Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

AL-KO T 22-110.0 HDH-A

looking for opinions on these two. Orchard type areas to maintain. Not show lawn. General grassed .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Have the Stihl 5112Z for a couple weeks now and as I said earlier in thread it's my first venture into ride-ons. (@KrombopulosMichael sorry to hear you've run into bother with yours.)

I'm still very happy with the machine. It has been fairly put through its paces at this stage between mowing in both collecting and mulching modes as well as towing quite a few heavy enough loads of topsoil and 804. I have to say that it has really impressed so far as a well built and powerful enough lawn tractor.

One question I have, yesterday on a couple of occasions when starting the engine it backfired with a bang on starting up. Just wondering what that's about if anyone has any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭deezell

Just an opinion based purely on specs, the 110cm/13hp Alko is €1800 less than the 103cm equipped/12hp husky. The Alko is a ruggedised version of their T22 bagger mower, about €400 extra for the hard-core 3 blade mulch deck and tractor style rear tyres. The Husky cut is a tad low at 7cm, the Alko at 9cm gives better clearance over roots, and overgrown grass. Husky is a bit under powered for mulching 103cm. The Alko has an extra horse, but at a wider 110cm cut it will need it, though the special 3 blade cutter might be better able to cope.

For the price of the Husky you could get this serious zero turn Snapper, with the pro 8 series B&S engine churning out 47NM of torque, 24hp at 3600rpm. Huge 132cm cut (maybe too wide for some parts of an Orchard?), the zero turn will radius around trees with no missed bits. Extra high max cut of 11cm ideal for overgrown grass. Side discharge, mulch kit may be extra.

http://www.cgeltd.ie/product/snapper-ztx350-52-zero-turn-lawnmower/

Most likely a weak spark on one cylinder preventing ignition on some compressions, which result in unburnt mix igniting when expelled into a hot exhaust. I'm assuming its exhaust backfire, not a pre ignition on the inlet side. Check the plugs, the sparkplug cables for tightness, check for damage at the coil end, if you fancy removing the cowling. Its possible one coil has failed or is compromised, and is not producing sufficient high voltage at the plug. If you have a spare loose spark plug, you can turn over the engine and alternately check the spark at the gap. If one side looks 'hotter' and more regular than the other it points to a weak spark. One or a couple of these are useful to compare ignition strength and consistency. You pull off the lead at the plug and insert this inline. A neon pulses with the spark.

Just realised it's a brand new machine. If it persists you'll need to invoke the warranty. It could be contaminated petrol too, causing misfires. Make due your next fill is clean, from a clean petrol container, no raindrops or moisture or or other residue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Have a Husqvzrna ride on with a Kohler engine which recommends 10w 30 oil.

Have this stuff already, wondoring if it good to use?

It will do fine, as long as it hasn't been sitting around for 20 years with the lid loose. Oil deteriorates over time once it's in an engine and used, even briefly. Unused in an unopened sealed container it's good for many years, opened and half used, should still be OK for a good few years. Lawn mower will be less critical anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Thanks for the advice Deezel. Looks like the backfiring was a once off issue thankfully. It did it twice that day when I posted about it but has been used a good bit since with multiple start ups and no backfires.

So still very happy with the Stihl 5112Z so far. We're putting in a good few beds these days which involves moving large quantities of stone, topsoil, compost, bark mulch, etc. and this machine, along with the tipping trailer I got for it, has been an absolute godsend. Very impressed with the loads it can pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Is this a decent lawnmover? Based in Mayo so not sure if anyone knows of somewhere local?

Not a huge area, mid sized takes about 20-25 mins to cut but have a lot of what looks like scutch grass that has taken over the garden and looks horrible.. borrowing a lawnmower at the minute which is a pain so just looking to get something asap.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Lawnmowers/Petrol-Lawnmowers/Webb-Pro-Bs-Petrol-Lawnmower-46cm-18-1799626

Decent mower, but this Mountfield in Screwfix.ie (Ballina, Roscommon, Galway your nearest) is more bang for your buck. 51cm cut and a Honda GCV engine.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mountfield-sp53h-51cm-167cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/976fy

As for the scutch, roundup and reseed, else carefully brush the roundup on the scutch fronds avoiding the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

So got my mower picked up by my local shop and timing belt indeed snapped. 160 to replace as well and collection drop off again so a bit of a sting to the wallet.

When I have more time on my hands, this will be a job ill hopefully be able to do myself in the future. Thanks again Deezell.

Worth it for the peace of mind that the belt is properly tensioned, and the blades and mounts checked out OK, no warps or imbalance. Hopefully a long time before you attempt rock sculpturing using a mower again, timing belt will eventually weaken from normal use, 4-6 years, but could last longer, and either break or jump teeth causing the blades to clatter into each other. Deck V belt will usually wear quicker, again depending on hours and how hard it's loaded, eventually slipping on start up or under heavy load.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you can easily remove covers then it can be well worth taking a few photos of how it should be when its all together and working.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Non synced and timed deck belt routes for Stihl/Viking.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

This is the Viking/Stihl synchronised deck as per the post by Deezell

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi All

I did something similar to my old ride on (Castelgarden PT170hd) and found this video on youtube - Irish guy who changes his timing

belt on honda HF417 (exact same deck). Very helpful and easy to follow.

J

IIRC, correct timing belt tension is achieved when the longest stretch of belt deflects 1/64th of the pulley to pulley contact distance when a force if about 4 kg is applied to the centre. For the Viking 127cm cut it's about 12mm, using a small luggage scales to to measure the pull. This force is for 8mm pitch 25mm wide timing belts. Its almost impossible to get accurate data from online tools for belt tensioning. Some calculators use the hp delivered, others use the construction of the belt. Mower Manufacturers' data would be best if you could find it. Nowadays they use sonic meters and pluck the belt like a guitar string. Somewhere around 50 hz or G1 to G1# if you're of a musical disposition. Too tight is bad, but too loose and the belt will 'flap' on the unloaded side which leads to wear and jumping teeth. I use a luggage scales I got in Eurosaver for SFA, I bent the hook flat and at right angles, it fits exactly between two teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Hi, I currently have a T2000 craftsman ride on, it's 4 years old, I no longer need it as we did an extensive bit of landscaping and the lawn area has been greatly reduced. I want to sell it but is now a good time to do so or should I mothball it and sell in the spring?

Sell, Sell, Sell. Consider this example of a 2000 model. https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/craftsman-ride-on-mower/31271801

7 year old for €1600. About 42% of new price for 7 years/seasons depreciation. Yours is only 4 years old? Fourth to fifth season, so rule of thumb says about 58 to 52% of new price, (assuming €3800 or thereabouts), so about €2200-1950 asking, by comparison. Craftsman are a good brand, made by MTD though older ones made by Husqvarna. There is a source of sales and parts here, in Ennis. http://craftsmanmowers.ie/

It may not be a brand that has high sales here, but that shouldn't deter a customer for a good used model. Apart from the distributors, I've not seen new ones advertised so I've no idea of the current retail price of a new 2000 model machine or equivalent to calculate expected used price.

Heres another example of a 2000 model, only 3 yo for €1750, but it's pictured in a trailer, and he keeps a set of new spare blades, so I'd say it was used commercially. Immaculate looking though. https://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/tractor-lawnmower/31278599

You'll sell anything if the price is right. State the hours or acreage/m2 it cut, if it was flat lawn only etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

Cheers, that's who I bought it from in Ennis so I gave them a buzz to see if they'd be interest in buying it back, might save me the hassle of putting it up on donedeal

• Advertisement

If you're not trading in, you'll have to accept well under market price, for them to be able to service it, then sell it on with a margin, some VAT, and a short warranty. Same as selling a car to a cash dealer. It will save you hassle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hey Deezell,

new to petrol mowers but need it as I have a bigger garden now 80ft x 30ft. was going to go with this : Pro Lawn 46cm Self Propelled B&S Petrol Lawnmower | Woodie's (woodies.ie) as it has a B&S engine, but then i saw your link. would yours be a preferred purchase? dont mind paying extra if its better.

thanks gaz

If its this link https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mountfield-sp53h-51cm-167cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/976fy then I'd go for it particularly as I got this showing at the top of the screen EXTRA 10% OFF LOWEST PRICE WITH CODE GDN10 making it £383.40

Note Save 10% on Selected Landscaping - Promo Ends 04/07/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The voucher doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Nice machine but 65mm highest cut is a big weakness.

Didn't work for me until I spotted I'd added a space to it when I copied and pasted it ;-)

With 10% off its a no brainer, will hold its value much better with the Mountfield/Honda brands combi. A very large machine for just 222m2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Bingo, it works now, thanks

Might get this and try and raise the height a bit using the mod Deezell mentioned.

On the video here it say the highest cut is 90mm but the reviews on Screwfix say its 65mm.

Post edited by Zardoz on

Jus be aware that the height rack in the Mountfield is punched into the deck, so it's not a case of just repositioning a bolted on rack.

It might be possible to form an extra slot to give you more height assuming the axle pivot still had some range remaining to raise the height. You'd need to inspect one of these mowers to be certain. On a lawn of only 80 by 30 feet, 65cm would be high enough if its been nicely laid down and levelled, and with a finer finish. Higher cuts tend to suit coarser lawns and less level sites.

On the video here it say the highest cut is 90mm but the reviews on Screwfix say its 65mm.

And Mountfield.co.uk says:

Note Mountfields own site only lists the version with the Stiga motor.

I'd go with 80mm as eyeballing that video and comparing it with another mower 80mm max seems about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

thanks, yea coming in at €383. if too big, would you recommend something else? i dont mind what height it goes up to as i usually keep on top of cutting. also planning to make smaller with extension, paving etc cheers

Advertisement