Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's still a big practice here in the South East with a lot of kids going off to fairly prominent rugby playing school in a major hurling centre. Can't do much more to tell you the school.

A friends kid went to it and within 3 weeks in first year was losing weight, despite not having any to spare, wasn't sleeping and was really miserable. It came out at Christmas that he was being badly bullied in there. The kid has braces and his speech is affected by them and is very slight and also a lovely quiet chap so a rugby boarding school probably in hindsight wasn't the best decision for him. The parents took him out at Christmas and in the circumstances, despite the local secondary school being full to quota, the principal there moved a lot of things around to accommodate him. It is the best thing ever happened to the chap. He is a different man now and as happy as the day is long. I know that is only one experience but I wouldn't send my two away to a boarding school even though some times the thought is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I only did four years, might have been different if I was at day school, I got over 80% in maths and science in the intermediate cert at the time

Water under the bridge now

Boarding school's very different now.... home every weekend, better food etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We can often be harsh on parents that make decisions like this. Historically it was common for some sections in society to send children to boarding schools. This was especially true of children from the Protestant faiths if the parents could afford it. They probably taught it was the best at the time.

We have a similar situation at the moment where parents will opt to send children to ''better'' schools in larger urban area's. I even see it locally where a few parents send there children to schools in the city. Girls are send to girl only schools and boys are sent to so called higher achieving schools. The peculiar thing is the local school gets great results where the parents are interactive in there children education

These children then find it harder to maintain friendships locally. They find it harder to achieve friendships in the new school as it's harder to take part in after school activities. There only saviour can be sport locally and in the new school

Another education taught are grind schools. Children move to these at the leaving cert stage. For some it's works but I see more and more middle of the road academic children who it makes no difference to.

Slava Ukrainii

There was good grants then and even now to ensure protestants could go to protestant schools,

Apparently it's in the constitution that you've the right to be educated in your faith ...hence the grants.

I've a nephew that claims he wouldn't keep them as cheap at home

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's not just boarding school that bullying happens though

• Advertisement

No, but you get home every evening, it's not relentless........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It can be with social media these days. I went to boarding school too, a few of the people that were bullied have committed suicide since. Agree that it is a cop out for parents.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Slava Ukrainii

Can they not block the offenders, I dont remember bullying being a problem apart from teachers. they had to be tough i suppose with maybe 60 0r 70 to look after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have a private runway next door to me and ( small ) planes come over my field at just over hedge height for take off and landing and like that cattle pay no heed. Sometimes pilot does be practicing rolls and dives for air shows - get free show

• Advertisement

No. They'll just create new accounts. The thing with online bullying is you'll read and reread the messages. Last thing at night first thing in the morning. A bully hiding behind a keyboard thinking they're great.

I screenshotted some of the messages here when we were dealing with bullying. Sent them to the mother of the darling boy who was sending them. She couldn't deny it was him, but she was a total soft touch. Easy see why he was doing it if he wasn't going to be punished

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember in secondary school, there was one bad case of bullying against one particular guy. So bad in fact that all the pupils from the year were brought into one room and given a talk about it. He was a bit of a computer nerd at a time when computers were only starting.

He ended up getting the top student award in University afterwards and is now a Professor and has worked extensively for NASA. Somehow I get a great kick out of that. I google him from time to time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re going up at weekend and will see her all day Sunday. We will stay on for a few days R and R ourselves. Be first time in 20 years herself and myself away together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sounds great, I’d advise doing the coastline, glenveagh and Malin. When coming away from Malin come the Derry side. Like the rest of Ireland, Donegal is beautiful but sadly you need a good weather

I think you need good weather everywhere in Ireland to enjoy the outdoor stuff. Kerry wouldn’t be great for a wet week either. Enjoy the few days off Brian, just said to OH I would love a few days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Said to my Mrs we should book a few days away and, unlike her, said I must be demented with the price of anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

I was always a believer in "shop local" but hotels price gouging has left a bitter taste. The car hire situation at airports is another disgrace. Hoteliers and the tourism industry are perpetual moaners. I've never encountered such short sightedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Big variation in car hire prices across the board sone quotes of €15k down to €1k for some people i priced a car to hire dor rwo weeks in NZ it came in at €250 fair enough its winter there but its still a busy time for tourism a big difference there. I renewed my car insurance last week and for pig iron asked what it would cost to put a visiting relative on the policy and they said no extra charge just let us know the dates abd it will be fine, id much rather see myself inconvenienced for a week or two by letting him have the car than to see money wasted on something like that.

Better living everyone

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/new-report-reveals-just-how-much-prices-in-ireland-are-soaring-above-eu-average-41774596.html

THE high cost of living in this country has been laid bare by new figures that show that prices in this country are the joint highest in the 27-member union.

Prices here are 40pc higher than the average across the European Union.

And the gap between what is charged here and on the Continent is widening.

Irish people pay far more than the EU average for food, drink, energy, transport, communications and restaurants, according to a new report from Eurostat.

Healthcare costs here are the highest in the EU.

It comes as prices are rocketing at rates not seen for four decades, putting massive pressures on family budgets.

The new report from the European statistics agency shows overall prices are 40pc higher in this country compared with the average in the EU.

Prices in Ireland are jointly in the highest in the 27-member European Union with Denmark.

Ireland has the highest prices for alcohol and tobacco.

This country is the third most expensive for food and non-alcohol beverages, with prices on average here 19pc above the EU average.

Health costs are the most expensive in the EU, at a staggering 72pc above average.

Combined housing costs such as rents, mortgage rates, gas and electricity, are again the most expensive at 89pc above the EU average.

Communications costs here are 46.5pc above the EU average.

Transport services are 39pc above the EU average, with energy 15pc higher than the average.

Restaurant and hotel prices are 29.5pc higher than average.

There have been persistent accusations of price gouging in the hospitality sector here as a shortage of staff and attempts by the industry to make up for losses during Covid have meant prices have surged, especially for hotel rooms.

Daragh Cassidy of price comparison site Bonkers.ie said: “No-one is under the illusion that Ireland is a cheap place to live. However, the scale of the difference in prices between Ireland and our neighbours is pretty shocking.”

He said the fact that the price differential is getting worse, does not bode well for our competitiveness.

“In 2016, prices in Ireland were 29pc above the EU average. But this gap has risen every year since.”

He said that wages in Ireland are also above the EU average, but not by over 40pc for most people.

“I would urge the Government to look at measures that are within its control to lower the impact of high prices and the cost of living in Ireland.

Mr Cassidy said that 23pc, our rate of Vat is among the highest in the world.

Charges for GPs visits and hospital stays lead to us having the highest health costs in the EU, he said.

“Meanwhile we have astronomical childcare costs. While Government stamp duty leads to higher car insurance and home insurance.”

He said consumer bodies such as the CCPC, and regulators such as the CRU for energy and ComReg for telecommunications need to do better jobs and stand up for consumers more.

“If they need more powers to enforce laws and bring prices down, they should demand them,” Mr Cassidy said.

“I would also like to see a new ministerial position for consumer affairs created. We rightly have a huge focus on business and enterprise in almost all areas of government in this country. But that same focus isn’t extended to consumers.”

• Advertisement

I wonder how much of the high prices here are due to brexit? They were, probably still are our major trading partner, imported goods from there have more tax on them now, and take a week longer to get here due to Irish customs being anal about it. France and other EU countries don’t seem to have such a big problem with UK trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

Don't think it's linked; My guess is pure and simple price gouging to recover Covid losses. Next downturn they'll be first whinging.

Brexit has an impact, but not to the extent your thinking. Look up our trade flows and ya'll see we still send a lot to the UK but have drastically cut down what's coming back in favour of the continent. France and other EU countries are every bit as rigorous, if not more so due to the Withdrawal Agreement (look up the queues and issues at the ports in UK going to the continent).

There's rampant gouging going on now. Things just going up 20/30% with little justification. Cement is supposed to go up 30% on July 1st (overheard that on the stag bus Sunday from a QS on board)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think one of the biggest problems here is the lack of consumer protection and ineffective regulation on consumer rights in general - its no accident either as successive governments have been beholden to vested interests in the energy, insurance, legal, construction sectors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

To be honest I'm amazed that people claim to be surprised by the current inflation. After the last 3 years it was inevitable.

Brexit plus governments paying half the world to sit at home for almost two years, plus the Chinese playing puck with supply chains are the biggest factors.

Obviously if goods which previously came from England to here now come from Germany or further afield, they are bound to be significantly more expensive. And thats without including the 70% jump in fuel costs.

''Cement is supposed to go up 30% on July 1st (overheard that on the stag bus Sunday from a QS on board)''

There might be a change to that. Hearing more and more from building trades people that things are slowing fast. Just last night a lad that draws blocks out of a Roadstone plant said that up 2 months ago the plant could not make blocks fast enough. He says at present they are starting to build up in the yard. Ready-mix as well is staring to slow down.

A lot of commercial building is stopping. Builders are unwilling to quote complete house prices. At present they generally will quote for walls and maybe roof and price the rest after that.

People building houses are then reluctant to start as they may not be able to complete the project. With the last 3-4 months the advice to anyone going to build is hold off for 18-30 months. However the slow down is coming harder and slightly faster than expected. Project have stopped. How many farm sheds have you seen not started in the last few months. I know of two. One lad has the tank done and the shed is stopped. He is drawing the TAMS on the tank and seeing where he can go from there.

Builders providers have been really dogging it for the last 12 months.

I went up to the Kerry Monoghan league match earlier this year. There was 60 km and 2-3 tolls in the difference between going up the Midlands or the going the motor way Vis Dublin. At the time I visited it at 22/23 euro, at present it's probably over a fiver more at present.

The money in the pocket is going fast.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sharp rises in interest rates are coming fast down the road too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It definitely helps, but we’d be good enough for throwing on a jacket and heading out anyway.

campervan not just ready so we booked an Airbnb, wee house on side of a mountain for ~€90 a night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I heard too that a local builders providers has put it's staff on protective notice. Are we heading into a deep recession?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Talk of fuel rationing in August. Mairead McGuiness,the EU commissioner, said it could happen.

That she would even entertain the idea of it, instead of slamming it is concerning.

Advertisement