Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old shoots father

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The two year old shooting their father isn't strictly a gun control issue. What additional laws would have prevented this? Even a gun ban probably wouldn't have stopped this as the parents were already banned from having guns.

I mean there are already laws in place that would have prevented that shooting if they had been followed.

1. The parents were felons and weren't legally allowed to have a gun.
    2. There are laws about securing a firearm so that a child can't get access to the gun.

Two illegal acts by the mother and/or father led to the father getting shot. You could put in place whatever new laws you like and it wouldn't have stopped that shooting.

I think the poster didn't read the story properly and thought the kid might have been 12 maybe instead of 2.

I've been thinking about how a 2 year old could have fired the gun. They wouldn't be able to pick it up, point and pull the trigger, their fingers wouldn't even be long enough, but they'd probably be able to sit down and have it on their lap with their legs supporting the weight and then be able to pull the trigger. Something like this.

Lucky the kid didn't shoot themselves. Absolute negligence on the part of the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah but there are a couple major reasons why children don't shoot people with handguns in Ireland. Gun-for-fun culture, general societal danger and prevalence of guns.

I think this kind of thing is just something Americans seem fine with happening in exchange for the the gun culture and prvalence of guns. And they don't seem at all interested in addressing any of the 3 factors. Just leave them to it. They like to play with guns and lots of people get shot. It's not a difficult correlation to figure out.

I don't have strong opinions on what they donwithntheir gun laws. I just wouldn't want anyone their culture getting in over here. And I don't see any silly gun laws being proposed here so Americans shooting each other isn't a really problem for them or us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And I don't see any silly gun laws being proposed here

In Ireland?

You need to hop over to the shooting forum, and see if that's a universally held opinion.

Yeah but it's not just yanks and gun nuts who can't see the simple truth and it's not just on guns. There are people who'll argue that reducing numbers of guns wouldn't have much effect. And yeah, it would take a while to have an effect. Unfortunately though we're so used to such bullshit arguments on both sides that people cling to what they want to believe. Like how for a couple of decades we've been hearing about the need to reform drug laws because they're not a deterrent. Anyone got any numbers on weed consumption post-legalisation? 🤣 Yet to suggest that having it illegal did reduce demand would have you treated like a prohibitionist from 100 years ago. Same with the guns, clearly a nonsense argument but people are gonna stick with what they want.

• Advertisement

Well, I don't see it as a hot topic in legislative terms. Is it a hot topic in parliamentary committees and am i missing it?

As long as we don't try to replicate the silly gun laws in Ireland then I don't mind what the gun forum say or how the Americans want to kill each other.

Yep, you are missing it.

There's an upcoming review of Ireland's firearms laws currently under way. There's a committee or two looking at it. One such committee is the newly formed Firearms Expert Committee. From a law abiding shooters point of view, all that's missing is the K.

What will happen is that action will be taken that will impact law abiding gun owners and it won't do jack sh1t to prevent crime.

We don't need guns in Ireland.

They might be necessary in a country where society has broken down in some ways, has a massive crime rate and most people in prison per population. But we don't need any of their gun culture in Ireland. Americans choosing not to act on their gun deaths is their choice. If they're happier with the situation they havel where guns are so prevalent that 2 year old shoot parents and each other, than any alternative, then leave them to it.

I'll argue that we do need guns in Ireland. For things like vermin control, target shooting and hunting. We aren't allowed guns for self defence, and I'm ok with that here.

We don't have their gun culture over here in Ireland. We never will. Different countries, different cultures.

Yeah if people need guns for vermin control then they can go through the procedures.

Probably depends on what me mean by 'need' though. My BIL has a shotgun and a rifle for vermin control. He had about 10 chickens out the back and got those guns to protect them. Never managed to shoot a fox in the 10 years he had the guns. He sold the guns when he had children as he didn't want guns in the house with children. Did he 'need' guns for vermin control? it's debatable in a technical sense. I truth he had the guns for a few years for the craic.

Maybe some people genuinely need guns and I've no problem with it being a strict process with the need to demonstrate reasons to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love guns. I love holding them, the feel of them, the smell of WD40+gunpowder is heaven scent, the power of some of them. FCA/RDF solidified my view. The difference between handguns up to rifles, SMG's, LMG's, and a couple of times helping to load/fire a BOFOR 40mm. Each of them has a very different feeling and gives you different feedback.

But I 100% agree with the current gun legislation and don't want it changed to make it easier for people to get guns. I respect them. I practice gun safety. When my mate and I go off clay shooting, safety is always number 1. We were both in the RDF and they do drill the safety into you. I don't trust the rest of the population to be as safe around guns. Gun laws in Ireland are perfect right now.

They are far from perfect but I'm ok with them in general.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Averaging one a day. It could have a regular slot on the news between the sports and the weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ain't nowhere you can buy a gun for 10 chickens.

He said he needed it for vermin control and hunting. Got a farmer to sign-off that he could use his land for hunting. Bob's yer uncle. In truth he got the guns for little more than the craic and maybe shoot a fox who killed his chicken in the past - but he didn't write either "craic" or "10 chickens" on the forms. There were almost no checks.

Advertisement