Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Yoda bit is in the first clone wars series the 2D samurai jack looking one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seriously any reason why they didn't actually kill Reva?!? Ah naw we will just leave you here wounded...and walk away be grand. The shoot out was also ropey...

"We will leave you in the gutter as we found you"

Baddies doing stuff like this always brings to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed that episode. The last two have been very high quality stuff.

That fight scene....... Awesome.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

That was another terribly written episode.

Okay, we know storm troopers aren't known for their great aim but Obi-Wan et al were the fish in the proverbial barrel and the storm troopers may aswell have been aiming at the sky.

Reva getting the storm troopers to use a blaster on the blast doors but can then open it with her light saber.....why the hell not do that in the first place.

Closing the roof door to trap them inside but then try get in through the blast door....why not blast them from up high through the roof door (I have the high ground Anakin...ffs)

Reva on a mission to kill Vadar because the order killed all her friends, also decides to chop off a rando's hand and tried to kill Wade....makes no sense if they actually try to present her as good person.

Obi-Wan being stupid again and leaving a trail back to Tatooine....duh

Death by lightsaber stab....nah

Vadar uses the force on the wrong ship....sure why not

Tracker on the droid suddenly knows the innards of the bay and where to go to chop the wires, decides not to use those same choppers on Leia...hmmmm

I'm just awaiting the scene where Obi-Wan will be holding a Costa coffee cup on Tatooine (the writing here is on par with those last seasons of GOT)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Opinion: Would it not have been better for Vader to kill Tala ? Kind of revenge for Padme ? It was clear Kenobi was going weak at the knees for her, living alone in a cave in the desert is not natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

At this point I'm just watching in awe of how bad they've managed to make this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Watchable if you are a genuine fan. I would prefer it slightly grittier if I am honest. McGregor is doing nothing wrong, maybe not enough Star Wars in some of these spin offs. I need intergalactic dog fights, give me more whining Tie fighters blasting and whizzing across my screen in a prolonged barrel role please. "I've got you now Skywalker " etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Didn't Reva and her gang Lynch that jedi to death in episode one🤨 and wasnt she about to punch Owens ticket too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Have you seen Picard ??? …. It could be a lot lot worse…. A lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Ep 5 was the first one i enjoyed despite the flaws in writing mentioned above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In Empire Strikes Back, Vader is assured by his bridge crew that they have disabled the hyperdrive on the Falcon; their capture is inevitable and the tractor beam will be suffic- until our heroes unexpectedly fix their hyperdrive. In a way I think he's just as guffed that Luke didn't choose to surrender.

Rogue One makes far less sense: Vader was really into himself with his Sith vibes chopping down a hallway of goons, then he sees the ship flying off, and he just stands there and let's it jump to hyperspace and roll credits. This is a biggo plothole if I'm being honest. It wouldn't even matter if you assumed Vader knew his daughter was on the ship, letting her jump away still made no sense for the urgency of the situation - the loss of the death star plans.

ew worse: why does Vader just let Luke jump?

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Acosta

Vader has never looked less imposing. There was no need to have Christensen in the suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The original body actor is dead. Introducing a new body double into the Covid bubble might have been too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As long as the bould James Earl is voicing him he's still Vader to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,693 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They used 2 body doubles idk what’s being talked about here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not finishing off Reva was my biggest problem with the episode. I think that's indefensible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not bad for my lowered expectations. I suppose it a more coherent episode but the flip flopping of Reva, that she's still living and that they all managed to escape sounds like story in search of a clear plotline.

• My predictions for Wednesday

• Kenobi and Vader have a duel. Kenobi wins by a slight margin and somehow convinces Vader that he has died
    • Reva goes to Tatooine and kidnaps Luke and his Uncle
    • Kenobi comes to Tatooine to rescue them and is helped by the spirit of Qui-Gon to defeat Reva. Kenobi stays on Tatooine watching over Luke

What are other peoples predictions for the last episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Brashy

ugh ... enough with the star wars. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but it seems like we've been bombarded with more and more star wars for about 20 years now and I'm fairly done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I predict the writing is going to be shockingly bad again and some things won't make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭MOR316

I do find it funny, people giving out about the writing and plotholes...

It's Star Wars. The writing, ESB aside, has always been ****. Look at OWK and Vader's first "fight" in A New Hope. Kenobi is calling him Darth as if it's his first name. Leia gobbing her brother ffs...

The entire franchise is a massive plot hole! Personally, I'm just happy to see Vader. Couldn't care less about anything else.

Doubt it. Luke was pretty clueless in A New Hope so...

Then again, it's Star Wars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Luke (and the audience) didn't know she was his sister at that point. Yes still cringe-worthy to watch once you know but also actually decent writing as it's accurate for what we and they knew at the time.

Kenobi calling him Darth sticks with him not wanting Luke to know it was his Dad (and the simple fact it would remove the twist later, and trust me an an era without the internet it was a hell of a reveal at the time :) ).

This is similar to an age old argument that you can never question the writing for Fantasy/Scifi because...well, lasers and dragons. Good fiction establishes the rules for it's world and plays within them no matter how out-there those rules seem. Bad makes it up as it goes regardless. Star Wars presents it's populace trait-wise as modern humans with advanced tech, and well, The Force. They have wits and eyes similar to ourselves. When things reliant on basic human trappings and nature happen that we think are ludicrous and could never succeed here we know based on the rules they presented they shouldn't happen there. Kenobi could never walk Leia out under his fkn coat. A wall of troopers marching and firing at a smaller group of rebels literally 10 feet away can't miss that much. Bad guys wouldn't let opponents get away so often. So many many things this show does that are just face-palm leaders into the next scene because they were too stupid to transition properly and think we're too stupid to notice or care.

The new show's writing is just plain sloppy and senseless. It takes massive shortcuts that appear simply there to facilitate some intermittent good visual scenes. Which ties into Disney's new habit of pre-visualising scenes before the movies/shows are even shot, with the showrunner and team having to work around it. Some do it well, this team do it incredibly badly. It's like every good idea gets swamped in 5 bad ones, and terrible lazy implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Saying "it's Star Wars" is not really an excuse for the kinds of issues that most Disney Star Wars productions have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can only speak as a man who has watched half the series ... but I find myself circling the same thought as I did with Boba Fett & Mando WRT criticism: if this wasn't Star Wars, would we be less lenient for any perceived failings - or more?

I also can't help feel that if this didn't have the safety net of a bankable IP, the production might have been a little tidier, less slapdash across the various shows. While its audience would be less forgiving. It's a total hypothetical and then some mind, but "it's Star Wars, stupid" feels too pat. But then most new IPs don't try to marry 50 years of fandom and emotional investment, with the needs of marketing and the demographic of children it would have to cater to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Watched epi4/5 over the weekend - solely to join the finale prediction lmao.

Nothing much to say other than the absolute atrocities in the execution/details of this series (so far). I had to look up the budget of each episode (i knew the whole thing is like 200mil), around 25mil per episode 🤣 for the love of god ahaha. Please that budget really made me question we are in the same reality as the recent The Expanse and BCS (and most other competent shows that cost no where near half or even 1/10 of that budget).

The best thing came from out from the whole thing (so far), and for the SW fans, is that Vader force ship scene and of course the vs Anakin flashback (mind you, even the execution is not top tier but at least some effort put into them). Disney SW stuff (so far) really burned the good will to the ground (same for Boba) at this stage, of course a show about Obiwan will be the most watched - because of the fans from the prequels (20 years ago btw), but goddamn the quality is just laughably bad.

So I have no doubt that Reva will die for Luke next episode.

The whole 'subverting' expectation moment what we saw from the 'reveal' of Reva in epi5 is all toooo familiar to Ryan Johnson's EPI9, and it instantly reminds me of the 'new' SW theme under Kathleen Kennedy. Oh look it is actually not Obiwan who sacrificed something here but someone else did.

So ya this is exactly what i feared and i posted like 3 weeks ago, the obiwan series is actually about 'Reva's origin story'.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119143325/#Comment_119143325

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I am really getting this strong impression that Deborah Chow is just like 'feck it i do my job and i go home'. Who is exactly there to influence Boba and Obiwan (and more to come scarily scheduled for next 2 years) and give us these consistently crap productions and writings lmao.

abit OTT:

We actually watched Serenity (just random pick didnt know it is on Netflix) over the weekend, a 2005 movie actually aged well and i wouldn't even mind if they literally copied pasted the scenes from that directly into Solo or Boba - and that movie budget was 39mil😂 the chase scenes and effects are miles better (and the plot/characters actually are competently written). Would strongly recommend it if you have been depressed by Disney SW stuff (i didnt even watch much of Firefly back then so i am not really a fan - and maybe i should go find and finish it...).

Well, I say it's Star Wards because the writing in Star Wars has always been shoddy. Disney or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm pretty much of the same opinion pix. Disney know that they have a captive audience, or at least a substantial number of audience members that will have make excuses for the poor state of what they are producing in the name of Star Wars. There are legions of people out there that would watch a paint drying seminar if it had Star Wars in the title and make every excuse under the sun in order to fend off anyone who criticises it.

'Kenobi' has been so mediocre it's net even funny. But there are loads of people who will sing its praises with loud voices simply because it's more Star Wars and that does it for them, which is grand. But it does nothing to change the fact that Disney need to up their game in a number of areas with regards to the franchise. Because quality wise, they've only had two hits from a consensus POV, 'Rogue One' and 'The Mandalorian'. Everything else has been meh to awful for a huge number of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Advertisement