Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Quite (!), however there's a fair few possible steps on a ladder of aggressive and hostile acts we could suffer from between being "just" a kind of spy nest where the final target(s) are perhaps not Irish or even based in Ireland, and suffering any sort of direct military attack. This space between is the kind of "shock" event I was thinking of.

Some of those steps may be very unpleasant and damaging for Ireland in their own right, so hopefully such threats will be taken more seriously (by govt. of course, but it was mostly the mindset of a big part of the Irish public as regards issues of security & defence I was criticising in my posts - a kind of belief we are exempt from or even above worrying about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Irish ambassador during World war 2 was a headbanger that got the job as he was related to Roosevelt. He wanted Ireland pulled into the war ASAP, it was the Irish American political block that countered his ravings to Roosevelt. His own lot wanted him gone after a while, he was holding **** seances for intelligence gathering.

More importantly, what business would Brussels have giving a National government a dressing down? Last I checked we don't report to Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Depressing coming back here. Nevertheless, any thoughts on :

and

It seems we're escalating the conflict against Russia. Damascus airport was bombed by Israel with the US saying it helped. Russia may have to send forces to Syria. Lithuania opens the prospect of a NATO conflict.

https://youtu.be/hjWkfCSF52g

From the. BBC lavrov interview, Russia are not backing down. They outline their complaints. If you want details, look at the escalation logged by OSCE prior to the Russian invasion.

I wonder what's next, nuclear war?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The US are led by a war mongering arms industry more powerful than any government on the planet. I find it mad when people are up in arms about Russia, and supportive of the states. Both destabalise the world for their own gain and we shouldn't take either side, they're both horrible.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Long may Pax-Americana reign. It's the reason you grew up in a liberal free Europe out from under the jackboot of both fascism and Stalinism.

They're not asking for a thank you card by the way, but it's the fact of the matter. And it's the only thing standing between a Europe being swamped by another fascist creep, this time in Moscow.

Think about that the next time you curse the "military industrial complex" you read about in a dog-eared copy of some Chomsky pop-politcal theory book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't particularly take a side between america and Russia -

But I definitely take a side when Russia invaded Ukraine again - remember Ukraine were neutral when Russia invaded the first time ( well the first time this century ... )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I find it irritating that our media is parroting the NATO talking points without any push back. The BBC lavrov interview is quite good, Lavrov looks a bit stupid talking about Nazi's but makes salient points around the Minsk agreement.

IMHO, we need to challenge NATO and Ukraine the same way.

Look at the OSCE ceasefire violation before the war.

The OSCE is there at the request of the Ukranian government to monitor ceasefire violations. Zelensky should be asked about this. He outlawed russian and arrested the opposition leader. He should be questioned about that too.

As it stands, the pro Russian press use logic to justify the invasion whereas the pro Ukrainian press is awful relying on Putin being mentally unstable and Ukranian war victories many of which seem unverified. It is a mess telling us Russia is close to economic collapse while it's currency soars despite our sanctions which seem to backfire. It seems anti logic and while it may be on the right side, it needs to give real professional analysis.

IMHO, the West should be pushing both Russia AND Ukraine to de-escalate and we should probably tell the USA to **** off as they only seem to make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's understandable that the public is not going to be generally worried about a potential event somewhere in between soft-touch espionage and hard ordinance. Not because nothing can happen but because life would be un-livable to think too much that way.

The big one I can think of as far as "Intermediate" threats go is cyber-attack. At least some of this threat can be mitigated by continuing to educate the public to "think about that link" and enforcing good safety practices in government departments. There haven't been any massive cyber attacks in the West, that I know of, since this invasion began. I would say it's something the USA is keeping a real close eye on and is disseminating advice to allies and partners on how to protect themselves.

So much wrong with this post. Economics not an expertise of yours then.

This is unvarnished Kremlinite wheeze.

The thread has been going a long time, more sophisticated peddlers of this stuff and merchants of doubt were sent packing with their tails between their legs.

Don't be among them.

• Advertisement

Ruble at five year high against Euro.

80% of world not sanctioning Russia, e.g. Briics.

I mean your post is pathetic, like those people that respond to any sceptical questions about the war to say the questioner is Putin's puppet.

Imagine if science was like that. There would be no special theory of relativity. No nothing.

The rouble is a dead currency. It is not tradable internationally and no one wants it.

Want to know how strong the rouble really is? Check out the parallel black market exchange rates in Russian cities (toilet paper) - it's a fully managed currency like the North Korean won, a potemkin currency.

Pax americana? Tell that to the Vietnamese, Koreans (evidence emerged of biological weapon use by USA recently), Libya, Iraq, Nicaragua, etc.).

The Russian's are literally the reason Hitler was stopped.

Jackboot? I think you've been reading too much Tom Clancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia is going to get a hand up from the 3rd world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Is it the front or back the track motors to the blade?

Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany, we all know ow that couple, both volatile both extremely alike, an intense love that fell apart due to their shared pathologies.

I mean, I was surprised by your statement and thought maybe I was wrong. It appears you may have been correct about a month ago but not anymore.

i don't know where you're from. I'm from Dublin. I have no connection to Russia. Would like to understand what is happening in the world but leaving here again as the conversation seems pointless gibberish.

Sanctions have very rarely changed any country from its path.

At the most it will stop Russia from its next imperial adventure.

It's not going to stop this one.

I don't think anyone ever thought that sanctions will dissuade a man like Putin from conducting this war. What they are designed to do is demoralise to the maximum extent the beneficieries of Putin's regime, corrode his war-making capacity, and on a sheer moral level, in so far as possible - keep blood stained Russian money out of our economic system.

In a war like this, as long as the cost is greater for Russia than it is for those imposing the sanctions, they can be said to be working. And that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, that would be one. I suppose information warfare & messing with elections and referendums here is another. Or disrupting or damaging the operations of those US MNCs we are so proud of in some way (dunno how exactly though - pilfering their IP for example?).

That is all staying on the low end of that aggression scale.

I don't want the Irish public to be worried and biting their nails over it (going to an opposite extreme)!

Just, I expect that if (or I suppose it will probably be when, with the way the world is going) the govt. starts to try and spend some more money on this stuff there will be a public outcry, stemming from or driven by the mindset I criticised. That belief we're either untouchable here or noone would wish us ill or bother with us, and security/defence etc. is really for others to consider somewhere out there in the big bad world perhaps.

It is a waste, who would harm us in Ireland anyway, what about the health service and housing etc. Anyway - sorry I'll pack up the soapbox and stop taking it off topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They weren't stopped by the Russians. The US supplied Russia with 17% of the US war output during WW2. The Russians received over 50 billion in aid equivalent to 700 billion in today's money.

They got 7k tanks ( they got another 5k from the British), 4k planes, 2k locomotives and 11k rail cars. They got trucks, jeeps artillery guns ammo etc

During this same time the US was virtually fighting the Japanese by themselves, and were fighting in Europe.

Do not for minute think that the USSR defeated Germany by itself

Slava Ukrainii

I wasn't commenting on military capability, I was just saying that both are a cancer. I couldn't care less who has better tactics, they'd both be better off ceasing to exist.

I didn't even have WW2 in mind when I made my comment, i'm talking about both as they are today. Both have an unfair influence on the world, and both are dick swinging pests. The Russian approach is scum and the American approach is scum. The people from both sides aren't the problem either, they're rational humans for the most part like the rest of us. Putin should be hung from his neck, and the military machine in the US needs a seeing to but that is no easy task.

Why should a good deed in the past have me ignore the obvious attrocities in the present? The Russians arguably brought facism to an end anyway, and I don't think that gives them a free pass on the world stage. I'm glad for the western comforts I'm acustomed to but that doesn't mean I have to agree with US that exists today. They're not a democracy, it is clear that the strings are being pulled by lobbyists and the real power that is money. The whole thing is corrupt, there's no good side. Greed and corruption all round.

I'm not taking a side either and I agree that what is happening in Ukraine is disgusting. I just don't understand those who feel that same way and celebrate the US system at the same time. We have people up in arms about golfers playing for the Saudis and at the same time championing the countries that arm them. They've just as much blood on their hands as Russia and I think both should be shamed for what they do. We're on a certain side and whether we like to admit it or not, the waters we drink from are muddled in the same way as they are for the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The US has mostly stopped meddling in overseas wars, given up of the idea of forcing regime change and even took a large amount of flak for withdrawing from Afghanistan last year (something that seems to have escaped the attention of the certified loons of the extreme left).

I'm not saying "yes, but America", you're barking up the wrong tree or maybe itching for that argument. I don't think there is any justifcation for what Russia has done in Ukraine, none whatsover. I'm just sharing my views on the default support for the US and friends by many who are against Russia's actions. I think we should be disgusted at the behaviour, there shouldn't be any time for it. I've no time for Russia or the US, they've both brought countries to their knees either directly or indirectly.

The US are funding a war in Yemen and have a military influence in every corner of the world. Them not being formally and directly involved in conflict doesn't take away the influence they're having in some of the most war torn regions at the moment. They haven't stopped meddling at all, Biden only signed off on 500m in arms support to Saudi Arabia, Trump provided them before him. This has nothing to do left v right politics, I've no interest in that simplistic shite.

This is exactly the "Yes but America" crap that was banished from the thread.

I'd advise you to go back and read the thread from the start. It's not welcome. Not because you're not entitled to whatever wacky opinion on the USA you hold, but because it's wildly off topic.

Please heed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭eire4

No question in my mind this is one of the key areas where a significantly beefed up defense and security forces spending should be going. I would hope the past 6 odd months will prove to be a wake up call in that regard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement