Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Dafuq? I'm probably one of the most active posters on this thread ya clown. But good on ya, when you've nothing intelligent to discuss back, just attack the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

As long as we are paying off the Pairc Ui Chaoimh debt, then adequately funding the preparation of our intercounty teams will be an issue. We did win a minor and u20 all Ireland double in hurling last year, and we did it in football in 2019 as well. So that suggests that we are doing fine at underage level imo. However financial issues had nothing to do with Hoggie being left on the bench yesterday, it had nothing to do with Cork missing easy frees point and goal chances. It had nothing to do with Cork handing Galway two goals on a plate either!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah but we know a U20's team isn't going to compete, bringing 4/5 of them onto a panel to make an impact is most any team can ever expect and compete at senior. Unfortuantely U20's is a far different game you're competing in.

Galway did win a senior all Ireland five years ago to be fair. They probably have still underachieved though, considering the amount of underage all Ireland they've won in recent years. At minor level in particular Galway have totally cleaned up in the last few years.

I used to think highly of Pat Mulcahy, but he's been part of a management team that are failures, in spite of their best efforts.

• Advertisement

Traditionally Cork do win senior all Irelands, on the back of winning them at underage level.

Pat Ryan is the obvious choice for the job, but giving it to Sully would be a very Cork thing to do! Sully was a legend of a player for us an absolute warrior, but the next manager needs to be from outside the existing management team imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Please tell me this has not been seriously mooted? Sully is as thick as two planks. I've not heard one positive thing he has brought to the table in regards to the Cork setup. Hopefully next year he will be back writing for some rag or doing PaddyPower ads. Great servant but not management material.

I've said previously my pick is Pat Ryan / Wayne Sherlock, although I'm not sure about Ryan as he may have health issues that will prevent him taking on that level of commitment.

Not at all, but as we sadly know we do have an awful habit of picking the wrong man as manager. I wish Pat Ryan all the best if he is having health problems. I'd agree with you about Wayne Sherlock, Ben O'Connor and Fergal Ryan would be some other decent options as well. Ideally all three would make for a good management team i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

You just called me a clown and you are on about me attacking the poster not the post. How ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If you don't know the value of leaders in a competitive team environment, it's pretty obvious you never played.

Cork have failed against opposition they were even with, (Waterford in 17, Limerick in 18, last Saturday etc) when they had the winning of the game.

A strong leader group would look to correct that, primarily through an honest dialogue with themselves and also with management.

If a young Donal Og, Brian Corcoran etc were playing now do you not think they would have got it sorted? Most of that sorting is done off the field.

It's easy blame Kingston etc, but this bunch are missing something which will need key additions to sort.

I thought Cork turned a corner, after that all Ireland semi final win against Kilkenny last year, but i was wrong sadly. We should have seen Kilkenny off in normal time that day as well. Kingston leaving Hoggie on the bench didn't help, but we can't keep relying on Hoggie forever. Thankfully we have hurlers coming through, that have won at underage level. Cork traditionally do win senior all Irelands after winning them at underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Tradition is meaning nothing of late..Limerick think nothing about what Cork won in the seventies..

Sure Cork haven't had a lot of success lately, but at least we have all Irelands to our name that were actually shown on colour tv.😁

De Valera was only three months into his presidency, when Waterford last won the big prize. Anyway we never see you on here when Cork win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny you mention a young Brian Corcoran. He gave most of the 1990s playing in teams that made the current crew look very promising. What exactly was he "leading" then? As for Dónal Óg.......some of his leadership was more trouble for Cork than it was worth. Arguably they are still recovering from the sh1te he stirred. He led bitterness and division. Not sure that helped.

Let's get real here. Cork need to get proper players, All Ireland level players, in several positions. Really technically excellent hurlers rather than some of the ones on display at the weekend overhitting passes and taking stupid pot-shots for goal from point-scoring distances. Ludicrous stuff.

You don't see Tony Kelly or TJ Reid having to roar and shout and berate colleagues to be important players. They function as good hurlers full stop. Cork need to forget about the pseudo management "leadership" codology as if some big mouth is going to make all the difference to Cork. Get good players who can do their job without running around at a hundred miles an hour tippy tappying their way through every game and disappearing when it matters. These are the guys people call leaders. Not some mouth almighty who wants to be the centre of attention.

A team that wins an All Ireland will have 5/6 players who are best in their positions in the country, maybe 8/9 of them in the conversation. Cork don't have one. And they have several more years in the wilderness ahead of them. Blowing on and mansplaining about "leadership" and how if you don't know what it is if you haven't played on a team is just bluster as if you are a cross between Richie McCaw and Martin Luther King yourself. Absolute self-deluding nonsense. Get a few hurlers that don't melt like ice cream when the heat is on. The "leadership" laurels can be awarded after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tldr; you have never been in a competitive team environment dressing room?

If you don't know or can't see Corcoran or Keane's leadership qualities you are pretty clueless.

If it wasn't for people like Donal Og, then 1999, would have been Corks most recent all Ireland in hurling. Inept administration under Frank Murphy and politics/ club bias, have been the cause of Corks problems since 1990. People like Tony Maher were pleading back in the late 80's, for the county board to invest money into the underage coaching at schools level. That last strike was very bitter alright, but once Gerald McCarthy accepted the county boards offer of another term, then trouble was inevitable sadly.

That most recent strike did leave a bitter aftertaste, that took about a decade to get over! The hurlers are in the county, but we need a new manager at senior level to get the best out of them. Kieran Kingston is a very nice man, he's a great Cork hurling man, but as a manager of our senior hurlers he has been pretty poor imo.

That's another part of the Cork delusion to blame Frank Murphy for everything. He didn't strike a single wide last Saturday.

It's not just Frank, the nodding dogs that served with him on that county board were also a part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

It's gas the way you think a Cork hurling team could just rock up, no preparation, no history/ backstory, to a game and win. There's probably 10-15 years worth of training from U6/U8 all the way up to senior gone into making a team. The management team also don't just appear on the scene. That's why the decisions of Frank Murphy and his ilk indirectly affect what happens on the pitch. Did he hit any wides? No. Did he indirectly affect how those players turned into inter county hurlers? Absolutely. Did his financial decisions directly affect how underage club teams receive funding? I don't know because I'm not from Cork but by the sounds of things here, I'd wager another 'absolutely'.

On the leadership argument, leaders are not necessarily the best players (they often are but not always). The Mannions example above is perfect. Leaders are guys who don't let their head go down when things aren't going well, they encourage, organise, put their bodies on the line for tackles, make lung-bursting runs etc. etc. not necessarily score the goals, fancy flicks, sidesteps or display super skills. They are the guys who you look up to and respect their opinions, suggestions and directions. You may say that great players shouldn't need any of that (and I say horseshite!). I suppose you think Caroline Currid hasn't made an impact on Limerick and their performances either. The truth is these players are human and a lot of the game is played in the head. That 60 yard pass that goes to hand or the shot from a tight angle going over the bar can all go wrong if the head isn't right: leaders both on and off the pitch ensure the head is in the right place for themselves and all around them.

Gasser still that you expound on what constitutes "leadership" (this is beginning to sound like one of these Sports Leadership seminars) yet if a player cannot hit an accurate 60 yards pass its someone else's fault because his "head isn't right". Probably the fault if some guy on the County board 30 years ago. The culture of excuses would be okay if we weren't being lectured about leadership from the other side of the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

cork have a lot of passengers I think that's fair to say. I hear people talking up some of the cork players and I'm thinking are they for real? for me a major clear out is needed and then if as some here say the players are there let's see them even if that means blooding lads that are too young so be it.

Cork did win an underage all Ireland double last year, so there obviously is something to work with there. I hate singling out names but Conor Lehane for example, i remember at one time thinking that was going to be Corks next superstar forward, but he sadly never did become that star forward.

I think Hoggie still has a few more years left though, and i also think Seamus Harnedy still has something to offer as well. We have to keep on the best of what's there on the current panel. I don't think it's a good idea to throw all of the all Ireland winning u20's in at once.

Mark Landers in the Examiner reckons that this management team is going nowhere. He thinks the plan is to keep Kieran Kingston on for at least another year as part of some sort of "succession plan", where the reigns will then be handed over to Noel Furlong or Pat Mulcahy. Landers say's that this is the talk on the grapevine apparently. Personally myself i think this talk about a "succession plan" is a load of rubbish really. The next manager should be from outside the existing management team.

Tony Considine has had bit of a pop at the players in the Echo, and i fully agree with him. He say's that Cork overdo the short passing rubbish, and that apart from Damian Cahalane and Ciaran Joyce our defence lacks toughness.

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40899146.html

It's happening Eamonn Murphy in the Echo, is hyping up Davy Fitzgerald as possible Cork manager.😂

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40899482.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

A book or documentary on the strikes would be great now, 20 years on since the first one, and with so many of the protagonists still high profile. Maybe some day...

Kieran Kingston has been offered a one year extension as Cork manager.

Apparently the players want him to stay on. I don't think the players should have any say on this matter. If you have multiple all Ireland medals to your name then maybe, but things seem a bit too cosy in that setup imo. A playing group that has been a part of Corks hurlings biggest all Ireland final humiliation in living memory, should be afforded a lot less wriggle room imo.

Mediocrity seems to be placidly accepted in Cork hurling nowadays. No wonder we haven't won the big prize in nearly twenty years. Again nothing personal towards Kieran Kingston here a great Cork hurling man, but to me anyway this decision is baffling. Oh well at least they didn't offer Davy Fitzgerald the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think that’s a stinker of a decision by the county board personally

There hasn’t been any positive progress at all for Cork under Kingston and he’s hardly gonna change things too drastically for next year

Run to the final last year was a handy one for them (final embarrassing where they got shown up big time)

Nice bit of luck to get out of Munster this year with Waterford falling apart (albeit you can only beat what’s in front of you)

Embarrassed against Galway to be honest, and even in victory, it probably would’ve been a tough watch against Limerick in the semi

I think Cork need something completely fresh and it’s needed now. Not sure how fans will react

Advertisement