Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Sorry, world is not just black and white. I understand that people are going by herd mentality and mostly look for a tribe to belong. Then comes classic - if you are not with us you must be against...

Meh. I do not care much about neither russian nor ukrainian propaganda as they both are clearly to be blamed for current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And yet it still happens. Strange that you are so morally outraged when some country invade another country and inflict damage etc... and ignore many other examples which happened elsewhere. There was zero consequences for those who participated in last few military adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ukraine is a poor country, where would you have enough Antifa to form anything more than a platoon outside of some of the nicer suburbs in Kyiv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Field east

I won’t be naming anyway as they would be taking too much space and most boardies get boarded with very long posts

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

That's a handy reason to not have an example isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Says the guy who asserts a lot but cannot evidence any of it.

You'll not find one example of me not providing evidence whenever requested either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Topic is Ukraine. Not other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thats a lie. Count back your posts (exercises in russian propaganda) over the last 48 hours and how many have sources?

You lied about the Budapest agreeement. When asked for sources you posted an irrelevent piece of communist state soviet nonsense that has nothing to do with the Budapest agreement. Its not mentioned in the Budapest agreement nor should it be.

This is your idea of a 'source'.

Your posts have no credibility. They are nothing more than Russian propaganda lies.

The lies of a fascist dictatorship.

Russia denazify yourself because it is Russia today whose words and actions are most like that of the Nazis as they illegally invade Ukraine in a war of exploitation and atrocity.

Established fact - Russia violated Budapest agreement by invading Crimea.

"In February 2014, Russian forces seized or blockaded various airports and other strategic sites throughout Crimea.[33] The troops were attached to the Russian Black Sea Fleet stationed in Crimea,[34] which placed Russia in violation of the Budapest Memorandum."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances#:~:text=Annexation%20of%20Crimea%20by%20Russia,-Further%20information%3A%20Annexation&text=In%20February%202014%2C%20Russian%20forces,violation%20of%20the%20Budapest%20Memorandum.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Provide an independent source that Russia is a "liberal democracy", that Russia is not "anti-Semitic" & most importantly that the sources you provide to support that are not orders of magnitude more biased than the sources suggesting otherwise.

Fail to do so and add yet another false assertion to your list.

• Advertisement

Initially you asked me to show where did Ukraine ever commit or sign anything that said they would not join NATO. I provided you with a link to the Ukrainian Govt website where the founding document of the state specifically stated that the newly formed state "solemnly declares its intention of becoming a permanently neutral state that does not participate in military blocs". Neither Russian nor any other miltary bloc including NATO.

You then changed tack and said that that agreement wasn't internationally recognised and you then started to demand that I agree that Russia violated the Budapest memorandum by annexing Crimea. I then said that the security memorandum was violated when the overthrow of the democratically elected President of Ukraine happened during the US/Right wing militia orchestrated Coup of 2014.

No lies. No deception. I provided you with the document you demanded initially that stated when and where the Ukraine did commit to being neutral which was the only reason that Russia would withdraw from the territory to allow it to become a new state. You then moved on to a different argument in your own inimitable manic style and have been claiming I have been lying ever since. Crazy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No that's a lie. I asked to you to show how Ukraine had violated the Budapest agreement.

You responded with lies about what happened in 2014 peddling conspiracy theory about a US coup utterly without foundation. A russian stooge was removed by the democratically elected Ukranian parliament because he was involved in corrupt dealings with russia to lock Ukraine into an unfavourable trade deal with Russia. Which are entirely irrelevent to the Budapest agreement.

You were repeatedly asked to point to the clause in Budapest which was violated by Ukraine.

You were unable to do so because you were lying then as you lie now.

Once again you provide no source for this claim despite lying earlier that you provide sources.

I then asked for a document which Ukraine signed committing it to not joining NATO.

This was obviously referring to Ukraine as a country.

You posted with an irrelevent piece of communist era from the ukranian 'state soviet', which is not Ukraine as a country.

Made even more irrelevent by the USSR's constitution which gave its 'republics' (republics in quotes as they were no such thing) the right to freely secede. Freely secede.

So all you're proven is that Russia, as the USSR's successor state can't abide by the USSR's own rules, or any international agreement it signs in its own name with your claim that:

"which was the only reason that Russia would withdraw from the territory to allow it to become a new state."

There you go. Clear violation of the USSR's constitution which allows Ukraine to freely secede.

Proven fact - Russia violated Budapest by invading Crimea.

And it can't do that because it is a gangster state, a muderous fascist dictatorship who kills its own citizens who oppose Putin - making a mockery of your claim that it is liberal democracy.

You are a proven liar and spreader of russian propaganda lies on this thread.

Russia denazify yourself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Here is your demand from June 7 where you wanted proof of "Where did Ukraine sign an agreement that they would not join NATO."

I provide you with this. Its the founding document of the state. it predates all other commitments. Ukraine violated Budapest by overthrowing the democratically elected President. That happened and that's my proof.

You want Year Zero in the conflict to be the annexation of Crimea and I disagree completely on this point so therefore we will never agree. I am no liar however no matter how many times you type it in bold.

You're reaching here fash and you know you are. You've trawled looking for lies and all you've come up with is this?

I quoted the wikipedia definition of Nazism as one poster was making up his own definition of what it was. It stated that a Nazi state is a state that has a disdain for Liberal Democracy and the parliamentary system. I stated that Russia is a Liberal Democracy that has a parliament. I can prove that it has parliament because it has a parliament. I can't prove it what kind of democracy it is as its a purely subjective subject. But it is a democracy with free elections in my opinion. I caveated this with a subjectivity statement that said "I'm sure you will all disagree".

On Anti Semitism, how do you "prove" a country is not anti semitic? I attempted by stating that Israel did not go along with the requests for Sanctions against Russia when asked and I stated they would not have done that if they felt that Russia was Anti Semitic in any way.

Why don't you "prove" that Ireland isn't anti-semitic if you can? Whatever you come up with I'm sure Alan Shatter and crew would wholeheartedly take issue with whatever you came up with.

That's because your request is unproveable. Its purely subjective.

Any others on my "list"? Please provide. Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Reg date date May 2022, spouting utter tosh stating the Duma (Reichstag) is actually a parliament in a Liberal democracy. The previous poster called you a liar. His argument supporting that statement is entirely correct.

Nonsense.

The Duma is the lower house of the Federal Assembly of Russia (parliament), the upper house being the Federation Council of Russia.(The parliament).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assembly_(Russia)

Next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The USSR also has elections but you'd be hard pressed to call them a democracy. Having a "parliament" doesn't make you a democracy, and trying to argue technicalities is a poor way to reason Russia as democratic, let alone a "liberal" one (whatever meaning that has; I doubt many in the LGBTQ community would take that assertion seriously). Even North Korea has a parliament, albeit called an "Assembly"

Exactly. Its completely subjective. But there are elections, opposition parties and a parliament. That is an uncomfortable fact. Not a lie.

Unlike Nazi Germany which had one party which was where this tiny part of the bigger debate started and I am now being given the Spanish Inquisition treatment over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The implication has been clear enough in regards Russia's Democratic Deficit, that its institutions are often little more than facades; and arguing otherwise by means of pointing at the mere existence of a Parliament as proof of a "liberal democracy" a gross exaggeration at best, and bad faith debating at worst. In real terms it's deep in the bottom rungs of the Democratic Index. As we have seen recently in Hungary, multi-parties does not equate to an equitable electoral landscape.

Yes but the issue here is whether I lie constantly or not. All that anyone could find to back up this lie that I lie is this side argument on Russians being Nazi's. I quoted the wiki definition of Nazism. We could argue all day and night about the details of Russia's "democracy" and what kind of democracy it is. But I did not lie by saying it has elections, opposition parties and a parliament.

It's quite a tedious claim to make as back up that I lie constantly. That's all anyone has. One subjective semantics disagreement. Not a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well, someone is busy dancing on the head of a ‘democratic’ pin, lately 😉

Sure, Russia has all manner of democratic paraphernalia that tick textbook definitional boxes.

But the truth of the matter is, as usual, in its democratic pudding: how do the contrarian aspects of the democracy, i.e. the opposition parties, Parliamentarians, people voicing dissent under their constitutional right to free assembly <etc, etc, etc> hold the Russian executive power to account, and balance each other?

And the answer is, unsurprisingly to anyone even remotely familiar with Russia’s treatment of its contrarians: not. at. all.

Let’s have some Wiki material for reference.

2020–21 Khabarovsk Krai protests[edit]

Main article: 2020–2021 Khabarovsk Krai protests

On 9 July 2020, the popular governor of the Khabarovsk KraiSergei Furgal, who defeated the candidate of Putin's United Russia party in elections two years ago, was arrested and flown to Moscow. Furgal was arrested 15 years after the alleged crimes he is accused of. Every day since June 11, mass protests have been held in the Khabarovsk Krai in support of Furgal.[36] On 25 July, tens of thousands of people were estimated to have taken part in the third major rally in Khabarovsk.[37] The protests included chants of "Away with Putin!", "This is our region", "Furgal was our choice" or "shame on LDPR" and "Shame on the Kremlin!"[38][39][37]

2021 Russian protests[edit]

Main article: 2021 Russian protests

On 23 January 2021, protests across Russia were held in support of the Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, who was detained and then jailed after returning to Russia on 17 January following his poisoning. A few days before the protests, an investigation by Navalny and his Anti-Corruption Foundation was published, accusing Putin of corruption. The video garnered 70 million views in a few days.[41]

Since jailing of Navalny a "hardening of the course" was observed from the government side, with a choice of "go West or East" being offered to prominent opposition figures, meaning a non-negotiable alternative of either going on emigration ("West") or to prison colonies ("East"). Among those who left Russia are politicians Lyubov SobolDmitry GudkovIvan Zhdanov (whose father had been however arrested in Russia as a hostage), Kira Yarmysh, journalists Andrei SoldatovIrina BoroganRoman Badanin. The wave of repressions has been also linked with the September 2021 Duma elections.[42][43]

2021 Russian election protests[edit]

Main article: 2021 Russian election protests

Protests against alleged large-scale fraud in favour of the ruling party were held.[44]

2022 anti-war protests[edit]

Main article: 2022 anti-war protests in Russia

See also: Protests against the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine

Following the invasion of Ukraine, protesters have used the white-blue-white flag as a symbol of opposition.[45]

On the afternoon of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Investigative Committee of Russia issued a warning to Russians that they would face legal repercussions for joining unsanctioned protests related to "the tense foreign political situation".[46] The protests have been met with widespread repression by the Russian authorities. According to OVD-Info, at least 14,906 people were detained from 24 February to 13 March,[47][48] including the largest single-day mass arrests in post-Soviet Russian history on 6 March.[49]

In February 2022, more than 30,000 technology workers,[50] 6,000 medical workers, 3,400 architects,[51] more than 4,300 teachers,[52] more than 17,000 artists,[53] 5,000 scientists,[54] and 2,000 actors, directors, and other creative figures signed open letters calling for Putin's government to stop the war.[55][56] Some Russians who signed petitions against Russia's war in Ukraine lost their jobs.[57]

Now then. A “democracy” you say? Pull the other one, tovaritch 😏

Yes. And I agree its a heavily manipulated democracy. Wouldn't want to live in such a democracy. But that's not our argument here.

The point I am being given the Stasi interrogation over is my assertion that Russia is not a one party Nazi state. Which it isn't. Its a democracy, albeit a very far from perfect democracy. We can argue about how flawed that democracy is until Putin dies but that's not the what the issue is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Russia has "democracy with Czarist characteristiscs" perhaps? Sometimes I do wish I could get to see what's under some of the lovely Russia/Putin supportive posters masks.

As others have mentioned on thread, Putin is now on record that he's remaking the Russian empire (if you can believe anything he says), and so even by his own words as well as actions of the Russian army, the Ukraine invasion is fully exposed as an old fashioned European war of conquest (who was the last fellow to really try that on in Europe?).

Thought below was an interesting article about Russia's war recruitment effort. It does seem Russia could do with more troops if Putin is ever going to have a hope to conquer Ukraine and get all the "Nazi" boogy-men infesting it bob and co are so concerned about. He does not seem very confident of how press-ganging more soldiers is going to go down with population. A stupid and pointless war can be made popular with good propaganda and messaging, but becomes less so if some one you love is sent to fight and die in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There is a Russia thread in Current Affairs to discuss Russian democracy and its lack thereof, and the "he said-she said" stuff too.

In news that actually pertains to Ukraine, NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg says that the war in Ukraine could go on for years

No longer hopes of over by Christmas, or the Russian war economy collapsing. Not in the near future anyways. As always, the big losers here are the Ukrainians, with their economy decimated and the prospect of a several year long war in their eastern territory will certainly make concessions of some sort all the more likely.

"could" go on for years. His guess is as good as anyone else's. Fact is nobody knows for sure, while the chaotic element is the man in the East. How much longer is Putin willing to commit his troops, expose his army to logistical losses, international analysis and broad military, relative embarrassment?

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Syria (and other conflicts) has shown that Russia doesn't care about right or wrong, losses, international condemnation, atrocities, sanctions and other things. They will grind a country into dust over as many years as it takes and they will see themselves as 100% in the right to do so.

The only way to stop them is to either roll over and die or to completely beat them down with a big stick like a rabid dog.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Russia isn't exactly suffering losses bombing undefended hospitals in Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

"Its a democracy, albeit a very far from perfect democracy. We can argue about how flawed that democracy is until Putin dies but that's not the what the issue is here."

Somewhat off the direct topic, but germane to the discussion of the invasion and military occupation of Ukraine nonetheless.

The assertion that Russia is a democracy is pure BS.

This assertion, of course, is all part of a thinly veiled attempt to deflect from the irredentist nature of the Russian regime. A tinpot pretend-democracy where opposition candidates who don't suit the Kremlin line, are prevented from standing in elections, or are murdered by the regime.

Democracy indeed.

It is as democratic as the former GDR, which had lots of " political parties", all aligned to the SED. Little wonder the voters called the practice of elections "falten gehen" (going to fold a piece of paper, it didn't matter what mark you made on the ballot, you just folded it and voted).

Analogies aside though; what would that entail from a Ukrainian point of view? The Russian's Syrian campaign didn't involve an antagonist so well armed, and high on morale and vigour as Ukraine - but it does make one wonder when and how will it end? Or indeed if, and it remains a big if, Ukraine removed all 2022 gains while also pushing into Crimea, what would Russia's response be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Unless Putin is removed from power from within, or the Russian economy collapses, its unlikely Ukraine will come out of this the victors. Sad but thats looking like the reality.

There hasn't been a conflict in recent times with 2 relatively modern armies like we are seeing now, and predictably there are heavy losses and slow gains on both sides. However Ukraine do not have the military firepower to reclaim their lost territories, nor do they have the logistics to get enough donated arms from NATO and utilise them effectively.

Russian long range missiles can hit Ukrainian railways, bridges, tunnels etc making the transport of heavy weapons from West to East Ukraine incredibly difficult. All the noise has been about MLRS and long range artillery since on the frontlines the Russians can simply bombard Ukrainian positions from afar, however before enough MLRS and howitzers can get moved to an effective range they need capable anti-missile defences, and sufficient ammunition.

And due to constant long range missile strikes from the Russians most arms producing factories in Ukraine itself have been bombed to sh*t. Which exacerbates their ammunition woes. What NATO need is to supply Ukrainians with such a vast number of heavy weapons at the one time so they cant possibly all get hit by long range strikes in transit across the country - but this doesnt play well politically, to admit that we are giving 150% of what Ukrainians need, because the expectation is it will get destroyed before it even gets used.

Advertisement