Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Doesn't that show how bitter a minority of people are that trans people exist that they even texted in to give out to RTE for having a trans man on.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That suggest's RTE is an 'empty mind' waiting to be programmed by whomever wants to control it for their own interests.

No, I said that they're hooked up to our politicians/government.. so, they'll help whoever the crowd (that manages their funding) decides is worth helping..

And I don't think they're an empty mind. They're still humans with their own individual circumstances, biases, etc. But the organisation/group is biased and far too interested in prestige/status..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

That was a very long post you are responding to, so which part is "that"?

It sounds like yet another of your bot responses, ignoring the details and saying again and again that anyone who disagrees on any point of your ideology is denying that "trans people" exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s good that this has been cancelled - but whoever led the call for this inquiry within the oireachtas should face some repercussions for jumping straight up looking for political points rather than reviewing the issue to see if it was needed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I'd imagine it's the bit about yesterday's brendan o Connor interview with the tik tok guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

All in line with the hysterical "genocide" narrative too. People don't want them to exist, so naturally those people will want to get rid of them eventually. They are honestly turning into the most hysterical group I've came across in my life, and that's saying something, considering that hysteria is political currency to many modern movements.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Flogging a dead horse, yet again.

Nobody is bitter about the "existence" of trans- people. Nobody, not one person on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are BAI complaints about it so they won't interfere. There was no great downside to them asking RTE in for a chat anyway. Most people would see it as nonsense and for those who don't it shows politicians have a caring side.

Brendan O'Connor is now in the firing line of trans activists.

O'Connor has been accused of "trans washing" the Dublin Pride controversy for having the temerity of having a trans guest on his show.

So on the one hand, we have people arguing that trans- people's "existence" is under threat (somehow), yet they simultaneously complain when they're on prominent airwaves of this country. You can't have it both ways.

Even the trans guest confirmed that their appearance was already scheduled before the Dublin Pride controversy had even exploded.

But facts and evidence don't matter to certain activists, it seems. What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Labour was involved, can't remember who else. Just an other example of hopping on a bandwagon and hoping to get the LGBT vote next time around. All in all, this whole fiasco has been a joy to behold. They screwed up badly, NGO's thought they could do what they wanted and bully all detractors around them. They got too comfortable controlling the narrative and playing people as victims. What we've seen in the past week is absolutely shameful hateful abuse and calls for violence and it's come from the PRIDE side and it's trans supporters. This must have shocked them to the core.

The rhetoric and hate coming out of all of this is shocking. I didn't realise that PRIDE was an NGO, like many people I just assumed it was a committee. It's been an eyeopener. I think most people in Ireland don't really give a damn about trans one way or the other. It's not something that affects them so they don't think about it. Trans issues have been given way too much attention. Time to move on, NGO's will always overstate things to keep the money coming in. If there's no real need for them the money dries up and they're out of work.

• Advertisement

But facts and evidence don't matter to certain activists, it seems. What a surprise.

Most of the so-called engagement on this is through the constant militant foghorn activism of social media, a lot of which brooks absolutely no alternatives and degenerates into aggressive personal abuse and sloganizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It wasn't asking them in for a chat. It was them being seen to haul in RTE to explain allowing a conversation on trans issues to take place. There was no justification for it. It was an attempt to try to shame the State broadcaster for allowing public debate on a sacred cow issue. The problem with trans issues is that it's built on sand. Once you discredit one thing it all falls apart, that's why there's usually no debate allowed on it. It was an attempt to make it look like RTE were out of line, they weren't and while I don't have any respect for RTE I'm glad that they stood their ground on this, although I won't expect them to allow any debate on it again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Commentator on RTE Brendan O'Connor could not have sounded more terrified when asked to present the RTE v PRIDE debate. All he had was "Those articles are there if people want to go and read them!". Brendan then quickly wraps up the section with an ad break. LOL.

The 99% are not allowed to voice an opinion on this issue. Just shows how important this is to certain segments - and we all know it's not because they in any way care about T people. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What part of pretending to be victimised do you enjoy the most?

Post edited by Rothko on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Sunday Indo published Eilis O'Hanlon's criticism of trans-rights activists today.

The Indo's decision to publish articles written by Louise McSharry and Ellen Coyne is not necessarily endorsement of the points made in those articles. After all, the Indo has also published articles written by Stella O'Malley and also a review of Abigail Shrier's book on the subject.

Good on her for fighting for women's rights and freedom of speech.

There needs to be more of this kind of sensible, reasoned, and measured pushback. This will contrast heavily against some in the trans activist movement who tend to be animated by a toxic alloy of anger, hysteria, dogmatism, censoriousness, self-pity, and anti-scientific hogwash.

Transgender activists are using public money to radically reshape society behind the scenes while trying to silence all dissent

The idea that race is immutable and gender a matter of choice is merely an article of faith, but we are being asked to accept it as fact or be pilloried for promoting hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

The both of you are so biased its impossible to have any sort of meaningful discussion because you're incapable of having an open mind. Are you even reading the thread or just the posts you agree with? If you're unable to change your perspective then this whole debate is utterly pointless

People on both sides of a debate, especially a contentious and charged debate, rarely change their minds or, when they do, it's on tiny, fringe matters.

But what matters more is that these debates exist online and through the media so that viewers and the audience at large can get the information for themselves, and make their own minds up, rather than having these debates hidden where nobody can even know or think about what's going on.

No participant on either side of the Liveline debates changed their mind; but what was more important is that the listeners were exposed to both sides of an argument and what was happening on this issue.

That's why Dublin Pride scored a massive own goal. Had they just kept their mouths shut, this issue would never even really have been discussed. Now everyone knows about it, and knows how hysterical Dublin Pride reacted and the censorious, dogmatic, and angry nature of trans activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Apologies, I'm unable to edit certain parts of comments but wanted to highlight that last part which is significant as there cant be any progression without change.

More generally I love when people make points as if history never happened. Get some **** creep doctor and psychiatrist to sign off on something and that's proof that it's fine, they're medical professionals, right? Yeah, because doctors and psychologists have always been above politics throughout history and the world. 😂 A doctor and several other medical professionals did that cat-person's surgeries, they're not some god-like beyond reproach grouping.

And yeah, same **** in the media. I think I've said on this thread already that if you're cynical and look at the world with the view that while a lot of people care about their job very, very few care about their work then how the world works from the day-to-day right up makes a huge amount more sense. RTE keep their heads down, do what they're told and they go home in the evening after work.

• Advertisement

Committees invite people all the time, it's a fairly important part of our political process and policy development. It's really no big deal at all and even you or I could be invited if a committee felt we had useful input to share. This one might have some influence over RTE but apart from PAC none of the rest are all that scary and are generally fairly civilised exchanges of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I honestly could care less about this. I've zero idea what happened and dont care. always someone offended by nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

appaently if we dont smother the general public with this kind of thing it will lead to another holocaust or some crap🤨

I was in a library yesterday, the entire front section was dedicated to lgbt issues. like with the Ukraine, global warming etc. give us a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Some of the doctor's in the below trailer/movie really opened my eyes to your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there a link to the RTE liveline discussion that caused this?

Here's one of the Liveline debates:

Anyone who listens to this debate, or even just a part of it, won't find any example of transphobia and especially not "hate" of trans people.

It's a fair, well-moderated, mature debate on the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't understand this. Do you want an echo chamber where everyone agrees or something?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The problem is that the content of your responses is not to engage with arguments against your position, but rather to repeatedly ignore these arguments in lieu of some slogan or reference to transphobia or "vile bigots".

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

starts getting spicy around 19:00 for those wanting to get right to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

At least OEJ puts some effort into his/her posts, as odd as some of them are, you never do though. Literally all you do is insult people, which adds nothing of worth to the discussion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement