Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on Beaches

Options
  • 12-06-2022 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

While there are signs on most beaches in Clare advising that no dogs allowed between 11AM AND 6PM , Theses signs are constantly ignored.

Who is responsible for enforcement ?.

In itself the 11 to 6 rule is too short . I have seen dogs foul the beach before 11 with the tide gone out thus, leaving their waste on the beach for the day while children are playing on the same sand.

Post edited by MarkR on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You could probably contact the environmental office. https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/environment/control-of-animals/dog-control/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are these rules legal though?

If they were I’d encourage you to speak up to the person walking the dog

Drives me spare seeing it too - at least if you were to say it, if it was illegal of them to do it, you wouldn’t feel as bad saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

These are council byelaws.

My main problem is I have a young daughter (8Yrs )with a very mild autism which includes a fear dogs. If she sees a dog on a beach she will not venture onto the beach or, scream to leave if she sees one approaching.

I cannot accept that a dog can have freedom on a beach than a young child.

On a few occasions that I approached dog owners , the most polite response I got was "Get Stuffed"

On a few occasions that I approached dog owners , the most polite response I got was "Get Stuffed"

And rightly so. The world does not revolve around you and your child.

Dogs are excluded after 11am until 6pm, so keep your visits to those times.

So what should they do in between those times if someone is walking their dog on the beach? (Very often without a leash etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The age old debate. Rights of people that don't like dogs v the rights of people that do like dogs and walking with them. Autistic people and people with other mental health problems enjoy having their dogs too. Will never be resolved, just depends on which side of the fence you are on. I'm on the side of the right to have your dog out in public and enjoy beaches and parks, once the dog is under control.

Keep their distance.

If someone is breaking the bye-laws, then they may have reason to complain.

But before 11am and after 6pm, (as per the bye-laws) the dog owners have as much right to be on the beach with their dogs as anyone else.

Ya - but not between 11am and 6pm

It mightnt just be about keeping distance. Dogs can be off leashes which isn’t nice if a child has any fear of them.. or be **** all over the place etc

Take it up with the County Council, if you have a problem. They set the bye-laws.

But they're not going to ban all dogs from the beaches 24/7 just because yours or someone elses child has a fear of them.

Talk about a sense of entitlement.

Nobody’s talking about banning them 24/7 - are you reading the posts

We’re talking about the specific times.

How’s it entitlement? It’s about having clean public land to enjoy without having dogs running around freely

• Advertisement

Yes, I am reading them, and the OP most definitely gave the impression that she does want them banned 24/7. As it is, a 7 hour window is not big enough for her and her child.

That is entitlement.

If it were my child, I would be working on resolving why they are afraid of dogs - not expect dogs to be banned from being within her sight for her comfort.

We're not going to reach agreement on this, I believe dog owners have as much right to enjoy the beaches with their dogs, as parents do with their kids.

So I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for leaving it like that, couldn’t bear reading another post of yours

Unfortunately, not everyone likes dogs, some having fears of them

Couple that with dog ****, barking etc, and it’s a very reasonable ask to have a few hours a day of no pets on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A sense of entitlement is leaving your dog sh1t everywhere and not bother your arse picking it up. The usual dog turds appearing when the sun decides to appear at my local beach. Makes a complete mockery of Blue Flag status.

Oh the drama! Dear God, get over yourself.

Fully agree on the points about picking up after your dogs, but not on a ban on ALL dogs, because a minority don't.

What about the family whose dog is part of their family and their kids want to bring the dog with them on family outings to play with them? Thats part of the fun of owning a dog. It also encourages exercise.

See? We can all make it about "our“ kids if we're that self-entitled.

As for a fear of dogs - that sounds like a "you" problem to deal with, not anyone else's. Again, the world doesn't revolve around you. Or your kids.

Thought you said you'd 'leave it at that'

Nobody is on about banning all dogs. People are asking for rules that are THERE, to be adhered to, rather than people blatantly ignoring them and not being penalised, and even at times, being rough to people who complain

I'm allowed change my mind. It's a free country.

And hark at you, you didn't even know what the rules were, until they were explained to you.

This was already addressed —

The OP was not just complaining that the current bye-laws were being ignored, but that a 7 hour a day window was not big enough for her.

I've already made the point that I agree that dog owners should pick up poops, but not that dogs should be banned, or banned for more hours of the day, to suit them, or anyone else.

You’ve lost the plot

Nobody said they should be banned - People just want rules to be adhered to

You’d hardly park in a disabled spot when it’s a against the law to?

I assume by your attitude that you have never had to deal with a child with mental problems --lucky you .

I have no problem with service dogs as these are not banned and are always under control .

My problem is with the owners who break the law and, let their mongrels run wild and disturb everybody.

I trust you never had to deal with child or, adult for that matter with any mental disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

People have a right to bring dogs onto beaches as long as (a) they keep them on a leash and (b) clean up their mess. Unfortunately, in my experience, many dog owners do neither and look askance at you if you remind them to c;lean up and keep the dogs away from everyone else.

• Advertisement

Oh c'mon! The dogs in the street could see the sub-text in the OPs original posts.

"I see dogs fouling before 11am..."

"I cannot accept that a dog can have freedom on a beach than a young child".

Yada yada yada. There was only one direction that was going, and it wasn't to enforcement.

Both, actually.

I've also dealt with a lot of Karens in my time.

to be fair the OP is not asking for the rules to be adhered to, she is asking for the hours to be increased, she states that 11-6 is too short even though this is the by-law. I think 11-6 of dog free time is perfectly reasonable...... and yes it should be adhered to but I very much doubt anyone will police it (especially the Gardai). The remainder of the time, early mornings and evenings should be for dog owners and they should pick up their dog's poop.

also on the mental health issue and disabilities, many people have therapy dogs and use dogs to help their mental health. They are great for people living on their own with depression. Plenty of people have mental health issues, many of them look perfectly ok on the outside. You just dont know anyone's reason for owing a dog. So please be tolerant of everyone as long as they pick up their dog poop.

I do admit I would prefer no dogs on beaches but the law is there banning them between certain times and, this is neither being adhered to by selfish dog owners or enforced by the local authority.

How would you react if I drove my car onto a beach and aimed it towards you thus breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭denismc

I think the bye laws are required to maintain a beach's "Blue Flag Status", So they are only in effect in some beaches.

As regards dogs and children in my experience, its the children that want to approach the dog rather than the other way round.

Only once ever have I met a child that was terrified of dogs, it turned out that the child's mother had passed on her fear to her child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The rubbish left behind by humans is more offensive.When I was a child, I cut my foot on brokem glass at the beach. And kids playing football on the beach annoy me, should they be banned as well? I don't want a football in my face. But I believe in live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Dogs on Bitches should be banned.

Specially in Clare.

• Advertisement

Of course you have. The answer was never going to be ‘no I haven’t’ there

Very convenient

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement