yes, it is usually women.

You have elderly people acting the maggot too. Especially at the boarding pass gate. Holding up the queues to make sure Mary didn't get decapitated by the gates or arrested by security. Just scan your code and walk through.

Also at the luggage check in with bags, there's usually somebody giving out because she didn't read the rules. 20-30 kilo suitcases when they only paid for 10kilos.

We need a male only terminal.

Airline wouldn’t choose the agent, surely. This was icelandair. Hardly going to have their own team at Dublin airport for the one flight a day. Issue was a tow bar for a 757 and no one available at Dublin airport to go get if and then push the plane back. 3 hours! Maybe it’s Dublin airport then, not the DAA. But a shambles nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I had the lady in front of me bring her phone through the metal detectors the last time I went through security. She was not a happy camper having to go back and pop it in a tray to go through. You can tell by the way folks are acting who’s gona be hassle going through and who to avoid

• Advertisement

You’re right, most airlines don’t have their own teams for ground handling, particularly at outstations, so they use agents like Swissport etc. Icelandair use SkyHandlingPartner. It’s their responsibility to provide the tow bars and other equipment., not the DAA or Dublin airport. As much of a shambles as it was ( waiting that long for a tow at is just madness) it was nothing to do with the DAA. SHP have to own that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I went through the Airport recently for a trip. It was mad busy but thought the queues for security moved fairly quickly.

The security staff seemed to be mostly quite young and inexperienced which wasn't nessecarily a bad thing as I thought they were nicer and more helpful than the previous staff whom it seemed were on a bit of a power trip and liked to bark orders at passengers. Also I was stopped by a member of security staff walking towards towards the gates who performed a random search. Never seen this before beyond security at any airport I've been in. What's the purpose of these additional searches is security not enough?

Unfortunately the airport seemed very dirty especially the toilets which were filthy and some didn't even have toilet as I had the misfortune of finding I didn't see too many cleaners about.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

This is one for our 2 Ministers of transport who apart from one day in the last 6 months is going on have being missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I wish people would stop embellishing their posts with "what about the children" "think of the tourists" "what about the vulnerable" or as in above post "the Americans said they'd never come back"

BULLSH1T absolute and utter BULLSH1T

Why? - because Americans are used to overbooked flights, being bumped off flights and plenty of chaos in their airports for decades. On top of that, weather and staff absenteeism is currently causing 10,000+ US flights to be cancelled in the past week and it is near certain that US issues were the primary cause of the above flight.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2022/06/17/logan-airport-passengers-barraged-by-delays-cancellations/

NYC was equally affected as was Miami & Chicago.

But americans saying they won't visit due to a couple of hours flight delay - pull the other one.

Dublin Airport is an International embarrisment and 3 other Airports doing very little business. Our transport Ministers need to sort this out. It was caused by bad managment and thats the facts of DA.

What goes on in America nothing to do with this.

The airline chooses the handling agent of their choice. What would the DAA have so do with it ?

So you seem to know what happened tell the customers, the DAA should clarify if they are in charge of the running of the Airport, it may be it has been clarified and i missed it only what is said here. People seem to go missing, Ministers Management need to explain whats going on. I read here that the pilot had to contact the arrive airport to get info. how can that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The pilot apparently told the passengers that there wasn’t handlers to push the plane back, handlers contracted to the airline, not Dublin Airport. DAA are in charge of the airport, not the handlers used by airlines.

What acctually happened, apparently the pilot not accecptable explaination? DAA must know what happened. Apparently Dublin Airport a joke

If you are referring to the the issue with a delay caused by the handling agent not pushing the plane back, the pilot is the conduit between the people responsible for the handling agent ie the airline, and the customers on the plane who need an explanation. DAA are not in that loop, so why you are blaming DAA for either the delay, or the lack of clarity/explanation, is a mystery.

• Advertisement

Tell the customers ? No, I’m not being employed or paid to, but thanks for the job offer.

I am not blaming anyone just asking, if not the DAA who responcibility is it. Surelu Airport should say who or do they not know.

You were defending what happened so i thought you had the info.

If the airline employ the handlers, then the buck stops with them I would have thought.

Informing, as to what was incorrect in your post… so that to you suggests I ought to be informing customers ? Some leap there. You are being less then rational as relates to this discussion im afraid.

The simple fact is there was a plane sitting on the tarmac at Dublin Airport and no-one knows why, some set-up.

Woody22 posted the reason why, the pilot told the passengers it was because there was no ground crew to push the plane back. Handlers are employed by the Airline, not DAA, they are private contractors.

Swissport provide ramp handling for Icelandair apparently.

https://www.icelandaircargo.com/network/gsa-gha/europe/detail/item443716/

https://www.swissport.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

You don't seem to be understanding it, or you are choosing not to understand it.

At Dublin Airport if you are on an Aer Lingus flight then the ground crew are Aer Lingus employees, if you are on a Ryanair flight then the ground crew are Ryanair employees. IcelandAir only have one arrival and one departure per day so it would not be economical for them to have their own employees, their own steps, their own luggage carts, their own tugs and so on. Instead they contract a ground handling group who does all of that for them. IcelandAirs ground handling agent at Dublin Airport is a company called "Sky Handling Partner". What that means is that it is not an employee of the DAA, or Dublin Airport, or IcelandAir who is checking you in, or scanning your ticket at the gate, or putting your bag from the cart into the aircraft, or moving the steps into position to let people get on and off the aircraft. It is someone who is getting paid by Sky Handling Partner.

Its the first time i was made aware of that thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭FantasyFool

Im sure its been mentioned before but the toilets in arrivals are absolutely disgusting. Urinals full to the brim, bins overloaded with all sorts, toilets mostly without seats and some after complete Arse-mageddon. Horrible horrible place!

Advertisement