Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was in my mates garage a few weeks ago having a cuppa and the Snap On man arrived, I nearly bought a torque wrench off him, then remembered I didn't win the lotto. My Parkside one will have to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They all need adjustment at some point regardless of their price 😎

But the snap on is so sexy... I've a few snap on bits and honestly, I'd save them from a fire before the missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

How do you check it though do you need any special equipment

I have 2 Torque wrenches that I have had for a while and never been checked

Cheers

Could not really go too far with the output shaft in this state

I was afraid I would put it in gear and whats left of the metal would just strip off and I would be left on the side of the road

So I got another gearbox and happy to say it went in without issue

all reassembled and back in action

Plenty of YouTube videos.. torque wrench can be brought back into spec with luggage scales or solid fixed weights and a bench vice to hold your wrench

Cheers never thought it could be checked without some special tools :-)

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I just check mine by comparing the reading on one to another...but on another note...

Today I decided to change the front wheel bearings. I did this once before many many moons ago and all I remembered from it was that after pouring boiling water on the hub the bearing race just flopped out. No such look today on this bike. The bearing spacer was up tight against each side so I decided I'd use my yet unused €bay special blind bearing puller set! Bolted it in and was hoping the lips of the split collet would force their way in between the spacer and the bearing. Tightened it up...few bangs of the slide-hammer and the puller just slid out with no bearing. Had a few more goes and the last attempt, tightened up the collets to fk to the point that two of them just snapped off. Absolute waste of money buying cheap...(I should've known!!!). Eventually went at it again and was able to get enough bite of a punch to knock the first one out and then the second is just a formality. Had a 36mm impact socket to drive in the new bearings and got the speedo side in handy enough but my socket was too big to get the other side fully home - looks like I needed a 35mm socket which I didn't have so I had the bright idea of using the old bearing on top and after giving it a few whacks I had the new bearing fully seated and the old bearing more than half-way into the hub!...oh the joys!!...lol. Have to now source a n anchor bolt to try and see if I can hammer the old bearing back out...ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I put the new bearings in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer the night before fitting. They go in easy enough then.

• Advertisement

Yeh...I hear ya...I did think of that at one point but the fridge in the house I'm in has no freezer...

I cut a slice in the old bearing with the angle grinder so that it would compress a little when using it to hammer the new bearing in to place

Made it easy to remove afterwards

But yep I agree about buying cheap

But sometimes your only going to use these things once or twice so no need to buy the best of the best

I recently changed the wheel bearings & steering head bearings on the V

There were 3 on the rear wheel and 2 on the front

Dont know how I did not break the puller as one of the rear ones had a circlip holding it in place and with all the crud and gunge I did not see it and was trying to pull it against the circlip :-(

All of the bearings were the original with 80,000KM and needed to be done

Ah yes, I remember cutting a bearing like that sometime before, I think maybe it was when I was fitting steering bearings, God only knows when that was. Never even entered my mind this time before reaching for the old race.

Which puller set have you got? I see good ones priced at a few hundred which would be a bit much for like you said - the amount of times you'd be using it, so I might just see if I can source some good quality split collets on their own and see if I can get them working with the slide-hammer I've got.

I picked up a stock exhaust for the 954. Its a bit scratched but I'll dona job on it

It had a stubby dominator, the bike ran very lumpy with it, obviously it messed up fuelling. Much smoother now and I'm not deafening my neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

I had to completely re jet my DR650 and modify my airbox when I put a high flow exhaust on the bike. Runs much smoother now and a lot more power.

Exactly, more air needs more fuel. ECU parameters are quite narrow and while they can cope with some changes a massive change to airflow needs to be tuned.

I am going to tune the power commander, my bike has the exhaust and intake flaps deleted so needs a bit of fuel down low.

I'm going to try new needle positions tomorrow myself on the airhead, have it idling about right, but waiting to borrow a twin max carb tuner off my friend. Can't seem to find any for same in Europe or UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

maahh.... more electric gremlins on the Dragstar. This time the key needs to be wiggled about a bit before the power comes on. Something to do for the weekend I suppose.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I get that on the V the odd time

Usually a squirt of contact cleaner down the barrell sorts it out and then a little squirt of graphite afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Get a spray can of WD-40 DRY PTFE Lube. Had the same issue with my key but this sorted it out.

I think its recommended because it's 'dry', so doesn't attract stuff that could make it worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Have an annoying slow puncture (at least the TPMS is good for keeping an eye on it). Slathered the back wheel in soapy water, found nothing.

Anybody tried tyre sealants - Slime etc.? any use? any problems with them?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Won't work on a leak at the rim or in the sidewall.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's expanding foam ones too, but they're usually high pressure cans meant to inflate the tyre too in emergency so not sure how well they last. Pretty sure you also need to know which section of tyre is leaking and have that as the low point.

Personally would use bead sealer on rims first and see how that works.

Bead sealer? Not heard that term before - got any brand names I should look up?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still working on same tin I bought ages ago so can't compare, whatever's cheaper or handiest to buy

Paint it on both surfaces and then fully fit tyre, it takes ages to dry and looks manky if you just plaster it on so just on the joining surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Oiled the petrol cap, a little while back, so it seems okay. The petrol isn't going down on days when it's not used. Ethanol is an ever present water absorbing menace (and growing once E10 becomes the rule). One way of helping (I am told) is replacing existing rubber piping with modern piping of a suitable grade. Now that might only be an issue with older (than 2002) bikes, but that is a simpler sort of job (albeit not super simple on the Magna which needs the radiator loosened and moved to access front plugs). Honda Magnas are no bother bikes tho.

May be possible to replace the seal on the petrol cap or even the petrol cap itself

Or if you had loads of money you could only put super unleaded in it

You know the stuff that is just the old unleaded petrol without the ethanol at an inflated price and a new name :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It seems to be keeping a seal over the past few weeks. Not sure how common super unleaded is nowadays. A number of petrol stations sell a more expensive petrol, but it doesn't appear to be higher octane fuel, but maybe it is.

Old fuel line could dissolve with ethanol and wouldn't be good for the carbs or engine.

just get decent fuel line and Ethanol proof gaskets for the carbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Added some shorty levers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yay for decreased leverage!

Never got the point of those. Usually when people end up with short levers after a crash they feel the need to replace them 😁

Scrap the cap!

Theyre nice for off road and trail riding. can keep one or two fingers over them for control.

I'm not bothered on my two road bikes, but I'm tempted for the DR

also some knucklegaurds don't fit full lenth levers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah was on the fence on them myself and wouldn't think they are suitable to have on all bikes ,it just makes it more comfortable with the bar end mirrors on this bike (mto7) and works for me ,"short" is been generous though as not much between them and the original levers !

Headed off for a spin and got up the road and noticed I had no back brake.

Back home and bled the system but this had little or no effect.

No sign of leak anywhere.

I then adjusted the push rod in the master cylinder.

This seems to have done the job... for now at least.

Strange one.

Needless to say theres something up there.

Whatya reckon Blade, the crazy heat at the mo and the weird placement of the master right on the engine coupled with hard use cause it boil fluid? Caliper binding any?

Air get into the system?

If i was to take a stab its possible there was residual air in the system what with the mad design of the nipple placement, most rear brakes on our bikes have this. Perhaps with the above it caused it?

Give bleeding a go with the caliper in your hand and sidewaya slightly, it usually burbs out a fat air bubble. Youve prob bled it this way but worth mentioning just in case?

You could have probably guessed I had the caliper off and bleed nipple above everything else when bleeding.

A prick of a system.

Not sure what was going on tbh.

Lever was bottoming out and no pressure at all.

No sign of air in system and fluid was up to the max line.

A first for me anyway.

Not that the rear brake on these are much good anyway but I alway use it to varying degrees depending on surface etc.

I did say "Youve prob bled it this way but worth mentioning just in case"

Turning it sideways is worth mentioning again. Just. In. Case. Like.

Failing all tgat shyte your seal is gone/going so id say.

Inspect the bore before resealing.

I can lock the rear (if i was inclined) on me capo but yah a scooter rear brake set up if there ever was one.

• Advertisement

similar issue at the moment with the R100 rear brake. Took it off the mount, held it so the bleed nipple was the highest point and got more air out, but still not great.

Front brakes are fine.

Mine are better perfect since I adjusted the push rod in the master cylinder.

I'll be doing a more thorough inspection when I get a chance though as it's probably too good to be true.

Came out to a leaking fork this morning.

The oul homemade sealmate to the rescue.

Seems to have done the job.

I've never owned a bike with USD forks, do they tolerate a bit of a weep for a while or do you wake up one morning to a puddle of oil?

That said, when my RWU fork seal blew, the fcukin' thing pissed out most of the oil in one go over a speed bump!

Scrap the cap!

The usual scenario is if the bike hasn't been used for a while,then when you go for a spin it leaks.

I hadn't ridden the bike in 3 or 4 weeks until Friday.

When I got back on Friday it was probably leaking but didn't notice it until Saturday.

Not a drop out it now after giving it a good testing 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'm assuming the testing was on a bench and followed the prescribed manner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I got my bike to levitate briefly....with some assistance... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Bought some ACF50 last week, gave it a go yesterday.

Happy enough with the results it gives the frame, engine a real shine so hopefully will protect it now over the winter as I ride through all seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I find that you have to reapply it after washing and after prolonged driving in heavy rain.

It does work brilliantly of you do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah I was wondering that as some ppl say they only apply once a year,

I wouldn't mind redoing it every few weeks as it doesn't take too long to give it a quick spray over the main areas

Advertisement