Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Listening to EIDW ATC

”Wind 070 6kts, runway 28L cleared to land”.

I get that this is a very light wind and probably negligible tailwind, but would they not switch to RWY10R. What would be the max tailwind they would tolerate before switching?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Most aircraft have a 10 or 15 knot tailwind limit, the impact of the tailwind is a higher ground speed at touchdown and a longer landing distance, if the aircraft performance is within limits then you can accept the tailwind.

Airports appear to use 5 knots as the changeover limit, in the above case it was 5.2 knots.

Thanks, I through the that it was a NORD something or other.

Had time to google it, i guessing its one of these. But no idea if they were operated by the Tanzanian Air Force,

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Nord-2501F-3-Noratlas/160690

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hard to know for sure from those photos, they're very similar!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

My B747 week, haven’t seen this VIP aircraft moving for at least a year but I don’t actually know who owns it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

strange that no automated internal IT cross check insisted that prior to approval and rubber stamping of the pairing that a ‘computer says no’ didn’t alert those rostering or automatically prevent the roster pairing. 🚨 ….

i would doubt any of the conventions governing the liability and loss for an airline such as Montreal or Warsaw would dismiss the responsibility on Virgin for this shîtshow. People will have been seriously inconvenienced, stressed and out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Not the first. I have heard of at least two similar events in Irish aviation but in both cases, it was discovered before takeoff.

And I know Of an event where it was discovered at the destination.

They were just approved to fly back.

Remember that this isn’t a cadet with no experience, he is a high hour pilot who is trained on the aircraft. He just hadn’t done his final line check ride with an examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Business Post today suggests that easyJet are going to cut their A319 seating to 150 (I imagine actually 149) as the few extra seats no longer pay for a fourth CC.

EI ran their sub-150 seat 319s with four CCs for scheduling reasons I believe, but they were a much smaller element of the fleet. If staff costs go up more we might see more aircraft in the just sub100 and sub150 zones.

Can't really understand U2's love for the 319, airframe stretches are usually successful but shrinkages not so much (most of the cost, most of the weight, for less revenue potential). 320/737-800 seems the optimum size for most short haul airlines.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Found this in Kigili Rwanda, no idea what happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

must have hit a tree or had a birdstrike at low level.

This was doing a loop overhead,10kms to the south out over the coast and back in over Arklow this morning

Are those fuel tanks on the wings ?

What is it,what is it used for?

This morning it was training I presume

It wasn't very high

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Isn't that the plane they use to calibrate/verify the various ILS and transponder beacons dotted around the country?

No idea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

saw an unusual plane fly over the house again heading out into Dublin bay , it was a twin tail vintage 40's-60's looking plane either passenger or transport type. The unusual bit was that it looked like it had Japanese rising sun markings on the wings.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads anyone know good plane spotting viewing areas around Dublin Airport?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ysterplaat Military Museum Cape Town.

Shackleton.

Again.

Thats the Helicopter interior.

SA had a wonderful industry back engineering aircraft, apparently when things changed, everyone who was involved got fined and had to state in writing that they wouldn’t do it again. These days SA has zero aircraft industries for this reason.

• Advertisement

The captain's control yoke on the Shackleton looks odd - like there's a second smaller yoke attached to it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I've also never seen an aircraft that large with separate outboard throttles in the way they are.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

Nose wheel steering control.

Lots of Russian types had similar

Seems much more mechanically complicated than just having one set in the centre. But IIRC the Manchester/Lancaster were designed with just one pilot's station so might be a hangover from that.

There is no center console, it’s an entrance to turn nose section for the gunner and bombarder

Oops, in Sao Tome

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

Thai Airways still have a lot of parked aircraft and the BKK is still rather quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cityjet listed as a creditor for about 4.4m - don't think they can afford to be given a fractional repayment of that.

Advertisement