Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

ok so if the wind is wrong for 10R or 28L nothing can get in or out ? ACDM had 6 jets waiting with engines turning on taxiways Wednesday evening and lord knows how many more waiting for the word.

Perhaps I am wrong but by your statement a 2nd runway brings no benefit to this situation as there will be no point taking off at all until ACDM says to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Dual runway ops generally only works in the early morning departure rush but I'm surprised they aren't using it. It wouldn't work later in the day as it would completely block aircraft getting in and out of T2. Not to mention 34 intersection departures are extremely performance limiting and any aircraft going further than the UK would be unlikely to be able to use it.

The second runway will be a huge help subject to ATC using both correctly which I'm not entirely convinced they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The 34 intersection departures or lining up to 34 from 28 were very useful for the short UK hops to MAM, BHX, LBA, LPL, EDI, GLA etc of which there are very many first thing between FR EI and the now Emerald.

When the dual ops were working it was a great sight to behold early in the morning getting the first wave out promptly. Very little delays. A very useful tool that other airports would avail of if they had such an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Took this on ei352 to munich Tuesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭thomil

Please tell me that it was only the camera that was upside down 😉

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

They can’t use it because it isn’t available. It’s effectively closed till next March/April while they build taxiways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The taxiways including the 16/34 crossing have been built for ages now.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I think there’s a link earlier in this thread to daa saying it will be operational in the autumn.

They are building a new taxiway from DN/C/DS on to 16/34, as I said in a previous post.

Conversation is about 16/34 availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought you meant 10L/28R

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Given there will now be two runways, does that mean we should expect a reduction in traffic for the existing runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would have thought that my post answered that quite clearly?

Not quite. For example will the new runway being with it so much extra traffic that there is no difference to the number of flights over the current flight path or will we see a reduction of numbers overall to the existing flight path?

OK, firstly that depends upon which flight path you are referring to.

But. leaving aside the planning restriction over the night time operations, which is currently under appeal:

In simple terms, one runway will be primarily be for landings, the other for take offs, rather than one for both. That means that there will notionally be the capability for greater numbers of landings and take offs.

So, with a normal wind prevailing from the southwest, the landings will be on the existing runway - that means that runway could cope with far more landings using the current flight path, and the takeoffs will be on the new runway, which will mean that the flight path west of the airport from the existing runway will see far fewer flights, as they will be further north.

If the wind is from the east, then the reverse applies, the flight path to the east from the existing runway could see more movements, while the flight path from the west will see fewer numbers coming in to land as the aircraft will use the approach to the new north runway.

Now it is one thing saying that the airfield can cope with more landings and takeoffs, it is another saying that the airport as a whole can cope with more movements. That's dependent on aircraft stand availability, terminal capacity, staffing levels etc. At peak times pre-Covid there were times where no stands were available and that caused backlogs.

But as a general comment, I would certainly be expecting airport movements to increase with the opening of the new runway, but given Covid and everything else, it will be a slow and gradual increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So if I read that correctly can I assume that in wind from the west situations the landings will be on the southern r/w

and take offs from the northern r/w.

wind from the east will have takeoffs on the southern r/w and landings on the northern r/w.

This would be of interest to folk living in the Malahide Portmarnock BLdoyle areas?

Quite so, but there may be exceptions of course - but the planning permission requires that to be the normal operating procedure.

None of this is new information and has been posted here several times over?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

I would hope that on days where 10R/10L are in use that they will permit at least some departures from 10L. On a wet day on 10R the likes of the A321LR (and in the not too distant future the XLR which could be up to 4t heavier) may struggle with takeoff performance. It would be unfortunate if the longer runway is strictly only for landings when the airfield is in an easterly configuration. I'm not sure if the Cathay Pacific A350 ever had performance issues from 10R/28L when they were flying here before C-19 but if they did, carriers like these would be dismayed at not being allowed to depart from the longer runway once its open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reelingtheyearsin

Also for the foreseeable future both runways will only be in use for 2 hours, the other 22 hours will still be single runway ops.

Thanks for that. Am I right in saying then that it's BAU on south r/w for landings from the east but an uptick in activity when it's take-offs towards the east, even before increased capacity is taken into account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

A359 can get off a wet 28L/10R at MTOW on an ICAO standard day using TOGA.

But yes one would hope the West Coast A330s and other performance limited aircraft can use the full length of the new runways when required, to do so increases safety and reduces environmental impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The DAA website has a whole section on the new runway, as has been referenced here before also.

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/north-runway/about/frequently-asked-questions

I am really struggling here with what you do not understand. I've put in VERY simple English. I shall try again:

Assuming absolutely no change in the number of airfield movements overall, then :

When the wind is coming from the west:

• Aircraft landings, which would be from the east, will remain primarily on the existing south runway as now.
    • Aircraft take offs, which would be towards the west, will be primarily on the new north runway (Switched away from the existing south runway)

When the wind is coming from the east:

• Aircraft landings, which would be from the west, will be primarily on the new north runway (Switched away from the existing south runway)
    • Aircraft take offs, which would be towards the east, will remain primarily on the existing south runway as now.

Read the link that EchoIndia has posted.

Assuming no change in overall movements at the airfield is unrealistic I would suggest - over time they will increase.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

I cannot find any info on the 2 hours per day 0900-1100 times mentioned up-thread when both runways will be open. Has anyone a link or is it just insider knowledge

Not a chance under normal operations. The only exception during normal operations would be for an A380. This is strictly part of the planning permission for the runway which the DAA are appealing.

Won’t be allowed in the planning permission.

The latter. The airport is currently a mess (no hsit Sherlock) and this is the best that can be done to get it open in time before the planning permission runs out.

I'm sorry - perhaps you are answering a different question ?

Thanks.

And also...

Relax. Its just the internet.

• Advertisement

Sorry I hit reply rather than quote.

The 2 hours info is internal information and not in the public sphere so no link.

Advertisement