Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I have no axe to grind. I’m just giving my honest evaluation of our players at present. So what’s your view on Ringrose vs Tuilagi or Vincent for example? Play the ball not the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder what Osborne can do in the future outside a Henshaw or a Ngatai or a Frawley. He's got a lot more instinctive understanding of how to put others in space than Ringrose has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Osborne is excellent but there's really no evidence of this.

This is coming from someone who thinks Frawley and Henshaw should have started v the Bulls

What sort of evidence are you looking for? I've watched him play. He consistently shows an unusually high level of understanding when it comes to drawing defenders and timing passes. This creates the maximum possible amount of space for people running off him.

Maybe an example of a try Osborne created with his "more instinctive understanding of how to put others into space"?

Was Ringrose's pass to Lowe v Connacht not instinctive enough for you? Or this?

That's two examples of Ringrose putting others into space with his passing. But since Osborne is so much better, you must have way more examples of him doing the same, right?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think they are very different players but in the same class as each other. Tuilagi is a power player more comparable to Aki though.

That's Ringrose passing to people who are already in space. He's not manipulating the defence with his running with the aim of creating space for a teammate he can then pass to. He also shows little to no understanding of how to delay a pass to create space that wouldn't have been there otherwise - like how Ben Healy delayed the pass to put someone in for the try against Leinster earlier in the season.

Osborne can actually create space that wasn't there. Okay, you ask for an example, his run and pass to Frawley for the Foley try against Munster is a good example. By running crossfield, then straightening, and then running an arc outside the defender marking him he gets the defenders to stop advancing and be caught on their heels, allowing him to put Frawley through the gap with a well-timed pass.

He's not manipulating the defence with his running with the aim of creating space for a teammate he can then pass to.

Ok sure. But that wasn't your original point. You said "He's got a lot more instinctive understanding of how to put others in space than Ringrose has". And I provided 3 examples of Ringrose putting others into space with his passing (in big games). You didn't say anything about "manipulating defenses". And perhaps Osborne is better at that aspect.

But I could just as easily say Ringrose has a far better long range passing game off both hands than Osborne. I'd also wager Ringrose's stats for running meters and clean breaks are much higher. As well as Ringrose being a top class defender. I also recall Osborne making a break v Ulster in March and delaying the pass too much before throwing it to deck, botching a probable try. Osborne's strike rate is also fairly pitiful. Ringrose's running lines himself are also better IMO. His ability to read the defenders' body language and pick a line accordingly to make yards is excellent.

That's not to say Osborne isn't a very good player with big potential, but lets not be too hasty to want Ringrose thrown out for the shiny new toy. Ringrose has had a very good season.

Osborne is good although a little flat footed for my liking but i think he has a guiding influence coaching him to create space. Richie is correct his timing of offloads and kicks is exemplary and I would even say at this stage above Ringrose.

Ringrose’s instinct is to run and find a break but he inevitably runs into traffic and is more often than not caught. Please don’t post another video of a back making a pass. It’s their bread and butter if they can’t pass to put a supporting player through they should not be on the pitch. It’s basics. And we have seen here too often Ringrose getting lauded for doing the basics.

I think the real challenge to Ringrose that is coming is from Tommy O Brien. He has the terrier like tackle style and can read the game to a similar level. I think if it comes to it over the coming seasons that both OBrien and Osborne are kept out of the 23 due to Ringrose being untouchable there is a problem in Leinster and it will have to be cut out root and branch.

Post edited by Itxa on

• Advertisement

But who is more capable attacking wise? Tuilagi is in another League in terms of creating points on the board. And don’t give me the Ringrose is a better attacking player. How much of that is based in evidence or fact? Attacking yards doesn’t present the full picture of space created for your teammate or putting players through for tries. Ringrose doesn’t commit the defender, he’s too slight and not fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lol.

Please don't post videos making a mockery of the terrible argument I'm putting forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesus! 40 odd caps, 100 for Leinster, multiple silverware. Let's just take a **** on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ringrose is a far better defender. Has a better passing range. Tualagi makes more line breaks purely based on power. If you want to just pick one metric and ignore all the other factors. That displays an inherent bias. Not sure if he pissed in your cornflakes or what it is but making comments like “he’s URC standard”. Make it very hard to take anything you say seriously.

So the centers next season are Ngati, Henshaw, Ringer and Osborne. I thought Turner was going to be on a development contract! I am assuming that Frawley will be reverted to out half? Tommy O'Brien is also available to play inside center? Is there a possibility that Larmour could be tried in center? I'm thinking if there's injuries, international windows etc. I don't think there's a shortage of talent, Ngati will be available throughout and Osborne too! I'm thinking if Turner is not signed, who is the breakglass option if TOB is out til the new year and the international players are away or being rested. If Larmour does not make the international squad, is he an option?

Professional sports is a strange beast. Just watched Leicester beat Saracens in the Premiership Final.

We comfortably beat the former this season, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to beat the latter.

It is strange. I think we'd struggle with Sarries. On the other hand, the Tigers are probably improving. Albeit, they are losing Ford next season. So, they probably won't be as good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, like handre Pollard isn't much of a replacement 😜

All I've seen of the game is the drop goal clip on twitter, but Saracens' defence doens't look as oppressive as it used to be. Leinster would be able to get go-forward against them, is what I'm thinking.

• Advertisement

So Leinster end the season as the third or fourth best team in the League, and the second best team in the European Cup. Somewhat disappointing, you would have to say - considering they perhaps looked like the best team in both competitions for much of the season.

They probably are thereabouts. It was a disappointment. But, that's sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah thsts sport. Bit disappointing on both fronts but it sold be useless if leinster won everything. For that matter, it would be pretty useless if the best team always won.

Decent season. Lots of good game tikenfor the likes of Jimmy O Brien, Joe O Connor and Dan Sheehan.

I thought leinsyer looked very tired at the end of the season maybe they were overtrained towards the end. The famous Stusdays might have been misjudged.

There is plenty to work on for next year. The scrum is a problem and strength in depth at prop needs to be improved over the coming years. A serious injury to the starting props would leave them very vulnerable.

With the upcoming season there's lots to be excited about. There will be lads pressing on and pushing for minutes. In particular, I think a run of games and a healthy preseason will benifit Milne. His development will be crucial for Leinster. He could be a really good back up for Porter. Clarkson will hopefully get more playing time. Ala Alatoa is only signed for next season. Minutes and experience for Clarkson is important, we may not retain Ala Alatoa. I don't think Clarkson will be an international standard player but, I would hope he can play to a high standard

The 2nd row could be stacked. Jenkins, hopefully can contribute and mcCarthy looks to be very good. Deeny and Charlie Ryan are both big men and hopefully they can add to the team.

Connors coming back will be great! Alongside Penny, we have massive depth. Look for Soroka to play more also. I would say that the back row options are probably the deepest in Europe.

I would gladly take any silverware. Winning the double would be extremely difficult. Leinster should be contenders on both fronts. We'll also see more of HB and Frawley at 10. These lads have the tools to be very good, imo. Sexton is in his last season and the reins will be handed off. I think RB will have a difficult time holding on to his position. I believe he's reached his level and won't improve.

Should make for interesting times@

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe Abdeladze can get an injury free run and show his mettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Does anyone have a depth chart for each position for next tear?

Taking a stab:

Lh; Porter, Healy, Byrne, Milne

Hooker; Kelleher, Sheehan, Treacy, McKee(academy)

Th; Furlong, Big Mike, Clarkson, Abaladze

Lh lock; Molony, McCarthy, Deeny

Th lock; Ryan, Jenkins, Ryan

Blindside; Doris, Baird, Rudduck

7. VDF,Connors, Penny

8. Conan, Deegan SOB( academy)

9. JGP, Luke, Foley

10. JS, RB, HB, Frawley?

11. Lowe, Kearney, Russell (academy)

12. Henshaw, Ngati, Frawley?, TOB

13. Ringer, Osborne, Turner

14. Larmour, JOB, TOB, Russell

Fb. Keenan, JOB, MOR

I think that's everyone!

I'm very glad that Leinster Rugby seems to have created an environment where players can openly discuss their sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Brilliant, delighted for Nick McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's sad that something like this is even a story

Advertisement