Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oscar I find Gonzos posts very informative. The reason they seem depressing is that's usually our actual weather. Low Pressure systems are called depressions.

That rain next weekend may not be as bad as 70mm for the West. Long Range usually over cooks it. However almost every month we get one exceptionally wet day and our wettest in Sligo so far this June is 8mm.

That said even though it's cold it's not up there with our coldest June's coz

Night temperatures are 3c ABOVE normal

Day temperatures are 2.5c BELOW normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This is downright nasty to be honest Oscar. Unacceptable post.

Visited my parents this evening. My mother had the fire on and the heating on. I couldn’t hack it, had to get out ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo posts are not depressing they are facts!

This June has been a disgrace. The wind alone has been unreal never mind anything else.

No we are not Europe but when everywhere else in Europe has a heatwave including England and temperatures here are forecast as up to 28 degrees and then it turns into a damp squid, then people have a right to be annoyed. I was planning a trip to beach on Friday and thanks to Gonzo's updates I realised it wasn't going to happen.

In the end the day was so poor we barely made playground never mind the beach as it rained in Dublin.

The weather has been so bad we have yet to have our first proper ' beach' day and its 19th June. We would usually have gone a few times by now so that's not hyping up the weather and expecting it to be Spain.

100% agree. Sick and tired of farmers, Irish water etc putting in hose pipe bans in summer when it's dry for two or three weeks!

We are the joke of Europe. We get a huge amount of rainfall in Ireland throughout the year including most summers.

Probably don't even need an irrigation system, just proper water storage facilities.

Other countries would think they have struck gold if they had the amount of rainfall we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Farmers have no say on whether hose pipe bans are brought in or not!!

I was also visiting my parents today, we are all doing our Fathers Day visiting duties!

Now they didn't have heating on today as thankfully sun appearred in afternoon which heated up sitting room, but they often do.

It's common enough when your older they often feel cold more and they have an older house as many do of that generation built in 1970s or 1980s.

I would say though that if any of your parents windows are old to get them replaced if money allows. My parents did a few years ago and it made a huge difference.

Ah you know what I mean, if it rains too little farmers give out their crops will be ruined and then when it rains too much they also give out their crops will be ruined!

A better way of managing water storage would be better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I'm not saying you should be jealous of it, I know from talking to people that most of the world wouldn't be. But it's something I miss having grown up in Ireland and being used to the Irish climate (and being shaped by it, if you see what I mean). If you'd lived in the Belgian environment you'd be more used to it. :)

I take your point that there are quiet spots here. I'm hoping to spend some time in the Ardennes with some friends later this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Out of order Oscar Bravo. Having a go at a poster. A poster who uses his own time and resources to give detailed examination and explanation on forecasting models. Not on one thread but two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You are really showing yourself to be very uninformed and unenlightened with your comments. Maybe you should try and understand how agriculture actually works in this country before posting any more rubbish.

Fire lit tonight. The wind cut through you today. Mid June and fire on the grate. FFS.

(I know we are getting on in years but I believe its the latest I've put a fire down)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

I am also annoyed at Oscar Bravo's downright insulting post towards Gonzo. I think it's fair to say that the regulars on here very much appreciate Gonzo's forthright call on Irish weather, winter or summer. I always pay attention to his forecasts.

And I'm paying attention now in dismay at the downhill turn forecast for Friday as that is the day I return from Spain.

People will tut tut at what they see as weather moaning, returning from tropical Med heat to Atlantic misery. But jeez returning from 30 deg and beautiful settled summer weather to cold, cloud, rain, having to turn on your heating and dig out jackets, socks and sturdy shoes is right up there with one of my pet hates in life. It's a real shock to the system and is de facto returning from high summer to either March or October.

Rant over now. While here I bought some lovely summer dresses and am really hoping to get some chance at some stage to give em an outing 😍 Without freezing in them.🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Went out to Kerry Head this evening to see if I could see the leading boats of the Round Ireland Yacht Race, too hazy and they were that bit too far out, on a clearer evening might have been able to get a very distant pic on the the telephoto perhaps . Cool breeze at around 13.5C but got brighter as the evening went on, pics below taken about 20.45 before heading home. Wind was getting lighter too down to about a F4 or F5 I would think, I see the boat speeds have dropped too as the winds go lighter.

Pic of Loop Hd taken from Kerry Hd

Rocks just below Kerry Hd on the N side.

Latest positions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Really, is it that bad? I'm wearing a tshirt. If i was chilly, i'd be putting on a jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Omg you should be ashamed of yourself, disgusting carry on

What's with all the attacking of our boardies friends. Pass no heed appledrop. This person sees Oscar getting attention and says yup I'll try that trick.

3am ....almost mid Summer

No wind...v little cloud....yes...its nighttime

Acequion, I've just said feck it and started to wear some of my summer dresses.

Now they are the longer ones as I'd freeze🥶 in short ones.

I just pair them with denim jacket etc and it's working out OK although I was freezing yesterday.

Sorry for fashion update for those of you with no interest🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Please cut out the personal attacks! Seems to be a recent trend on here, by some regular posters, of nasty comments directed towards other regular posters. Not on. Please think before you post and show a little respect. Also respect the opinions of other posters and the fact that weather can be subjective.

Lovely sunny morning here in NCD and the best bit is shush 🤫 say it quietly now, there appears to be very little wind.

Well thanks for that input. Any particular colour?

As for me I was wearing a green woolen jumper. Dunnes.

Any other satorical advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

From my own personal situation here. If I was to put a storage facility in for rainwater it wouldn't be a major cost, it's getting it back onto the land that is the killer. To deal with the current drought, it would require a water volume of 40 million litres. The economics and the the evaporation rate would render it ineffective. Try doing that with an income

On a side note how many posters here have their household income affected by the weather. Very few. My income is here

It amazes me the serious disconnect that is growing with people where there food comes from. Remember that you need a farmer 3 times a day.

Serious pride and respect is shown by farmers in the work we do. We battle thought rain,hail snow wind, sun, we just do it. We care for our animals 24hrs a days so much that the vets say that they are better cared than ourselves. All this is done for small money. Last year I did a calculation on my wage rate/HR. It was €3.27/HR. Yes this is typical of Irish farmers.

Now try put food on the table and put an irrigation system in on €3.27/HR

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah smashing morning here as well,can feel the heat of the sun in your face with no breeze at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mine is yellow with the logo "hello sunshine". Seems to have works because it's shining brightly today 🙂🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Glorous morning in Kerry today 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely sunny morning in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JasperVdp

Well, we still get our fair share of “Irish like” weather over the entire year, particularly in autumn and winter. Btw, the quiet spots I was talking about are actually beaches aswell, the beaches in between the towns, where there’s just dunes. It’s always a lot quieter in the dunes, so if you want to go to a beach but not have that many people, those are the places to go. The Ardennes are also great yeah, particularly on a snowy day in winter.

Advertisement