Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Derp... That is essentially what this thread is for. Why not gtfo and go to a relevant thread for your bullshit? It's clearly not relevant to this thread. The difficulties you seem to have understanding things must follow you around a lot.. Must be also related to the reasons for re-regging... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The NYT had a good article yesterday. With the price of btc at just over $20,000, around half of all Bitcoin wallets were still sitting on profits. 61 percent of the addresses had not sold in the last 12 months, showing that many people bought into it to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is it not the case that many people, and I assume many recent retail buyers, would buy on an exchange or through some app and leave the bitcoin in the exchange's wallet and just have a balance in their account manged by the exchange? So that there would not be an actual transaction mined until they specifically moved it into their own wallet?

Obviously I'm not talking about all the self-made crypto-millionaire experts on here. But the beginners.

Also, people could have more than one wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Look if you have a problem with me then go report me. Otherwise please stop your snide personal digs.

Its a free forum and not your decision who posts what and where.

Go report me if you have problems.

Please stop derailing the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yip the vast majority that bought in are doing good. Those that bought in the last 6 months just need to hold tight. Everyone that just holds ends up in profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Yeah thats the magic of Ponzi schemes. Perception becomes distorted so decision making is also distorted among the coin bros

.-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Just bought a bit more Bitcoin, like I’ve been doing every Saturday. Money I consider lost the minute I invest. Won’t be touching it for years. If it goes to zero I won’t care. And if it ever gets too a point where I worry about it I’ll probably stop DCAing and sit on it.

There’s absolutely no chance I’d invest any significant percentage of my worth into it. Feel sorry for people who have most of their money in it. You’d want to be mental IMO. I believe it will succeed eventually but there’s always risk.

That is the best approach, keep tipping in and don't worry about the price.

For a lot of people their life savings are going to be under a grand. They are taking a punt that they might get a break and get out of the debt cycle. Now I'd recommend them spending €80 on YNAB and work on building up to a 6 month buffer before ever investing in bitcoin. But they are kinda taking a hail Mary punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not tempted to buy yet, flash crashes like this are good for quick flips but the spark isn't there for any sort of reversal, too much negative news, and the economy is on the brink of a massive recession. As I said I'll be interested in buying again if Bitcoin goes below 10k and I won't be buying Bitcoin, more money to be made on altcoins that survive the bear. I want the 100x, not the 5x that BTC offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The discussion for this thread has long been derailed, and it wasn't by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When ETH gets to $100 I might be tempted to buy some next weekend

if it’s under a dollar it’s worth a punt. Pure gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Ozark707

BTC just gone through $18k

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

I wonder has the Car salesman offloaded all his Bitcoin. No fear he'll give us a tweet when it's complete

Major dump on now. Like a bad dose of the stinky runs after a dodgy prawn vindaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Any word on that big dip earlier today, seemed very sudden. Was it a big sale or what? I wonder if the markets on Monday will see anything similar.

Beverly Hills, California

Possibly a few more hedge funds being scrutinised after 3AC. Wouldn't be that hard for contagion to kick in

So are you saying it is a Ponzi scheme or you don’t recognise it as such yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Super excited , diamond hard!

As i have been telling you all for years LINK is the key to it all

ETH staking is 4%, all the ETH locked up and cant be unstaked until POS launch, price dumping hard, why you may ask?

LINK staking coming this year, rewards unlike every other shitcoin will not be starting high to get people to hold but will be starting low and INCREASING over time as LINK grows

The low starting rewards are 5%, this will increase!

BTC has no staking, ETH rewards are lower, BTC & ETH maxis are starting to twig they went all in on the wrong horse

Think i am in the wrong? Check the price since LINK staking rewards announced, LINK gaining big against BTC & ETH in the last month

ETH staking rewards will reduce as more ETH is staked, the opposite of LINK where the rewards will INCREASE the more that is staked

ETH is $1,057 while the trapped staked ETH is has depegged and is now worth $990.97

Some Whales have billions of staked ETH that is losing value, other Whales know this and are trying to wipe them out

Going to be a huge second half of the year for LINK, every year since launch LINK has set a new ATH, i expect the same this year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I was looking for something that will INCREASE and this looks to be the absolute PERFECT investment opportunity!

Question for you there diamond hard dirk. Are there any "trusted" services out there that allow owners of tokens to stake their tokens, but to later "sell" them also while they are staked up.

I mean synthetically of course. And it would be inherently risky, as you'd presumably have to transfer the tokens to the intermediary at the start, but I was wondering whether it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

With you on link . Lots of blockchains using the chainlink oracle network . Picked up a nice bit a while back around the 5 euro mark. Won't be staking myself but will hold for the longterm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Cyroptcurrecies boomed during QE. Now QE is being undone and interest rates will rise will we see cyroptcurrecies collapse?

Many people argued that most of QE did not really make its way into the real economy and mainly send asset prices up. One of the biggest gainers being cyroptcurrecies. It will be very interesting to see how cyroptcurrecies will handle high interest rate environments.

One of the selling pionts of cyroptcurrecies is that they're not centralised but i think that is actually their big problem why they will never take over from money. People need some sort of price stability and unless you got a centralised currency nobody can control its value. Bitcoin has lost 66% of it value since October. Money has lost 8% in last year through inflation and that is the highest it has been for 38 years and people are going crazy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

We are taking other people's money, that's the process. It's a giant zero sum game. Thankfully, so far, every few years, an even larger new wave of investors piles in, and the last bunch of "investors" makes money off them.

This latest wave are either waiting to make money off another larger wave in the future or selling at a loss.

Everyone that just holds ends up in profit.

So far. Only as long as exponentially more investors enter in new bull runs.

House prices only go up as long as there is another group of investors coming behind willing to pay more for it.

Shares go up as long as there is another groups of investors willing to pay more for it.

Out side of maybe government backed bonds. Most investments only go up when someone else is willing to pay more for it.

well it’s a bit late for you to be now admitting it’s a Ponzi scheme tbf

The basic point that appears to be escaping your analysis is that there is usually some reason for share price movement. If you own 1% of a company's shares, then you own 1% of that company's assets/liabilities/cashflows/etc. The company will be producing something and/or developing something that will bring in revenue. As was mentioned previously, there will also be an intrinsic value. If a company's share price hypothetically went to almost zero tomorrow, the shareholders can wind it up and, for example, sell off all its assets and share the proceeds after paying off all debts.

People are (usually) not just piling into a particular share because of a meme.

You can get into penny stocks if you want. Those might be the closest in terms of stocks.

When all others are fearful be brave. Serious gain made today.

Nice little relief rally. Good chance it dips again and I can scoop up some more bargains.

• Advertisement

But you admitted it’s more or less a Ponzi scheme at this stage?

Advertisement