Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Who are you responding to? Myself and OEJ tend to have very different viewpoints on this topic, so... putting us together is rather strange.

And considering your own contributions, you don't seem to be addressing anything that I would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Also, how did the person who started the petition know their status?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Of course you won't find anything about it.

That's the point.

It's still illegal though... and you said it wasn't. no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah I get it, but no, I don’t work for any NGO or anything. My interest is solely from a human rights perspective. I disagree with the idea that feelz should have no place in asylum claims, they’re often the basis upon which deportation orders are reversed on appeal and leave to remain in the country is granted -

The International Protection Act sets out what the Minister should consider when making a decision to grant or refuse permission to remain.

• The nature of your connection to Ireland
    • Humanitarian considerations
    • Your character and conduct both in Ireland and abroad, including criminal convictions
    • National security and public order
    • Any other considerations of the common good

The Minister must also consider if there is a risk that returning you to another country could lead you to suffer harm. In particular, the Minister will consider if you are at risk of torture, degrading treatment or of facing the death penalty.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/refugee_status_and_leave_to_remain/leave_to_remain.html

The country isn’t full. Such a concept doesn’t exist. With 50,000 babies being born every year in Ireland, and net immigration of 10,000 people in any given year, there’s still plenty more room to accommodate the 30,000 refugees we’ve taken in from Ukraine alone.

Thank you for proving my point. I won't bother engaging in discussion with you. Have a lovely day.

Any country that allows abortion must allow euthanasia in my opinion, in the name of legal consistency. If anything euthanasia should be allowed before abortion is allowed, as it's completly centered on pure autonomy; one person deciding to end their own life, and not one person deciding to stop the potential life of another.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

There go the toys out of the pram again 🙄

You really don't like it when someone disagrees with you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Advertisement

Apply this to just about everything from hospital beds to school places to accommodation etc and it is the sum of it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Di you ever manage to actually back up your assertion that immigration was only going to be a small part of Irelands population increase? Last I remember you linked a document that projected the opposite 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually good traffic management systems (i.e. traffic lights systems) will prevent that by reducing the ingress traffic - when engineers are allowed to find the solution they will.

Ahh... I'm not so sure.. I've seen modern Chinese cities with their grid layouts, roads with 4-8 lanes (they've so much space to work with), traffic lights, and even human intervention with police signallers ... and the problems with traffic still happens. At some point, the population of vehicles becomes too much, so when there's a slight hickup with the Traffic system (nothing is perfect), it has a domino effect along a long line of intersections.

Also, my SimCity projections generally have the same problem once certain population milestones are reached 😂

even human intervention with police signallers

Yeah human intervention with virtue signalers, that's the source of the problem :)

That's 950 new Irish citizens, hurray. Delighted to see these ceremonies back to being in-person events.

An interesting stat in the article, 148,000 people have gone through the process since 2011. Not a bad start

RTE news : New citizens overjoyed as in-person ceremonies return

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Exactly - housing, health care, education and so on are limited by resources. Whereas mass migration is limitless. You simply cannot supply facilities as fast as mass migration can fuel more demand for those facilities. This is - partly - the reason mass migration draws such support from Irelands rentier classes.

And in the meantime, it is the indigenous Irish who suffer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You really see this like some quasi religious happy clappy duty to stuff as many non Irish people into the country. An article of faith with little logic behind it and not open to much scrutiny, if any. That would be a heresy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

He really does. I had to just ignore him in the end, the endless copy and paste articles he posts day in day out with whatever pro diversity multicult nonsense he can find. If mixed race or pro African even better. It's hard to tell if it's trolling or desperation. Either way, it's a sad thing to desperately trawl through mainstream and social media looking for articles to post on the success of multicult in Ireland when we all know that it isn't successful.

I have an alternative view of the topic, that is all.

In other news, I welcome news that supports are to be provided for 3rd level Ukrainian students who have arrived here.

The measure, approved by Cabinet today, will ensure displaced Ukrainians will be treated as European students and will not be subjected to international fees.

The national Erasmus grant allocation will also be used to fund financial supports for qualified persons who undertake full-time studies in Higher Education Institutions, as well as displaced academic staff.

Displaced Ukrainian students will also be eligible to access the Springboard+ programme and PLC courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your "alternative view" boils down to: Diversity is great, more please! as a benediction. However, you can field near zero arguments for nor apply critical examination to this belief beyond a near fetish for exoticism and It Just Is. That's not much of a view, alternative or no and far better describes a blind faith.

It's also been the general trend thoughout history of Good Ideas that were taken as read by cultures, until they (mostly) realised they were in fact Bad Ideas.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just to be clear, is "alternative view" the PC term for delusion?

Not really, I gave detailed rebuttals, provided reports, studies, analysis etc to back all of it up and so on, very early on after joining in on this thread.

Folks choose to rant and sling personal insults rather than engage so I discontinued as it wasn't worth the effort.

Since then the thread continues to go around in circles, with the same old "dam de forners" silliness.

I choose to counter it with positivity in the form of new information, stories, articles etc.

Nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

Agreed. The problem is that in order to engage with some posters you have to accept the presupposition that multiculturalism is bad and they view all these studies in that lense. There is not much critical thought, just "immigrants taking jobs! immigrants taking medical care so my parents cant (lol), immigrants - think of the kids (despite none of these people reproducing)". If there were some cogent arguments I would entertain them but when you're talking to people with 10000+ anti immigrant posts, you're not going to get a worthwhile discussion. I challenge any of these people to drop their presuppositions and engage in good faith. One of the key things you must do before you take an opinion is to truly understand the other sides view to the point where you could make their arguments. This also applies to reading a book. The first thing you do is truly understand the authors position and where it comes from. I will continue to give repeated encouragement to posters to engage in good faith and have a good friendly discussion where we are both starting from scratch and willing to change our opinions in the face of strong evidence.

This really typifies what we're dealing with

It's very clear that the regime doesn't even want the topic to be discussed, and would happily let the elephant in the room get bigger and bigger. Once again though, the only bit of sanity that we're seeing in this nation politically is coming from independents, which makes me think that Ireland would be a much better place without political parties.

If there were some cogent arguments I would entertain them

You have not once engaged any of the points put forward by posters on this thread. You've generalised the comments made, dismissing the logic used, and pandered to a poster whose bias has been revealed many many times.

Your whole post is pure cringe. You make a challenge? haha. seriously? The times previously where I attempted to draw you into a discussion, you deflected, and shifted goalposts. Probably the reason you like DaCor so much, you both have the same posting manner.

Here's a suggestion. The objections of posters to multiculturalism are repeated throughout the thread.. and no, they're not the reasons you listed above. Perhaps deal with those criticisms, countering those arguments used, and then, we might feel that it's worth taking up your challenge.

"Good faith" spoken of from a poster who came into this thread and lied through his/her teeth about seeing videos and posts from the far right who were supposedly getting angry over an African/Irish person scoring a goal. The same poster usually just posts about "old men", and never makes any actual points. Sometimes I think they've no self-awareness, other times I wonder are the WUMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

As I said I'm happy to engage and once again I will give you some repeated encouragement to make the arguments in good faith and lets have a friendly discussion where we both show respect to each other. I'm more than happy to engage with people who will make their arguments in good faith. Once again I will continue to give repeated encouragement to those posters and hopefully someone will take me up on it. There is no need for hostility. The hostility is dripping off your post and you expect people to engage with you seriously which is a real shame. Unfortunately posts with that kind of hostility lead to a degrading discussion where nothing of note is achieved. I don't know about you but I have young kids which take up a lot of my time so there is no point in me engaging with people who won't engage in good faith, despite the repeated encouragement I'm giving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Advertisement