Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Will there be many Ukrainians at these pride marches with their european values?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

To be fair @[Deleted User] you're I mostly enjoy your posts here on boards.ie and often throw you a thumbs-up for good contributions - but here is one post that I've quoted and it really irks me a wee bit.

The abuse dished out to homosexuals down through the centuries has fook all to do with the most of today's folk. I am not responsible if my grandfather or his father or my older uncle or grandmother or her mother or my older aunt held anti-homosexual views. I do not deserve to be at the receiving end of the one-up-man-ship some of the LGB community are so intent on delivering as a price to be paid for THEIR views long ago. For me it is a parallel with the "White guilt" we see with the modern left and it's clamouring for opening EU borders to Africa owing for the years of colonialism exerted upon the continent in past times.

Be careful about who you see should pay the price for past aggressions. That kind of think was rife in the 1950s Ireland where a family had a bad egg and they were then often sent away to hide family shame. Society then often shunned a WHOLE family because of a bad family member. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Hi klaz you made some interesting points there.

The governmental side/committee I find frustrating. It's almost like we aren't responsible for our own thoughts and actions!

Secondly, the the treatment of homosexuals in the past, i found rank and dire. Too long coming for equal rights. But, and I'm not having a go, unmarried mothers. Where were the fathers? I have had my fun...

The patience part, I 110% agree with. But I love my love part.

I've more than likely missed some points in your response. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

lol

Even the Turks show more support than Ukrainian's

• Advertisement

The abuse dished out to homosexuals down through the centuries has fook all to do with the most of today's folk.

I'm hardly ancient at 45.. and I have plenty of memories of homophobia being expressed/performed publicly throughout my teens and well into my late 20s. I've also been on the receiving end of homophobic violence.. Irelands acceptance/tolerance of homosexuals is a relatively new thing. They've embraced it in a remarkably short period of time.. but it's easy to forget/dismiss what Ireland was like in the 80s/90s/00s, which isn't that long ago.

I am not responsible if my grandfather or his father or my older uncle or grandmother or her mother or my older aunt held anti-homosexual views. I do not deserve to be at the receiving end of the one-up-man-ship some of the LGB community are so intent on delivering as a price to be paid for THEIR views long ago. For me it is a parallel with the "White guilt" we see with the modern left and it's clamouring for opening EU borders to Africa owing for the years of colonialism exerted upon the continent in past times.

Who is making you responsible for others homophobic views? Acknowledging the way Ireland used to be doesn't place any responsibility on you. Nor do homosexuals having a Pride march, and celebrating that, that period in Irish culture has ended. It's not about you. It's not about the homophobes who still exist in Irish society. It's about the homosexuals who exist today. I've seen nothing to suggest any kind of guilt being extended by LGBQ people towards straight people in Ireland.

Now, I'm sure there are activists/advocates who do that.. but we both know that they don't really represent the LGBQ community, and are more interested in lording over others with their virtue.

Be careful about who you see should pay the price for past aggressions. That kind of think was rife in the 1950s Ireland where a family had a bad egg and they were then often sent away to hide family shame. Society then often shunned a WHOLE family because of a bad family member. Think about it.

Could you direct me to a quote of mine where I suggested any such payment for past aggressions? Cause I've gone back over my posts, and I don't see it. Not do I expect any such thing.

As for the bad egg, or Black sheep reference, I'm very aware of it, since for years I was the black sheep in my family, a family that was once very religious and traditional. I'm perfectly aware of what is entailed in that.

However, I get the sense you're going on a tangent over things that I didn't state.

The governmental side/committee I find frustrating. It's almost like we aren't responsible for our own thoughts and actions!

I don't quite understand where you're coming from on this. We should be responsible for our own thoughts and actions (although many people seek to pass that on to others), but we're influenced/conditioned by society through education, and the media (State sponsored or not). Still.. I don't really know how this relates to what I wrote earlier.

Secondly, the the treatment of homosexuals in the past, i found rank and dire. Too long coming for equal rights. But, and I'm not having a go, unmarried mothers. Where were the fathers? I have had my fun...

Again, I'm a bit lost here. What's the relevance? Are you seeking to blame single mothers or the fathers who weren't around, and what are you blaming them for?

I've more than likely missed some points in your response. Apologies

It's all good. Don't worry about it. As for love/patience, I'm a teacher/lecturer so I tend to aspire to patience for both myself and my students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

No one has an issue only yourselves. Work it out and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'm hardly ancient at 45.. and I have plenty of memories of homophobia being expressed/performed publicly throughout my teens and well into my late 20s. I've also been on the receiving end of homophobic violence.. Irelands acceptance/tolerance of homosexuals is a relatively new thing. They've embraced it in a remarkably short period of time.. but it's easy to forget/dismiss what Ireland was like in the 80s/90s/00s, which isn't that long ago.

I'm pretty close age-wise and apart from a few "whoop whoop" jokes about the gays or the priests in the local over a few pints, I've never witnessed anyone to go to the extent where a homosexual person was battered to an inch of their lives on my local streets - but perhaps I was lucky not to witness any such transgressions even being from a smallish rural town - where one is expected to think that the most overtly anti-homosexual views exist.

Who is making you responsible for others homophobic views? Acknowledging the way Ireland used to be doesn't place any responsibility on you. Nor do homosexuals having a Pride march, and celebrating that, that period in Irish culture has ended. It's not about you. It's not about the homophobes who still exist in Irish society. It's about the homosexuals who exist today. I've seen nothing to suggest any kind of guilt being extended by LGBQ people towards straight people in Ireland.

You ask who is making me responsible and that is a very good question - I relate to this by drawing comparisons, to a time when another thought brigade were manipulating the public psyche. We both can remember the tales of the bishop phoning into RTE to convey his disgust over Gay Byrne comments on The Late Late Show - this week we've had a similar posture from the LGB organisations in relation to the RTE Show Live Line on Radio One. It has to be the accepted current train of thought that gets aired or else. Sorry now, but the ultra-Conservatives nor the ultra-Liberals have no place to dictate who gets to say what on a radio or TV service that I and everyone else pays a savage fee to keep going - even if most of it is shyte-fare.

Secondly, your closing point in that paragraph - you alluded to earlier in this thread that there is a cohort amongst the LGB community that disgusts you with their over-sexualisation of their orientation. I share that disgust. They're the ones, and pardon the pun, ramming homosexuality down the throats of the public as a "gotcha" for aforementioned transgressions. Enter the "guilt" characteristic overtly endorsed by today's left. They will preach no ends about how "Ireland has to become a more acceptant and tolerant society" because - gay men in priest uniform doled out nasty tirades from the pulpit (often more than not, against their own "club") - that we all have to pay the price for this. Fook that - I'm not into "societal guilt". Perhaps those who are financially comfortable and time-rich are able to do so. Not me, and as times get tough again, not alot of people will either.

Could you direct me to a quote of mine where I suggested any such payment for past aggressions? Cause I've gone back over my posts, and I don't see it. Not do I expect any such thing.

You literally just did when you said in your reply to me "but it's easy to forget/dismiss what Ireland was like in the 80s/90s/00s, which isn't that long ago." That implies society was wrong then - which it was - and when someone/something is wrong there should be a penalty/price to pay - hence today's price to be paid in conforming to observing Pride month - gobdaw George Bush said it well when he said "if you're not with us, you're against us".

As for the bad egg, or Black sheep reference, I'm very aware of it, since for years I was the black sheep in my family, a family that was once very religious and traditional. I'm perfectly aware of what is entailed in that.

I hope that you are really aware of what I'm trying to say there. As earlier alluded to - I like the vast majority of your contributions - so I hope you are able to read between the lines in that final contribution to my last post. It is not a statement made lightly and if there was more flesh on the bone to it - it would probably get me banned.

However, I get the sense you're going on a tangent over things that I didn't state.

No, sorry - I took your post and structured my response accordingly. Hope it came across well upon review. Keep up your good contributions though - I enjoy them.

I'm pretty close age-wise and apart from a few "whoop whoop" jokes about the gays or the priests in the local over a few pints, I've never witnessed anyone to go to the extent where a homosexual person was battered to an inch of their lives on my local streets - but perhaps I was lucky not to witness any such transgressions even being from a smallish rural town - where one is expected to think that the most overtly anti-homosexual views exist.

Again, with throwing in things that I didn't say or even suggest even slightly. I'm from a midland town, and it had it's fair share of homophobia, but then, it was cultural. Teenagers used homosexual jokes and jibes against each other all the time, accusing each other of being gay as if it was the worst possible state of being. That it was dirty, and something to be avoided at all costs. And that it was used as an excuse for bullying and violence in schools, or elsewhere in the pubs or outside the nightclubs.

You're not gay. At least, I didn't get this from any of your posts. You've never needed to be aware of what went on, because it didn't affect you, even slightly. It was the social norm. Why would you see it as being something worth taking notice of? We all tend to focus on our own issues when we're young. It was only when society and our culture shifted to consider homophobia as being possibly unreasonable, that people would have noticed it going on around them.

It has to be the accepted current train of thought that gets aired or else.

Which has come from the activists that are heavily invested in the Trans aspect of LGBTQ. I've said multiple times on this thread, that I disagree with where the LGBTQ community is going, as does many other LGBQ people. You still haven't explained how you're being held personally responsible for the past behaviour of others.

They're the ones, and pardon the pun, ramming homosexuality down the throats of the public as a "gotcha" for aforementioned transgressions. Enter the "guilt" characteristic overtly endorsed by today's left.

And they're easily ignored. Just do what I do. Avoid most forms of social media, and minimize your exposure to RTE. I'm a member of the LGBTQ community, and even I avoid most of their publications because they're victim pieces from people who have never tried to leave the past behind them, and accept that Ireland has changed.

However, they're still a minority. A very vocal minority, but a minority nonetheless. When LGB issues were still unresolved there was a serious presence from the LGBQ community, with active participation of the general community. Since equality has been achieved, most LGB have withdrawn from active participation, except for the Pride events, and even then, it's mostly been taken over by the Queers and the Trans groups.

You literally just did when you said in your reply to me "but it's easy to forget/dismiss what Ireland was like in the 80s/90s/00s, which isn't that long ago." That implies society was wrong then

We have a very different appreciation of what the word literally is and how it should be used then... because you're quoting what was stated, and taking away something that wasn't said. People have become very quick to forget what Ireland was like in the past, as if it happened ages ago in the distant past, and any remembrance or acknowledgment of that past (in terms of the present) is seen as unreasonable.

I hope that you are really aware of what I'm trying to say there. As earlier alluded to - I like the vast majority of your contributions - so I hope you are able to read between the lines in that final contribution to my last post. It is not a statement made lightly and if there was more flesh on the bone to it - it would probably get me banned.

You haven't insulted me or made any digs. It's a conversation.. No need to read between the lines. You're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I has having the craic with some let's say some 'country man' in my local dive one evening. To be fair to him he was a bit bit drunk (and I can't think why'd you be in that dive sober) but he was clear I was gay. My affectations come out when I'm drunk. Anyway he said, rather seriously, why don't we have straight pride? So I said to him simply - go ahead have it, I don't mind.

This is why I have to put my phone away after a few pints.

I'll get back to you with a more coherent response later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s a pity your dispute resolution quest was cancelled. Though an expected outcome.

It’s rare to hear reasonable opinions on these threads, so fair shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

The view that we do not need pride I personally feel comes from a place of those whom had a very comfortable life with coming out or otherwise. Privelege is a load of bollix, I dont believe in that however people whom have never experienced what comes with societal judgemental attitudes are themselves not well positioned to drive why Pride matters to a lot of us and to those that are invisible.

At 18 I intended to take my own life one day after work, I had been feeling a storm brewing inside me for years and it all came ahead one evening. In school I was unmercilessly bullied for my weight that lead to my own head being in a bad place. At 15 I fell in love with a lad in my class. Nothing could explain why I felt this way. I didnt know about homosexuality or the ins and outs of sex at that age. I knew what my parents had told me. School never ever discussed this. That night I just told my parents everything, I had major issues which I needed to solve. I decided to go to college and I didnt look back, failed but that was not the point as it was what lead to the world opening up to me and seeing that there were other people like me and everyone else around me. I did hold the same attitude as a lot of people, I thought Pride was pointless, drivel and why did we need it but over the years I learnt that its a life line for a lot of us, it gives us visibility and lets those know, like 15 year old me that I am not alone as others out there are like me, and there are bi, trans and the rest of the rainbow spectrum.

Fast forward nearly twenty years and the experiences I had have truly shaped my attitude and impression of Pride. Throughout this thread are countless posts and others detailing that men in arseless chaps is not a view that children should be seeing or families. Nowt is said though about the images that are pushed at young people today from ads with scantily clad model to music videos and all that in between, when you raise this as a topic its accused of being a red herring however all of that it is not, there is a double standard at play. Not once do we complain about the imagery pushed into our faces but if this is an issue then perhaps we should push to become puritans, ban dancing on a Sunday and bring back the holy hour? Maybe those deriding the community might want Father Smith back to dish out the holy communion so we can be the holiest of the holy ?

Last year I met a guy who after sex (shock horror) was chatting about his 'friend'. This guy was a closeted 40 something year old and did not want to be that way. Every time he had sex with a man he said he felt a sense of shame. That shame caused mental health issues as he fought against who he was at his core. He had two kids in their early teens and didnt want them growing up gay. After talking he spoke about is friend for years that he would go camping with (excuse the pun), holidays, fishing etc. All very broke back mountain but he spoke of wanting to spend more and more time with the guy who he admitted he had some sort of love for. The man wouldnt leave his wife for him. That sense of shame is what runs opposite to Pride, its when people come out of the starting traps and proclaim that Pride is not needed as it reinforces the images and stereotypes or the inapproprateness - ever think that this might be because the negative attitudes from people who are anti Pride do that? Wouldnt it be more productive to just roll your eyes, rattle your rosary beads and go home and clutch your pearls with whatever level of faux indignation you claim to have? There is also the guy from the sports club, his partner died and he decided to top himself over it. The worst of them all for me was the guy in the UK from Ireland. He was married for years, the kids grew up and the wife died. His partner was from the country and he was too. He lived with his friend for years as the family knew it yet when his male partner died of natural causes, he came back to the funeral and had to keep a 'straight face' to grieve for his partner as no one knew. All of these come from working in the sector on a voluntary basis and hearing the stories.

Im not surprised by the level of gays that seem to be anti Pride themselves, that was me again at one point in life. And there is an expression, nothing is worse than a reformed sinner. We do get it that you do not like pride but for most of us in the community, you are really an anomaly that crops up once a year, we smile politely and then tell you to pipe down. If you can truly say that you were never oppressed or trodden down due to who you are then I salute you as you have come out of this all very unscathed.

So you wonder why we need Pride..I hope you have reason enougn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Now thats some sharp contrast 😯 practically black and white

Im not surprised by the level of gays that seem to be anti Pride themselves

Who is anti-Pride though? I can't really recall anyone who would fit in with that. Being critical of the event, and what it has become, is not the same as being anti. I've never liked this attitude of "you're either with us or against us".. because it fails to recognise the need for positive change within any movement, organisation, or whatever.

We do get it that you do not like pride but for most of us in the community, you are really an anomaly that crops up once a year, we smile politely and then tell you to pipe down.

Who are you directing this at?

So you wonder why we need Pride..I hope you have reason enougn

Oh, I have a variety of reasons, many of whom are still relevant to modern Ireland... but I also have a lot that have lost some meaning, and frankly should be allowed to disappear.

It's an interesting post. I can sympathise with many of your points, having experienced some of them myself. However.. I do wonder at the future place of Pride, in a country where LGBQ have been fully accepted (I don't think we're there yet). What is it then? Simply a celebration of being LGBTQ? It might become something redundant, and just another tourist/commercial activity. (I do think it still has value now, but later? I dunno)

I don't know how to begin this response but genuinely thanks for it.

I was one of the posters who said "I don't understand the need for pride". And in my simple head, I still don't. Perhaps I'm just one of the people who don't care about sexuality, but your post explains what you felt as an individual. That is eye opening. Potentially the community at the time. I don't know.

But on the flipside of that is, for me at least and I can only speak for myself, is that I have seen some posters trying to almost separate themselves from being the mainstream. I just don't get it. As in we're all irish.

I appreciate all the posts of individual experience as it grants me knowledge and I can relate, not being emphatic though...as I can't. I have changed my opinion on the need for it to certain extent (but that's my own mind set).

As for the slagging you got for your weight, that's nothing to do with pride. I got the same, but on the opposite end of the scale.

Privilege, 110% agree with you. Can't see through other people's eyes or know what goes in their mind or life.

Tldr: thanks for your post and illuminated some aspects I didn't think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Society evolves over time though.

What were attitudes like in Ireland in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I would say tolerant, it’s just nobody really put it to us before but regarding societies - limitations; at what point might one devolve? It’s common knowledge in scaling the peak if your visor is clouded you may go beyond and fall right off that sheer cliff face.

• Advertisement

“ramming homosexuality down the throats”

Have you ever experienced in your day to day real life a homosexual ramming it down your throat or is it an entirely online phenomenon?

I would say tolerant

Whereas I'd say that Irish society was well behind other European countries until the early 00s. Not tolerant at all, beyond the soundbites. However, Ireland, once it started to embrace the idea of homosexuality being acceptable, jumped on to it quicker than anywhere else... remarkable change in such a short period... but before that? Not good. At all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there's the sneering xenophobia. In other threads, we'll see faux concern for LGBT people used to mask this. It's pathetically transparent and even if it weren't, comments like this would have given your sad little game away because you had to get your snide comment in.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered it was closed. I wasn't looking for a fiery back and forth. All I wanted was to put my view across and I'm glad I had an opportunity to do so and equally glad the thread wasn't deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

not initially, but if they eventually join the European Union it'll grow, just compare all the eastern European Union member states to their neighbors. They all have a good 10-20% higher then any of the Balkan or other eastern European states that are not EU members, with the exception of Bulgaria which is still higher but only by 3-5%. And it'll hopefully continue to grow.

I don't see how you could class that as xenophobic?

What makes it xenophobic?

Apparently being concerned that immigration may immigrate bad ideas into a country is xenophobic.

Polling shows that Islamic countries are overwhelmingly in favour of criminalising homosexuality. Clearly, then, mass immigration from these countries brings these ideas into the host country. The ideas don't evaporate into thin air once a visa has been granted.

When was the last time we saw a gay pride parade in Somalia?

It's not xenophobic at all; it's the stark reality that hatred towards gay people is prevalent in many countries across the planet, most notably in Islamic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I remember ages ago coming across surveys done in the UK where they examined attitudes towards things like homosexuality and found certain groups were less accepting then others. Peoples bring their values with them when they emigrate and they pass those values onto their children.

True, 50 percent of UK Muslims believe that homosexuality should be illegal. Not "unacceptable", but illegal.

What happened to assimilation and we'll change their views, and all that kind of waffle?

• Advertisement

Polling shows that Islamic countries are overwhelmingly in favour of criminalising homosexuality. Clearly, then, mass immigration from these countries brings these ideas into the host country. The ideas don't evaporate into thin air once a visa has been granted.

Polls in the UK and France of Muslims show an extremely high percentage of them retain their views on many issues, including LGBTQ, after living in western nations, but also that 2nd/3rd generations, tend to (obviously enough) match many of the views of their parents. After all, it is their religion that is anti-LGBTQ so the conditioning and reinforcement of traditional views continues.

Modern western policy on immigration is not concerned with assimilation. There is no interest in imparting the culture and values of western nations on to those who immigrate here. Rather, they are encouraged to keep their own culture and traditions... and the world outside of western nations is overwhelmingly anti-LGBTQ.

The cries of xenophobia is a way of stifling debate because those so interested in diversity and immigration, don't want to face just how weak their own position is. I fully expect ancapailldorcha not to justify or argue his claim. Would love to be proven wrong on this, but I doubt that I will be.

Advertisement