Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power to satellite dish?

Options
  • 20-06-2022 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,603 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this question is beyond basic, but I have an old, unused satellite dish attached to my house (put there by previous owner). It is no use, and if I decide I want satellite tv its in the wrong place anyway. I want to ask someone to take it down for me. I can only see cables that go to the tv off it, I am not sure whether there would be a power cable that is not easily visible. Does a satellite dish need a power supply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

No, there will not be a separate power supply cable to the dish. In its most basic terms they get their power via low voltage off the Coax cable that goes in to your tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No power supply going to dish as sat boxes send their current maybe 12 v - 18 v to move a motorised and never mains feed

I should have why in wrong spot ? are trees or buildings blocking its view as if it still works all you need is a box to check it with also.

Dishpointer is a site to check allignment of your dish on your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The power is provided by the same cable that carries the signal to the TV or receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,603 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its completely on the wrong side of the house and between a shed and the house - it may have been ok at some time but currently its in the wrong place. If I wanted to get satellite tv I would get a new dish on the other side of the house, however I got a basic service of free-view (RTE etc) about 6 months ago and haven't switched it on since, apart from using it for dvds for the grandchildren.

Thanks for your help everyone 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Position of sat dish should not change but wonder what it was aiming at or was anything built later?

Go onto Dishpointer and you can check alignment to see where it was going.

https://www.dishpointer.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement