Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about rewilding a couple of areas of garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

This is definitely true. I know that people like the idea of supporting biodiversity by rewilding part of their lawn. For the first year it's lovely, full of colour. Time passes and it becomes tussocky and the wildflowers are overtaken by scutch, rushes and and the like. Next thing you know it is being mowed because it looks rough and unkempt and all the wildlife that has moved in is destroyed. Disaster for frogs in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I listened to an interesting podcast yesterday with Monbiot who talked amongst other things about his (shared) allotment orchard, which is sort of rewilded.

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/140985154

The relevant part starts a couple of minutes in.

I think it's important to be clear about the objective, which is not to produce something instagram-picture perfect, but to create a rich ecosystem down to the microbial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That was very interesting. I don't agree with his 'we should become vegan' argument, rather we should eat considerably less meat and dairy and make 'junk' food much more expensive. It can be done by legislation though, not by an interested few being (expensively) vegan and the rest eating what they can afford. Food factories can produce junk, or they could produce wholesome food; that is something governments can control.

But back on topic, yes a fascinating podcast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What about irises, or marginal plants you'd use in a reed bed (the reed beds made to replace septic tanks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Yellow rattle is a native Irish plant and will supress grass growth. Red Clover will grow in moist soil. This will make an attractive environment for Bumble bees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I went that road many years ago. Red Clover is lauded as a haven for bumble bees and other pollinators but, to be honest, I think it's over rated. I have swarms of Bumble bees et al on geranium and bugle, heathers and foxgloves in the more formal parts of the garden. The red clover area has just a few.

Advertisement