Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya, Hollywood to Sleive Mann wasn't great apart from getting the average speed up a bit and a lot of the last 30km or so was pretty much the same.

3k up.... yeah baby😁

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also bitter you broke the 3k ascent, i was 45 metres short apparently

Is that Garmin or Strava elevation? If Garmin, then you am adjust the elevation to Strava's value. My Garmin almost always under-reads by about 10% so I need to adjust it in Strava)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Strava auto adjusts for me; maybe I ticked (or didn't tick) a box? Mine usually underestimates by 10-15% too, occasionally more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

did the W200. That's always going to be a long sore day in the saddle. Was down with a heavy cold earlier in the week, and was doubtful up to Wednesday. Moving time of 9.15h probably down on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

W100 for me yesterday. Had intended to tackle the 200 but (wisely) rolled back having made a call on my fitness for really steep stuff, plus the mate I was doing it with was getting some grief from his knee and we decided to take our time and enjoy the 100 rather than spend the day struggling to get to time cutoffs on the 200.

Good day out, some fairly brutal climbs, the one up to Djouce woods (old long hill?), and the one up the back of Avondale after Rathdrum that had me thinking I was going to see the ham and cheese sandwich again - though at least it was scenic compared to the earlier one. Some of the busier roads certainly wouldn't be my choice and there was some driving on evidence ranging from inconsiderate to downright ignorant - last 30km or so from Ashford were mostly meh. I found I still had a fair amount in the take for the last few lumps - Windgates was grand, but if I were never see it again, I wouldn't bother me, and the last drag up from the N11 through Enniskerry before dropping back down to Bray was reasonably enjoyable

Marshalling was excellent throughout, and it was nice to fall in with various groups of people around it.

So just shy of 102km, wiith 1387m (Strava adjusted - Garmin had about 100m less) in 5 hours bang on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Far preferred the old Greystones finish to Bray, both seem entirely lacklustre when you think about the glorious finish in Rusborough house for the reservoir dog. Wasn't mad on the Cycle Superstore registration either, though admittedly did enjoy looking at some the new bikes when I was there. Interesting about the elevation correction, with commute to and from the 100k, the Garmin 1020 reported 1879m and Strava corrects this to 1754m. Correcting the distance only changes things by 50m over 140k. I've noticed in the past on my Garmin 810 that it over-reports elevation slightly when compared to Strava.

I've had the correction go both ways over the years - though to be fair I usually don't bother - but of 2 lads I know that uploaded, one had about the same as my corrected elevation (and he'd missed a few km after Rathdrum as he forgot to restart), and the other nearly 1600, so I was curious what way it would go

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of GPS unit do you have?

mines the most basic garmin one - edge 25, and it just uses GPS for elevation, which is famously inaccurate. it seems to smooth out hills and dips.

i've always assumed strava corrects with the elevation data gathered from the maps themselves.

I've recently upgraded to a Garmin 1030 plus after the battery and power button on my 810 started giving out. I suspect both may be prone to 'mild exaggeration' to make you feel better after lashing out so much on a jumped up speedometer 😉 (To be fair, I use the mapping and navigation regularly)

Went out this evening after a long tough day working from home. Followed a 72km route from Leixlip > Dunboyne > just outside Trim > Summerhill > Dunboyne > Leixlip at an average pace of 32.6km/h. The stretch from Black Bull towards Trim was busy with commuting traffic and I had several close passes. But one positive along this stretch was that I seemed to be doing between 35-40km/h despite the SW breeze.

Around Knightsbrook, I was passed by a forage harvester followed by a tractor and silage trailer going up Breemount hill but caught up with them on the Summerhill side. I possibly could have overtaken them but as they were doing a decent pace (>35km/h) I decided to stay behind the tractor and trailer and enjoy the tow (although I stayed a safe enough distance behind it so not sure how much of a tow I got).

Great weather, great speed (for me), great spin! https://www.strava.com/activities/7308928953

• Advertisement

odd, i started my spin last night at almost the same time as you and the wind was SSE not SW. other side of the city from you.

Met Eireann and Garmin both were telling me that it was a SW breeze but it did feel behind me on my way towards Trim and like I was pedalling into it on my way home. Go figure!

strava said SSE, and it was definitely an easterly when i passed the airport on the way to the start of the cycle. probably just unusually swirly wind.

I've currently got an Edge 530, my 520 having mysteriously vanished into thin air a few months ago. I think the 5x0 series have always used barometric pressure, but even so I've always sound accuracy all over the place. Looking at the elevation profiles of older rides could have the unit reckoning you had a min elevation of 150m below sea level. As to Strava's corrections, I'd imagine they must use map elevation date at a minimum, though if I were tackling it, I'd be leveraging data collected from users and averaging it out as well (chuck out a certain percentile at either end that's going to be bonkers)

Some good discussion on Strava on this here. Strava doesn't actually say where it gets its elevation base map from specifically, just that it is 'from the community' Given Ordnance Survey elevation data is not as yet open in this country as are any of the other decent mapping databases, I'm guessing we're looking at the SRTM dataset as worst case fall back, which is not particularly accurate.

they use openstreetmap for the map displays, and that has elevation data, so would be the obvious first guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday: Left office in Inchicore, traffic heavy enough up Naas road, Walkinstown ave and up Greenhills Road onto Tallaght bypass. Headed over the road towards Lucan but turned off and headed by Peamount for Newcastle . Hazelhatch, and turned on Lords road to Ardclough, up Boston hill and on towards Kilteel crossroad, left down to Rathcoole, Saggart , back on to n81, Tallaght bypass and home. 55km ,423m up and avg 28kph. Lovely evening and a very moderate wind for a change.

Openstreetmap doesn't have it's own elevation dataset, AFAIK in Ireland it is based on SRTM, see https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/3069/elevation-maps

glorious evening for it, but FWIW i finished with 698m elevation according to my garmin and strava corrected that to 834m; which is nearly 20% higher.

also, i managed to stop the garmin at 66.66km but strava corrected that to 66.65. the bounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

25k on the hills today. Only getting used to the hills as I was more endurance/flat road cycling before. 1 and a half hours from tallaght up through viewpoint and beyond and back. The sun went in up in the mountains and I froze my balls off in a skimpy cycling t shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Gorey to Arklow, Woodenbridge, up the New Line and right for Ballycoog , just short of Aughrim back out on to the road back to Woodenbridge; Arklow and back to Gorey. 71km 550 meters up, avg 30kph

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

First time on the bike in 5 years. Managed 10k before the legs gave out and the lungs were burning. But it’s a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

About 10 years ago I was passing Beasty's Lair when I happened to look at my Garmin and it was displaying a very apt 6.66kms.

you could try dropping a gear (i.e. move to an easier gear); especially if your legs are getting used to the bike again, before the muscles have built up. it varies from person to person, but usually a cadence of 80-90RPM is advised for efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I have noticed recently that temporary signs advising "cycle in progress" are being left up indefinately. How are motorists supposed to know when the event is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Being a contrarian, I measure my running and cycling distances in miles. When I do a 3.1 mile run (5k), Strava routinely adjusts down to 3.09. very frustrating

Came off last night for the first time since I was a total newcomer and every stop while clipped in was panic inducing.

Only doing about 5kph as was coming to a stop and dropped to the small ring when chain came off. All 6' 4" of me went down like a big log. As usual, a line of traffic there to look at me. Few deserved laughs when they realised I was ok. Bit of a bruised ego but no damage to me or the bike.

I had set out with a brand new kit I got for Father's Day and a sparkling bike after a good wash so that brought me back to earth with quite a bump.

Anyway, I was late getting out but still got in 62km with 600m up at 30.4kph. Did 6 x 5 minute intervals in the middle with an unusual and strong northerly wind for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out bohernabreena and the line, left up and over to kilbride camp, left to sally gap and back to dublin via featherbeds. Nothing too crazy but this evening was the first time in a long time that i felt 'overheated' on a bike - coming up sally gap from kippure estate, what little wind was behind me and the sun was beating down on my back, it was sweltering. Turning left and the descent down to glencree cooled me down.

57k, 2h 20m, 963up.

To continue the strava elevation conversation, I have a suunto watch i use, it measured today at 840m, its always 10-15% less than strava. The suunto app is a bit weird i can see from it that the elevations in it are not fully correct.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7340923767

Advertisement