Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not all matches have them, and even at that, if a team had one where someone on their team did something dodgy, they’d delete the video (ie this happened in a cork club match last year).

Even at that, I mean for the GAA to be able to review their refs (similar to every single major sporting organisation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

Goalkeepers that can score. Someone get onto Chelsea FC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Taking kicks from the ground is a common skill practiced in GAA football. From kickouts to 45s to some free takers taking them off the ground.

Penalties are only taken when a player is fouled in the box.

I'm only a casual GAA fan so I'm the type the GAA want to attract to matches but the game has become increasingly boring with all the hand passes. A team can lose the ball in their own half way line and the opposition 9 times out of 10 will just turn around and set their team and pass it back.

Goalkeepers coming up to take frees and 45s. Says a lot that your forwards, who are supposed to be the most accurate shooters can't take a 45. A lot of the goalkeepers coming up even miss a fair chunk of the shots they take.

The attacking mark is another disaster. Simply catching a ball leads to a free shot at goal.

Everyone is an athlete nowadays. You can tell by how they run and solo the ball the lads who are not footballers. They're there to hand pass it, get up and down the pitch and get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

No it wasn't a superior proposal as was too flawed, even if it got voted in it wouldn't have lasted more than two years much like the so called super 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

It is only an opinion but there is an opportunity to bring more GAA skills. 5 different players with varying lengths of distance to shoot from (hand or ground). Even something like hockey where they advance on the keeper would bring in more of the skills associated with GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just a technical question on how the 8 league teams who get into the All-Ireland will be decided.

Is finishing 7th in say Division 2 regarded as a higher ranking than finishing 2nd in Division 3? Or t'other way round? There's a case either way really as to which is fairer. I could see some teams being miffed if that ends up being the cut-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Oh flawed, of course, it was. But Green proposal is seriously flawed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The rankings are based on places after the league is over i.e a promoted team from Division 2 is ranked in a higher place than a relegated team from Division 1.

Also if Team A finishes top in Division 2 but Team B who finishes second in Division 2 beats Team A in the Division 2 final, Team B is ranked higher for the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Based on 2021 it would look like this (slightly imperfect due to the weird north/south leagues last year, but probably not a million miles away):

• Dark Green = Senior AI based on Provinicals
    • Light Green = Senior AI based on league position
    • Blue = Tailteann Cup

I hope they give the Tailteann cup the coverage it deserves because most of those teams would fancy their chances of getting some silverware - could be a v.competitive competition if the teams bought into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why is this Green proposal"seriously flawed"

I'm not going to argue that it's perfect but it's worth a good try.

And you can't say that it's flawed because it retains the provincial championships, because after Proposal B's failure last year to get 60% dumping the provincial championships is off the cards, for a while at least.

• Advertisement

I would expect that the Tailteann Cup will only get limited enough television coverage given how poorly the GAA have handled TV rights the last while.

The only hope of any sort of half serious coverage is that TG4 try to convince the GAA to let them broadcast it.

Even then having it on TG4 means it will effectively be hidden away from whole swathes of the country given how poor TG4's reach is.

You would hope that GAA might stream these games on GAAGO but given the powers that be attitude to streaming games, I don't think it probably won't happen.

In spite of the prospect of poor TV coverage, I think there is zero prospect of teams not buying in to it.

Anyone who thinks it will be a Tommy Murphy Cup mark 2 is well wide of the mark I think.

Managers and players of Division 3 and Division 4 teams have been calling out for an increased number of competitive games for a good few years and the format of the Tailteann Cup provides this. I reckon it won't be long before managers of Division 3 and Division 4 teams are not rushing players back from injury/start resting players in the provincial championships but instead focus more on getting players to peak for the Tailteann Cup group stages. The provincial championships have been poor enough hunting grounds for Division 3 and 4 teams for a good while now, whereas the Tailteann Cup looks like it will be a much more rewarding competition. When you compare the qualifier system to the Tailteann Cup structure, the Tailteann Cup is miles ahead.

How much talk was there of teams/players not buying into the qualifiers?

In the situation above the seedings for the Sam Maguire group stages would have been

Top Seeds - Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone

2nd Seeds - Galway, Kildare, Cork, Monaghan

3rd Seeds - Donegal, Armagh, Roscommon, Meath

4th Seeds - Clare, Down, Derry, Offaly

Also the winner of the Tailteann Cup this year will take the place of the 8th league qualifier next year (if they haven't qualified based on the provincial route or the league rankings route)

Teams who have met in the provincial finals can't be drawn in the same group. i.e Mayo and Galway, Dublin and Kildare, Kerry and Cork and Tyrone and Monaghan must be kept apart. There is no other rules about keeping teams apart so Clare for instance who were beaten by Kerry in the Munster Championship could get drawn in the same group as them.

Every team will have one home game, one away game and one neutral game. Given the situation in the Super 8s, it's probable Dublin will get to play both their home game and their neutral game at Croke Park. Also the provincial champions get their first game at home.

After the group stage the top teams in each group go straight into the quarter-finals. The reward for topping the group is a home game and at least a week off while the four 2nd placed teams will have a home game against the 4 3rd placed teams. I'm not sure about the exact time-line but given the condensed season I think it will be 3 group games in 3 weeks and then the 2nd v 3rd play-off the following week with the winner of the 2nd v 3rd game playing the quarter-final the following weekend which is 5 games in 5 weekends. There may be some break weekend in there but given the compressed intercounty calendar I think there's a good chance there might not be.

Topping the group gives a significant advantage over finishing 2nd which has an advantage over finishing 3rd.

It will be interesting to see how teams who finish 1st in the group do versus the teams who finish 2nd and 3rd.

I think it will be very rare that a team that finishes 3rd manages to get to a sem-final and that those that finish 2nd will more often than not fail to get to the semis.

I'd have concerns about the provincial losers getting the 2nd seeds in the group stages.

Over the years there have been a fair few very ordinary teams who have gotten a kind draw/met opposition who didn't turn up/hit a lucky patch in a game and ended up in a provincial final. On occasion you can get a weaker provincial winner which could also make for unbalance groups - given how Tipp and Cavan did in 2020 in their semi-finals, I can't help but wonder what would have happened them if they had 3 group stages to play as opposed to just one semi-final. Also getting to a provincial final could be a massive punishment for a Division 4 side. When London got to the Connacht final in 2013 they had one game against Cavan. If this new structure was in place they would have been 2nd seed and facing 3 games against very tough opposition [a provincial winner, a Division 1 and a Division 2 side] side who all would be looking to run up the score as much as possible. For any Division 4 side getting to a provincial final would look to be massively self-defeating.

I think it would have made more sense to rank the provincial losers as the 3rd seeds [possibly even 4th seeds] with the 4 highest league finishers who didn't win a provincial as the 2nd seeds. If a provincal loser finished in one of the first 4 league places, they could use their league finishing position to move up to the 2nd seed as opposed to the provincial loser 3rd seed.

I think it won't be long before you see some very unbalanced groups in terms of competiveness at the group stages, especially if a weak provincial loser and a Tailteann cup winner end up in the same group.

In the situation above the seedings for the Talteann group stages would have been

Top Seeds - Westmeath, Laois, Fermanagh, Cavan

2nd Seeds - Longford, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford

3rd Seeds - Antrim, Louth, Sligo, Leitrim

4th Seeds - Carlow, Waterford, Wexford, London

Same as Sam - 3 games home, away and neutral with the top seeds getting home advantage in the first game.

After the group stage the top teams in each group go straight into the Tailteann Cup quarter-finals. This is a home game

The four 2nd placed teams will have a home game against 3 of the 3rd best teams and New York. The 2nd placed teams all get to play at home.

The same situation as in the Sam groups will apply in terms of finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

There has been some talk from pundits about sides being desperate to avoid relegation and wanting to stay out of the Tailteann Cup.

I do think sides will want to avoid relegation but that when relegated will secretly be not too displeased at all to be in the Tailtean Cup.

In the example above for instance if there had been a prior year Tailteann Cup winner Offaly would have lost out as the lowest ranked league team.

That would have meant that instead of being 4th seeds and playing three games against one each of (Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone) (Kildare, Galway, Cork, Monaghan) and (Donegal, Armagh, Roscommon, Meath) they would three games against (Longford, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford) (Antrim, Louth, Sligo, Leitrim) and (Carlow, Waterford, Wexford, London) and then most likely at least one more game and possibly four depending on how results went.

If you were a manager which would be a better preparation for building momentum to prepare for trying to stay in Division 2 the next year. Also given they would be playing Division 2 football they would have a reasonable chance of getting into the Sam Maguire groups the following year.

That's a pretty fantastic piece of analysis. Especially the bit how how it would be better to have the 4 best placed league teams as second seeds rather than the provincial runners-up. I had to read it twice to 'get it' but now I understand it it would definitely be a good tweak.

A quick question about home advantage for teams in the Last 12 and in the quarter-finals. Do you think this is a definite commitment or an aspiration to be cast aside if Westmeath v Mayo or Monaghan v Dublin become an L12 or L8 pairing. I fear we get the old 'all the players want to play in Croke Park when they get this far' or 'lets make sure as many fans as possible can see it' routines, and the home advantage becomes limited to just a few teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Its the other way round and the voting on both proposals backed that up.

Your voting point would be relevant if those voting were players.

I really can't see teams being forced to play in Croke Park given how much of an advantage playing at home is and the fact that it's central to the whole structure in terms of being the reward for finishing first in the group and finishing second over third.

I reckon any county board who tried to get a team to do this would face a very real risk of a team downing tools/refusing to fulfill the fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

And there is a precedent for this - #NewbridgeOrNowhere

IMO they should hang it on the coat tails of the AI. Have double headers for a lot of the games. Have a triple header on AI final day too.

Does it matter what seed they'd be though?

If London got to a provincial final, they'd be in the group with provincial winners, high league placed team.

Whether they're seeded 2 or 4 doesn't make a difference as far as I can see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

With this Ulster championship been so strong precedence is it a given the Tailteann Cup will be one by an Ulster team each time ?

• Advertisement

Doesn't make any difference for a Div4 team like London.

It would have an effect if you look at it from the pov of say Tyrone being a provincial runner-up and also being in the Top 4 in the league. Whether they go into the 16 teams as a Provincial runner-up or as a team from the top tier of league teams has a wave effect on the composition of the groups. You still end up with the same 16 teams but sorted differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

While largely welcoming the new structure, (anything is better than the current set up), it does give a greater chance for some Div 4 teams to qualify for the Sam #Groups by virtue of reaching a provincial final, eg the weaker team in Connacht where there is an open draw, you could have a situation where Leitrim/London/Sligo are on one side of the draw so one of them will get to play in the Sam group stages. The same 'easier' route is not open to the weaker teams in Leinster and Ulster. Not sure what the story is re open draw in Munster.

I can see all provinces being seeded with the new championship structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The GAA fully admit that the format voted in at the weekend will need a few tweaks here and there. The provincial winners being top seeds is perfect sense as is. Provincial winners should be rewarded with 2 home games. Seedings 2, 3 and 4 should be determined by league placing.

Division 1 winners, Division 2 winners and the Tailteann Cup winners should also be rewarded with 2 home games. If the Division 3 winner also happens to qualify, they should be rewarded with 2 home games.

Winners of Divisions 1, 2, 3 (if applicable) and Tailteann Cup should be placed in different groups. If their is a vacant spot for the reward of 2 home games, a Seed 2 team can take that by luck of the draw.

The Preliminary quarter-finals are unnecessary bloating. The top 2 should go direct to the quarter-finals.

Round 1: Team 1 at home versus Team [3 or 4] and Team 2 versus Team [3 or 4].

Round 2: Round 1 winners against each other and Round 1 losers against each other. (Round 1 winners playing in Round 2 guarantees that the loser will have to win in Round 3.)

Round 3: Both games throw in at the same time. At least one of the two games will not be a dead rubber and that can take all the media attention in the build up.

The GAA have the framework of a good format. Let's enjoy the games! 🏐

The imbalance of the Munster and Leinster senior Hurling championships is irritating

6 teams in Leinster with 2 of those been relatively weaker (Laois and Westmeath) but that still means more Championship games for the Leinster teams (5 games each) while the Munster Championship only has 5 teams (4 games) and is dog eat dog each weekend

If Westmeath can go into Leinster, then why can't Kerry go into the Munster Championship giving both provincial Championships 6 teams

• Advertisement

The Munster and Leinster Championships should both be guaranteed 5 teams. The one with a 6th team should be determined by the Joe McDonagh Cup.

If Kerry win the McDonagh Cup this year. They should be promoted as the 6th team in Munster and the 6th team in Leinster should be relegated.

Next year then, the 6th team in Munster should be relegated and the Joe McDonagh winner promoted to their province.

This ensures that the 6th place team is always relegated and the McDonagh winner is always promoted to their province.

BTW: If the McDonagh runner-up were ever to win the All-Ireland, unlikely to happen for sure, then the All-Ireland winner instead of the McDonagh winner should be promoted. A GAA solution for a GAA problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Preliminary quarter-finals are unnecessary bloating. The top 2 should go direct to the quarter-finals.

But allowing the third placed team into this "preliminary quarter final" means that you eliminate dead rubbers in the group stages.

Going into the last game even a team on zero points is likely to have a shot at getting to third place.

The All Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Group Stage (a.k.a the super 8) suffered badly from dead rubbers in it short life.

I accept your point too. There are pros and cons.

If they insert a rule that R1 winners cannot play in R2, it'll be a good fit for their structure. If 2 teams with 2 wins play in R3, they are playing to win the group. The 2 losers are playing for the 3rd spot, every game has something on the line.

If they do not insert that rule, it could suit 2 teams with a win each to draw their final game so that the team without a win cannot catch them.

That's a situation where the group is 4-2-2-0 going into the last set of games, with the two teams on 2 points playing each other?

I don't think you should worry too much about them playing for a draw here, because (a) if its a draw only one of them can get a home tie in the next round so the team that would be away in the Last12 is clearly incentivised to go for the win. (b) both of them are still in a situation whereby with a win they could top the group and go straight to the quarter-finals, (c) playing for a draw in a high-scoring sport is inherently difficult, albeit if the scores happen to be tied with 5 minutes left then the game may peter out.

If the two R1 winners cannot play in R2, it guarantees the group cannot be won until R3 and no team has been eliminated. Each team definitely has something to play for in R3.

• Advertisement

Eh, it's not possible under any system for the group to be won after 2 rounds, so you are coming up with a convoluted method to solve a problem which doesn't actually exist.

After 2 games the most you can lead by is 2 points, so you can always be caught for first place on the last day. I don't believe any team can be mathematically eliminated after 2 games either.

If you win your first 2 games and those 2 teams have a win each, they cannot finish above you in R3 on the head to head.

R1: Tyrone beat Cork and Mayo beat Kildare.

R2: Tyrone beat Mayo and Cork beat Kildare.

R3: Cork and Mayo cannot win the group because of the head to head. Kildare cannot finish 3rd because they have lost to both Cork and Mayo. Only one of Cork and Mayo can finish on 2 points. Cork or Mayo on 2 points cannot be caught by Kildare due to the head to head.

R2 variant: If Tyrone and Mayo cannot play in R2, the group cannot be won until R3.

Is it head to head to decide placings. I assumed it was points difference first, hence my claim that it was not possible to win a group after two matches.

I'll take it back if I was wrong. Is there an actual document explaining the new structure in more detail than the superficial level that the newspapers used?

Head to head came in a few years ago, it's been accepted as common knowledge but it very understandable at the same time that some might be unaware. It usually comes up in discussion on the final weekend of the league.

Wouldnt scoring diff be better as less likely to have dead rubbers in Rd 3?

Head to head is better. Beat a team gives you the advantage over them. R1 winners avoiding each other in R2 is not complicated.

Someone was saying that in the Dublin Championship, the R1 winners meet in R2. That suits when 2 teams advance from a group.

I think H2H is better but scoring diff would mean less dead rubbers

H2H and no dead rubbers can both coexist:

Where 2 teams advance from a group of 4, the R1 winners must play each other in R2.

Where 3 teams advance from a group of 4, the R1 winners must play each other in R3.

Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt! Job done and we can all get on with the game!

Wont happen though, teams will want to know who and when they are playing, also venue, times etc will need to be decided in advance surely? For logisitics, ticketing, TV etc?

Time will tell. It was to under consideration for the Super 8s but the pandemic championships put an end to that.

• Advertisement

New "smart" sliotar being trialled in u-20 championships.

Professor Kieran Moran of DCU, who has been working with the GAA's director of games development & research Pat Daly on sliotar standardisation since 2003, also pointed out that contrary to common belief, heavier sliotars actually travel further due to air resistance.

Common belief would tell you heavier ball travels further.

Is this really such a problem? Have players come off pitches saying the ball wasn't right? All the talk of rim size is just a cover, it's money. That's the reason.

Should the GAA make there video archives public ?

Love watching games from previous years and a few channels on YouTube are great esp 'Tallowmangaa'. That resource I imagine is a huge strain on time for the people who run that channel but no doubt the GAA have enough money/staff etc to create a video archive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Don’t think there’s any Sporting Organisation in the world that makes it publicly available for free anyway but by right they could have it public behind a paywall. I don’t see the harm but in reality I don’t see a massive money maker from it, given the cost of bandwidth to host that many matches and develop a product around it too. Don’t see a genuine demand for it.

Not full games but anyway

https://crokepark.ie/digital-archive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Probably discussed here before but what's the reasoning behind the radical changing in scheduling with GAA football and hurling championships.

I see the hurling senior final is set for Sunday July 17th. It was traditionally the first Sunday in September. Was then moved to August in recent times and is now all over in mid July. Strange stuff from an organisation that I always felt was conservative and resistant to change. They still have the old provincial set up for example.

Is this scheduling change down to the power of the clubs? The county game in Football and Hurling is the showcase of GAA. The two All Ireland's were always a big event for kids in schools especially from the counties involved. Not sure about the thinking behind all that.

The split season, having a clearly defined club season. Think they should move the finals forward a few weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If it’s to do with defining the club season separately to the county season, why not just start the county season later in the year and finish it as they had done before with the big quarter finals, semi finals etc in late July and into August. Seems strange to not have big GAA football and hurling games to watch in August.

• Advertisement

Thats what i thought initially but the argument is that county managers etc would be pulling club players from games and no matter how you might empower co boards to over rule this, we all know how things happen on the ground.

Advertisement