Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

There is no argument to defend, though, when you think about it.

I think that's the whole point of shutting down debate to begin with.

If the argument can't be won through the means of logic and evidence and reason, all that necessarily remains is censorship and abuse.

Well, this is the danger of using the US as a basis for change. American led psychology is extremely politicalised, and attracts a lot of ideologically driven people (feminists, Marxists, etc), and the American medical industry is heavily tied to their Pharmaceutical industry... Of course they're going to encourage conditions that "require" more dug usage, especially those designed for mental states. All leading to support the Trans issue. Money money money. It's a win win.

100%. Yet pointing out that people will likely act in their own rational self-interest is apparently a slight.

The other trouble is that we're importing ideology wholesale when we don't have anything like the same logistics or safeguards. It takes tiny numbers to effect massive change in a place like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Post reported. You actually got me listen to listen to Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I understand your need to be outraged about this but this might enlighten you about what committees do. I've watched these committees in action from time to time. It's generally soporific but mostly useful stuff. BTW anyone, including you or I, can make a submission to a committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not biased at all, of course 😁

What meaningful discussion do you want to have, exactly? It’s not because I’m incapable of having an open mind that it’s impossible to have a discussion, it’s because I don’t know what you mean by meaningful discussion for starters.

Do you want to start from the point where all people are entitled to be regarded as being of equal status under Irish law, because that’s where I’m starting from. What’s your starting point?

I’m reading the thread, and if I were only reading posts I agree with, I wouldn’t be replying to yours. I’m able to change my perspective; it’s just that so far I have no reason to change my view that all people are entitled to be regarded as being of equal status under Irish law.

If you have a different perspective, then I’m certainly open to giving you a fair hearing, but I don’t want to assume your perspective is that all people are not entitled to be regarded as being of equal status under Irish law, because that’s not the foundation of a meaningful discussion, it’s just a poor position to start with, not least because all you’re doing is arguing that your biases should be regarded as being a legitimate reason to deprive anyone of the same freedoms and rights as yourself.

Do you think anyone should have to entertain someone who thinks that way? I don’t, and I won’t, because that’s not anything like an attempt at meaningful discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I'm not in the slightest bit outraged, but nice try. I feel that you are being disingenuous and I really don't need you to enlighten me on anything. The idea was to haul them in and reprimand them on the issue. That was the entire point and it was only dropped when the public backlash made it too hot to handle. It would have been a huge mistake and they knew it and I think that you know that too.

Accepting the 'invitation' is accepting that there's something to discuss. There's nothing to discuss. For the first time in a long time a subject that is deemed a sacred cow that can't be challenged was discussed and opinions were given from both sides. The abuse didn't come from those who don't support or believe in trans, it came from the PRIDE side which has made this whole issue toxic. It's very refreshing to see PRIDE put back in their box and maybe next time they'll think twice before biting the teat that suckles them. You couldn't even answer my post without insulting and patronising me which is typical of any discussion around trans issues. Attacking the poster, insulting them and hoping to shut down debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again I'm not the poster who's gone on two extended rants about what this committee wanted to do. I really see no issue whatsoever with that at all but if you want to accuse me of a myriad of imaginary things that's your prerogative. You've clearly never seen a committee in action, it's rarely more than tame stuff and you can refuse the invite. Time for me to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but you're literally trolling at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yeah, buy the time those complaints have been dealt with, Dublin pride et al will have moved onto something else to be outraged by and thus it will be forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I believe Teni became very annoyed when the liveline segment discussed trans men competing in women's sports. Thats a touchy subject for them and they would rather not have it enter the consciousness of the public domain. Well I guess its too late for that now now because their fears have come to pass - Lia Thomas banned from competing against women! All born men now banned from female competitive swimming.

Anyone who listens to this debate, or even just a part of it, won't find any example of transphobia and especially not "hate" of trans people.

But people have listened to it, and people have found examples of transphobia and hatred. Should anyone waste their time pointing them out to you when you’ve already demonstrated that you’re not going to bother listening?

I don’t expect anyone should bother wasting their time. I expect that people have better things to be doing. If you don’t see how arguing that people who are transgender shouldn’t be included in sports on teams they want to play on, or referring to a group of people in a way which you know is offensive to them amounts to transphobia and hatred, then of course you’re going to try and pretend that there’s no examples of transphobia or hatred in the clip you posted.

Other people who aren’t you, will have heard the same conversation you did, and interpreted it very differently. For example the questions about insurance and so on, and Joe quipping in with his “but what about insurance for women? 123.ie”, when that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. The coach explained how insurance works, to the woman who was trying to make an issue out of nothing.

That didn’t work so she tried a different angle, maintaining that player safety was an issue, after the coach had already explained that they take player safety seriously and have revised their policies to be inclusive of everyone who wants to participate, regardless of their gender or sex.

STILL not good enough for that woman who wanted to present all sorts of hypothetical scenarios and pretend that these were issues that would prevent anyone who wanted to participate from doing so. Yet the coach who’s running the club, who’s involved in the sport, who deals with the participants and policies every day, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, and the woman who was arguing against their involvement in sport does, based upon her own hypothetical scenarios and made-up issues that aren’t issues?

Why, in your opinion, should anyone entertain that kind of nonsense? Do you honestly think that’s a reasonable expectation of anyone? Do you understand the difference between something already being done, and telling someone else they shouldn’t be doing something because you can come up with all sorts of hypothetical reasons why it’s a bad idea, and anyone should take your warnings seriously even though they have no basis in reality whatsoever?

No, no I don’t think anyone is obligated to take your nonsense seriously. Quite why you imagine anyone should get bogged down in trying to justify themselves to you is beyond me, to be frank, because I can think of no reasonable justification for your thinking that anyone is required to justify themselves to you unless they are impacting you in some personal way, and I don’t think anyone IS actually doing any such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

The likes of TENI will probably now demand all swimming banned from this island, link it to the "proud boys" or some other 4000 miles away based $hite.

What's worse is the jokers we have for politicians on this island will probably take the demand into consideration

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

I wouldn't consider agreeing with the majority that there's some sort of agenda against trans-people as biased. What I don't agree with however is the self entitlement of some individuals who get passive aggressive when someone else has a different opinion to them, which is the point you seem to disagree with and that there is my starting point.

Are we not living in an open democracy where free speech is permitted and not to be silenced in either fear of offense or retribution. In order to move forward we need to debate and if we cant do that we stagnate. What's happening at the moment is not helping either cause, would you agree?

Could you give me some examples that trans-people are not being regarded as being of equal status under Irish law? Also what did you disagree with in the Joe Duffy segment that the majority of people found to be an open and honest debate? I wouldn't consider a biased view as a meaningful discussion. I'm delighted to hear you only assume I would think that way because at the end of the day are we not all human and therefore should be treated any differently?

Post edited by raclle on

If you don’t see how arguing that people who are transgender shouldn’t be included in sports on teams they want to play on.

Your post has many points, so rather than respond to each other with essay-style answers, I thought it best to focus one point at a time.

First, I don't believe it's hateful for biological males not to compete in competitions designed for biological females. This is academic.

For me, gender doesn't even come into the question; as sporting competitions are divided based on sex - irrespective of what any participant thinks about themselves. You've forgotten about non-binary, too. You presumably have no answer to the question of which team an agender person can play in. Can you see how we can let these identity problems spiral out of all control?

Second, nobody is saying that trans- people are denied access to sports. Biological male competitions already exist. As you have already attested, gender and sex are not the same thing. The decision to partake in sport is a conscious choice that people decide for themselves.

Third, you used the phrase "they want to play on". Nobody gets to demand what they want to play on. We aren't babies demanding what we want. Sometimes we cannot get what we want, and maturity tells us to accept these realities - however uncomfortable it may be.

Are any of the above three points hateful towards trans- people? I don't think so, not for a second.

These are reasonable points.

In fact, don't take my word for it. Caitlyn Jenner, a former Olympian herself, agrees with these kinds of points - all of them, in fact. Blaire White, probably the most famous transgender YouTuber, says the same thing. Many trans- women agree with my side of the argument.

Are they filled with hate toward the transgender community, too? Seriously?

So, I think some perspective is in order.

My suggestion is that your side of the argument should park the words hate and transphobia and bigoted, to one side. That way, both sides can come together to have a meaningful conversation on these questions rather than ascending any proverbial high horse to moralise to others about how awful we all apparently are.

I wouldn't consider agreeing with the majority that there's some sort of agenda against trans-people as biased. What I don't agree with however is the self entitlement of some individuals who get passive aggressive when someone else has a different opinion to them, which is the point you seem to disagree with and that there is my starting point. 

I don’t disagree with you on that point at all though. I posted earlier that I rarely encounter assholes, but that’s not based upon their characteristics, it’s based upon their behaviour.

Are we not living in an open democracy where free speech is permitted and not to be silenced in either fear of offense or retribution. In order to move forward we need to debate and if we cant do that we stagnate. What's happening at the moment is not helping either cause, would you not agree?

Not entirely. We live in a representative democracy where freedom of expression is a right afforded to all citizens, but it is a limited right, meaning that nobody has absolute freedom to say whatever they like. I explained the idea of freedom of speech as it applies in Irish law, in this post -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119213820#Comment_119213820

I don’t see any reason why anyone needs to debate anything in order to move forward tbh, people are moving forward without needing to ask for anyone’s permission or approval to do so. The people who are calling for a debate, are generally the people who want to stop people moving forward, they want to pretend that this is new, when people who are transgender have always been part of Irish society - it was just that prior to the Gender Recognition Act in 2015, they had no legal recognition in Irish law. It was because of this, that it took 20 years, three legal battles in the Irish Courts, and finally Ireland being told that they were in violation of European Human Rights standards, before our Government finally introduced the Gender Recognition Act. They didn’t want to, they were forced to, because of prior agreements they had made with Europe which meant they had to uphold their obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights Act of 2003 -

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/act/20/enacted/en/print.html

Could you give me some examples that trans-people are not being regarded as being of equal status under Irish law? This is what I'm referring too about a meaningful discussion. I'm delighted to hear you only I assume I would think that way because at the end of the day are we not all human and therefore should be treated any differently?

Yep, the very Act that kicked off the whole recent furore that really couldn’t be said constituted a “debate”; the Maternity Protection Act 1994 does not extend protection to people who are recognised as male in Irish law (that they hold a gender recognition certificate), when they become pregnant. The proposed amendment to current legislation, is intended to extend this protection to people who are not currently protected by existing legislation -

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/34/enacted/en/html

Extension of maternity leave entitlements to transgender men

The General Scheme proposes to provide for the right of a transgender male who has, in accordance with the Gender Recognition Act 2015, obtained a gender recognition certificate and subsequently becomes pregnant, to fall within the scope of the Maternity Protection Act 1994.

https://www.lewissilkin.com/en/insights/ireland-key-points-from-the-recently-announced-work-life-balance-and-miscellaneous-provisions-bill

There are people who argue that extending this protection to people who are transgender, is an attempt to erase women from Irish legislation, but it’s clearly not doing any such thing. It’s scope is specifically limited to employees who become pregnant, who are entitled to maternity leave, with the effect that they are regarded as being of equal status in Irish law, and entitled to the same protection of their maternity and employment rights under Irish law. It places an obligation on employers to uphold employees rights, as opposed to the idea that it has any impact whatsoever on women or women’s rights -

Once implemented employers will need to review and amend their family and caring leave policies to ensure they are compliant with the new legislation. As with the right to request remote work, we expect the government will issue guidance to employers on how to handle requests for flexible working arrangements and that policies will be required or recommended.

(same source as above)

I include sources and supporting evidence in my posts because prior to doing so, I would post an opinion and it would be followed by a barrage of “Source? Source? Have you a link for that?” type comments, which appeared to be motivated by a desire to stagnate any discussion and bog the discussion down in semantics, arguing over the meaning of words and definitions of language and all the rest of it, as opposed to any attempt to engage in meaningful discussion. Providing sources with my posts just saves everyone the trouble of asking for them, they can read the sources provided for themselves, in their own time.

Rather than responding to your post as if I’m supposed to take it seriously, I’ll just address this one point -

My suggestion is that your side of the argument should park the words hate and transphobia and bigoted, to one side.

I understand why that would be convenient for you, but it’s not going to happen. People are entitled as you are, to point out your convoluted efforts can be boiled down to an attempt to argue that people should conform to your standards, as opposed to you having to recognise that nobody is obligated to give a damn for your opinions. I do so as a courtesy, not as an obligation.

I actually didn't understand one word they said!

• Advertisement

I will also say there are no rules (in the sports I played in) that stop biological females from taking part in a males team (not actually a males team). If they're good enough, you're welcome.

Rather than engage with the real substance of my post - the actual valuable part that answered a point on sport that you made - you decided to talk about how my side of the argument are justified to be labelled as hateful, transphobic, and bigoted etc.

There's a curious consistency, then, between your form of argument and Dublin Pride. In other words, there isn't really a debate to be had. What matters is that one side gets to label the other side as hateful, transphobic, and bigoted, for the temerity of expressing a perfectly reasonable opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, then, my points regarding sport stand. I've answered your point - comprehensively and in detail. People can decide for themselves who they think has the better points.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭greyday

Because females do not have an inherent advantage in mens sports, it doesn't work the other way around which is common sense we are supposed to ignore.

Pretty much exactly!

Tag rugby which I use to play was a great idea. Loads of fun.

For sure, but if a biological female (not a trans- person) wanted to compete in the biological male 100 meters race at the Olympics, what would your reaction be?

Of course she shouldn't be allowed to join! We have standards; and we have a sex-based system of how Olympic sport operates. Even if she demanded that she wanted to do it, we'd have to say no - even if it caused genuine hurt to her. She isn't being admitted not only because of the sex-based division, but because if she were accepted - in the full knowledge she was almost guaranteed to come last every time - she is still taking the place of a biological male who otherwise had trained years to get into that spot. So there's more than one issue at play here.

In other competitions, of course biological males and females can compete alongside one another. For example: I was, before it was popular, a supporter of the idea that men and women should compete alongside each other in darts. It took a long time, but now the PDC has adopted it.

But when we're talking about elite sports - such as Olympic sprints - we must ensure that the highest standards are in place. Sex-based standards of division.

As far as I'm concerned, then, my points regarding sport stand.

There’s a shocker 😂

People can decide for themselves who they think has the better points.

Are you sure now? Do other people have your permission to think for themselves?

It should surely be obvious at this point that regardless of what anyone else thinks or tries to argue, their opinions have no bearing on people who disagree with them who want to include people who are transgender in their organisations and activities, including a sports team which is inclusive of people who are transgender, and doesn’t prohibit anyone from playing on the team and participating in the sport on the basis of their gender, sex or sexual orientation.

You might as well be pissing into the wind as trying to argue that anyone is justified in attempting to deprive other people of their rights, when the rights anyone is afforded exist in Irish law, and conflicts are adjudicated upon through the legal system, not the court of public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

“In a statement this evening, Dublin Pride said it has worked with RTÉ over the past three years "to increase positive representation of LGBTQ+ people on TV, radio and online, and to see the good work of so many people undone is saddening in the extreme and negates much of the efforts made to date".

why should RTE engage with them in this manner ? Increase positive representation ? What’s that mean in tangible terms.. ? Are RTE meant to hire more LGBT people ? Are RTE supposed to broadcast or create more programming aimed at LGBT people ? Or features about them ? it’s quite worrying that a particular cross section of society even get an invite to even have those conversations with RTE managers.

its quite worrying that their above statement doesn’t double down on specifics regarding their relationship and general interactions with RTÉ.

The LGBT community have no entitlement to positive representation from and by RTÉ. Nobody does. RTÉ are Ireland's National Public Service Multi-Media Broadcaster / Organisation…Ireland is a democracy…..therefore it’s counter productive and un-democratic that RTE would accede to anyones demand that any group should be represented positively….

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭greyday

There are standards you have to meet to compete in the olympics, the vast vast majority of women cannot reach the standard set for men in the vast majority of sports, there is no issue with women aspiring to meet those standards and compete if they do, they would have to have reached a standard higher than a man to do so and would deserve their place.

There issue is trans women wanting to compete against biological women as they have an inherent advantage, they can meet the womans standard and will dispose a biological female from taking her rightful place in a completion through their biological advantage of being born male.

Glad your brought up elite sports persons. Agreed.

• Advertisement

Completely agree.

My view over the past few years is that the LGBT community must de-specialise itself - to stop thinking of itself as somehow more important or special than everyone else (especially after gay marriage had passed comprehensively). To get off the high horse; to stop badgering people about these issues.

Otherwise, it will lead to resentment.

Around 10-years ago, I was concerned about the direction of the trans- question. Everyone at the time thought I was being hysterical and deluded. Now look at where we are, with incessant division and invective rhetoric and so forth.

Ordinary, decent LGBT supporting people - which includes the vast majority of the country - will develop a silent hostility to the community if this kind of special treatment, and that is exactly what it is, continues.

As I said in the past, becoming equal means becoming as boring as everyone else - not louder than everyone else.

Perhaps if Dublin Pride and others adopted this more realistic stance, things would not have developed in the way that they have.

Advertisement