Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Bill Gates a Dangerous Technocratic Psychotic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be honest, I’d much rather go for a few pints with Gates than Musk, Bezos or any of the other, sociopath, billionaires.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Man attends a conference speaking about his area of expertise, sharing insight on the impact of Covid - how does this even begin to approach the notion of a "Technocratic Psychotic"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

I don't really get why people hate Gates so much. He spends his fortune fighting health problems and poverty around the world and has pledged to give away his considerable fortune rather than leave it to his kids. I'd take that over the rocket lads any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

As far as I am concerned, all billionaires are dangerous technocratic psychotics.

To be greedy enough to accumulate that amount of wealth, and the power that it grants - guaranteed, disconnected psychopaths, to the last one.

And that is no matter how much they donate to charity, unless those donations actually reduce their wealth to a level that is not in the billions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

at what point in the video does he lament the existence of the human immune system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

His children will be set up with jobs and contracts that come with huge payouts, due to his connections, which 99% of people would be excluded from. The whole thing of rich people supposedly disinheriting their children is a massive head-fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Envy. The same reason people despise “the other “sociopath, billionaires”. Always the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

"Sadly the virus itself, particularly the variant called omicron..."

To understand the OP and the disingenuous chap in the video you have to pretend to think that Gates is saying that it's sad that the virus acted as an effective vaccination.

Obviously that's not what he's saying. He was asked to assess "where we are today in beating covid 19." He's bemoaning the fact that it took two years to develop and distribute the vaccine, in which time the disease was able to spread quickly. The vaccine developers lost the race and there were deaths as a result.

That is from the first Gates section, right? I turned it off after that assuming that there was something later that the OP was referring to. as expected the OP is talking pony.

Nope. I wouldn't want to be the controlling interest in a large farming corporation undercutting small farmers then buying up their assets for pennies on the dollar after they've been ruined.

Gates' MO is similar to the vulture funds that tore through Ireland, Greece, Iceland etc. in 2008-2012.

Billionaires doing high-profile charity work to generate good PR goes back centuries. Andrew Carnegie built public libraries gratis including in Ireland in the 19th century. Oscar Wilde used to make quips about 'philantropists'.

• Advertisement

of course, rich kids all benefit from their parent's connections. Just talk to anyone who was privately educated in this country...

Yep but this goes beyond being a D4 head. Gates can effectively make sure his children get millons for little or no work even while he denies them any direct donation from his personal fortune.

Why bother? Why not just write them a cheque? Because its to impress naive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The small farmers would be doing the same thing if they had the chance. It’s human nature. So is envy.

I don't follow your logic. He's actually writing cheques to combat poverty and leaving his fortune to charity but that's the same as giving all this money to his kids somehow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

This exactly.

So, no, Gates is not a dangerous, technocratic, psycho; spinning his concern over our ability to produce an effective vaccine for a deadly virus in proper time may qualify you as one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

He's an expert on vaccines? Funny, I thought he was a computer salesmans? Also why isn't the guy who actually invented the RNA vax - Dr Robert Malone - an actually expert on the stage instead of this guy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You're the one pushing this. Why don't you investigate instead of expecting to be spoonfed?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

at what point in the video does he lament the existence of the human immune system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Gates gave millions to charity, Elon musk says he is going to vote republican and he is anti Union, conditions is his factory's are not great. He's uses stupid memes twiitter is his free pr service. He's trying to get out of buying twiitter because tesla shares have fallen

Theres weird conspiracy theory's about gates. 5g chips etc these theory's are ridiculous. Billionaires are not popular as they can get away with paying very little tax by buying shares, bonds, using various complex tax evasion schemes

Since retiring gates has devoted his life to supporting his charity

He says nfts crpto coins are a all a scam. I think he, s right. They use an incredible amount of energy and they can't be used to buy anything

Most rich people give some money to charity its good pr and its can be used as a tax credit

I can't think of anyone else who gives so much to charity as bill Gates and its to charity's who fight poverty and disease in the 3rd world

You can talk about the impact of covid without being a scientist he's not like Joe Rogan telling people to take horse medicine to treat covid which makes no sense

It's easy to be cynical and say billionaires are selfish weirdos who pay no tax and have no respect for ordinary workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

indeed. research what carnegie did to strking workers at his factory.

gates is a software magnate (and yes he did steal his idea from jobs) so why on earth anyone is looking to him as leader in healthcare is beyond me.

have a look at some of his depostion videos when he was being interviewed back around 2000 in the antitrust lawsuits and you'll see exactly what the real gates is like. there's a couple of them on youtube.

how people have been fooled by him is beyond me. he's buying up so much farmland in the US and his goal is to get you all to eat fake meat...the real stuff will only be the preserve of his ilk.

plus not to forget his close connection to epstein.

he is not a good guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Gates did not steal his ideas from jobs , early Uí Windows mouse control icons folders were invented by Xerox then apple and Windows made their own operating systems based on Windows folders mouse icons which had many differences in the menu graphics look of the menus

There were open source linux operating systems it was just at the time windows was easier to use avaidable on all IBM pcs and it had device drivers for 100s of devices printers scanners etc so it was the most successful with pc users

I think it's like Qanon weird conspiracy theory's are being pushed about gates

It's hard to find much good writeups about Zuckerberg or Facebook

Since jobs is gone gates is the most famous tech software billionaire

If you think that someone whose main interest is giving to charity's and helping to wipe out global deadly disease is dangerous

than maybe you are wrong

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If he could turn his mind to improving the IQ of dim witted conspiracy nuts, he’d do the world some good. Now out you go and get some fresh air and a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Always fascinated me the Flack Bill Gates gets.

Sure he's flawed , aren't we all, he wouldn't be the most exciting company to be in at a social event but to his and his ex wife's credit , they both tackled serious issues like Hunger, lack of education, Measles vaccination and poverty , initially, quietly, when it wasn't sexy and later on more publicly through their foundation.

In essence, he practically and single handedly made Philanthropy popular amongst the world's richest people, sure some may now be virtue signalling but to my mind, I care less as long as these people donate to good causes. He also correctly predicted the world would face a global pandemic and infact threw money into Covid-19 vaccination development almost immediately and at a time even the most emminent scientists and Doctors didn't no what they were dealing with.

It gets flack for his innovation and yet look at his achievements with Microsoft and indeed other innovative companies, some might even say he Saved Apple and Steve Jobs, they actually became good friends despite the bitter hostility between them early on.

He's certainly no psychopath, Determined yes, utterly focused but I wonder without him how different the world might be.

He didn't have to do the many good things he's done, could have sat on his vast wealth, sure they may be a Beneficial Taxation element to his charitable work, but actually, I don't believe that's what's motivated him.

So in my opinion, Carry on Bill and we'll done.😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

'Always fascinated me the Flack Bill Gates gets.

Sure he's flawed , aren't we all'

Are you aware that his wife left him citing his friendship with a man who procures young girls for paedophiles?

Also you talk about his social manner as if you knew him personally. His image as a friendly, harmless nerd is the end-result of a public relations machine.

I think by and large people have made a deliberate choice to open their minds uncritically to bureaucracy, corporations and the mass media, and to absorb whatever outputs they're given.

Are you aware that his wife left him citing his friendship with a man who procures young girls for paedophiles?

Do you have a source for that? Gates certainly knew Epstein but so did a lot of people.

A lot of people knew Epstein yes and those who were close associates and friends with him have now suffered reputational damage imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I believe Trump was one of those who knew him very well.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Windows 95 dancing. Busting out those moves. It will never be forgotten. Inspiring generations of musicians and dancers and artists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh look, another thread where an opinion is thrown out as a question, just to make it sound as if there is a debate to be had. Opinions are fine - they’re like arseholes, we all have them and they’re useful - but phrasing them as questions doesn’t lend them any more legitimacy than they already have.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,976 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Didn’t know about that, but now I do, I think it applies to thread titles too.

edit: I like the way Andrew Marr described it:

If the headline asks a question, try answering 'no'. Is This the True Face of Britain's Young? (Sensible reader: No.) Have We Found the Cure for AIDS? (No; or you wouldn't have put the question mark in.) Does This Map Provide the Key for Peace? (Probably not.) A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

well well well

so the media's narrative is that bill gate's association with epstein only began in 2011

here's an article from the evening standard which was published in 2001 which mentions epteins links with gates even back then

funny how the standard took it down from being viewed but a copy was made of it and can be read here

The Evening Standard (London) January 22, 2001

Epstein was a guest at the Queen's birthday party at Windsor and travelled with Ghislaine to Andrew's country weekend at Sandringham before Christmas.

He has made many millions out of his business links with the likes of Bill Gates, Donald Trump and Ohio billionaire Leslie Wexner, whose trust he runs.

Prince Andrew's friends can only speculate what Epstein gains from his association with British royals but clearly it can do no harm to his business reputation in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If not, it's not from a lack of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem here is that Gates is spouting like he is actually a doctor of medicine / virologist , which he isn’t. He is presenting amateur incorrect opinion as fact… There are literally armies of medical professionals out there who know billions more in percentile terms regarding what he is ranting about…id have walked out… for an intelligent guy that was a serious level of disingenuous and deliberately misleading BS.

that performance was worthy of a razzie, nothing else. A guy concerned about balance sheets and ego. Not a lot else.

How does Gates benefit financially from spending billions on his charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,007 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Advertisement

you were referring to his work in the area of vaccines. How has he benefitted financially from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No, he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

there was something far more innocent about the older generation wealthy, compared to the more modern ones, modern ones are far more narcissistic, and since this type of behavior is encouraged in modern life, theres something far more disturbing about their behavior

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Advertisement