Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea, just home, it was interesting.

Very environment and climate change based which lost me.

Take home message was ''the only way that wormer resistance spreads farm to farm is in the belly of the sheep'' stressing the importance of double dosing (with zolvix plus one other wormer) bought in sheep. 60% of sheep flocks now are getting poor results from ivermectins dosing.

Good magement practises reduces greenhous gases, carbon emissions, it's not rocket science.

Philip Creghton admitted that oversowing clover was diffcult, only successful way to get cover into swards was reseeding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya it sure was very environmentally based. I was talking to the girl at the stand where they showed the faecal egg sampling. She said not one test they did in teagasc Athenry last year showed a 95% reduction in egg counts after dosing. That was worrying.

I mentioned to her that I often asked the vets for zolvic (maybe spelt wrong, it’s one of the prescription only doeses), but they never seemed to have it or heard of it. She said vets need to come on board with the research as it’s pointless them doing it otherwise.

Teagasc seem to be preparing for alternatives to high fertiliser prices for the long term.

had a chat with the two better farmers, they very interesting and open.

no trade stands like other years which was a pity maybe.

Zolvix will be no addition either, farmers will abuse it and we'll be back to zolvix being useless as well. That's why the clued in vets are slow to let it out.

We're still getting 100% kill here with yellow and clear doses.

The frightening thing is you'll never get it off the farm and once you have it it'll keep getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

Hi wrangler, can you expand on the dosing routine for buying in sheep please

Dose with zolvix and one other dose, don't get that, have used zolvix in the past but didn't realise that you should double dose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭jfh

Regards weaning lambs, mine are march born, few April, should they be weaned now or would it set them back a bit, ewes going through all my aftergrass, some lambs ready to go, but few light ones too

• Advertisement

Today they said 1) zolvix with a yellow or clear wormer or

2) a purple wormer with a yellow wormer.

and leave them in for 48hrs.

We've done the frst treatment for years now and have very lttle resistance to the yellow and clear doses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

got great results from yellow drench this year, , most lambs only dosed once .

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Can anyone on here recommend someone breeding Texel rams off grass and not one pumped with meal?

A lengthy kind of one with a small head... Seems hard to come by. I'd rather buy from a farm as well and see sheep in their working clothes. Any help appreciated👍

I find william hutchinson the best for maternal type texels, he also does his best to keep out texel throat. We always got a good long life outa his rams

I know he culled all his texel hogget rams one year when he discovered that line was prone to it.

He's in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Alex Clarke in Navan usually has some nice Texel rams.

• Advertisement

He's breeding from rams that have the texel throat gene so be careful, the breedng that causes it are used in a lot of flocks, aneighbour lost three rams out of three, don't know where he bought them and a friend lost two out of two, which incidentally were both alexs' rams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Showered my hogget ewes... worries over now for a while (if rain comes maggots sure to follow).

Thanks wrangler, I'll look into that.

Want to try and get one bought early and try and have a good pick. Lost a Texel here a few years back to that Texel throat, ya could hear him before ya saw him towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Tileman

Talks of a big price cut for lamb price at weekend. Surprised though as I was dropping lambs in one evening during week and lairage was very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Would people top fields in wet weather. I've a field could do with topping and a neighbour has a couple of fields he wants done

Personally the wet weather couldn’t stop me topping. Only downside is your gear will be filthy afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Thanks faraway

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭rule supreme

I seen an ad for live weighing of ram lambs in Tullow mart on Wednesday, anyone know what price they are paying .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Sami23

Have a batch of lambs 45kg.

Not sure whether to bring to the mart this week or hold off a while in the hope that price will come back up and also they will be heavier in another few weeks.

Opinions please ?

400eggs/g of Trichostongyle showing in lamb faecal samples. Any recomendations on a suitable dose I could use? No other eggs detected. Thanks.

• Advertisement

It's probably better to use a yellow or clear dose, the white doses are practically useless on most farms now for Trichstongyles.

Yellow and clear doses are failing on a lot of farms too so it'd be a good idea to test again after dosing to see if it's done the job.

Test a week afterdosing with a yellow dose or test a fortnight after dosing with the clear dose

Did you do a course or something on how to do the fec? I saw the stand in Athenry the last day and they said they use special liquid. Sounded like a fine art kind of process!

OH does it, gerry scully had a farm walk here years ago and he was warning about wormer resistance then, OH got interested and gerry got the slides and beakers for her and there was a really old microscope where she worked and she thought herself how to do it, At the time the kit to buy was £1200. She's done loads for local farmers, she doesn't charge anything and any money that's given used to go to bothar !!!!!!!!

No sheep has come in here since without being quarantine dosed, only for that I'd say we'd be out of sheep especially at our stocking rate but the yellow and clear dose are working 100% still on our farm.

Loads of youtube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vELgijcad4

OH stands in the field and waits for the lambs to shite and then takes a marble sized bit from each shite, important to get as many samples as you can, maybe up to ten

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Mid March born lambs dosed with Albex 3weeks ago. No sign of any scour. Giving cobalt tomorrow, would it be worth dosing lambs again

We tested for a neighbour this week that used a white drench same as albex two weeks ago. dose obviously didn't work yet he said they were thriving,

They're on meal since they were born yet they're not fit to kill, I'm killing same age lambs now and they got no meal.

No one can advise you whether to dose or not without a test

Assuming there's a clear test after two weeks, how long after this before you test again?

we retest after 4 weeks . we dose when the FEC reaches 500

Gerry scully used to do farm walks here and father always reckoned he was a great sheep man. He was well ahead of his time when he was warning about wormer resistance back then.

Resistance has been around a long time, years ago there was talk of NZ using combination doses, yellow and clear together, which if abused meant you got double resistance quicker, Adult sheep get resistance to worms, it's difficult to believe that scientists can't get somethig for lambs to help them achieve immunity

https://www.cotteragritech.com/smartweight

Have you seen these guys anywhere yet, they have an algorithm that'll tell you whether to dose lambs as they're going through the scales based on liveweight gain, weather, grass growth,

Sounds impossible, but we've seen llambs here with good liveweight gains despite high worm counts at times.

• Advertisement

I suppose in hindsight it stand to reason that combination wormers were a bad job but hindsight is a great thing. I never dose the ewes here for worms but a lot of people seem to do it thinking its doing good.

I hadn't seen that, I persume they were at athenry? Had hoped to get down but dndnt make it. I suppose if you could select replacement ewe lambs with a high tolerence to worms that would be the way to go?

Advertisement