Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open - Can Rory get back on the Major trail?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

You're very annoying squigglestrebor

Mod Edit

Attack the post please, not the poster

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Went to bed when he's was really struggling so happy enough to see he's only 3 back, still has a squeak today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was mad watching it, he was clinging on for dear life, his only 2 putt was a par and he actually got unlucky cos ball hit a branch and came up 70 yards short, probably would've been a birdie if didn't happen. Huge contrast to Sheffler and particularly Morikawa who let it get away from them. Less so Sheffler. Then Rahm on the last with a brainfart to keep it tight

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Think he is still in with a shout, its still wide open, I'm thinking 3 under might win it. His putting on the back nine was very good, not so good on the front nine. Think I fancy Rahm, but if Rory (or Seamus) didn't win it I would like to see Zalatoris or Matt win it. Still not convinced how either will handle the last day based on hwo they played on the last day in the PGA (when the pressure was on) but if they have gained from that experience this could be the time for one of them to make the breakthrough. Unlike the Masters it could go down to the wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He’s in with a huge shout, final day of the US Open is often difficult and unpredictable.

Lots of complaints about the coverage, was it that bad?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A bloody farce, lot of time didn't bother showing shots so if went to a player they'd be be further down a hole, playing a 2nd or 3rd. The continued cycle of panoramic shots, followed by leaderboard, then ads, then leaderboard then a few shots and repeat is infuriating

Hopefully competition from LIV will make them cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭cosatron

they showed the fudge up by zander sheufele who was +4 at the time which was totally unnecessary and the amateur who went coast to coast on a chip at the edge of the green and ball rolled down into the fairway

• Registered Users Posts: 38,284 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy Rahm will do it, it's like he hasn't had a good day yet and he's right there.

I'd love to see Matthew Fitzpatrick or Will Zalatoris do it.

All the stuff being said about McIlroy is ridiculous. Firstly he has been Fed Ex Cup champion on two occasions in the last six years and the only other two time winner is Tiger Woods.

Secondly he is the most popular golfer in the world outside of Tiger Woods, Mickelson was too but he's lost that now. There's no doubt about that, I'd guess he's less loved in this country than many others which is a sad indictment of Irish people and their jealousy against successful people from their own country.

Thirdly it's not his fault that you hear his name mentioned as a contender for every major, outside of the fact that he's a multiple major winner and the winningest golfer on the PGA tour now that Dustin Johnson has left it. You always heard about Johnson as a contender just like Rory.

People need to cop on and hate on people from other countries if they need to hate.

Honestly there's guys here who I believe would shout for a cheat like Patrick Reed over Rory.

My own opinion is that Rory needs a caddie that's not his friend, somebody who is strong enough to tell him he's making a bad choice when he gets too aggressive.

Anyway, looking forward to the final round. You couldn't rule out anybody, like Justin Thomas is seven back just like in the PGA championship. Rory only three back and he regularly finishes strongly in Majors. The dark horse for me is Adam Hadwin, he's bogeyed early in every round, he's three over for the first four holes for the week with a birdie thrown in there. If he manages to get through the first four level par or better he's a serious contender I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

He is 10/1 which is about the shout that he is in with. He isnt much shots behind but the problem is prob the calibre of player , scottie is one ahead rahm is two and the two boys are very good at 3. Would ya reckon he needs to shoot 67 minimum?

Much less so! Scheffler was 1over for the day vs morikawas 7!but i suppose he looked a lot more ragged cos he was at 6 under i think. Looking forward to tonight tho , who are are you picking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I dislike when sky do interviews as the leaders are coming to the end . End up missing shots . Show all interviews after the event .

is it still an 18 hole play off or is that changed ?

Yeah Shefflers "collapse" was offset by his earlier round at least, but +4 for final 7/8 holes was a shock.

Really want Rory, but think he'll come up 1 or 2 shy. I think Sheffler will do it, he's on his streak now and will clinch it. Not a player there I wouldn't mind winning it (even Bradley), but it's set up for a great night.

In last 30 years winner didn't come from outside of T8 going into final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,284 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

USGA changed it a couple of years ago, it's a two hole aggregate score now and sudden death after that.

Think we'll see a playoff tonight, Rahmbo and Burns.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Play off looks fairly likely alright. What score do we think? Im gonna say 5 under

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

3 under, will be tough conditions I think

• Advertisement

Nice start from mackers, this could get interesting yet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thinking more like seven to nine under will win, conditions not looking as nasty as expected, with rather light winds over the area for most of the day, will pick up towards end of the round probably, also it was expected to rain but that seems to have come and gone, could be a few spits. Looking at scores already shot or almost finished rounds, some four under for the day, one or more of these leading guys is going to go low. Hadwin has sunk two long putts to avoid total disaster, might be a good sign for him as he gets on birdie streaks many times. It's chilly there, just 15 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This is getting interesting. Light winds making scoring a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Incredible from Scheff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are there more 'get in the hole' idiots at this than usual? I had the vague impression Brookline was a particularly classy district...

Of course I'm in a hotel with no sky sports and have to miss it. Probably too much needed for Rory now, wouldn't mind Fitzpatrick closing it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It's relentless. Feels like it's shouted for every single put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Download the US OPEN app. You can watch Rory's group or featured holes. Really good and free. Luckily I am at home feet up, beer in hand enjoying on Sky Sports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Advertisement