Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

So prior to war starting there were circa 45 million in Ukraine 90% ethnic Ukrainians so say 40m Ukrainians…current estimate is that 4/5m have left… so putin has only to annihilate approx 35m to fully ethnically cleanse the country which is 3/4 times what hitler ‘achieved’.

The Kazakhstan stuff is curiouser and curiouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

They know they're next on putins Hitler to make Russia great again. They can't support the situation in Ukraine and then cry foul when it happens to them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It'd be interesting to know @Das Reich 's thoughts on this.

As a fellow Brazilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Looks like someone has been posting about Adolf too much if your autocorrect is replacing "hitlist" with "Hitler"! 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

And then suddenly Turkey is in EU. Will you be happy to pay more VAT on petrol to fund this junior b league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would not be surprised if they did the same thing in our territorial waters without us ever knowing! and what about all those Russian subs, God alone only know what they get up to.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

Denmark should have done a Turkey on it.

Erdogan called Putin's bluff in 2015 and didn't get nuked unless I missed it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Does auto translate work on that site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am thinking here but would the US and the Brits be helping Dublin with keeping an eye on all those Russian spies. Up to 40 of them, and maybe a few more according to the report. Ireland really needs a National Security agency. I know the Guards and the Army unit do a good job but are they resourced to do a full job?

Quote from story “They have their own jobs and are sympathetic to Moscow and pass on whatever information they get"

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What access to sensitive info do they have in all fairness? The issues is if they are involved in politics I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Easy as befriending a loose-lipped senior civil servant or political aide.

That's their job. And as the Trinity gent revealed, they may not even be presenting as Russian nationals. In fact they're far more likely to be posing as a benign EU national etc.

As another poster suggested, we badly need a civilian intelligence agency dedicated to rooting out and briefing on political and economic espionage in the country.

It's likely far more widespread than we want to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Up to 40 of them, and maybe a few more according to the report.

I don't doubt it with them and a fair few in Europe variously pretending to be natives of whatever country their in, getting a toehold in areas of interest and or ever so innocently promoting the motherland and Putin on social media and elsewhere. A watchful eye on social media by Europol etc could yield a lot of interesting results imo

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

GCHQ/NCA will have pulled out after Brexit, leaving us in a very bad spot but there will be no wholly-Irish agency stepping in to fill the gap. We simply don't have the resources or personnel available.

Disagree that we don't have the personnel available. New Zealand (a country with the same population as us and a smaller economy) have a modestly sized intelligence agency of about 300 people. If we had 50 people between AGS and the military working on these matters at the moment I'd be surprised.

Bring the current expertise over to the dedicated new agency on secondment to manage it at a senior level and start hiring linguists, cyber-defence talent etc.

Dublin is like an even lighter-touch Vienna with the added benefits of the CTA with Britain and lovely Irish passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I'd say the bigger problem is that there's still no awareness amongst political circles about the volatility of the current world situation and the precariousness of Ireland's position. To say nothing of the ignorance and intransigence of the general population. I'd say that, combined with a dysfunctional political system that rewards short-term vote getting over long-term plans, is the main block to ANY major changes in Ireland's security policy.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Agreed. An intelligence agency that is dedicated to detecting live threats and pre-empts and briefs on medium and long term economic and political security would go a long way to resolving our current stupor on this front. There's also the problem that we're a dedicated member of the EU but we don't pull our weight.

Some of this work is likely being done across various departments and in AGS and the military, but I'd imagine it's horribly under-resourced, disjointed, and not taken seriously at the heart of government.

On a practical front, how were the Dutch able to root this guy out immediately (he was stopped at Schipol and Dutch intelligence knew he wasn't legit), but he was swanning around Dublin for 4 years undetected and was furnished with a visa on a (again I'm presuming here) counterfeit Brazilian passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skinupladdy

Putin hasn't long left so it makes no difference to him if it escalates,to nuke warfare, everyone is watching Russia,China is also trying to take land but force tiawain so it t can control the waters around their coastline, Yemen the dirty war that has been going on for near if not more 20years again American armed,same as talabian they are better equipped than Russia and Ukraine soilders,or meceranairy lads the assif battery,WORLD ABOUT US=BAD WAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Who would ever hurt Hobbiton/PixieLand, shur aren't we harmless & insignificant over here! I think that might sum up alot of the public attitude to such matters. Probably think its kind of funny or all a bit of a laff that a Russian spook studied in TCD for years building up his back-story. Possibly a bit cynical...but 🤷‍♀️

30 or 40 years ago they may have had a point. As our economy has grown, we have become far more central to European affairs (without overstating things too much) and particularly the fact we have globally critical industries doing significant operations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, the mind set hasn't caught up with the both fact that we are 1) not quite so insignificiant any more as we were during the Cold war (70s/80s) and 2) entering a new reality of a deteriorating security/international situation, which Ireland will not be immune from (we are part of the EU and the wider West irrespective of neutrality & not having a military to speak of). Will probably take some sort of shock event/crisis closer to home than Ukraine (or at home...) for it to sink in. I really hope not though.😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Nothing short of a violent invasion and long brutal occupation would move the ostriches in this country from their ultra-complacent mindset.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Just regarding your point about the Dutch making a move on him so quickly, it stands to reason that they, and possibly other intelligence agencies, have been following him for a while. From what I've been able to gather, at least from books and other third-hand accounts since I'm not involved in the intelligence community myself, the general principle seems to be to just keep an eye on foreign intelligence agents unless they're about to either uncover something important, penetrate a particularly sensitive area, say, the inner circle of a head of government, or because you need someone for an exchange with whoever is on the other side.

This way, you're able to find out more about their networks, any informants they might be cultivating, their own contacts and handlers, and so on. Remember, an agent may operate alone, but they're always going to be part of a network. Also, every time you apprehend a foreign agent, you run the risk of accidentally disclosing your source, whether that's because you've been tracking their handler, one of their sources, or have gotten it from other sources, such as cracked codes or similar. My personal suspicion is that the guy was simply not considered a risk whilst he was mooching around in college but only became a concern when it became clear that he would want to get into the ICC. Once that happened, it was decided that taking him down presented less risks then letting him set up inside the ICC and possibly start cultivating sources in there, so they moved in. Having witnessed myself how the Dutch Police take down suspects they've been looking for at Schiphol, I'm pretty sure it was a VERY rude awakening for the guy.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

That I suppose makes sense.

I have seen articles which suggests what limited counter-intelligence resources we have that is directed towards hostile intellegence agencies is very 'hands-off', as in observing from afar and doing very little to no disruption.

Although I'd emphasise that an article about our friend in Trinity in the Irish press said that our services did not know this gent was Russian intelligence, and the first they got wind of his status was when the Dutch moved on him.

Which doesn't fill me with confidence. It would rather suggest that Ireland is regarded as a safe space and playground for hostile intellegence to be warehoused and do their activity in the UK and the continent unmolested.

We can grasp this nettle ourselves, or we can outsource it to the British / French / Germans / Dutch to operate on our territory. I'd much rather we did the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

id Say it will take a dressing down from Brussels or some sort of major incident before any serious change in posture on Irish intelligence.

I often think of the interaction between the American ambassador ( I think ) and DeValera during world war 2 where the ambassador asked de Valera what he would do if the Germans arrived at our shores and De Valera answered “ I don’t know” . We have not moved on much since then IMO, and I can see that De Valera mindset reflected in many of the older generation today. They just can’t perceive the threat from such a distant foreign country and often are not interested in discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Given that Russia sought to do that creepy embassy expansion, it's safe to say that their espionage operation has been underway here for a pretty long time, or at least since Putin's speech at the 2007 Berlin conference where he made it clear of his upset at NATO expansion. In that sense, I don't think Ireland has been immune from soft Russian aggression. It's a well-known fact that Ireland is militarily neutral, but far from politically neutral. Even if Dev expressed a condolence over Hitler in 1945, when push came to shove, Ireland as a state has sided with Western powers since its foundation.

As far as anything more concrete, like a direct military attack, it's safe to say that if Russia ever decided to start lobbing missiles at Ireland, we'd be in a situation of direct hostilities between the West and Russia, and the whys, whats and wherefores would be of little concern vs. digging the hole in the garden and roaring about who had the iodine tablets last.

"I PUT THEM IN THAT DRAWER BACK IN 2002, AND UNLESS SOMEONE MOVED THEM, THEY SHOULD STILL FECKIN' BE THERE!!!"

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm way beyond giving Irish authorities of any kind of benefit of the doubt that they're secretly amazingly competent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement