Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I switched to that a few weeks ago. I was buying Connaught Gold tubs and it jumped to 3.85. I like butter, so I bought a butter dish. I'm not happy about the jump in the Dunnes price of butter and if it goes much higher then I'll switch to a cheaper dairy spread. We did a very large shop this week, including a few things we buy regularly that were on offer and it was scary how much it had jumped since last week. One thing I noticed was a brand of vegetarian ham that I buy jumped to 3.89 for a pack, I don't buy it since they did that, but there's a vegan version in the same range that has stayed at 2.69, that's a hell of a difference and must be due to the lack of eggs and other dairy products in it. I was going to buy a pack of Birds Eye fish fingers until I saw that they are now 7.20 a pack. In what universe is that an acceptable price for fish fingers. Bought Lidl ones for less than 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yeah, to be honest, we don’t buy brands for a lot of things anyway. Never did. The basics like butter, milk are always gonna be cheaper than the avonmore/ dawn/Kerrygold or whatever. Butter is butter and milk is milk at the end of the day and the own brand is still cheaper than the branded….albeit the prices have increased significantly!!! Kerrygold 1lb block butter is 3.95 - so almost another euro extra than the Dunnes brand. I’m not referring to you here, but there are many people that just buy the big brands and wouldn’t dream of buying own brands - think that’s going to change with the way prices are going. We also get the Kilkeely Gold spreadable butter in Aldi, which to me tastes very similar to the “real” butter, and is easier to spread obvs, and it’s 2.49, so 50cent cheaper than block, so might just get that in future, unless that goes up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This thread seems to be discussing price inflation rather than inflation. ie the effects, not the causes.

Inflation is simply the increase in the money supply. Simple as. When you fully internalise that, you take remedial action to mitigate and are no longer affected by it. ie offload as much confetti as you can and be paid in real money which is, and always has been, gold and silver.

You've been suffering the insidious effects of inflation all of your lives. But particularly since the launch of the euro. 2% inflation per annum is priced in, it makes things feel like they're improving. Which they are if you own assets but not if you don't. The gap between wages and assets has hiked across the Western World since the very early 80s. Wages of course should be increasing at the same pace as that which they consume. But the powers that be will always peddle the myth that wage inflation begets price inflation. Only inasmuch as there has been real inflation produced (creation of thin air money) that must inevitably ripple through the system. Anything less than equivalent, index-linked wage increases is quite simply stealth tax and a transfer of wealth. i.e. the rising tide lifts all boats, except those of workers, whose boats have been lashed to the jetty.

It's shockingly simple. But,unfortunately, our governments, monetary institutions and sadly the populace are all in the thrall of Keynesians, the Walter Mittys of economics. Their own bubble is quickly bursting now and reality will dawn on most. Sadly too late for most. Your currency is your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Keynes suggested that there was a time and a place to pump money into the economy. And there were times not to run deficits but to run surpluses and pay down debt.

The left have hijacked this, bastardised it, and there is now never a bad time to spend other peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I do agree with that. MMT gives me a brain bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The left? There is no left or right just pandering to the lowest common denominator.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"Inflation is simply the increase in the money supply. Simple as."

I hate to be pedantic, but it's not simple as.

Prime case in point: Japan. Who for many years had interest rates at rock bottom, generated a lot of money supply to their economy and experienced deflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All Tesco’s offers seem to be on club card now. It’s up to each person but prob best just get one but it is a bit smart of them

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The prices have gone up in Aldi and Lidl too. It's not exclusive to Dunnes and Tesco.

I really like Aldi and Lidl and their prices BUT I can't do a weeks shopping in there. My local 'Super Lidl' stock taking and replenishing their stock is just woeful. I would say 50% of the times I go in, they have none of the stock I am looking for. It's a wasted trip and I have to shop elsewhere anyway.

I have learnt to do my full weeks in Dunnes. You just have to be disciplined and only buy what you need. Their stock is always there and I get everything I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I presume you only buy from Donnybrook Fair with the other O'Carroll-Kelly clones?

It’s all the same just different packaging and variations

More often than not it’s full of absolute sh*te. Preservatives, sugars, salt content etc.

am not blind to the fact that many people are left with no option but to buy cheaper food; just calling out the premise that it’s all the same

i never buy food with ingredients that I might not be able to have on my own shelf, but accept that that is sometimes a privilege in these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Depends what you buy.

Some things there's absolutely no point buying branded. For example vanilla ice cream or digestive biscuits.

If you're buying branded for those you'll probably pay close to 2 euro extra per pack. Same with things like rice or pasta or chips, ketchup etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sugarman20

Couldn't believe the price difference in oats today in Lidl. Flahavan's €2.99, Kavanagh's €0.99 and you'd struggle to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Maybe they have, can't say I've noticed myself but they're still starting from a lower base.

We make all our meals, we dont buy processed food but fruit, veg, meat, dairy toiletries etc are all considerably cheaper in Lidl/Aldi with zero difference in quality.

If you're not doing your weekly shopping in them you're burning money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

dont forget about inflation's ugly sister - shrinkflation. sometimes they go hand in hand...

this coffee went 10% up while amount you get went 10% down at the same time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Food is nicer in Dunnes . Food is also last thing I'll cut corners on .

Yea, you pay a premium for the brands. What I do is I mostly buy them on special offers and mix and match between them all. I also like M&S as a treat to shop in but again try to get offers and also their short dated stuff is good value so long as you plan eating it they day or next.

Was up north lately and it is good to stock up on some things there. A 20 can Coca Cola was £7.50. That’s the bones of €15 here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

With gold and silver not attainable for a lot of people, any thoughts on cryptocurrency? Was seen as a hedge against inflation but is showing to be anything but (though the ridiculous consumption of energy to run it and the crypto bubble may be more at fault there).

We've also been drastically increasing the money supply for a decade, was this just the perfect storm (post-pandemic demand for items where production had been slowed along with a war that impacted energy supply) or the chickens coming home to roost?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would agree except even the right is spazzing money everywhere (see the US national debt during the 4 GOP years, and then the previous 8 GOP years vs. the Dem years in between).

Costa coffee getting a nice whack in prices- which were already very high. Now over €4 for a medium coffee. Be less of those now I’m afraid!

I mean it's really not. You think your chicken in dunnes tastes different to aldi/lidl chicken? You think it's being produced or packaged differently? You're being fooled if you believe either.

I have Dunnes Lidl and Iceland locally so I'm happy to have a look around all 3 and go with the best offers. The thing is, most of them will be cheap on some products but then whack money onto things you wouldn't expect. I'll stock up on a particular brand of instant coffee I like when it's on offer in Dunnes, if I go to Iceland it's always more expensive than Dunnes and it's only available sporadically in Lidl. I always buy bread in Lidl, they're really good for a lot of things but I couldn't do a full shop there. There's also the issue of quality with food. I cook mostly fresh vegetables and fish which is cheaper than prepackaged stuff, at the moment. But people buying value stuff are getting muck that's full of fat salt and sugar and that's not a healthy road to go down.

There can be a big difference not just in taste or quality or price. I don't buy much meat or poultry. When I do get poultry it's free range chicken breasts. I used to buy a pack of 3 in Dunnes until they put up the prices and took out 1 chicken breast. I get it in Lidl now as it's cheaper and has 3 breasts. There is a huge difference between free range chicken and other chicken. I don't eat it myself but the texture is firmer and not slippery and slack like cheaper chicken.

I think if you’re buying in just one supermarket then you’re very open to paying over the odds. I appreciate not everyone has the time but I flit around between them all and get whatever offers are going.

• Advertisement

My point is Free-range chicken from dunnes will taste the same as free range chicken from lidl/aldi.

I wont go into my view on the difference (very little) between free range and non free range chicken in general.

Advertisement